Chapter Eighteen

Hey, kiddo!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi likes to think that she’s more of her father than her mother. Her father is an epitome of coolness, which she tries hard to mimic. In a simple nutshell, her mother is quite the opposite. That’s why she’s trying to figure out why the only Seo Hyunjin, who has no cool at all, is acting too nonchalant.

“Appa, where are we going?” Seolhyun whispered to ask.

“We’re visiting halmeoni and halabeoji.” Seulgi struggles to answer it coolly. The three of them scrunched up at the backseat of a cab and her mother is on the shotgun seat. She can feel that Joohyun is panicking too. The mother of her daughter wouldn’t have been obvious if their hands aren’t clasped together. Somehow, she thinks facing her mother’s wrath isn’t that bad at all. Not when she’s got Joohyun by her side.

After a good twenty-minute ride, they arrive at the Kang residence. Passing through the gate, Seulgi sees her father seated on the porch, clearly waiting for them.

“Is this little Seolhyun you were talking about?” Seulgi’s father, Kang Minhyuk, asked his wife.

“Yes.” Hyunjin casually replied and went inside the house.

“You look exactly like Seulgi when she was a toddler.” Minhyuk smiled at the kid. “You should go inside and help halmeoni cook dinner.” He said to Seolhyun.

“Yes, halabeoji.” Seolhyun quickly went inside, following her grandma.

Seulgi’s dad looked at her intently. “Tell me everything. Then we can figure out how we’ll tell your mother.”

And the couple told him everything, including how it was mostly Seulgi’s fault and how bad their child’s illness is.

“I see.” Minhyuk crossed his arms as if trying to place himself on which side to side. “Joohyun, may I ask you something?”

“Sure, abeoji.” Joohyun knew both she and Seulgi share the blame, and now, their child is reaping their actions.

“Who was that man with you two years ago when we saw you?” Minhyuk asked. He’s sincerely trying to make things lighter. And finding loopholes is his responsibility.

“He was my ex. He was the one I could ask for help when Seulgi and I divorced.” Joohyun was hesitating when she said it. Instead of lying, she went for the truth. She knows what her father-in-law is doing.

“I won’t blame you, Joohyun. It’s not your fault. Hyunjin basically hated you when you didn’t hold Seulgi back from pursuing Berlin.” Minhyuk patted her ex-daughter-in-law’s shoulder and smiled sadly. “I just wished you went to us instead of him.”

“I’m sorry, abeoji.” Joohyun looked on the ground as she cannot face how kind Seulgi’s father is to her. When they were married, both of the Kang parents treated her like their own. And for someone who lost her family completely in an accident, this was something she longed for long. Leaving them when she and Seulgi broke up was something that she regrets too.

“Let’s go inside.” Seulgi’s father initiated. It has been thirty minutes since they were talking on the porch.

Seulgi doesn’t know how this will go. When they went inside, the first thing she did

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter