Chapter Twenty

Hey, kiddo!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi excused herself after seeing Seolhyun set up with the transfusion. Seeing her child like that just didn’t seem right to her. A five-year-old shouldn’t be stuck in the hospital. She tried to remember how active she was when she was the same age as her daughter. She remembers how she and Sooyoung would often play tag. It’s just a bummer that Seolhyun is missing a lot of things in her childhood.

She splashed more water onto her face trying to cool off the feeling of shame and regret. She feels bad that Joohyun had to go through this alone for years. In the span of time of her absence, she could’ve done more as a parent.

“You’re not trying to run away again, are you?” Joohyun asked as she went inside the loo to find Seulgi.

“I’m not.” Seulgi looked at her reflection in the mirror. She hates it when she cannot hide her feelings. She saw Joohyun offering her a handkerchief.

“I’ve already talked with Junmyeon. He said since you’re here for good, hopefully, you can donate Seolhyun your blood. This one’s his last one.” Joohyun touched her elbow, not sure if telling Seulgi this would make a difference at all. In the back of her head, she just wants Seulgi to know that now they are trying to fix things up, she just wants Seulgi to be more present, more hands-on.

“I was wrong about him. He’s better than I am in so many ways.” Seulgi returned the handkerchief to Joohyun. “I should thank him personally for all the help he’s done for Seolhyun.” She cannot bring herself to hate the man. She’s a jerk, she’d take that willingly. If she could go back in time, she would, because it’s a regret someone else did those things for her family while she was out there choosing her dream.

Proud of her ex-wife’s maturity, Joohyun kissed Seulgi’s cheek. “With that, I can see you’ll try much harder to be Seolhyun’s parent.” She then left because she did it all of a sudden. She got her emotions lead her to do something like that. It’s not that she regrets it. She just thinks it might be a little too hasty on her part.

WHAT. THE. . WAS. THAT. That was all Seulgi could think of. She isn’t complaining though. She ran outside and tried to find Joohyun. But alas, she couldn’t see the person she was trying to look for. Instead, she saw Sooyoung entering the hospital lobby looking elegant as ever. The set designer really has a thing for fashion, she resolves. Some things just stay the way there are before, much more like Sooyoung being Sooyoung.

“There you are! I’ve been trying to call you for the last thirty minutes.” Sooyoung greeted her best friend. She knew that today was Seolhyun’s monthly check-up. She admires the youngster’s resilience. “Why is your face red?”

“It’s nothing.” Seulgi quickly deflected and went on her way.

“Even Joohyun-unnie isn’t answering. I can’t believe you guys!” Sooyoung followed Seulgi’s direction.

When they arrived at Seolhyun’s room, Sooyoung noticed how her Joohyun-unnie looked away flushed-red upon seeing Seulgi.

“Aunt Sooyoung!” Seolhyun loudly and cheerfully greeted.

“What a brave girl you are!” Sooyoung went to hug her best friend’s daughter.

The door suddenly burst open.

“You have lots of visitors this time, Seolhyun!” Doctor Son entered the room, surprised to see Seulgi there as well. “Did your foot heal nicely?” She asked as she remembered how careless she was driving months ago.

“It did.” Seulgi gave the doctor a thumbs up. Thankfully, the excessive bandages were effective in her foot’s recovery.

“Good to know!” Doctor Son went to sit beside the kid and checked her chest with her stethoscope. “Breathe deep for me, kiddo!”

Seulgi watched at how her daughter could still smile at this moment. That innocence is just so precious. She wished she could have seen that sooner.

“Everything’s good.” Doctor Son directed to Joohyun. “If I could request the parents to go with me to the office to discuss, that would be great.”

“I’d stay with Seolhyun! Go ahead.” Sooyoung gladly volunteered. She quickly rushed to the kid’s bedside. She can see her best friend’s poker face look. It’s a sign that Seulgi is dead nervous inside.

Seungwan was quite surprised that things turned out to be like this, that it was from Seulgi’s egg cells that were used for Seolhyun’s IVF process. Last time, Joohyun had explained why things came to be. In the years of treating the kid, she’d like to think that she’s friends with Joohyun even knowing the latter was her brother’s ex.

“I’d hate to be the one to bring the bad news to you but we’ll need to adjust Seolhyun’s transfusions. We need to do it twice a month now bec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter