Thirty one - Yejissues

let me hear your thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ning Yi Zhuo googles "what does a typical red flag look like" and sees the cliché ones appear on her search results.

 

She clicks on a suspicious-looking blog and right away regrets choosing it. In this blog, it says they look like they’re straight out of a magazine, usually in black leather jackets, with perfect hair even though they just got their helmets off, and sporting a motorcycle that’s too handsome for an actual motorcycle that's double their size.

 

(Ningning squints at this blog she’s reading and wonders if this is even real.)

 

But then, according to this blog, Hwang Yeji is a total red flag.

 

(She knows it deep inside, but a little more research wouldn’t hurt, right?)

 

She looks at the time, 6:28 PM, and hears loud honks outside her place.

 

This is the third time Hwang Yeji is picking her up for one of their “hang-outs”.

 

She’s late, having promised to pick her up at 6:00 PM, and Ningning would be lying if she would say she’s not disappointed.


She is, but she’s no longer surprised.

 


Apparently, it’s also another characteristic of people that are red flags.

 

She grabs her denim jacket and pulls her phone from the charging dock and heads out to meet the person she’s been seeing since the summer break started.

 

The physical embodiment of a red flag herself.

 

 

Ningning recalls the first time she agreed to hang out with the girl.

 

 

*Flashbacks*

 

 

“It’s gonna be fun, I swear.” She remembers Yeji’s voice on the phone.

 

“I’m not too sure about that.” Ningning replies.

 

“I’ll introduce you to my friends.” Yeji persuaded.

 

And that, she did.

 

Except Ningning didn’t have an idea that Yeji’s friends are college students from JYP-U and total red flags themselves.

 

And that she’s meeting them in a bar.

 

“You do realize I’m still underage, right?”

 

“Don’t worry, I know the guys here, they’ll let you pass if you stick with me.” Yeji winks.

 

It’s not the problem but—

 

She feels Yeji pulling her into the ocean of sweaty people grinding unto each other, reeking with alcohol and nicotine. They arrive at a table with a few girls and guys, way older than both Yeji and Ningning are.

 

“Ooooh, a new face. You’re on the roll, Yej.” Ningning hears a guy seated from the center of the U-shaped table speak, looking at her, smirking.

 

“Shut up, Jackson. It’s not like I bring a lot of people here.”

 

“Sure, jan.” Ningning looks at the source of the voice before raising her eyebrows because the girl is looking at her like she’s a meal.

 

“Yi Zhuo, these are my friends, BamBam, Young-jae, Jackson, Nayeon, and that’s Sana.”

 

Ningning looks at them bashfully and just waves a little.


“She’s barely legal, why the hell bring her here, Hwang?” Nayeon comments and Yeji just shrugged.

 

“Come here, Yi Zhuo, right? Do you drink?” Jackson comments and Ningning feels more than uncomfortable being surrounded by older people she doesn’t even know. She looks at the glass filled with probably an alcoholic drink, before looking at Yeji worriedly.

 

The girl she came with was busy laughing about something Nayeon was saying whilst taking off her leather jacket. Ningning sees her in a crop top too small for her own liking.

 

“Come on, butterfly. You can do it.” Jackson urges and pushes the shot glass towards the youngest.

 

Ningning didn’t know she was shaking until she tries to lift the glass.

 

In two seconds though, it’s being snatched from her hands, and she looks back to see Yeji wincing as the alcohol burns down .


“Wang, don’t do that. She’s not drinking anything.” Yeji warns the guy and Jackson just raised his hands in surrender.

 

“Then why is she here?” Nayeon comments again and Ningning knows they obviously don’t like her.

 

“No offense, baby, but it looks like you’re not going to have fun here unless you drink,” Nayeon adds and offers her own half-filled beer bottle.

 

“Yah, I said she’s not drinking.” Yeji swats again and looks at Nayeon angrily.

 

“I’m just saying, those other girls you brought last time are way more fun. Why’d you even want to bring an underage here?”

 

“You know what, we’re leaving.” Yeji says with finality, grabbing her jacket in her left hand and dragging a confused Ningning on her right.

 

 

 

Ningning calls Ryujin that night, like any other night when she wanted to talk to someone about her Yejissues.

 

“I’m just so ing confused, like, why would she bring me there? I’m not cut out for that place. It was so uncomfortable.” Ningning whines.

 

“What happened after that though?” Ryujin asks.

 

“Well, we were quiet for the whole ride and we stopped by the Han River, she bought me some corndogs and we ate in silence.”

 

“Hmmm. And after that? She brought you home right away?”

 

“Yeah, and she didn’t say anything. She didn’t even say she’s sorry. She just said goodnight and drove off in her stupid motorcycle.” Ningning sighs. “Why is she like this?” Ningning grunts frustratingly.

 

“My opinion is, well, it’s just an opinion so take this with a grain of salt.” Ryujin starts.

 

“I’m assuming she’s trying to be serious with you by introducing you to her usual peeps, except well, they're not the usual people you’re supposed to hang out with,” Ryujin adds. “But, she knows nothing other than that, and that environment is the only thing she’s used to, so she brings you there in hopes you see what’s her usual life and who she hangs out with.”

 

“Huh.”

 

“Doesn’t make her any less of a red flag, if you ask me.” Ryujin added.

 

Ningning tells her about Yeji swatting the drinks offered to her.

 

"She's considerate, okay." Ningning explains.

 

“I see. But, Yi Zhuo, always be careful, alright? Don’t try and defend every wrong thing she’s doing.”

 

 

-

 

 

Now that first experience should have been a warning not to go and hang out with Yeji again.

 

Except, Ning Yi Zhuo always forgets how persuasive the girl can be, and how she’s literally in the girl’s mercy whenever she gives those pouty lips and tantalizing eyes.

 

“I promise, this one’s different, okay?”

 

“Is this a bar again, Yeji-unnie?” Ningning queries.


“Yes, but it’s not like that one, I swear. I haven’t brought anyone there, not even any of my friends.”

 

“And why should I come with you again?”


“I—well, I just want you to see what I do.” Yeji hums. “Maybe it’ll let you know me more, and I don’t know, I just want to see how you look like in my places..” Yeji murmurs.


Ningning recalls her conversation with Ryujin and thinks— maybe this is what Ryujin meant when she said Yeji wants to see me in her world.


Somehow, Yeji sounded so vulnerable that Ningning just muttered a quick okay.

 

“Okay! I’ll pick you up at 7 tonight. Thank you, Yi Zhuo, thank you!” Yeji tells her and she wonders how cute Yeji can be when she's like this.

 

 

 

The second time was indeed different. Yeji wasn't late. In fact, she's 10 minutes early.

 

Whilst Hwang Yeji is still in her perfect black leather jacket and perfect hair while getting her helmet off, she’s got this soft smile that Ningning knows she’s a er for.

 

“Are you sure about this?” Ningning asks as Yeij hands her another helmet, barely noticing a new design on the said gear.

 

“I’m pretty sure. You’ll love this.” Yeji smiles. “Here, look.”

 

Yeji points at the design—a blue and pink butterfly doodle on the side of the helmet, with NYZ scribbled in messy handwriting.

 

Ningning grazes her fingertips on it and realized it’s actually spray-painted on the helmet.

 

“Do you like it?” Yeji asks patiently. “I noticed you love butterflies and so yeah..” Yeji looks down, biting her lip.

 

“I love it.” And Ningning was being honest when she said that. She pulls it over her head and almost stopped breathing when Yeji moved closer to help her wear it. 

 

It doesn't really help the older hasn't tried to kiss her again since the last time when Ryujin accidentally saw them.

 

She's ing craving.

 

 

 

 

This bar is indeed different than the first one Yeji brought her to.

 

This one has a chill ambiance, with people at tables and islands rather than dancing wildly on the dance floor.

 

There’s a mini-stage with instruments and mic stands, and Yeji calls for a waiter to get them a table.

 

“Table for two, please? Hwang Yeji.” She stated and the guy nodded for them to follow her.

 

They got one of the best views for the mini stage in case someone performs and Ningning felt quite at ease in this setup.

 

“You haven’t brought anyone here before, yeah?” Ningning confirms although Yeji has mentioned it once already in passing.

 

“Yeah, but I’m actually a regular here, I tend to visit sometimes 4-5 times a month, depending on the need.” Yeji notes.

 

“The need for what?” Ningning asks but was distracted when someone turns on the mic in front of them, testing it.

 

“Thank you for staying with us tonight.” The guy starts, the mic slightly echoing. “Sorry about that.” He chuckles.

 

“By our regulars' popular demand, let me start this night with a set from our very own...... Yeji!”

 

Ningning’s eyes widened and hears everyone clap (some even hollered) and looks to see her date making her way towards the stage. 

 

She watched intently as the older grabs the acoustic guitar on the side and swings the strap over her head, before sitting on a stool behind her.

 

"Good evening, everyone." Yeji starts and people behind Ningning cheered loudly again. Ningning noticed they were the same ones who were yelling earlier when Yeji was still being introduced. 

 

"What song do you like for tonight?" Yeji asks, fingers plucking on the acoustic guitar effortlessly.

 

They hear different titles thrown from the back, Yeji even making an act of putting her hand on her ear to let the audience know she's listening like a performer she is.

 

Yeji smiles her megawatt smile that lights up the whole bar.

 

She started plucking the guitar again, a little louder this time, and Ningning hears the soft rhythm of Secret Garden.

 

 

Barameul tago naraoreuneun
Saedeureun geokjeong eopshi

 

Ningning felt her whole body shiver as soon as Yeji's voice filled the place. 

 

It was soft and calm, almost a lullaby, and she thinks she's ed.

 

Areumdaun taeyang sogeuro
Eumpyoga doeeo nane

 

Hyanggi naneun yeonpillo sseun ilgicheoreom
Sumgyeodueotteon maeum

 

At that moment, Ningning thinks this girl, singing her heart calmly with the audience as intimate as this, voice oozing with confidence yet certain serenity, is going to be the death of her.

 

Ningning recalls if there's anything in those blogs she read that points to this being a red flag. 

 

(She thinks there aren't.)

 

Gidael su inneun eokkaega isseo
Biga wado jeojji ana

 

Yeji looks in her direction and sends her a warm smile, and Ningning knows she fell in love a little more.

 

Eojeye ildeureun ijeo
Nuguna jogeumsshigeun teullyeo

 

Everyone in the bar is now singing with Yeji so she stands up, letting the guitar hang on its strap around her body, and urges everyone to sing along with her more.


Wanbyeokhan sarameun eopseo
Shilsutuseongigo oeroun nareul bwa

 

Yeji looks at Ningning again and urges her to sing with her too. Ningning shakes her head in disbelief, before singing along as well, which earned a triumphant smile from the performer.

 

They glanced at each other a few more times before the song ends and every single one in the bar is clapping

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter