Chapter Ten

Hey, kiddo!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The almost fifteen-hour-flight from South Korea to Berlin felt like more than that when Seulgi arrived dead-tired in the middle of the night. It seems like Kim Yerim, who happens to be the only other Korean that got into the prestigious art school and her flat mate, is not at home. Or so she thought.

Seulgi’s been gone for just five days and this is what she goes home to. Red paint and canvasses are scattered on the floor. She even thought for a second that Yerim has been murdered, if she hasn’t seen her roommate coming out of the kitchen with a mug in her hand.

“Holy !” Yerim almost spilled her matcha latte. She forgot that Seulgi is coming back from South Korea tonight.

“That one’s looking nice.” Seulgi dropped her backpack somewhere on the floor where there wasn’t wet paint and started to go to the kitchen as well. “How long since you’ve started it?” She took a mug from the cupboard and poured hot water in it. She opened one of the cabinets and got a chamomile teabag. She unmindfully tossed it in her mug that caused the hot water to splash a bit.

“Got bored after I drove you to the airport.” Yerim sat on the stool, looking at the work she has done. To be honest, she isn’t happy with it yet. “How was South Korea?”

“It was great.” Seulgi started to feel the jet lag kicking in. She was indeed tired.

“I thought you weren’t so enthused when you went there?” Yerim’s brows were scrunched together. Her sunbae didn’t even want to go there at all. She’s weighing if the answer was sarcastic.

“My ex-wife apparently had my child before we divorced.” Seulgi blurted out.

“Wha-at?!” Was all Yerim could muster after she spit the matcha latte in onto the canvas.

Seulgi was clapping. The painting looked like it was finished with the green froths that perfectly complemented the red of the paint. It looked magnificent. “That’s what you call real art, Yerim!” She praised her roommate.

“You have a child?” Yerim’s eyes almost popped in surprise. Clearly, this isn’t the tea she wanted Seulgi to spill.

Seulgi walked towards Yerim and pulled out her phone from her pocket. She showed Seolhyun’s photo with her. And they definitely look like two sides of an apple cut in half.

Silence enveloped both of them. Yerim might be younger than Seulgi for three years, but it’s definitely evident that Yerim is much more serious and mature than the older one.

“I’m having my last exhibit and I will return to South Korea for good.” Seulgi smiled bitterly. Leaving Joohyun again with Seolhyun made her heart ache even harder. In the airplane, she only looked at Seolhyun’s pictures. She missed the little kiddo more even if not a day had passed yet.

“Unnie, all that you worked for, that’s going to be down the drain.” Yerim reminded Seulgi. She witnessed how passionate and hardworking her sunbae was. In an artist’s life, Seulgi is at her peak. And Yerim is worried, something about Seulgi is not the same. South Korea is not particularly appreciative of painting. She is bothered because her sunbae seems really decided on it.

“It doesn’t matter, Ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter