Five - You didn't connect

let me hear your thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Winter sits awkwardly between Karina and Lia.

 

She never really understood what's between the two, but like the rest of the block, they're all familiar with how Lia would look at Karina like she's ready to pounce on her at any given minute.

 

This is why I wanted to stay in bed during weekends. 

 

When they got Karina's message, she groaned internally but accepted that she really didn't have a choice. There's really no best day to do this except weekends, and if you ask her, she wanted to win this thing too for a final exam exemption.

 

She recalls how Ms. Bae explained that the winning group would automatically get a perfect score for their final exam, and Giselle telling Karina to win this thing because she's not as smart as her and Hyunjin. Winter looks back at the said guy, sleeping as always. Winter recalls if she ever saw him awake at any of the class, and wonders how can someone sleep all day like that.

 

Thoughts getting derailed like usual, Winter studies her current predicament.

 

They decided to meet at a coffee shop, Saturday, 1 PM. She arrived first, being the coffee shop is just a few blocks away from her, and honestly, she doesn't have anything to do anyway.

 

Karina arrives just a few minutes after her, and she didn't realize she's ogling until the girl mentions it.

 

How can she help it, she's never seen the girl in casual clothes before, always used to seeing her in her uniform. She already looks good in the uniform, imagine how star-struck Winter is now seeing Karina in casual clothing. 


Karina is wearing a white crop top and high-waisted black ripped jeans, white shoes, and a small bag. Her long hair is let down and she's holding a folder that looks like the draft she said she's going to make. 
 

Karina clears for the second time and Winter looks everywhere except Karina, ashamed of being caught again. 

 

Karina takes the seat next to her. It's a couch that could fit three people anyway. 
 

Lia arrives next and stood in front of them, wearing a turtle-neck fitted blouse and dark blue jeans hugging her figure well. She's got this cute little backpack that's too girly for Winter's taste. Winter thought Lia is going to take the other couch for two, so imagine her surprise when Lia smiled sweetly at her and sat beside her, asking her if she had waited for a while now. Winter answered with her usual awkward self and thanked the heavens when Giselle arrived. 
 

Giselle takes the two-seater couch in front of them, placing her bag on the table separating their seats. Seeing the girl in casual clothes made Winter think of probably asking her sister to redo her whole wardrobe right away. The girl is wearing a Givenchy V-neck fitted dress, and Winter looks at the Chanel bag on the table. Giselle calls for the menu, asking everyone else if they want to grab something too.

 

Fifteen minutes later, the drinks are half empty and they're out of things to talk about. She looks at her watch that says 1:22 PM and sees Giselle typing aggressively on her phone.

 

A couple of minutes passed and the door opens and Winter sees Hyunjin on his phone looking around the coffee shop, face lighting up in recognition when he saw his block mates. 
 

Winter notes that this would actually be the first time she's seeing Hyunjin fully awake and she didn't know she was staring until the guy is in front of them. Winter takes a minute to ogle at him. He's wearing a polo shirt with three buttons open and dark gray jeans. He's so attractive, tall, and lean. His slightly long hair falls down his face making him look like an anime character. 

 

"Sorry, I'm late." He greeted. She hears Giselle muttering something she can't understand and sees Hyunjin smiling a bit as he takes the seat next to her.

 

Winter scrambles her mind to why she thinks Hyunjin's face looks familiar. After few minutes of thinking, Winter chuckles silently in her seat, realizing the guy looked like the dragon called Toothless from that animated movie she watched with Ningning last time. She tried her best to keep herself from laughing when she remembered that the leader of the other group, Yeji, looks like Light Fury. Now that she thinks about it, Yeji and Hyunjin have an uncanny resemblance.

 

Are they like twins?
 

Winter sees Karina smile a bit before looking at her straight in the eyes. This startles Winter, effectively forgetting about the thought about the two dragons, and busied herself with the straw of her drink.

 

"Now that everyone's here. Take one copy each and we'll go through how we'll do this." Karina said, tossing the folder on the table. 

 

Winter takes two copies and hands Lia one, the girl smiling at her muttering a soft thank you. Winter notes that smiling Lia is a cute Lia. This Lia beside her is so different than what she usually sees. Her face is like of a baby, pretty lips, and eyes would turn to this pretty moon-shaped—

 

She hears Karina clearing again, scanning through her original copy, effectively stopping Winter's thoughts.

 

Hyunjin takes the other two copies and hands Giselle the other one. Both looking at Karina waiting for her next instructions.

 

Few coffee cups and frappes later, Karina asks the group.

 

"What days of the week are you free for script reading?"

 

"Not Tuesdays and Thursdays." Lia answered right away.

 

"Right, me too. Football practice." Karina said, eyes trained on the paper. 

 

"I didn't know you play football?" Lia smirks.

 

"I don't." Karina says, staring at Lia.

 

The awkward silence was broken by Hyunjin. "I can't do Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Basketball practice."

 

"I got DJ apprentice duties for those days anyway." Karina shrugs. 

 

"If your schedule is so full, why the hell did you even ask?" Lia said, rolling her eyes.

 

"Okaaay. Uhm, what about, well, after football practice then?" Winter offers. 

 

"Oh but don't you walk home with that freshie after football practice, Rina?" Giselle said, not realizing she's fuelling the next world war.

 

Lia grunts at this and excused herself for the bathroom, bumping Karina's knees on her way out. 

 

"Did I say something wrong?" Giselle asked.

 

"Ryujin." Hyunjin whispers beside her, smiling. Winter accidentally hears this but d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter