Four - Silenced

let me hear your thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Few weeks into the second year and Giselle wonders how Karina is still alive.

 

If you ever had a Choi Lia seated just in front of you, throwing you daggers and axes and double-edged swords just by looking at you, you'd probably be bleeding to death by now. 
 

Except for Karina. She looks as unapologetic as ever, not even throwing a glance at the other girl. Giselle wonders if Karina is just too deep into her introverted crib that she never really notice other people, or maybe, she actually notices them all and just wouldn't give a flying .

 

Giselle watches as Winter shift uncomfortably in her seat, probably as bothered as she is by the current situation. She glanced at her seatmate and sees her doodling chickens in her notebook. 
 

This girl. Giselle smiled.

 

After the agonizing five minutes of waiting, Ms. Bae arrived with few stacks of book at hand. Giselle noticed all of it are Shakespeare's. 

 

Ms. Bae draws five different columns, and puts down five different markers on the table.


"Yu Karina, Na Jaemin, Lee Jeno, Jeon Heejin and Hwang Yeji."

 

She motioned for all five to write their names on each column and drop the markers back.

 

Ms. Bae instructs the rest of the class to grab the marker and write their names under the respective leaders they want. 

Giselle and Winter dashed across the room to get their names listed under Karina. They both realized afterward that no one else really wanted to join their team and some of their block mates are even fighting to get included in other columns that already got enough members. There was absolutely no reason for them to race like that.
 

Surely, it's because of Karina's cold attitude and snobby reputation that no one wanted to with her.

 

Giselle's jaw dropped animatedly when she sees the Choi Lia grab a marker and started writing her name under Karina's. The class went silent as well, a few ooh's here and there, apparently surprised at the girl's actions too.  
 

They're still missing one more member. Giselle looks back at the seat behind her. As she expected, the guy got his face in his arms, flopped down the table.

 

Giselle turns back and kicks his chair, the guy looking at her with eyes half-closed. Giselle then pointedly looked at the board, earning a groan from her sleepy block mate. He stood up and walked lazily to the front board, picking up a marker while yawning before writing his name under Karina's. 


"Thank you, Hwang Hyunjin-ssi." Ms. Bae said sarcastically. "Now everyone, this will be your team for the semester in this class. Any group projects or activities, you're required to work on with your members. Any issues—"

 

Giselle stopped listening from then on and went to browsing for new clothes from her iPad instead.

 

-

 


"Gi, can you please grab everyone's phone numbers and create a group chat for us? I'll send the instructions on when and where should we meet to discuss this literature project. I'll draft a concept and probably the script too and call the meeting afterwards." Karina said. "We got three weeks for this so we should have plenty of time."
 

Giselle nodded in agreement. Karina always had a sense of leadership in her, adding to it that the girl is really really smart too.

 

Giselle can never grasp the idea of Karina being able to answer any question thrown at her, even though she knows the girl is hardly listening. 

 

She would scoff loudly sometimes, mostly because people around her are just basically sleepy geniuses. Just behind her Hyunjin is always sleeping, and just on her left Karina would either be doodling or sleeping too. 
 

The teachers and professors never bothered the two of them anymore, mostly because they have never ever gotten a wrong answer to their questions, and backing them to a corner in an attempt to ridicule them would always backfire. 

 

They had tried all ways to teach them a lesson, like making them recite things from the book word by word, or giving them special exam sets different from others, only to end up the both of them almost always getting perfect scores.

 

I mean, if I'm that smart, I won't listen to anything at school too.

 

They got another free period after hearing that Ms. Kim, their Biology teacher, is unable to attend the class. Giselle decided to start asking numbers of her members, smiling in satisfaction because she never really have to move around the room. 
 

She called Lia just in front of Karina and hands the girl her phone, asking her to type in her number. The girl complies and doesn't look back again in their direction. She then leans a bit to call Winter's attention, doing the same thing. The younger girl hands her back the phone smiling at her.

 

She saves the numbers of both girls and creates a group chat, notifying everyone in their team. Karina looks at her, eyebrows raised in a silent query to ask how she's already got Hyunjin's number.

 

Giselle just rolls her eyes and shrugs.

 

Lit : Team Karina

Aeri added 4 members into chat

Aeri: Hello!

Julia changed the chat name to: Group 1 Literature

Aeri: 🙄

Julia: What?

Aeri: Nothing.

Winter: hello everyone ☺️☺️☺️

Karina: I'll send the details tonight.

Julia: K.

 

-


Karina arrives at the radio station ten minutes early for her club period. She waves at Yeri who returns the gesture, headset on, 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter