Epilogue

Wishes in Your Eyes

※※※※※

A few months passed in a blur of colors. Namjoo could no longer hide her belly. It popped out whatever she wore. He thought it was insanely cute especially because she waddled whenever she walked.

“See?” Sehun pointed at the monitor. Seulbi was on his lap in the checkup room with Namjoo. She was getting her ultrasound done and they were finding out the gender of the baby today. His daughter’s eyes had gone wide.

“Oh! It’s moving. Right there. Can you see it?” the doctor asked Seulbi. Receiving no reply, the doctor pointed to a dancing bulb on the screen. “And it looks like we got the gender!”

Sehun held the ultrasound picture up toward the lights as they walked out of the hospital. He was overjoyed. Proud. Beyond happy.

Seulbi toddled beside him holding onto Namjoo’s hand.

“Would you look at that!” he exclaimed when they stepped outside. “Seulbi, you’re going to have a brother.”

Seulbi pouted, lips firmly glued together. “But I want a girl.”

Sneakily shooting Namjoo a glance, he said, “You’re going to have to ask mom.”

Seulbi stared up at Namjoo. “Please? Want a girl.”

Namjoo glowered at him. “Stop giving her ideas.”

“Don’t get angry at me.” Sehun held his arms up in surrender. “Your daughter asked for a sister.”

“Oh? Is it my fault we’re having a boy?” Namjoo guilted.

“Please,” he tried. “Don’t be so angry, huh? It’s bad for the baby.”

Namjoo ignored him. So did Seulbi. Especially when they returned home to their flat in the high-rise building.

They had moved, because Namjoo had moved in and he was about to have another child. The funds for a lawyer had been retracted. Haewon withdrew her court order and vanished from their lives. Till now Sehun had not heard from her. No news was good news.

Combining their accounts, Sehun and Namjoo had looked long and hard for a spacious apartment their children could run around freely. Seulbi could have her own room again. In the meantime, they planned to build the crib in their room, attach it to the bed for easy access when Namjoo gave birth. Recently they had began saving for diapers and necessities for their newborn. Most importantly Sehun had chucked in a dozen names for their possible son or daughter.

Now that he knew there was a son on the way he could throw the other portion away. Or maybe keep it in case there was a daughter in the future. He really did want another baby. With Namjoo he wanted everything possible.

Seulbi parted from them when they arrived home. Sulking as she sat down to play games on her tablet. Her way of telling them to leave her alone until she wanted attention. Namjoo dropped onto the leather sectional to rest. Her eyes settled on Seulbi who was turned away from her.

Their marriage papers had been signed and turned in. Chaeri and Chanyeol, against his wishes, had been invited to be witnesses to their marriage. He didn’t know why Namjoo didn’t just invite one of her teacher friends instead, but he couldn’t complain because he had no one to call.

“Hungry?” he walked over with a box of crackers.

“You’re too lazy to make something?” Namjoo was irritated like usual. She was always irritated now that she was carrying. Still, she snatched the box from him as he joined her on the couch and held onto it tightly.

“Petty.” He mumbled. Namjoo hugged the box closer and away from him. He let her have it.

The days wore on. In the mornings they woke up together, ate, and left home as a family. At the end of the day they returned home to each other; Namjoo with Seulbi and he to them. They celebrated Seulbi’s fifth birthday with new mom Namjoo and the baby in her belly.

Some evenings Seulbi would lay down on the couch, press an ear to Namjoo’s belly, and exclaim in amazement whenever the baby kicked. His daughter was the most allured at Namjoo’s growing form. Continuously asking questions innocent questions about how her brother would come out, what he looked like, wasn’t she tired of carrying him already?

Once he teased Seulbi that the new baby would take her spot and become the favorite. When she ran away crying Namjoo scolded him endlessly. For an entire week Seulbi wouldn’t talk to him.

When Namjoo grew bigger he started helping her up from bed, putting her shoes on for her, and began taking over household tasks. Seulbi became his aide, mopping the floors, cleaning the kitchen, scrubbing the bathroom clean. His daughter had even learned to make her own ham and cheese sandwich.

Seeing her grow up right before his eyes made him feel sad yet wholesome. Witnessing her offer a slice to Namjoo made him even happier.

Deep in his heart he knew Seulbi would come to love Namjoo. Adore her the way he did. Sehun was blessed that Namjoo’s heart was so big, accepting Seulbi into her life and treating her like her own. Despite whatever her father believed about him and Seulbi, Namjoo went right on living as she pleased.

She loved him he knew, even if she was pregnant and irritable constantly. When his son arrived, he’d have to pick up much slack except this time there would be Namjoo. He wouldn’t be on his own. Sehun needn’t sit by the window, cradling an infant, staring out the window daydreaming about better times.

The best times was now. With Namjoo, his wife. When the baby arrived, she would stick around, patiently listen and learn how to feed, bathe, clean bottles, and change a diaper even if she grimaced and complained. But Namjoo would be here for her son with him. Everything Seulbi missed out on, everything Namjoo should have been there for she would this time for her son.

Sehun would be right by her side. His son would have a beautiful sister who would always protect him. They would be partners in crime and create trouble. Their two children would frustrate them endlessly, but receive only the best.

Sehun was prepared to tackle anything on. This time would make all the difference, because they were together.

And this time, Sehun could finally have a shot at being the best husband, the best father; the best of the best. He would provide for his family. He was going to give his little family everything possible.

Through thick and thin, fights and makeups he was going to plaster himself to them like glue. Namjoo, Seulbi, his son.

His head rolled to the left when Namjoo’s hand slammed against his arm. Then again repeatedly. “Sehun.” Louder. “Sehun!” Waking him with a fright. “I think my water broke.”

It was in the dead of the night when he woke up. The bed was soaked and Namjoo was trying to sit up, but her big belly made it impossible. They had prepared a bag to go to the hospital for her to get induced tomorrow. Seemed the baby was in a hurry to meet them.

“Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god…” was all he remembered freaking about while Namjoo screamed curses at him.

Running down the hall he woke Seulbi up in her pajamas, yelling for her to hurry, put your shoes on, and sped down the road frantically honking at every car in front of him. They made it barely. At the hospital the nurses immediately took Namjoo into a room. Too scared and tired, Seulbi slept on a waiting chair while he went inside to hold Namjoo’s clammy hand through the pushing and screaming.

5AM his son arrived. A tiny thing kicking and wailing. When the nurses returned after cleaning the baby they cried together as Namjoo held their son while the nurse corrected her posture. Wrapping an arm around her he held her steady.

“He’s finally here.” She gasped a cry. Rubbing a gentle finger over his cheek. “He’s so pretty.”

“We did it.” Digging his hand into her arm he kissed her cheek.

Seulbi was too afraid to hold the baby when she woke up. Rather she stared silently then turned to him and asked for food.

Oh Kihoon went home with them a day later.

In the early days Namjoo focused majority of her attention on the needy infant. He helped show her how to wash the baby and change his diaper. Smart Namjoo got the hang of it after watching once. Eager to take on the task for herself Namjoo never minded him, so he about being obsessive over something she thought she never wanted.

Namjoo woke up constantly to check on Kihoon who slept in the crib he’d attached to the bed. She did it so much she started falling asleep while preparing a bottle at dawn he took over the chore.

Seulbi neither went near them nor asked to touch the new addition to their family. A good portion of the first week was spent like that. One evening when Namjoo was showering, he placed Kihoon into her lap. Seulbi shrieked, bawling as she pushed him away.

“What the hell did you do?” Namjoo demanded after washing up.

“I just tried to get her to hold Kihoon.” Sehun replied, rocking the sleepy baby against his shoulder. “She hasn’t asked about him at all.”

“Give her some space, eventually she’ll decide on her own when she’s ready, Sehun.” Namjoo scolded. Disappearing into their bedroom to toss away the damp towel she clicked her tongue annoyed he had stirred up something unnecessary.

“I was just worried,” he excused following her inside. “What if Seulbi hates him?”

“She does not hate him.” Namjoo tossed the towel away a bit angrily. “Jesus, Sehun. Can’t you try to understand her? She was your only child for four years and you want to shove another kid in her face, how is she supposed to accept that?”

“It’s her brother.”

“You’re clearly missing the point.” Sitting at the edge of the bed, Namjoo nagged. “Give him to me.”

“I put him to sleep.” Sehun pettily reminded handing him over as he sat down. He watched Namjoo affectionately brush a hand over Kihoon’s thick hair. His son whimpered and turned burrowing his face into Namjoo’s . With a deep sigh he fell back asleep, unmoving.

“I just think it’s a little awkward for Seulbi.” Namjoo continued softly patting Kihoon’s bottom. “She’ll get used to sharing her space with him. Our girl is too sweet to not love her brother.”

“Our girl.” He repeated happily scoffing. Leaning his head on her shoulder he said, “I’m happy, Namjoo.”

When he woke up the following morning, Namjoo was missing from his side. Alert he pushed himself up, first peering into the crib to find Kihoon still asleep. Curious where Namjoo had gone he went to search for her tiredly scratching the back of his head. Passing Seulbi’s bedroom he paused.

The door wasn’t closed all the way, so he pushed it open cautious not to make noise. Poking his head inside he spotted Namjoo curled up on the twin bed next to their daughter, her arm wrapped around Seulbi. Both of them deep in dreamland.

The sight was heartwarming. Witnessing the two of them get so much closer after Namjoo moved in made his life all the more perfect. One day far in the future Seulbi would be able to go to Namjoo if she needed to hide anything from him. Not too soon though he hoped.

Stepping into the room quietly he adjusted the blanket over them and bent down to place a kiss on Namjoo’s head. His other hand Seulbi’s hair. Neither of them woke up for him. Leaving them be he headed back out to find Kihoon starting to cry. His little one kicking the air attempting to get up and upset he couldn’t

“We left you alone and you’re angry?” He baby talked reaching into the crib for his son. “It’s ok. Daddy’s here.” Gnawing on his tiny fist Kihoon babbled when he uprighted him. Grinning, Sehun nuzzled his face. “That’s my boy. You’re happy now, right?”

Kihoon shrieked thrilled.

Turning around he said, “Let’s go change you before mommy wakes up.”

He spent the morning preparing a bottle, fed Kihoon, and burped him. Settling on the mat he’d bought he laid out Kihoon’s interactive baby toys courtesy of Chaeri. Speaking baby language with him while waiting for Namjoo and Seulbi to wake up.

At the first sound of noises he spotted Namjoo coming down the hallway with Seulbi who was currently rubbing her eyes. It looked like Namjoo had helped her tie her long hair back.

“Awake?” he asked.

“Did you eat?” Yawning Namjoo walked into the kitchen to look for food.

“Didn’t want to without you.” Sehun called out. Namjoo groaned and resorted to pouring herself a glass of water. Seulbi plopped down on the floor with them and stared at Kihoon.

Laughing amused, she said, “He’s ugly.”

Kihoon replied with a high shriek, drooling heavily as he grinned.

“I think he agrees.” Sehun teased. Leaning back on his hands, he focused on Seulbi, “Did you sleep with mommy yesterday?”

Nodding, Seulbi said, “Mommy is my favorite. Daddy can sleep with Kihoon. Mommy sleep with me.”

“Nuh-uh,” Sehun shook his head baffled. “We’re not going to fight over mommy again. Daddy already won.”

Seulbi’s expression immediately changed to an angry glare. Stomping her feet, she got up and ran into the kitchen where Namjoo still was, on the verge of tears, “Mommy!”

He was about to get another lecture from Namjoo again.

Turning to Kihoon, he sighed. “I lost Kihoon. When are you going to help me win?”


***HAHAHAHA and the saga of father and daughter competing for Namjoo continues

***So, this is it. The story has ended. Nothing too dramatic. I think it was a pretty light reading compared to my other angsty stories :D For now I plan to take a short break while preparing for my next story from which I'll be twisting into a drama per a twitter au :) I will see you all again! Thank you so much for reading! 

***P.S. Namjoo finally debuts as a soloist Sept 7. Please kindly support her <3  Vote for her so she wins at least once ;D