Crossing Bridges

Wishes in Your Eyes

The stormy oceans settled inside him when Seulbi rested her head on his shoulder as he lifted her into his arms. Standing he shook hands with the officer in charge.

“No one could recognize her,” he explained, “so we tried circulating her picture around, but no one came forward to claim her. Luckily, an officer saw a post online searching for a missing girl.” Grinning he leaned forward to speak to Seulbi, “You’re going home now.” but his daughter ignored the department head.

Sehun turned to thank the social worker that had taken Seulbi into a home for children, caring for her until now. After expressing his gratefulness several times Sehun finally exited the station, carrying Seulbi securely to the car.

“I want look for you daddy.” Seulbi pouted. “I miss you. Don’t want stay with mommy. I want be with you.” She sadly sniffed on the verge of crying again.

Patting her back, he assured, “You don’t have to stay with mommy anymore. Don’t cry. We’re going home.”

Opening the rear door, he helped her settle into the booster seat that had been missing its accompaniment.

“We go home?” Seulbi asked.

“Yes, we’re going home.” He brushed a loose strand out of her face. “We’re going to go back to Miss Namjoo. And we’re going to live together. Your Miss Namjoo can’t wait to see you.”

“Where Miss Namjoo?” Seulbi asked.

“She’s waiting for you. Let’s go home now.” He gave her pudgy cheek a peck and backed out of the door. Getting behind the wheel he exclaimed, “We’re going home, Seulbi!”

On the drive home, Seulbi fell asleep. Peering into the rearview mirror he simply smiled content slowing down the highway in order not to wake up his daughter. In due time they arrived home. He woke Seulbi on the way. She whined as he carried her inside. Ecstatic to show her off to Namjoo, but her shoes were missing from the doorstep; the home was quiet.

Sehun searched around, going from room to room calling, “Namjoo? We’re home. Namjoo?”

Seulbi stirred awake and glanced around. “Where Miss Namjoo?”

“I’ll call her.” Setting Seulbi down he searched his pocket for his phone. Dragging up Namjoo’s name onto the screen and listened to the dial tone. When she picked up, he instantly questioned, “Where are you?”

“I thought you should spend some quality time with Seulbi, so I went home.”

“What?” Disappointment flurried through him. “You were supposed to wait.”

“I’ll visit tomorrow.” Namjoo insisted. “Spend the day with Seulbi. She’s going to need you.”

“She wants to see you.” Sehun pressed. “Why couldn’t you have stayed?”

“It’s not a big deal, Sehun. You’re her dad. Spend the time with her.”

“But I want you here.” He stated. “We’re family.” Sensing his desperation Seulbi stared up at him.

“Miss Namjoo?” Seulbi asked.

“She wants to talk to you.” He handed the phone to Seulbi, witnessing the particular way her eyes sparkled.

“Miss Namjoo?” Seulbi innocently called. “I miss you.”

He imagined Namjoo saying the same.

“Why no wait for me?” Seulbi pressed. “I want see you.” Seulbi’s gaze flickered to him. “Okie.”

Sehun’s jaw dropped in protest when Seulbi hung up. “You hung up?”

“Miss Namjoo say bye bye.” Seulbi said yawning.

He was ridiculously hurt. Namjoo had left after staying with him for nearly a week. He had been stupendously happy living with her. Now she was gone.

“Daddy,” Seulbi grabbed his pants and buried her face into his legs, “I tired.”

Now that he’d gotten a missing part of his life back the other was gone. Why couldn’t he just have both of them?

“Ok.” Lifting her he carried her into her bedroom. “Let’s go sleep, huh?” then he would brainstorm a solution to his dilemma.

※※※※※

Namjoo was deep asleep when the ringing of her phone disturbed her awake. Mumbling she shifted onto her back smacking her lips. She was so comfortable. It had felt like ages since she’d lain in her own bed, buried in her sheets.

The ringing of her phone continued. Irate Namjoo blindly dug her hands around until she grasped the mobile. Without looking at the screen she pressed the phone to her ear sleepily greeting, “Hello?”

“Miss Namjoo!” Seulbi screamed so loud her ears deafened. Namjoo stretched the phone away from her ear.

Wide awake she pushed herself up on an elbow blearily blinking. Holding the phone to her ear again, she asked, “Seulbi?”

“Miss Namjoo!”

She recognized Sehun’s voice in the background and then his voice came on. “Sorry about that. She snatched my phone.”

Sitting up, Namjoo rubbed her face. “What’s going on?”

“Seulbi won’t go to sleep.” Sehun told.

“It’s late, Sehun.” Namjoo dunked her head into her knees.

“I know. She really wants to see you or she won’t sleep.” Sehun said. “Can you come?”

Withdrawing the phone, she peered at the time in the upper left screen. It was almost one in the morning. Phone to her ear, “You’re kidding?”

“Please?” he begged. “Save me, Namjoo. I’m tired, too.”

Groaning loudly Namjoo hung up. Tiredly going about her room, she threw in some clothes into her duffel bag and knocked on Chaeri’s door on her way out, informing the friend she was heading out.

Dragging her tired outside she drove to Sehun’s. He opened the door too fast, as if he’d been eagerly waiting. Staring up at him through lazy lids, she mumbled, “Why do I feel like this is a trick?”

“It’s not. I promise.” But he still grinned too happily. Namjoo rolled her eyes when he grabbed her arm to urge her inside and closed the door, locking it. Definitely she was barred from escaping now.

Sehun led her down the hallway to his bedroom where Seulbi was tucked in the center, wide awake and on her tablet. Her eyes widened excited at seeing her.

“Miss Namjoo!” Throwing over the blanket she hopped to her feet and literally leapt off the bed.

Namjoo staggered backwards catching her. “Oh my god!”

“Miss Namjoo!” Seulbi shrieked. “I miss you!”

“Oh…Seulbi.” Forced to wrap her arms around Sehun’s daughter to hold her, Namjoo patted her back. “I missed you, too.” Carrying her to the bed, she set her down asking, “Why are you still awake?”

Widely grinning she glanced over her shoulder. Namjoo turned around to stare at Sehun. Shrugging, he held his hands out. “What?”

Namjoo gave him a terse glare then returned to Seulbi, smiling patiently. “It’s late, Seulbi. Miss Namjoo works tomorrow, how about we sleep?”

“Yay!” Seulbi jumped on the bed rattling the pillows out of place.

Folding the blanket over, Namjoo invited, “Come on.”

“I sleep by you. Please!” Seulbi begged.

“Ok. Get in.” Namjoo said.

Dropping into bed, Seulbi slid up against the pillow and reached for her tablet. “Miss Namjoo, watch with me?”

“Miss Namjoo has to sleep.” Namjoo reminded climbing under the blanket. “I’m very tired.” She made certain to shoot Sehun a condescending stare before settling down.

Sighing she closed her eyes and waited for Sehun to turn the lights off. The weight of the bed shifted following signaling Sehun was also in bed and on the other side of Seulbi.

“Let’s turn it off Seulbi.” Sehun said. “Miss Namjoo needs to sleep.”

“But I want watch.”

“Not now, ok?” Sehun gently said. “Miss Namjoo is here now. You missed her right?”

“Daddy, too.” Seulbi said.

Namjoo scoffed. It had been too obvious. His devious trick getting her to come. She nearly drifted back to sleep when Seulbi rested her head against her shoulder. Relaxing with a smile, Namjoo finally fell asleep.

It felt like an entire night had passed when a loud smack of the lips woke her up. Slimy drool was warm and fresh on her cheek. Her gaze slid to the corner of her eye when she heard giggling. Bending over her, Seulbi peered into her face. Cheerful yet.

Clamping her eyes, Namjoo groaned into the pillow. “Seulbi.”

“Wakey Miss Namjoo.” Seulbi giggled. “Miss Namjoo wakey.”

“Ok. Ok.” Pushing herself up Namjoo rubbed her eyes noticing the other half of the bed was missing its occupant.

Darn Sehun had woken up first and didn’t even bother waking her when she had work. Stumbling out of the bedroom Namjoo rummaged through her duffel for her toothbrush and a change of clothes. Seulbi followed her like a happy puppy giggling and giggling.

“I’m going to brush my teeth, ok?” Namjoo asked.

“Okie!” Spinning away Seulbi ran off.

Sighing tired because her sleep had been disturbed since last night, Namjoo bent over the sink drowsy. She quietly cursed Sehun and his damn antics.

Namjoo raised her head when Sehun slid his arms around her waist. “Woke up?”

“Drop it.” Namjoo warned. “I’m not in the mood.”

“Crabby?” he asked.

“Seriously, Sehun.” Namjoo grumbled. “You had to wake me up in the AM just to come here.”

“Sorry,” he burrowed his face into her shoulder, “but not really. Then why did you leave?”

“You can’t spend some time alone with your daughter?” Namjoo asked. “After all that crying you did. Don’t tell me you faked it.”

“It felt empty without you.” Sehun professed. “You were supposed to be waiting for us and we were going to celebrate Seulbi coming home.”

“Ok, I’m sorry. I’m in the wrong.” Namjoo gave up irritated. “Can I brush my teeth and change?”

“You can do it in front of me.” he smugly grinned.

“Sehun!”

“Fine.” He pouted backing out and closed the door.

Huffing Namjoo locked the door and turned the faucet on.

Seulbi was glued to the television when Namjoo walked toward the kitchen carrying her duffel. Breakfast was prepared as it should be.

“So quick to leave?” Sehun guilt tripped. “Why can’t you just live here?”

Hearing this Seulbi turned to stare at her. Put on the spot Namjoo couldn’t help flushing with heat. She shot Sehun a warning glare.

“It’s almost the weekend anyway and you’ll be spending your time here,” Sehun knowingly said joining her at the table. “Let’s go on a date. I want to take you somewhere.”

“Where’s there to go?” Namjoo stuffed herself.

“There are places.” Sehun confirmed then asked Seulbi, “Right, Seulbi?”

“Yes!” his daughter readily replied as if she knew.

Namjoo scoffed. “One of these days, she’s not going to be on your side anymore.”

Grabbing her chin, he turned her toward him. “Try and change that then.”

Namjoo flung his hand away. “I’m eating.”

Resting his cheek against his fist he watched her happily. “You need to have one of your own to go up against me and Seulbi.”

“Shut up.” Namjoo spat. Pushing her empty plate toward him she got up. “I’m going to work.”

It got on her nerves the singular way Sehun chuckled after her.

Namjoo returned to Sehun’s at the end of the day, dropping off cards and letters her classmates had made for Seulbi since she wouldn’t be returning to school till next week. His daughter had joyfully shuffled through them and asked to go back to school as soon as possible, but Sehun had taken a week leave from work meaning she couldn’t. He had soothed his upset daughter with ice cream.

That weekend the father-daughter duo waited for her Saturday morning. Quickly shipping her off into Sehun’s car and onto the road. Their destination of the day, the mall. Seulbi’s face was priceless when they arrived at the arcade sparkling with lights and a thousand games. She splurged more than necessary for a four-year-old, drowning into the weekend’s crowd of teenagers. It took some convincing and lying to divert Seulbi’s ongoing excitement from the gamers. An hour and a half later they successfully left.

Riding the escalator he let Seulbi go through a toy store. Her jaw dropped upon seeing the products on display, but some browsing later she eventually decided on her choice of entertainment. A stuffed whale and animal toy set of characters from a show she obsessed over per Sehun’s words.

Once she was satisfied, Sehun dragged them out of the store to the fashion outlet across the hall, the place of his real interest. Namjoo’s brows rose questionably when he led them inside the packed store right into the children’s department. Nearby infant and toddler clothing hung from racks in assortments of sizes. Other necessities like socks, baby blankets, wash cloths, and bibs were strategically placed right around the corner.

“Go find something you like, Seulbi, but stay close, ok?” Sehun called after Seulbi.

“Ok!” she called out and scurried away to eyeball some shirts folded neatly on a center table.

“So?” Sehun slid an arm around her waist.

“What are you up to?” Namjoo suspiciously eyed him distrustfully.

“Aren’t they cute?” he persuaded.

“We already went over this,” Namjoo sighed.

“You don’t even want one?” he asked. “Not even with me?”

Namjoo only heaved another sigh.

In high spirits Sehun broadly smiled. Pecking her. “Let’s. Hmm? Namjoo.” Whining like a child he wrapped his other arm around her and swayed her. Without a care he kissed her neck and contentedly buried his face into her shoulder. “Let’s become a family, Namjoo. We already wasted enough time. Ok?”

On the road home, Namjoo listened to Seulbi sing a tune in the backseat. Felt like last year when she went missing and now everything had found its place of belonging. She could still recall the fresh turmoil Sehun had experienced just a few days prior.

Namjoo had truly never seen him so distraught or outraged. Toward Haewon he had literally been a brute. Fighting with such menace all for one reason. He wanted to live beautifully.

Reaching over Sehun covered her hand, intertwining his fingers through hers. He firmly offered a smile when she glanced at him. His sweet ways always made her lose in their psychological battles.

They had honestly come some way. Namjoo also did not want another distance of several more years between them. She had been dangling between two gorges for too long. Sehun was already here and confessing, and with Seulbi Namjoo had no chance of winning.

Fine. She would lose for them.

Folding her fingers around his hand, Namjoo returned the smile.

When they got back to his place, she spread out Seulbi’s toys with her. Playing with her while Sehun unpacked, coming to join them after he finished, but Seulbi didn’t want him playing with them, so his daughter cast him to the side. Then they cooked dinner with Seulbi being their little assistant. That night Namjoo also bathed her. For the evening they settled down for a movie until Seulbi started nodding off and Sehun carried her to bed.

“I’m exhausted,” he sighed dropping into bed at the of midnight.

“I should be complaining.” Namjoo mumbled with a shut eye.

“So, we’re finally alone.” Her eyes opened when Sehun shifted to face her.

“You’re such a .” She said turning as his hand glided up her thigh into her long t-shirt.

“I’m always for you.” The low of his laugh seemed to also rumble inside her chest. “Oh?” His hand stopped at her hip realizing there was nothing.

Though his room was laced in darkness Namjoo could imagine the spark in his eyes. The pretty gleam of awe and tranquility. That this time, at long last, the wait was over. They had climbed over the mountain of four years. Better settle for what they could create now than nothing again.

“Sehun,” she quietly said, “I took the implant out.”

Silence droned around them as he sank the fact in. The widening of his lips was as obvious as ever.

“Really?” Every ounce of happiness vibrated through his tone. Sliding a bit closer, “Then, I really don’t have to worry about anything tonight?”

“You were kind of obvious today.” She gasped and partially giggled when he yanked her even closer.

Giving her a lasting kiss, he whispered, “I love you.” and didn’t give her a moment’s breather, pushing her onto her back, knees between her legs, and pulled his shirt off.

Namjoo gushed when he took her breath away with another deep kiss. Shimmying out of his sweats he bent down and speedily rolled the hem of her t-shirt up her hips. Choppily breathing she grasped onto his shoulders when their skin seared.

“I love you.” She said as their heat merged and they spent yet another beautiful night fulfilling long awaited wishes.


***wiping my tears, I think I delayed writing because there are only 2 chapters left