7: Let Me Go

Milk Moustache 2: Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

7

Let me go

From your heart that binds me

Let pain, as always, only find me

Though it makes me choke up

I’ll say it for you

Let me go

Let Me Go – Crush, Taeyeon

 

 

Sakura and Eunbi were lying in their bed after a long day.

Sakura said she has no energy left to play games and left Hyewon online to join her lady on bed. It was the opening day of their café after all. They had great sales for the first day, but it’s taking a toll on them. It was only 9pm and they are already preparing to sleep.

The Japanese girl glanced at her girlfriend who was reading a book by her side. She reached for her hand, and that made Eunbi smile. And then the older girl laced their hands together, and gave her a squeeze.

“Eun.”

“Yes baby?”

“I’m still surprised that you and Irene know each other that well. Are you guys close?”

Eunbi paused for a while.

“Well, she’s like… an older cousin that I look up to. We’re not that close but I respect her.”

“So your grandpa and her grandpa are bestfriends? And they’re still close till today?”

Eunbi put down her book aside and looked at her girlfriend.

“What a curious cat,” she said with a chuckle.

Sakura huffed, “I just want to know more about you and your family!”

Eunbi sighed, “Okay, so our grandparents used to be business partners. Back in the late 70s, they both worked together and established a publishing house. Their company was one of the most successful publisher, they were actively publishing newspapers, magazines and bulletins across the region. They played important role throughout the history, spreading news all over the country.”

“But in the late 80s, the Baes have slightly different ideas on expanding their business. They were into music, and music distribution, and this caused the two best friends to part ways.”

Sakura’s eyes widen, “Oh, so they went their separate ways?”

Eunbi nodded, “Yeah but it wasn’t ugly or anything. They remain friends after that. The Baes pulled out their shares and started Velvet Group.”

“Velvet Group is a huge company, right?”

Eunbi nods, “Yeah, they have strong subsidiaries under them like music academy, Modelling and they’re recently opened a hotel. But since the pandemic is happening I’m not sure how that goes.”

“But overall, they’re really successful. Much more… successful than our company,” she added.

“Why you never mentioned to me about them before? Sounds like the two families are close…”

Eunbi snorted, “I wouldn’t call us close.”

Sakura looked at her, confused.

“We’re more like rivals, I would say. Apart from our grandparents, the second generation of the families, the children, has always been comparing our achievements. Like, they’re trying to prove one is better than the other,” Eunbi explained.

“I always get compared to Irene, from my studies to my looks,” Eunbi said, while rolling her eyes.

Sakura shook her head, “But you’re prettier than her!”

Eunbi shot her a look, “Didn’t you said that Irene was ‘not bad’ and has a ‘memorable face’? You agreed that she’s a beauty.”

Sakura gulped.

“Kkura, I haven’t forgotten that you even flirted with her.”

Sakura gasped, “We’ve passed that, didn’t we?! And we agreed that I was just being friendly, and I promised that I won’t do it again!”

“Yeah, you better,” Eunbi said, glaring at her.

The younger girl sulked. She lays down, and then scooted closer to Eunbi. She slowly wrapped her arms around her girlfriend’s waist, putting her head on her lap.

“You’re the most beautiful, the kindest, the smartest, the gentlest and romantic, basically the best human being there ever is,” Sakura said.

Eunbi chuckled, “That sounds forced!”

“And you know what I love the most about you?”

“What? Wait, is it my body, you sure love it-

Sakura laughed, “I love it but that’s not the answer!”

“Then what?”

“I love that you’re crazy about me,” Sakura replied with a smirk.

Eunbi chuckled, “Oh yeah?”

The older girl turned to her side and wrapped one leg across Sakura’s body.

“You’re right about that.”

Sakura giggled, “And I’m crazy about you too.”

The older girl pushed her down and kissed her lips, and the latter was waiting for it all along.

“Are you tired?” Sakura asked in between kisses.

“Not really but I have early meeting tomorrow-

“Great, let’s play!”

Eunbi chuckled, “Sure, come here baby.”

 

**

 

Eunbi just went out of the conference room after a 3 hours meeting with the other directors of Glitter Publishing. She walked out, dragging her feet with a blank look on her face until she reached the elevator. Yena stood beside her, and she kept glancing at her boss who had changed after the meeting. She was there with her earlier, and she knows why she’s acting that way.

They stood there, and Yena had to press the button to go up. Eunbi stood still, not uttering a word.

“We have to do this to survive, Eunbi. Don’t be a weakling,” said a voice behind her.

She turned around and saw her aunt, Kwon Eunjin, staring ahead with a serious face. Yena froze in her place, completely being swallowed by the tension between the aunt and the niece. They were in heated argument just minutes ago in the conference room.

Eunbi bit her lip.

“But this is like taking their life away. I can’t do this to the people who helped us build this company,” she said.

“We don’t have a choice!” said the older woman, sharp.

She continued, “You think I want to lay off my staff? You think I enjoy doing this? We can’t pay them!”

Eunbi gulped.

The older woman adds, “If you can find a way to turn this around to save their jobs and save this company, then be my guest.”

 

**

 

“Are we going to get fired?” asked Hyewon that evening.

Eunbi glared at her, “Keep your voice down please.”

“Sakura doesn’t know anything, so shhh,” Yena said, putting a finger on her lips.

The three of them were hanging out after work at the café, sitting at a table far from the counter.

Hyewon gasped, “Sakura doesn’t know about your company’s situation? Why didn’t you tell her?”

Eunbi looked at her, serious, “Because I will fix this and no one is going to get fired, and everything will go back to normal.”

She sighed, “I don’t want her to worry about me.”

The three of them kept silent after that. The only sound at their table was Yena slurping her drinks.

“I heard the rumors about our department being downsized, and I’m on the list. I really hope you can fix this, Kwon Director-nim,” Hyewon suddenly said.

“My dad lost his job recently and I’m currently the breadwinner of the family,” she added with a sad smile.

“My brother is in college, and I’m helping him with fees. He’s doing part-time jobs, but they’re not enough.”

She bit her lip for a while before continuing, “I can’t lose my job, Eunbi unnie.”

Eunbi reached for her hand, and she also held to Yena’s hand. She looked at them both.

“I won’t let anything happen to you guys. I promise.”

Her two friends looked at her, and for a moment everything feels like it will be okay, and there’s nothing they should be worrying about. They trust Eunbi for all these years, and they will trust her again.

Eunbi will protect them.

“Eunbi unnie, why are you holding hands with my Hyewon?!” asked a voice.

The three of them let go of each other’s hands as the familiar voice came clo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter