6: Sparkle

Milk Moustache 2: Only One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

6

 

Finally, the time has come

Everything up 'til yesterday was a prologue

Just skimming through the days of old

It's my turn to bear the load

With my experience and my skill

And all the courage I had let start to mildew

At an unprecedented speed, I will

Dive right into you

Sparkle, RADWIMPS

 

“Welcome to Milk Moustache Café!” said Minju and Chaewon in unison.

The two college students were hired as the baristas of the day, just for the opening day to attract customers. They are wearing light blue shirt with black pants, with matching dark denim aprons and caps. Probably the prettiest baristas you could find out there.

They helped greeting the customers and managing them, making sure they’re wearing masks and get their temperature checks at the entrance. Most customers were just excited seeing pretty girls greeting them.

Minju wiped the beads of sweats on her temple with the back of her hand.

“Are you okay?” asked Chaewon suddenly.

Minju looked at her friend and shook her head.

“I’m okay. Just a bit tired.”

Chaewon put a hand on her hips, “Go sit down somewhere and rest. Ask your cousin for something to drink. I’ll cover for you.”

Minju raised an eyebrow, “Are you sure? You look exhausted too, I can’t let you do this alone.”

But the short-haired girl pushed her back, towards an empty table.

“Just get some rest. We’ll take turns,” she said, firm.

Minju knew she can’t argue with Chaewon when she’s using that tone. Her extra protective tone.

“Okay Chaewon-ah,” she replied, smiling.

Her friend was a bit surprised to receive that beautiful smile, but soon she smiled back at her.

 

Not long after Minju sat there, Hyewon came and handed her a drink. Even though she didn’t order it. The older girl just dropped the cup there and leave without saying anything. It was a smoothie, and from the color it could be Oreo or maybe coffee.

“What is this, Hyewon unnie?” she asked as the girl was walking away.

“Just drink it and find out,” she replied with her sincere smile.

“Thank you!” Minju said, her eyes sparkles in gratitude.

Hyewon only replied to her with a wave before joining Yena at another table.

The college girl brought the cup to and sip it without suspicion. She was parched and she could really appreciate a smoothie.

But when she sipped the drink, she paused. The drink entered and reaches her tongue, igniting her taste buds, and she was instantly attacked with an exotic taste.

“W-What is this?!”

She rubbed her tongue inside , trying to get rid of the taste.

“Wait, is this… umeboshi smoothie??” she said, when she recognized the peculiar taste.

She saw Hyewon and Yena giggling from their table.

Minju sighed, “These unnies, really…”

“Minju sunbaenim!” suddenly a voice called.

Minju looked at the direction and saw a tall girl wearing a brown jacket with a white shirt underneath, with a pair of light denim pants, complimenting her figure. She was smiling from ear to ear, flashing her charming dimples.

She can’t deny that she got excited at the sight. Such a pretty sight.

“Yujin-ah!”

Yujin pulled the chair and sat in front of her without being asked.

“You came. Are you alone?” Minju asked.

“I was, but I’m not anymore. I have you,” she replied casually.

Minju smiled, “Still so smooth huh, Kwon Yujin.”

Yujin grinned, “Woah look at you unnie, you’re a barista!”

Minju sat up straight and showed her apron, while one hand holding her cap.

“How do I look?”

Yujin smiled, “You look like my first love.”

Minju’s face turned red, flustered. Suddenly it became a little awkward, but Yujin was quick to keep it light and fun. She grabbed the drink in front of Minju.

“Is this yours? Can I have some?”

“Uhh, sure you can have it.”

Minju watched as the younger girl sipped on the drink. And then her expression changed. She looked at the older girl, her eyes widen. Her lips pursed and she shook her head.

“A-Are you okay, Yujin?”

Yujin shook her head vigorously. She grabbed Minju’s arm, holding it like she’s holding on to dear life, while the other hand was on .

Minju panicked, “A-Are you going to throw up on me? No! Swallow it! Swallow it now!”

Yujin looked up, her face grimaced, and let the drink went down , like a little kid being forced to drink bitter medicines. Minju watched her nervously, until she had calmed down and looked back at her.

“W-Was that poison?” asked the younger girl.

Minju chuckled, “It’s umeboshi smoothie!”

“What?? Who on earth thinks umeboshi makes a good smoothie?! I thought I was going to die!”

“Ask your sister’s girlfriend. It’s her idea.”

Yujin laughed, “She’s also your cousin!”

“I don’t claim her,” Minju said jokingly.

They both grinned at each other and the mood was great, until Yujin realized that they were holding hands. She gulped. She had no idea when she held Minju’s hand. Maybe it was when she was trying to swallow the cursed smoothie. She always holds someone’s hand when she was forced to drink bitter medicines when she was little.

She probably did it unconsciously.

She glanced at their hands, and it seems like Minju didn’t mind it either. Or maybe she didn’t realize it too. Yujin suddenly became conscious. She felt like her palm was too sweaty, and Minju might hate it. She may look calm and casual on the outside, but she’s a nervous wreck on the inside. It took her two hours to pick the outfit to wear today. Part of the reason was also she can’t find her shirt since all her clothes are on the floor, but still.

Minju suddenly loosens up her grip on their hands and let it go.

“Sorry Yujin, but I still have some work to do. I have to go and greet the customers,” she said apologetically.

The older girl stood up and the latter followed suit.

“Aww so you’re going to leave me alone?”

“I still have an hour before I end this. I promised Kkura unnie to stay until 2pm.”

Yujin pouted, “Can I help too?”

Minju shook her head, “No. Go sit down and enjoy some real drinks that won’t kill you. Your sister is here too.”

Yujin sighed, “But I’m sick of Kwon Eunbi, I lived with her for 18 years…”

Her remark made Minju laugh. And Yujin smiled in satisfaction.

“Hey Kim Minju,” said a voice.

They both looked at the direction and saw Chaewon. The short haired girl looked at Yujin, checking her up and down with a judging face.

“You’re here, Kwon Yujin.”

“Hmm, hi,” Yujin replied half-heartedly.

“Oh, Chaewon-ah, I’m about to go to you. You can take a break now,” Minju said.

“Have you rested enough?”

Minju nodded, “I’m all good. I’ll go help Chaeyeon unnie at the counter. People are still lining up there.”

Minju was about to leave but Chaewon grabbed her arm, stopping her in her tracks.

“Wait Min.”

“What is it?” asked Minju, confused.

“Your apron’s tie, it’s getting loose.”

“Oh really-

Minju paused when suddenly Chaewon stood behind her and wrapped her arms around her waist. She froze when the latter reached for the apron’s tie. She was so close, and Minju could smell her scent, her perfume mixed with her sweat, it’s sweet.

Minju watches as Chaweon’s slender fingers undid the tie, and then slowly tying it again with a neater knot.

“There you go.”

She wasn’t sure if she was blushing but her cheeks felt hot. Minju turned around and smiled awkwardly.

“T-Thanks Chaewonnie…”

Yujin was watching them with an annoyed look on her face. Chaewon was giving her a side eye with a proud smirk on her face. The younger girl balled her fist. This is not going to end like this.

“Minju unnie,” she suddenly called.

Minju was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter