Chapter One

Hey, kiddo!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been too long since Kang Seulgi had been to an airport and she can’t say if she misses it at all. There’s a sea of people passing to and fro the entrance and exit doors, almost fighting their way in and out.

After waiting in line to get her boarding pass, she went on her way to the boarding lounge. She fiddled the edge of her boarding pass tucked in the middle page of her passport. She never thought that something this little can make her feel heavy. She’ll miss this place.

The thought of her home land made her agitated. It has been a little more than five years now since she moved to Berlin to study arts and pursue it. She thinks a lot must have changed.

Her flight is called through the microphone the flight attendant uses. She almost didn’t understand it because it sounded cloudy and muted. On the second repetition of it, she finally made up the flight number and confirmed it was the one she has.

She stood up and walked where the line was supposed to be, handed her pass, and into the abyss she went.

She always liked seated beside the window. She is fond of seeing the clouds and how islands are from tens of thousands of feet above. It never bores her. She tried stretching her legs, because they’re feeling a bit cramped. This isn’t exactly first class like she is used to.

Though she can book a nicer flight than this, she opted not to. She just took the earliest flight as possible to Incheon. She doesn’t really need to be there right this instant but her mother asked her if she can come home and see her dying father. Though she knew her mother was faking it, she obliged. Five years had really been long and seeing her parents wouldn’t hurt. There’s no better time than this to come home, maybe for a few days. If it weren’t for this reason, she would have never gone for Korea again.

It’s going to be a long flight.

Seulgi arrived at the airport. Her phone’s battery didn’t actually make it like she anticipated. All the hours she spent on listening to music drained her battery to the core and she doesn’t know how she’d get home.

She then hails a cab, saying to the driver, “Can you get me to Seongbuk-dong?”

The driver just looked at her.

After realizing her mistake, she asked again in Korean. With only just her backpack, she rode the cab’s passenger seat. The last five years made everything look different. From the buildings and how people look, she feels like she’s not familiar with it anymore.

The radio is filled with bass-punchy music, she hasn’t heard in a while. She reckons that not everything she left

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter