The Guitar and The Way Home

All I Want for Christmas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
1 THE GUITAR AND THE WAY HOME    

The rhythmic ticking of the clock and muffled voices on the TV. The working tech always kept the house alive, especially when Yonji's husband was at work.

 

With a sigh, the girl put down the knife. In front of her lay a board with an eggplant freshly cut into neat pieces. Kyungsoo loved it when she added them to the salad. Although, he taught her this recipe himself.

 

She chuckled. Just to think about it, her husband cooks better than her. Sighing, the girl decided to take a break and went to the window. It was almost six in the evening and it was already getting dark.

 

Winter was the most pleasant and nostalgic time of the year for her, she grew up in the north and the snow, cold winds and kids playing snowballs always reminded her of home.

 

Outside the window, a light layer of snow barely covered the surface of their yard, but judging by the clouds, it might snow again, which Yonji had hoped for. Nothing could be better than a snowy Christmas.

 

A smile touched her lips, and the girl walked into the guest room, where the TV was working. But she heard a suspicious rumble from the bedroom. Startled, the girl ran there and flung open the door.

 

As she expected, Coco, the cat, which her husband, incidentally, didn't want to have, once again threw her favorite photo from the dresser.

 

“Coco, are you kidding me?” The girl was dissatisfied and the cat already felt that the owner was angry and ran away, quickly disappearing through the open door.

 

The girl laughed, not finding the strength to be angry on such a day. She walked over to the overturned frame and picked it up.

 

A happy couple was looking at her: the young man hugged the girl by the waist, smiling restrainedly and the girl was holding a kitten struggling in her arms and she was laughing happily. The day Kyungsoo gave her Coco for her birthday.

 

"Ginger one, you wanted it, didn't you?"

 

He was always attentive to details, always listened to her carefully, although he was laconic. She smiled at the thought and put the photograph back on the dresser.

 

The glance moved to the clock: half past five. She sighed, looking forward to the clock finally showing six. Kyungsoo was detained at work, but he promised to return at six and help to cook the turkey. He was the master of cooking after all.

 

The girl with an effort forced herself not to bother the guy with calls, since lately he had an overload at work. She left the bedroom, heading to the kitchen, because she wanted to surprise her husband and prove that she could cook a damn turkey without him. He would be surprised.

 

At that moment, something else caught her attention. She noticed that the congratulatory letters they had read this morning had not yet been put in order, which she decided to do. Order has always been important to her and in this she and Kyungsoo were absolutely similar. Once he even admitted that this eagerness for order was one of the features that he liked so much about her.

 

Sorting letters from family and friends, she smiled at every photo that came from other cities, even countries. How she loved those Christmas cards with cozy reindeer, Santas and red and green decorations on envelopes. It had its own separate magic.

 

The last envelope was put on the shelf and Yonji was about to get up, but she noticed the album. He and Kyungsoo had a photo album. She called it the album of their love, which he always scoffed at. The guy wasn’t fond of romance and any tenderness, and this was their biggest difference.

 

With a gentle smile, she the cover of the album in a pleasant-looking pink and peach color. She chose it herself and made Kyungsoo choose it as well.

 

She opened the first page, on which there was a large photo of their friends. In this picture, they were so young, free, it seemed that about a few dozen years had passed, and not just five.

 

Here, the funniest guy ever and the eternal leader of their company - Park Chanyeol. In the photo, he was sitting in the middle of the table, as always. He was popular with girls: tall, handsome, funny. Jinah was sitting next to him, who always wanted to date him. She was always tailing him, getting jealous of everyone around him and Park didn't even seem to notice. After all, she achieved her goal, the guy eventually began to chase after her and now he doesn't take his eyes off her.

 

On the left side sat her husband's best friend, Kim Jongin. Well, or Kim Kai, as he preferred to be called. This guy had a charming smile, and knew how to charm anyone. Sometimes he liked to show off too much about his wealth, but Yonji always found it kind of funny. At that moment, a girl whose name Yonji didn't remember was sitting next to him, hugging him. Kai changed girls too often, and still does.

 

And so, on the right side of the table was he - Do Kyungsoo. Now her husband and back then - an unfamiliar and quiet guy. At that time, all of his friends were dating girls and only Kyungsoo was a loner. He didn't need a girl, he tried to achieve career heights. However, his friends disagreed with his decision.

 

For this reason, she was also present in this photo. Yonji had been a friend of Jinah's since university and she thought Yonji would be perfect for Kyungsoo.

 

"You are crazy for work and he is too, also he is cute, just your type."

 

She didn't want to go to this meeting of friends, which was an undercover date. In the end it turned out that Jinah was right.

 

As soon as she entered this cafe, her attention was attracted not by a perfectly dressed Kai, not by a tall and handsome Chanyeol, but by a guy who didn’t even say a word to her, just bowed in greeting.

 

All evening she looked at him, tried to start a conversation, but he was rather quiet. As she later found out, on the contrary, he was very talkative with her compared to his usual self and even agreed to walk her home.

 

And the next picture is already their first date. She took it with her phone: in the picture, she and Kyungsoo were smiling, there was a slightly melted ice cream in their hands. Only after the wedding, her husband confessed to her that he doesn’t like ice cream at all, he bought it just for her.

 

Then there were countless dates: cinema, hiking in the mountains, an amusement park, their friends' house, festivals in their small town. Yonji missed those festivals, the kind neighbors and friends around: Seoul didn't have that.

 

And here is the photo when they first moved into this apartment. The picture shows only Kyungsoo, who is looking at the table assembling instructions with a serious and frowning expression on his face. Ordering a disassembled table seemed like a great idea at the time, until they received instructions in German.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter