G is for Grade concerns that give her stress-induced heartburns (causing me to take leave from work)

Let Me Sing for You a Song that We Both Know
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            When Joohyun opens her phone at lunchtime to see that her girlfriend had sent a text two hours ago, she knows something is wrong, because Seulgi should have been in class at that time. She excuses herself from the table and rushes to the restroom, where she sees that the younger girl asked Joohyun to bring home some antacids. Knowing that Seulgi will probably be suffering alone at home, Joohyun calls her.

            The phone rings five times, during which Joohyun anxiously paces in the tiny stall, before Seulgi picks up. Joohyun freezes and presses the phone closer to her ear.

            “Hey, baby. Are you feeling okay?”

            Seulgi’s voice is lethargic. “Unnie, I feel like my insides are being shredded. Did you get my text?”

            Joohyun hums. “Have you eaten anything? There should be some microwaveable porridge in the cupboard.”

            “It’ll just come back up.” Shuffling sounds come from the other side, then Joohyun hears a groan. “Are you at lunch? You should finish your meal so you can get back to work.”

            Joohyun hears someone come into the restroom. It would be weird to keep talking, so she waits until the toilet flushes and the door creaks open to signal their departure before coming out of the stall. “Honey, you know there’s no way I’m going to be able to focus on work with you dying in our house. I’ll head back home soon, so get some rest. Is there anything else you need before I go?”

            “You really don’t have to take leave halfway through your day, babe. I just texted you because we don’t have a lot of medication left. I’ll be fine once I sleep it off or something.” There’s a pause as Joohyun leaves the restroom and the bustle of the restaurant reaches Seulgi. “I’ll see you after you finish work for the day then. Bye, unnie.”

            The call ends, which leaves Joohyun to stare incredulously at her phone just as Yongsun and Moonbyul spot her. Yongsun tilts her head at Joohyun’s sudden stop; she has to get up and pull her friend back to the table, out of the way of the busily moving servers. Moonbyul raises an eyebrow at Joohyun when she’s finally seated.

            “Is your child sick again?” Yongsun and Moonbyul, despite being friends that Joohyun made at work, know Seulgi pretty well because the younger girl often joins them for weekend b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter