The Mister and Miss Perfect

All I Want for Christmas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
6 MR. AND MS. PERFECT    

The English lesson was incredibly boring today. Hyunjin never liked foreign languages and she wasn’t very strong in Korean either. She loved art, but couldn't convince her conservative parents who wanted their daughter to be a doctor. Additional mathematics, physics, English: she was so sick of all this.

 

“Kim Hyunjin.” The girl slowly lifted her lazy eyes to the strict English teacher. He smiled contentedly at her and the girl mentally rolled her eyes. The teacher always liked her, it seemed to him that she was striving for knowledge, but she only strove to ensure that her parents stopped nagging her. “Perfect job as always.”

 

The girl smiled and nodded slightly as her classmates threw her praise and envious exclamations. All the same, her hard work and constant cramming gave its results.

 

“Miss Kim, your result is impressive as always!” The teacher always liked to praise her, but she still couldn’t be completely satisfied with herself, because she knew what the next phrase would be. The teacher looked at someone else: “However, only one person received a hundred out of a hundred points.”

 

Hyunjin sighed in displeasure and closed her eyes. She hated it so much. Her gaze slowly moved to the faces of the disgruntled classmates and settled on the guy who was quietly writing something in his notebook. As if the attention of everyone around wasn’t riveted on him now.

 

Lee Taeyong. Hyunjin hated even his name. One hundred out of a hundred. This four-eyed guy became her headache from the very first day, as he crossed the threshold of this class. No matter how much the girl tried, no matter how many sleepless nights she spent cramming: it was all in vain. Taeyong has always surpassed her in everything.

 

She scoffed loudly for everyone in the class to hear her. She crossed her arms over her chest and lazily tilted her head to the side, not taking her eyes off the calm guy.

 

“Congratulations, Taeyong.” She chuckled as she uttered the phrase and half of the class was already chuckling, waiting for her words. She feigned a sigh, returning to her usual position. “Maybe I should be mute like you, to be on the same level as our Mr. Perfect.”

 

Her friends giggled and she felt better. She hated Taeyong, because after every second place in the rankings, her parents looked at her with indescribable disappointment. She heard what they said about her at night. Is she really our daughter?

 

She hated Taeyong because even though she drank a few cups of coffee to stay awake and crammed all night long, she still couldn't be first. Languages, sciences, even sports. How could he be so good at everything?

 

Hyunjin glared at the guy again as the teacher continued with the lesson. But why Hyunjin hated Taeyong the most is because this guy never reacted to anything.

 

When he first transferred to their class, Hyunjin even tried to make friends with him: she smiled, approached him, invited him to sit with the others in the cafeteria. But in response she received only an indifferent look and a clear no. She stopped trying, although she was humiliated.

 

However, the guy did this to everyone. He rejected everyone who would offer him to hang around. And after their very first test, Hyunjin realized for the first time how much she hated Lee Taeyong. No matter what she told him, no matter how teased, the guy didn't care.

 

And now he was sitting quietly and writing something down. The girl didn't know why, but it pissed her off. She always wanted to hurt him, say something, make him angry, so that he showed his emotions, so that he showed that he was not so perfect.

 

Lessons ended and Hyunjin teased Taeyong the whole time. Slowly but surely, all the students happily ran home, because their family and Christmas were waiting for them. But the girl stayed at school almost until evening: there was a wonderful library, where no one interrupted her. She started as usual with cramming English, which was quite hard for her and she finished with math.

 

A couple of hours passed and it was getting dark outside. The girl who was left alone in the library sighed heavily and looked out the window. She is so tired, but at home she will have to look at her mother's disappointed face again.

 

With one last effort, she stuffed her things into her backpack and stood up. Her head was a little dizzy and aching, but the girl got used to it, discontentedly heading for the exit from school.

 

As soon as she opened the door, she immediately noticed the snow falling in large flakes to the ground. The girl stopped under the overhang and looked at it spellbound. Her parents loved to spend Christmas together, but rather not out of a desire to get together, no. They just wanted to show everyone around what exemplary parents they are and how rich they are.

 

So Hyunjin never really thought about how wonderful Christmas is. But now she stood and caught one snowflake with her hands. Magical. And at that moment, someone also left the building, pulling her out of the moment of calmness.

 

The girl turned around but wasn't even surprised to meet Taeyong's eyes. She was already used to the fact that he ruins everything for her. The guy threw a short look at her and just walked by, leaving the school under the light snow.

 

“Hey Lee Taeyong!” It escaped her lips unconsciously and the girl didn't even know why she called him. The guy stopped and calmly turned to her, expecting her words. A smirk touched her lips and she ran to him and stood beside him, looking straight into his dark eyes through his glasses. He's taller than she expected. “I hope you’re at least talking to your family for Christmas.”

 

The girl expected to see anger in his eyes or at least some kind of emotion, but the guy was still silent, looking at her in response. Sometimes it really seemed to her that he was just a robot; that he couldn’t feel. She snorted and walked past, not forgetting to throw at last:

 

“Mister Perfect.” She always seemed to be charged with energy when humiliating the guy. Although, she probably expected his reaction more. He was strange and he was better than her in everything. And that was what Hyunjin hated about him.

 

The house as always was decorated in the best chic traditions: beautiful yellow lanterns, colorful garlands, artificial snowmen, Santa Claus and a team of reindeer. Parents have done their best this year. Do they have new neighbors to boast to?

 

Taking off her shoes, Hyunjin went straight to the kitchen. She needed to report on what happened today or she would get punished. Mom stood by the stove while their governess, Miss Su, cut vegetables. Hyunjin sat upright in the nearest chair.

 

“There were eight lessons at school today. I received special praise from Mr. Nam for the physics lab and Miss Han praised my history answers. Until six I studied additional material in the library.” After reporting on her full day, she stared with tension at her mother’s straight back.

 

She always wore perfectly ironed clothes that fit her perfectly. She had a beautiful hairstyle, without a single stray strand. Everything in her life was perfect. Except for the daughter.

 

“What about the English test?” Still not turning, the mother was stirring something in the pan. Her voice was calm, as if she already knew the answer.

 

“Mr. Kim said I had done a perfect job.” She hoped to avoid answering this question, but she knew it wouldn't work.

 

“You were the first in your class?” Hyunjin knew her mother would ask something like that. She sighed imperceptibly and put a smile on her face.

 

“No, the second one.” She tried to say it quietly, but there was no way to escape. Mother stopped and finally turned to Hyunjin. Disappointment. She certainly smiled and looked friendly, but her eyes showed her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter