10: Linger

Milk Moustache 2: Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

10

And I'm in so deep,

You know I'm such a fool for you,

You've got me wrapped around your finger,

Do you have to let it linger?

Do you have to, do you have to, do have to let it linger?

Linger, The Cranberries

 

 

“Yujin, can you do the attack one more time?” asked the captain on the team.

Yujin nodded, “Bring it on.”

“Okay girls, let’s do that again,” said the captain, raising her finger in the air for que.

The captain begins serving, hitting the ball with her hand, resulting with a mildly powerful serve flying across the net. The college’s female volleyball team were having a practice that evening, preparing for the varsity’s championship in two months. The indoor court was filled with the squeaking sounds of the shoes against the wooden floor, along with cheers from the spectators.

Kwon Yujin was standing in her position, near the net, getting ready to attack.

Her stance was firm, and her eyes were fixed on the ball. The ball was flying in the air.

 

“I can’t.”

 

Suddenly a voice echoes.

 

“I can’t date you. Not now.”

 

Yujin gritted her teeth. Not then, not now, it’s never the right time…

The ball was heading towards her direction.

 

You were too young, and it’s too soon…

 

She focused the energy in her muscles and jumped up, floating in the air. Her eyes were fixed on the ball, like a predator stalking a prey.

 

it! Then, when is the right time?!

 

She slammed her hand on the ball with all her might, sending it straight into the other side of the court. It landed with a loud sound, and the ball bounced in the air a few times before it stopped.

The court roared with cheers.

“THAT WAS AMAZING, KWON!” said one of the seniors.

“THERE’S NO WAY ANYONE CAN ACCEPT THAT BALL!” said another.

They all patted Yujin’s back, but the freshman was indifferent.

“Can we play another round?” she asked, serious.

The captain laughed, “Yes, sure! I sure love your enthusiasm! Let’s go for another round, girls!”

Yujin went back to her position. She rolled up her t-shirt sleeve to her shoulder and get back into her stance.

Despite what her teammates think, she didn’t intend on joining the team. They offered her to join because they saw the way she stopped the ball when she was saving Minju the other day. Yujin thought sports would be a great distraction for her.

It’s better than moping in her room, crying over the girl who gave her false hopes and promises.

 

I am not anyone’s options…

 

A ball coming her way again, and she was ready. Within seconds, she was in the air, slamming the ball to the floor. The referee blew the whistle.

It was out of the court.

“It’s okay Kwon, just don’t lose your focus next time,” said the captain from the back.

Yujin nodded at her and looked at her hands. They’re red from slamming the balls too hard. It was supposed to hurt.

But she didn’t feel anything. There’s something more painful than that.

She looked down, trying to keep herself together. She wiped the sweat on her face with the back of her hand. But they’re warm. It’s not sweat, it’s tears.

She bit her lip.

 

“. I miss you.”

 

**

 

Someone was watching her from the farthest back of the hall.

The determined look on her face, the way she focused when she’s playing the game, the look of satisfaction when she managed to get a clean spike to the opponent’s side.

She looks good in sports attire, with shorts and white tee, with her sleeves rolled up to her shoulders. Sometimes her hair would stick to her face, because of the sweat and the rapid movements, and she will pull it back, tucking it behind her ears.

Suddenly there was a loud thump.

Another ball successfully spiked to the ground by her. The team won. Her teammates cheered on her, but her expression stayed the same, she didn’t smile, she didn’t seem happy. It’s like she’s just spiking the balls to let out her frustrations.

The practice game continues for another set.

This person has a class in 5 minutes, but she can’t seem to leave the court. She felt stupid for watching her from afar like this, but she misses her too much.

But she knows she don’t deserve to feel that way for her, not anymore.

Not after she broke her heart, again.

Tears begin to pool in her eyes, and she knows it’s her queue to leave. She slung her bag on her shoulder and turned around to leave in a hurry, before anyone notices she was there.

However, someone did.

 

“Isn’t that, Kim Minju?”

 

 

**

 

“Why the hell she’s not picking up my calls?” Eunbi grunted.

She put her phone down on the table, annoyed. She was at the café after work, where she promised to pick up Sakura to a nice dinner date that evening.

“Babe, are you okay? Don’t smash your phone on the table like that, you’re gonna crack the screen,” Sakura said.

She made her way to her girlfriend and sat down next to her.

Eunbi looked at her and sighed, “Yujin won’t pick up my calls, and I don’t know why. It’s not like I’m worried about her or anything since she’s a big kid, but our mom is. She sounds a bit off on the phone, according to my mom, and she wanted me to check on her.”

Minju can’t help but overheard them.

She was at the next table, wiping them with disinfectant after the previous customer left. She was coincidently there that evening to help cover Sakura’s shift.

“Minju-ah,” Eunbi suddenly called.

Minju stood straight and looked at the older woman, “Yes?”

“Have you met Yujin around campus? You guys probably bumped into each other, right? How is she?”

Minju tensed, “Uh… we don’t meet that often since I’m a senior, but… I know that she joined the college’s volleyball team recently.”

“Oh, she’s back into sports already?” asked Eunbi, surprised.

Minju nods, “I heard she’s considered one of the aces, even if she just joined them…”

Eunbi nodded, “Maybe she’s busy with practice. Thanks Minju.”

The younger girl shook her head, “There is no need to thank me for anything…”

She said before hurriedly leaves to the kitchen.

Sakura looked at her girlfriend, “Babe, maybe we should visit Yujin sometime. I kinda miss her.”

Eunbi chuckled, “But she teases you a lot.”

“That’s why I miss her!”

“Let’s go visit her this weekend.”

“Sounds great! I should pack her some umeboshi-

“No, baby, don’t.”

“But ume-

“Don’t.”

 

 

**

 

“Thank you for the lesson today!” Sakura said, bowing to her guitar instructor.

“I’m sorry I have to schedule our class on a weekend, it’s been quite busy this week. The company brought in new trainees,” said the teacher, Mr. Jung.

Sakura shook her head, “It’s okay Mr. Jung. I happen to be free this morning, that’s why I agreed to meet. Plus, you’re a great teacher! I can play a few songs now.”

“You’re a natural, Sakura. You got the looks too. Maybe Bae CEO-nim is trying to recruit you as one of our artists.”

Sakura’s face turned red, overwhelmed with the compliments.

“Ahhh, don’t say that. I’m just here to learn.”

Mr. Jung smiled, “I guess I see you next week, Tuesday?”

Sakura smiled and bowed, “Yes, see you next week!”

 

After parting ways with the guitar instructor, Sakura made her way to the elevator of the Velvet main building. Even though it’s a Saturday, there are people working in the offices and studios, as expected of an entertainment based business.

She pressed the button for the ground floor and waited. She glanced at her watch, checking the time. She made plans with Eunbi to visit Yujin at her campus later that evening. But it’s still early, so she’s thinking of going back to the café for a bit.

“Hello Sakura,” greeted a voice.

Sakura turned around immediately and saw a familiar face, smiling at her.

“Ah, Irene unnie! I mean Bae CEO-nim!”

Irene chuckled, “Are you here for a lesson?”

“Yes, I just finished the guitar lesson with Mr. Jung. Are you working on a weekend?”

“Yes, we’re pretty busy, especially with the hotel opening coming up, and I have to make sure everything is… perfect.”

“Oh yes, the hotel. Eun mentioned to me about the hotel too. Are you guys planning to open it this year?”

Irene nods, “The target would be around Christmas. As long as we’re adhering to the SOP, it shouldn’t be a problem to operate a hotel. Plus, it’s not just a hotel, we h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter