Chapter Sixteen

Hey, kiddo!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you remember what I promised you last time?” Seulgi asks her daughter as she sat on the bedside straightening out the creases on the blanket.

“That we will ride a plane?” Seolhyun enthusiastically answers. Her mom, Seulgi, just pats her shoulder lightly. To her, it is kind of endearing. She missed her other mom badly even if she didn’t have the chance to meet her before.

“We will do that once Joohyun gives me the go signal. But for now, you’ll have to sleep so that you will become tall.” Seulgi continues to pat her child’s shoulder.

Now that she’s seeing and holding her daughter in flesh, her heart is about to burst. This kind of feeling is triggering her instinctive parent vibes.

“Thank you for trying to keep your promises.” Seolhyun is really sleepy. She spent the whole day with both of her parents as they play a lot of board games. Now that it isn’t just her and her eomma, it is more fun because it’s the three of them now.

Seulgi sings to her daughter the same lullaby she sang when they were video-calling when she was in Berlin. It warms her heart that she can do this to her only child.

When Seolhyun’s breathing is steady and low, she kisses her on the cheek. A gesture she always did with Joohyun before they went to sleep before. Somehow, doing it to their daughter seems fitting.

Joohyun finds Seulgi walking down the stairs as she finishes proof reading what her junior writers sent her. Seeing her child bond with Seulgi was surreal to her. She thought this wouldn’t happen in this lifetime but then Seulgi continues to prove her wrong.

“I’ll go home now.” Seulgi announces as she picks up the backpack she brought this morning. Most of the sketchpads and the coloring materials that she imported from Berlin are really meant for Seolhyun. She smiles at the thought of her child thanking her earlier.

“Oh, okay.” Joohyun can only muster. She really wants Seulgi to stay some more.

“Yah! You’re drinking wine without me?” Seulgi noticed the glass beside the laptop. Her ex-wife’s got a habit of working at the kitchen, she takes note.

“Only drinking a little.” Joohyun lifts up her glass and sips the rest of fill.

“No way, you’re a cheat.” Seulgi automatically gets a glass and fills until a third of it. She sits opposite her ex-wife and watches as Joohyun refills herself some of the wine.

“Why did you accept so easily?” Seulgi asks. She already drank all of her glass and refills it again. If she takes on to this, she could just take a taxi home instead of her usual commute by bus.

“What?” Joohyun answers back with a question as she looks into those monolid eyes in front of her. “Starting over again?” To be honest, she’s had two glasses before Seulgi went down and she could feel a bit dizzy.

“Yes.” Seulgi quickly exclaimed.

“Why should I make things harder? Why should I endure shooing you away when all I wanted was you? I’m done regretting stuff too. You’re not the only one with regrets. I regret not telling you to choose me over your dream. I regret not telling you my surprise IVF procedure worked. I regret not telling you our child was born. I regret not telling you sooner.” The wine starts to kick in, Joohyun thought.

---

Seulgi wakes up feeling her arm limping. She can feel the weight on it as she tries to free it. She cannot seem to sleep when the light is blinding. Last time she checked her room is heavily curtained.

She opens her eyes only to see Joohyun’s head sleeping soundly on her arm. How could this be? And everything seems to come back to her head.

Wine. Talks. Sleep. Yes, she remembers Joohyun was too worried for her to commute or to go home alone because it was late when she said she would go home.

She very carefully tries to take away her arm because she feels like a thousand dots are puncturing her. It is quite an excessive feeling for her. When she’s almost suc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter