Clashes

Wishes in Your Eyes

※※※※※

No answer.

Namjoo put the phone down. Concern intensified. Impulsively grabbing her bag, she called out to Chaeri, “I’m going to Sehun’s.” and scurried out the door.

Today was the day. That was why she’d left Sehun to be alone with Seulbi. She had always seen how much he loved her. Adoring his daughter every second of the day. Constantly making sure there was food on the table for her. Giving her the freedom to enjoy herself while also disciplining her to be a good person.

Sehun had really done his best by himself.

All on his own and the mere thought of that made her very sad for him.

Swerving into the parking lot, Namjoo scrambled out of the car nearly tripping on her way up the sidewalk. Then forgetting she had left her keys hanging in the ignition ran back to the vehicle to yank them out and slammed the door shut. Finally running up the rest of the walk to Sehun’s door, she rang the bell. Once and twice impatiently.

“Sehun!” She knocked on the door for extra measure. He had to be in. It was the weekend. He would have nowhere else to be. Knocking again, “Sehun!”

She tried the knob. It was locked. Namjoo knocked again. Stepping back when the door opened and saw the pain in his face.

“They left.” His voice cracked.

Immediately embracing his broken form, Namjoo held him tightly. Unsure anything she did now would be able to make him feel better even if she loved him so much.

“Have you eaten?” Was the first thing she questioned when she was let in and Sehun sunk at the table, head drooping.

“I’m not hungry.” He mumbled.

Namjoo pulled out ingredients from his fridge instead and searched for a pan. “You have to eat. It’s not the time to be weak right now. If you want to get Seulbi back, you need to have some strength.”

Switching the stove on she started on something quick and easy. Five minutes and she slid a warm plate in front of him, but Sehun just sniffed as tears fell.

“Do you think I’m a bad father?” he asked. “She was crying when I forced her to go. Seulbi must hate me.”

Pained for him, Namjoo pulled the nearby chair out and sat facing him. “You’re not a bad father. Everyone tries their best, but today you had no choice. It’s not your fault and I’m sure that Seulbi understands that.”

She touched his hand; the least she could do.

“She never wanted Seulbi,” he told. “Haewon wanted to get rid of her. It was me who forced her to have Seulbi. Am I wrong? Is this my fault?”

“I believe you did the right thing,” Namjoo comforted. “You gave Seulbi a chance. You gave her your best. She’s got nothing but the best.” Letting go of his hand, she dug into her purse. “Here, I have something for you.”

Placing a white envelope in his hand she pressed a palm atop it to ensure he held onto it instead of attempting to return it.

“Seulbi has so much life in her. Don’t think of the bad times, Sehun. Seulbi is always so happy she’s always laughing. Every day is a joy for her because she has you to fall back on. Out of everyone in this whole wide world, you’re her favorite person. Dad this, dad that.” Namjoo gently smiled. Heat welled in her eyes when tears dripped down his face. “It’s from my savings. Use it to help look for a lawyer. Let’s bring Seulbi home.”

Gritting his teeth, he released a short cry surprising her when he abruptly hugged her, muffling sobs into her shoulder.

※※※※※

Sehun immediately grabbed his laptop and looked up a child custody lawyer. Someone who professionalized in family law, because he was going to fight for custody of Seulbi. Angrily chowing down Namjoo’s meal, he sent an email hoping to be contacted as soon as possible. Proceedings always took time, so he had to prioritize this. Save his daughter.

After tucking dishes away, Namjoo wiped her wet hands against her jeans and returned to the table. “Did you find one?”

“I just emailed him.” Sehun explained. “He’s from out of town, but I can drive out to meet him if I have to.”

Brushing her hand affectionately over his hairline, Namjoo smiled. “You do what you have to.”

Wrapping an arm around her waist, he leaned his head on her shoulder. “I’m worried about her.”

“Haewon’s her mom. She must at least know how to take care of her.”

“She’s not the best mom.” He shut his eyes unable to comprehend how awful Haewon was. “Haewon only cares about herself. She only wanted to hurt me by taking Seulbi.”

“What does she have against you?” Namjoo wondered.

“I was her bank. I gave her everything.” Sehun sighed. “I regret it.”

“You were young, Sehun.”

“I always missed you.” Sehun said. “I missed you so much. I thought I could have gotten married and have a stable life. I was going to be a good father and husband. I imagined everything, but Haewon didn’t want any of it. And I constantly missed you. I should have never left. I’m sorry.”

Pecking the roof of his head, Namjoo said, “It doesn’t matter anymore, Sehun. You came back and you brought Seulbi. Don’t regret anything anymore.”

Sinking into the comfort of her presence he begged, “Don’t leave me alone. I don’t think I can stand the thought of being by myself.”

That night he let Namjoo borrow some of his clothes. Becoming needy as he curled up by her throughout the night, burrowing into her space. Feeling so desolate and empty, aware that Seulbi was with Haewon and he didn’t know how they were doing. Haewon’s phone was off. He had reached voicemail the five times he tried calling. Fully knowing she was doing this to spite him made him angrier, but raging would get him nowhere.

Sehun felt beat like some rag doll thrown onto the roadside and run over a hundred times. He didn’t want to eat the coming day. He didn’t want to do anything at all. He spent the entire time calling and calling to no avail.

Finally, the lawyer called him Monday morning. Sehun immediately abandoned his breakfast to answer the call. They could meet that afternoon. Could he make time? Yes! Yes, definitely!

Lawyer Hui was a fifty-something man with graying hair. He wore a sleek navy suit, but the soft edges in his face said he was a promising man. The moment Sehun sat down he slid his business card over, introducing himself right away and wasting no second about what he could do for him.

“In order to overturn a court order, we will need some proof of the mother’s incompetency.” Lawyer Hui hit the nail. “Is she on drugs, need rehabilitation, have enough funds to provide for a child.”

“I don’t know about that.” Sehun shook his head. “Money-wise, I’m not sure she has bank installments. I don’t even know if she has a job or how the court order happened.”

“See,” the elder leaned forward, “the thing about court orders are very complex. Even if a mother and father are no longer together and the child is a minor, if either parent is willing to be a caring participant than the child has no choice. Until proven otherwise, of course.”

“So, I just have to prove she’s incompetent?” Sehun asked.

“One way or another,” the lawyer said.

“If I put up a fight for custody then what happens?”

“You will need to prove you are the more competent parent. I will start a legal dispute for you, but custody battles can take up to years if the mother fights back.” Lawyer Hui informed.

Seulbi will get sandwiched between him and Haewon’s ugly fight. Under every circumstance he would get her back. He promised her he would.

“I’ll do it.” Sehun claimed.

The lawyer scribbled some notes for him before they departed. Sehun drove back to Goseong with a peace of mind that he was finally getting something done. He really wanted to call Namjoo to update her on the news, but recalled she was still at work. Heading straight for the bus stop he waited for her in hopes of seeing his daughter, too.

Sehun loitered. He waited. Then the bus rolled around and he leapt out of his car anxiously. He needed to see how Seulbi was doing. Part of him hoping awful, so that he could take her home. He eagerly watched happy kids hop off the bus into their mother’s arms. The bigger part of him wishing that was him and Namjoo, and that Seulbi actually had a normal life with two parents.

His heart panged when he saw his daughter no different than the day he let her go, climb down the steps. Oblivious and go-happy. It hurt him so bad that she wasn’t coming home with him.

All his turmoil blew up when Seulbi stopped after several stops when she saw him. Just staring like she hadn’t seen him in ages and didn’t recognize him anymore. That glimmer in her eyes teared him up.

“Daddy!” Seulbi raced toward him.

His legs turned into jello as he knelt down to catch her in his hug. Sehun held her tightly then let go and traced her face. “Hey, kiddo. How are you?”

“I miss you daddy.” Seulbi sadly pouted.

He straightened her dress and patted away creases. “Have you been eating? Has your mommy been taking care of you?”

“She’s been just fine.” A shadow towered over them. He glanced up to see Haewon at the side.

Seulbi clung onto him, hanging her head low.

“You need to stop babying her or else she’ll never grow up, Sehun.” Haewon lectured. “You spoil her too much. She’s not even capable of washing herself. What exactly have you been doing?”

“She’s still learning,” Sehun gritted his teeth rising to his feet. “Don’t talk about her like she’s a teenager and ready to run off.”

“You need to give her some independence and be stricter,” Haewon tilted her chin up. “Or else she will never learn.”

“Do you even know how old your daughter is?” Sehun demanded.

Haewon intensely stared into his eyes then her hand out. “Come, Seulbi. We’re going home.”

Seulbi whimpered. Sadly, looking at him. “Daddy. Don’t want go.”

His heart broke. He angrily Haewon. “Have you been taking care of her?”

“I am her mother,” Haewon carefully enunciated each word. “I have not mistreated her.” Scolding Seulbi, “I said let’s go!”

Seulbi cried. “Daddy!”

“Do you want me to call the cops?” Haewon threatened.

“There’s no reason to call the cops,” Namjoo uneasily fiddled with her fingers.

“This is none of your business!” Haewon snapped at her.

“Haewon!” Sehun raised his voice.

The woman huffed then impatiently snatched Seulbi’s hand. “I said let’s go, Seulbi.”

“Daddy!” Seulbi cried stubbornly refusing to let go of his shirt.

“It’s ok. It’s ok.” He patted her head. He wanted to bury himself when he unwrapped her fingers from his shirt. “Be a good girl, ok?”

Seulbi sniffed as her face grew red. Haewon grunted upset when she tugged her away and he watched his daughter peer over her shoulder helplessly as they crossed the street. His gaze yearningly followed them down the sidewalk the farther Haewon took Seulbi from him.

He felt like a failure. Useless. Powerless.

“It’s ok, Sehun.” Namjoo touched his shoulder. “She was a little quiet this morning, but she played well.”

He in a breath unwilling to believe Haewon was doing a good job. He would never believe that Haewon could be a mom.

“Come on,” Namjoo took his arm and attempted to pull him toward his car. Sehun didn’t move. Refused to budge. “Sehun. Come on.”

He was wounded when Namjoo managed to turn him around and lead him to the car, opening the passenger’s door for him. He sunk into the seat unable to fathom what he just did.

Starting the engine, Namjoo gave him one glance then signaled and veered down the street. He desperately searched for a sign of his daughter, but there was none.

“I hate myself.” He squeezed his eyes shut. “She didn’t want to go.”

“You didn’t have a choice.” She so calmly said that his blood suddenly rushed and he wanted to beat the dashboard.

“I had a choice dammit!” he couldn't help yelling. “She didn’t want Haewon!”

Hitting the turn signal Namjoo pulled onto the side of the street and shifted the gear into park. For several minutes traffic blew past during the heavy silence. His breathing shuddered as he leaned into the window shifted away from her, covering his eyes with his hand. He didn’t want her to see him like this. A mess. And he couldn’t face himself for what he’d done.

He was angry. He couldn’t do anything for his daughter.

“I hate this,” he grumbled. “It’s not fair.”

He should have, but he couldn’t even put his arm around Namjoo when she comfortingly leaned over the seat into him. Try to tell him he was not in this alone.

Truth was, he felt very much by himself. No matter how much anyone did anything for him, Seulbi was his daughter and he had hurt her again. That was all on him. This was his battle. Namjoo could not go to court for him. Try to prove that Haewon was not mother material. Only he could.

“I want to be alone.” Sehun quietly mumbled when they arrived in front of his apartment.

“Ok.” Namjoo stepped out of the car and handed him the keys.

“Sorry for making you come all the way here.” Sehun apologized staring at the ground.

“It’s ok. I can grab a cab.” Namjoo said. “Will you be ok?”

“Yea,” he nodded. “I just…need to think.”

“Sehun, you don’t need to do this by yourself. You can fall back on me. I hope you know that.” Namjoo softly said. “No matter what, I’ll always be here for you.”

Tiptoeing she gave him a peck on the cheek and walked away.

Feeling low he headed into his home. So quiet it was unnerving. No Seulbi to ask him for some juice. No one on the couch singing a tune as she watched a show on her tablet. He didn’t even start on dinner right away, make sure their bellies were filled for the evening. Sehun stumbled over to the couch and laid down.

He wanted to dream all this away. Wishing time could flow faster, so the custody battle was over and Seulbi could come home unscathed and Haewon would disappear from Goseong.

He had aimed to come back home and live peacefully. Fall in love with his best friend. Marry her. Start a family. Seulbi would have someone to play with. Not so his past could follow him and stir unnecessary trouble out of spite.

Yet here he was. Facing his own fallout. And his daughter was pinned in the middle.

His head spun. Thinking and thinking for hours until he fell asleep in the middle of his blurry thoughts and awoke groggy in the late evening. Hungry he staggered into the kitchen. The first thought that hit him was concern whether his daughter had eaten. Sehun almost called out for Seulbi then remembered she was not home with him. Safe under one roof.

His heart hung deeper in the murky clouds. One glance at the time and he wondered if Haewon had bathed his daughter. She didn’t just abandon Seulbi alone in the bath by herself and expect her to scrub herself clean or shampoo her hair. His heart hurt at the mere thought of Seulbi shivering , hair wet, and not knowing what to do.

He hated this.

Tears overwhelmingly flooded his eyes as he forced noodles down his throat. His poor daughter. How was she managing under Haewon’s care?

Tossing the cup of noodles away he stalked down the hallway and shut the door to the bathroom. Laying in bed with his hair wet after a quick shower he spent the coming hours staring up at the ceiling. Full of worry.

He couldn’t stop thinking of the unthinkables. Worrying and worrying and worrying over his daughter’s welfare.

He had not given birth to Seulbi for her to live a cruel life.

She had always been his the first time he held her in his arms. Seulbi the loveliest.

Unable to sleep he grabbed his phone and listened to the other end of the line ring. “I miss you.” Was the first thing he said. “Can you come to me? I don’t want to be alone.”

Sehun waited in the doorway. Mentally bruised and cut, waiting and watching for bright headlights to appear. It was a cab that turned into the parking lot. The door opened and Namjoo climbed out of the backseat carrying a bag of spare clothes. Without sparing any more wasted seconds he ran from the doorway meeting her halfway, enveloping her into his arms.

He couldn’t mutter a word as he buried his face into her shoulder. Drawing in the warmth of her body.

Sliding her arms around him, Namjoo patted his back. “I’m here.”

That was all he needed.

Taking her hand, they walked toward his apartment. Sharing the silence as if speaking through it and understanding each other. In unspoken agreement they settled down on his doorstep and stared into the night sky just like they once used to. Namjoo’s duffel settled at her feet and their hands entwined.

“I met the lawyer today,” Sehun told. “He’s going to submit a dispute for me, so I can get Seulbi back.”

“That’s good.” Namjoo commented.

“It’ll take some time, but I’m confident I can win.” Sehun continued. “I have a stable income. A job. A home. I can send Seulbi to school and clothe her.” He turned to her affectionately staring, “And you’ll be my wife and Seulbi’s mom. That’s better than anything Haewon can provide her with.”

Namjoo didn’t refute and it didn’t matter if they both knew they wouldn’t be tying the knot impulsively, because of the situation. But they were mutual and their feelings were unyielding. Either way there was no difference. The rest of their lifetime was going to be spent together.

As one.

As a family.

Meeting his stare, Namjoo smiled. Touching her cheek, he kissed her.

Day 3 without Seulbi came. He and Namjoo had finished washing up. Breakfast was prepared. They had taken the day off from work to drive out and meet with the lawyer in the afternoon. His phone rang distracting their focus.

It all happened so fast his memory spun back to that day when Haewon called. Telling him she was pregnant.

“This is the Goseong Police Department, Chief Administrative speaking. Is this Oh Sehun?” The voice came. “I want to inform you that your daughter Oh Seulbi has been reported missing.”


***he fought for his daughter and now she's missing ;;;;;;