Chapter Fourteen

Hey, kiddo!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride home is really noisy. Everybody knows that Seolhyun is too excited. She talks nonstop about the things she wants her Aunt Seulgi to know. Now that her favorite aunt is here, she feels much better. “You know Aunt Seulgi! I now know how to draw elephants. And lions. And cats. And ants.” She continues to count with her hands.

“Then there’s nothing left for me to teach you!” Seulgi retorts. This feels surreal. Holding her child like this, talking about mundane things, and Joohyun looking satisfied from the shotgun seat. This feels home to her.

“Seolhyun, tell Aunt Seulgi about the time we played hide and seek.” Sooyoung chimes in. With three months of hanging out with the kid, they’ve developed a pretty strong bond. She completely spoiled Seolhyun with every visit she did.

“Oh, right! We were playing hide and seek and Aunt Sooyoung and me hid inside the broom closet. When eomma couldn’t find us, she called Aunt Sooyoung and her phone rang. We got caught because eomma is too smart.” Seolhyun finishes her story.

“That’s a trick only the master knows.” Joohyun chuckles at the memory.

“What the heck unnie! How can you be proud that you cheated?” Sooyoung exclaims in frustration. That round was clearly no fun because Joohyun’s such a trickster.

Seeing this, Seulgi asks herself, what would it be like if she didn't go five years ago. Would it be like this? She hugs her daughter and kisses her head too. She wouldn't get tired of doing this.

"Seolhyun, I have to tell you something. But would you promise me, you won't get mad at me?" Seulgi felt nervous. She's been trying to find the right timing to say this. Ever since she saw Seolhyun today, she wanted to say it. The other adults in the car fell silent. She looked at Joohyun, asking if this is the time to finally say it. She gets a soft nod from her ex-wife.

"Of course, Aunt Seulgi. I will never get mad at you. You're my most favorite aunt I have!"

"That's what you told me the other day!" Sooyoung grumbles.

"Aunt Soo, you're my second favorite aunt!" Seolhyun corrected.

"No, Seolhyun. Aunt Soo is your most favorite aunt because I'm your other mom."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter