The Memory and The Miracle

All I Want for Christmas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
12 THE MEMORY AND THE MIRACLE    

Sooyoung woke up in a completely unfamiliar place, and the first thing she saw when she opened her eyes was a guy hugging her in his sleep. Fear broke through the girl's mind. She tried not to make any sudden movements, and slowly, trying not to wake the stranger, removed his hand from her.

 

She tried to make as little movement as possible, and carefully stood up, looking around. A beautiful white room bathed in morning light, a bed, a wardrobe. Spacious and comfortable. But there was a significant problem, which the girl realized with horror.

 

Sooyoung remembered absolutely nothing. She knew her name was Kim Sooyoung, that she was twenty-six years old, but then there was nothing. The girl could not remember who her parents were, where she grew up, why she ended up here. And the main question: who is this person that was lying next to her?

 

She left the room with trepidation and found herself in the same spacious corridor. Several white doors and stairs down. The girl first of all wanted to know what was happening, so she quietly opened the next door, and fortunately, it turned out to be a cabinet.

 

The inside smelled of delicious coffee, but she didn't care about that now. She began to open the drawers one by one, just to find at least something useful. Different pens and pencils, documents: the girl rummaged in each of them. And she found a passport in this drawer: in one photo there was a guy whom she saw in bed. And on the other was a vaguely familiar girl.

 

Sooyoung wondered for a second if it was her, because to her horror, she didn't even remember what she looked like. She walked fearfully to the small mirror on the wall and saw herself: she looked the same as in the passport photo. Sighing, she leafed through and noticed that she traveled a lot, there were many stamps in her passport, like in the guy’s.

 

“Sooyoung, are you awake?” the girl shuddered and turned sharply, dropping both passports on the ground. Before her stood a sleepy guy who looked at the girl softly. She was scared, panic grabbed her, because she could not remember anything, but the presence of this guy in a strange way calmed her. “I already understood from your look: you don’t remember anything?”

 

She was silent. For a while she looked at a guy in a stretched T-shirt and pajama pants, with disheveled hair, and a small scar just above his lip. Some vague memories were waking up in her head in small flashes, and the guy gave her time to think: he leaned on the doorframe, and looked at her with expectation.

 

“Xiaojun?” with a little doubt, the girl mumbled this name, which here and there flashed in her mind with greater frequency. The guy's eyes widened in shock, and he walked up to her in two wide strides and pulled her into a warm embrace.

 

Initially, the girl became scared, she wanted to push him away, but after that she felt how warmth spreads through her body, how her body wants to snuggle against the guy. And the girl, to her surprise, did not tear herself away from him, but pressed even closer. It felt like she ... loved him?

 

"Sooyoung, do you even remember what day it is?" the girl shuddered and looked up at him. The guy looked at her with such joyful eyes, and her heart began to beat faster, which surprised her. There was no doubt: most likely it was her boyfriend.

 

She shook her head uncertainly in response, and he only smiled softly.

 

“Christmas, Soo, your favorite holiday,” the girl blinked a couple of times, but couldn't remember anything else. Of course, she knew what Christmas was, but she could not remember exactly who she was, who this guy opposite her was, and what was happening. But her thoughts were interrupted by the loud rumbling of her belly. The guy laughed cheerfully. “First I have to feed you, right?”

 

She looked down awkwardly, and the guy pulled her along. In the kitchen, he put the girl on a chair, and he himself began to rattle pots, cut and fry something. The girl watched him with interest until he put the steaming plate in front of her.

 

“Try it,” the guy's voice was enigmatic, and she carefully picked up her fork and tried a dish that looked like an omelet. One piece and Sooyoung's eyes widened in surprise. It was very tasty.

 

The girl felt her heart ache unpleasantly, and a hot drop rolled down her cheek. She wiped it off with the back of her hand, and she was surprised by the emotions that appeared.

 

"Xiaojun, why ..." She couldn't find the right words, but the guy immediately understood everything. It was not the first time for him.

 

He went into another room with a heavy sigh, and the girl finished her breakfast, waiting for the guy. A minute later he was again in front of her, but now he removed the already empty plate and put in its place a battered old album.

 

“Soo, my name is Xiao Dejun, but when we first met at school, I asked to call me Xiaojun.” He gently touched her hand, and she could not take her eyes off him. “Your name is Kim Sooyoung, you used to work as a lawyer until …”

 

The guy fell silent, and the girl listened with gusto, trying to delve into every detail. But it was hard for the guy to say this part of the story over and over again, because after that day everything changed.

 

“Until you got into an accident,” he paused, and the girl saw an indescribable pain in his eyes. And she felt it herself, which amazed her. She listened to this short story about herself as if it was about another person, but her emotions still crept out. Xiaojun sighed, “I'm sorry if I hadn't been busy that day and picked you up from the airport, if you hadn't gotten into that taxi.”

 

The guy squeezed his eyes tightly, so that the treacherous tears would not roll down his cheeks again. He didn't want to upset her, especially on such a holiday. The guy pulled himself together and smiled apologetically at her.

 

“After that day, you were in a coma for exactly six months. Then you woke up,” he smiled happily, tightening his grip on the girl's palm. “The doctors said it was a miracle, and because of the severe brain damage, now you forget everything when you wake up the next day. Family, friends, work, me and yourself. You don't remember who I am, do you?”

 

And he looked into her eyes. She realized that he was showing her that everything was all right, but there was so much hope in his eyes. The girl wanted to somehow cheer him and herself up, so she began to think. Who is he?

 

Blurry images, strange phrases, different faces of people flew before my eyes. Her head was bursting with pain, but she wanted to remember. She should have. And then his face came up before her eyes. A soft smile, h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter