Ten - Ekin Girl

let me hear your thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter would like to believe she's smart for beating her sister in their ongoing debate. 

 

Taeyeon would always tell her there's absolutely no need for Winter to take part-time jobs, and if she does, she can do it from the shop instead. Winter begs to disagree, because working on the boutique meant working for free. Winter wants the overall experience of working and earning money for herself. 


"Plus, don't you want Minjeongie to learn how to be an adult?" Winter pouted, grabbing the bowl of cereal from her sister's hand.

 

"You can work from the shop while learning how to be an adult." Taeyeon rolls her eyes, grabs the milk from the fridge. She pours both their bowls, filling them halfway.

 

"But unnie, I've been asking you this for months now! I can even show you how many coffee shops I have seen looking for part-timers. Why not let me!?" the younger exclaims, sitting on the kitchen counter.

 

"Just because."

 

"No, I'm going to apply to this coffee shop near the campus. I only need to work half a day during the weekend. It's not like I'm barging in there asking to be a permanent employee." Winter decided. 

 

"I still don't hear myself agreeing to this, Minjeong."

 

"You moved out and did part-time too when you were my age. Why can't I do it?"

 

"I-, that's-, no Minjeong. That's different."

 

"That's not different. I've already moved out technically since I'm no longer living with mom and dad. So I'm doing it."

 

"I can't win this, can I?"

"Nope."

"Suit yourself then."

 

So Winter sat at the coffee shop counter six in the morning that Saturday, still sleepy and now regretting her decision of actually getting a part-time job. She would still be in the bed until 10:30 AM if it wasn't for her perseverance, as she'd like to call it. 

 

Winter looks at the corner to see Ten dozing off near the coffee maker and almost wants to laugh at the absurdity of it. 


We're working in a coffee shop yet all of us are half-asleep.

 

Winter sees the door open and stood up to greet the customer, a young girl with such refined features and dressed with flair. Winter thinks this girl is familiar, yet she can't pinpoint where she has seen her before. 

 

The girl looks at her straight in the eyes and Winter watched as curves into this beaming smile that seemed to have woken up Winter from her previous sleepy state. 


"Good morning. What can I get you?" Winter smiles, hands ready on the monitor to take the girl's order. 

 

"A large Americano, please." Winter punches the girl's order and grabs a large cup, sharpie in her hand. 

 

"What's your name?" Winter prompts.

 

"What's yours?" The girl asks back, catching Winter off guard. 

 

"I mean, um, for the cup, yeah—the coffee, not to uhm," Winter panics as she tries to avoid the girl's teasing smile, right eyebrow arched as if waiting for her to respond properly. "Uhm. Winter. I'm Winter." the girl resigns. 

 

"Somi. Nice to meet you, Winter." The girl, Somi, smiles more brightly as if that's even physically possible. 

 

"Do you, um, do you want a pastry on that or—" 

 

"What's your favorite?" Somi asks her again. 

 

"I would recommend this with Bungeoppang or with—" Winter says, pointing to their week's best sellers. 

 

"But which one is your personal favorite?" Somi cuts her off, asking her again.

 

"I–uhm, that one." Winter points to the slice of strawberry cake.

 

"I'll get that one then." Somi smirks, reaching for her wallet. 

 

"Is this for here or take away?" Winter asks, handing the cup to Ten and grabbing the slice of cake. She hears the coffee maker's noise indicating Ten is already starting on the coffee. 

 

"I'd love to eat here so I can stare at you, but unfortunately I have somewhere to go. So for takeaway please." 

 

Winter thinks she's going to faint any minute now. She's blushing so hard, she knows just by how hot she feels her cheeks are, moving upwards to the tip of her ears.

 

"I– uh umm, let me just uhm, get the–yeah." Winter says as she packs the slice of cake and ties the ribbon for it, placing it inside a paper bag. She hears Ten sliding the coffee to her so she grabs it and puts a coffee cup sleeve on it.

 

"Here you go." Winter says, trying her best not to look at the girl. 

 

"Thank you, Winter." Somi says as she grabs the paper bag in her left hand, grabbing the coffee cup on the right. She looks at the writing on the side and glanced back to Winter.


"Maybe next time I'll get something more than my name here?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"A number probably? Of a certain cute blonde?" Somi winks at her and Winter thinks she'll melt into a puddle in her place.
 

"See you around, Winter." Somi turns ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter