Thirty four - Minju

let me hear your thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Middle school meant puberty, breakouts, and mood swings.

 

Middle school meant Minju thought she'll be with her friends for life.

 

Middle school meant being with them the whole day, texting them the whole night, and seeing each other even on weekends. 

 

Middle school meant feeling something strange in her stomach whenever she sees Winter, and she knows she could spin up a whole- poetry book to express what she feels for her best friend.

 

(She will never tell Winter about the poetry book, ever.)

 

It also meant identity confusion because is she into girls or just Winter? 

 

Is she gay? 

 

Is she possibly ruining a perfect working friendship by admitting her feelings and verbalizing something as controversial as that?

 

-

 

It was always the four of them, really. 

 

Their teachers would always ask them when one of them is missing. Their classmates know they stick to each other like glue. Their parents know each one of them.

 

It was always Chaeryeong, Yi Zhuo, Winter, and Minju.

 

Most of the time, it's Winter and Minju.

 

Middle school meant Winter would write on those scented stationeries and give to Minju before they part ways at the end of each week, something to keep them going for the weekend.

 

Minju would keep those letters safely tucked inside plastic folders, making sure they don't gather dust, making sure the handwriting doesn't fade. 

 

Minju wonders if Winter can see her cheeks blushing whenever she thanks her.

 

Middle school meant pet names and that's why she calls Winter Gyeoulie, but if you ask Minju, she'd rather call her aegi because Winter is just a grown-up baby.

 

But Winter and Minju go way way back than that. 

 

-

 

Winter and Minju were childhood friends. 

 

Back then, Winter was not Winter. 

 

She was just Tiny Minjeong.

 

Primary school meant tiny backpacks, lunch boxes, playgrounds, and primary school meant Minjeong was Minju's puppy love.

 

Tiny Minjeong met tiny Minju in Busan on the first day of primary school.

 

They were seatmates.

 

But Tiny Minjeong preferred to be alone. She was the quiet kid of the class and doesn't really talk to anyone unless she was asked. Adults would tell you she was a snob.

 

Minjeong wears this name tag around her neck with neatly written Kim Minjeong—laminated in plastic so it doesn't get torn easily.

 

All of her things are printed with KMJ and Minju smiles because they have the same initials.

 

Break time meant snacks and Minjeong always loved snacks.

 

Minju, the ever so curious Minju, wonders why Minjeong prefers to eat alone.

 

Minju thought Minjeong was just really shy, but it turns out she just really doesn't want to be around people.

 

Minju learns this the hard way when she attempted to talk to the girl and got no response, even leaving her alone at the table.

 

Minju doesn't stop though. She'd sit silently beside Winter sipping on her milk and not saying anything and in a few weeks' time, Minjeong seems to tolerate her presence.

 

Minju still doesn't say anything, because the first time she said hi, Minjeong left without a word.

 

Tiny Minju doesn't want Minjeong to leave again.

 

(Fast forward a few years later and Minjeong did exactly the same thing.)

 

Minju, the ever so curious Minju, observes tiny Minjeong and learns that she prefers vanilla flavored cupcakes, oftentimes not finishing the snack if it's not that.

 

So she asked her mom to buy her vanilla cupcakes the next week and waits for Minjeong in their usual seat before placing the cupcake in front of her.

 

Minjeong stops and looks at her for the first time, with no emotion on her face, before taking the cupcake and eating it quietly.

 

Minju was the happiest that day. 

 

She finally made Minjeong her friend.

 

-

 

Few months into school and their teacher was discussing different seasons in English. 

 

Minju learns about Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter.

 

They were given an activity to color four pictures to the season they represent.

 

Minju was sad because earlier that week, she lost her white crayon and was on the verge of crying when she saw a neat, white crayon land on her desk softly.

 

Minju stares at the crayon, realizing it's unused and looks back at Minjeong busy coloring her first picture green.

 

(Minju found out years later that Minjeong's doesn't like people using her things.)

 

(Minju felt her heart flutter at that.)

 

Minju smiles and looks at the picture, before looking back at Minjeong.

 

"Winteo." Minju tries, her Korean accent thick when pronouncing the word. 

 

"Gyeoul. Winteo." Minju repeats and happily colors the picture white.

 

She finishes the task at hand, satisfied. 

 

She hands the crayon back to Minjeong, thanking her.

 

-

 

Minju calls Minjeong Winter since then, the other girl not even bothering to ask why Minju keeps on calling her Winter.

 

Minju thinks Winter is as white as the snow, as white as that unused crayon, and as cold as the season. 

 

Tiny Minju never knew she could be poetic at that age.

 

She grew up to be one though, always acing her literature subjects, always acing her English subjects and always acing at almost everything.

 

Minju grew up to be Minjeong's friend, and Minjeong had oddly accepted it, even liked being called Winter, even going as far as introducing herself as that whenever someone asks.

 

Whenever Minju asks her why she prefers it, Minjeong would say that she doesn't want people confused when they're together. Minju and Minjeong are just confusing for some. 

 

Minju and Winter were easier.

 

-

 

Busan seemed so big for primary school students, but Winter got Minju and Minju got Winter.

 

Minju finds out how fun Winter actually is, and still wonders how can someone look so abrasive yet total opposite of it.

 

Winter looks cold, but she radiates warmth. Winter looks so quiet but is actually loud. 


Winter looks like she doesn't give a , when Winter, Minju's Winter is completely opposite of that.

 

In the last year of primary school, Winter tells Minju she plans on going to Seoul to take the next three years of middle school there.

 

Minju cries herself to sleep that night because does this mean their friendship would end?

 

Minju, the ever so curious Minju, wonders what would it be like to study in Seoul and be with her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter