Chapter 16

A Little More Complicated

 

Changmin observes the beautiful view of the whole university from the penthouse on the rooftop. The sun shines brightly as the wind brushes through his amazingly styled hair. He breathes in the air of fresh start and a new competition.

“There is no way I’ll lose to him.”  He mutters under his breath.

He got his vibrating phone from the pockets of his jeans and answered the call. “Hello?”

“Changminie~” a cute voice called from the other line. “Let’s hang out today! Where are you?”

“Victoria?”

“Yes. This is Victoria. Where are you? Let’s go out today! I just came back from Milan and I just want to unwind a little bit. You know.”

Changmin didn’t answer directly. In fact, he hesitated before he responded. “Uhm, Vic?”

“Yes? Yes?”

“I’m a little occupied right now so I guess I’ll pass. I’m sorry.”

“Okay then. But at least tell me where you are.” Victoria insists.

“I’m somewhere boring so don’t come okay?” Changmin demands and ends the call immediately. 

He picks up his bag and proceeds down stairs. He first checks his schedule before looking at his watch. “Mmmh… So my first class is History. And it’s” he glances at his wrist watch. “…Five minutes ago! Oh shoot!” he then runs to the next building where his class will be.

***

Changmin arrives just in time after the professor gave a surprise quiz.

“Looky here. Who do we have? If it isn’t my favorite new student.” the tall professor greets Changmin sarcastically. “Please be earlier next time Mr. Shim.” He looks around trying to find a vacant seat. “Ah, yes, you may sit there next to Ms. Choi.”

“Uhm! Park Jun Su-seonseongnim! This seat is taken is kind of taken.”

“By whom Choi Sooyoung-sshi?” the tired Prof Park ends the game and gives Sooyoung a cold look.

“Ah… Jessica is in Japan, so I guess the seat is free.” Sooyoung covers up an  excuse immediately.

“Mr. Shim Changmin if you may? So that we could continue on…”

***

A little piece of paper slides itself to Changmin’s side of the desk.

No mobile phones allowed during sessions! >:(

Changmin stares at Sooyoung who’s carefully writing notes on her notebook. While enjoying his view of Sooyoung’s cute profile, Changmin’s phone rings again for the 15th time during the whole class. Before he could open his phone he feels a strong force upon his right foot.

Sooyoung rips another page from her notebook and writes on it impatiently.

Shut the freakin phone! Others are trying to listen to class!

Changmin blows his bangs away before finally deciding to turn his phone off. Although he feels uneasy about turning his most important daily possession, he doesn’t care as long as its Sooyoung’s order.

Man is he glad that she’s his classmate. He couldn’t even lay an eye on the board and the professor because of such distraction. Gosh. She’s so pretty. Changmin totally agrees with the rumors of the campus goddesses. Gosh. She’s the prettiest and cutest goddess for him.

“Mr. Shim Changmin. Will you please tell me what the last dynasty of Korea is?

“Uhm… Yeah… That… Uhm” Changmin stutters and tries himself to look for the answer on the blackboard.

“Yes? We don’t have all day Mr. Shim…”

Another piece of paper slides itself from his right.

Joseon Dynasty

“That is,” Changmin glances to Sooyoung and sees her staring at him pointing at the paper. “It’s Joseon Dynasty Park-seonseongnim. Sorry for the wait.” He bows to him.

“Please sit down. And may I remind you that the blackboard is in front and not anywhere else.”

Changmin sits uncomfortably and writes on the piece of paper from Sooyoung.

Thanks.

Sooyoung just smiles.

***

After morning classes.

“Appa, yes, uhm I still have things to do in the library so I’ll be home later. Don’t wait for me okay? I think I’ll go to Yuri’s place after!” Sooyoung shouts on the receiver of her phone.

Changmin eavesdrops at Sooyoung’s conversation inside the busy and noisy cafeteria. “Yah, what in the world are you trying to do? Are you a spy or something?” Sooyoung says reassuringly crossing both her thin arms above her chest.

Changmin doesn’t say anything and comes to Sooyoung’s table. Sooyoung stays silent while nibbling a cookie and staring at her lap top.  Changmin finds himself sitting across Sooyoung on her table.

“Are you supposed to be here?” Sooyoung says to him, not taking her eyes off the screen.

Changmin nods. Seeing that his damsel is busy, Changmin pulls out his phone and directs it to Sooyoung’s face. Click. Click. Click.

Changmin then checks the images and saves it in his “favorites” file. When he turns his attention back to Sooyoung, he just couldn’t describe his feeling seeing his eerie face.

“Delete that or else I’ll kill you right here and now.”

Changmin confidently ignores her and changes the topic. “SO…” Changmin starts, “Why did you help me earlier? I thought you didn’t like me?” he said teasingly.

“I don’t like to see my classmates getting scolded by Prof. Park. Let alone my seatmate.” She says dryly before stealing a look on Changmin; to which Changmin didn’t notice because he was busy with his phone.

***

I wonder how Sooyoung would look like ten years from now. I mean, would I still place her face as my wallpaper? Would I still love her face the way I love it now? And hey, I’m not saying that all I love about her is her face. Not at all…

***

***

Sooyoung stares at the little or rather big kid in front of her. She digs inside her little brain as well as to why she helped him in his situation earlier. She immediately clears her mind and ignores that matter. She decides to close her laptop and talk to Changmin instead.

She slides her pink laptop aside and leans her head on her left hand. “Yah… Shim Changmin…”

Changmin turns his head obediently like a little kid. “Yes?”

“Why do you like me so much? What’s in me that made you think I’m likeable?” She asks him straightforwardly.

“Well, first and foremost is because you’re very pretty… and cute at the same time. That’s for sure. You have this factor in you that just scream ‘I’m a pretty girl’. You’re cheekbones are cute and your nose isn’t any different as well. You’re overall cute and pretty. Then, as time passes by, your personality shows and it’s not half bad. In fact, it’s very, uhm… just like what you said, likeable.” Changmin then smiles innocently.

Sooyoung is quite impressed. She didn’t know he has some brain in that over confident brain of his. “Oh… but do you guys usually base your affections on a girl’s appearance?” Sooyoung leans in forward.

Changmin’s face blushes.

Sooyoung leans back. “I thought so… all guys, are the same aren’t they? They only look at the outer beauty of the person.”

Changmin shakes his head denying Sooyoung’s conclusion.

“So, why do you like me then? Have you seen my inner beauty? I guess you haven’t.”

***

Really. This guy. I don’t know what’s inside his head.

***

***

Why in the world am I attracted to this girl? She’s like double, triple, or even quadruple personalities! One time she’s sweet then next she’s trying to push you away from her.

I just can’t read anything going on inside her head! Gosh. Can’t anyone help me?!

***

Changmin stares at Sooyoung whose phone has been beeping since a little earlier. Changmin stares at Sooyoung as she flips her hair to answer the call.

“Oppa? HanGeng-oppa! Where are you?”

 

 

And then all of the sudden Changmin wants to die.

-----------------------------

Author's Note:

I'm feeling so low today. How can I not download videos? Huhuhuhuhuhuhu....

Anyways, how are you guys doing? Here! Please enjoy my update and please tell me how confused you are already :P (I'm so evil) hehehe...

The thing is, I'm challenging myself how far I could get in complicating plots... Hehehe. Thank you so much!!! Enjoy your summer!

Love, yuiko :*

P.S. Don't forget to write in your comments!