Truce

Wishes in Your Eyes

Seulbi screeched thrilled, jumping, hopping from wave to wave. Staying nearest the shoreline as Namjoo settled on the beach to watch her. The mighty wind surged whipping her hair across her face. Unaffected Seulbi crouched to touch the foamy water awed. In her own world she’d forgotten Namjoo was just a yard away keeping watch.

They had made the walk toward the docks that connected to the waters. From anywhere on the east side anyone could find their way to the ocean. The blue visible from almost anywhere in the small town. Always an obvious sparkling sight between the gaps of any building.

Sehun had stopped at a parlor behind them to buy snacks telling them to go ahead. Seulbi had been fired up when she realized she could get a popsicle along with finally visiting the beach. So ecstatic she had skipped all the way onto the sandy beach. Birds dotted the clear afternoon sky. Crying hungrily as the sun glowed strongly. Several seagulls cautiously stayed lengths away as they prowled the beach for litter.

Namjoo had taken her shoes off, setting them on her left, and dug her toes into the warm sand. The beach stretched for miles. Locals spread out among it enjoying the afternoon. Wading in the water, posing for pictures, just sitting or laying down on beach towels to enjoy the sanctity of life.

To fish a license was required. Usually those interested stayed on the docks or took out their boats. Better catches were found miles out in the center of the ocean than nearer the shore. Goseong was popular for shipbuilding, so nearly every man near the coastal line owned a simple motor.

“Have one,” Sehun dropped a black bag by her. “I’ll be back.” As he raced off, he screamed, “Seulbi!”

His daughter jolted from where she’d been playing. Easily lifting her out of the water Namjoo listened to him scold her about wetting her tennis shoes. Never minding him as he took the soaked shoes off and quickly returned to playing with the water.

“They’re all wet,” Sehun mumbled despaired returning with dripping shoes.

Heaving a sigh, he dropped down beside her. Grabbing the bag, he pulled out a popsicle and unwrapped it. Pulling his knees up he focused on Seulbi.

“Sorry, for being mean the other day.” Sehun apologized. “I shouldn’t have judged you so fast. You clearly can make your own decisions without interference.”

Glancing away from him, Namjoo muttered, “Forget it.”

“Are you angry at me?”

“I said forget it.” Namjoo’s tone strained. “It’s not the first time you’ve said something mean, so you don’t have to make it awkward.”

She couldn’t help looking at the bruise and cut on his face. Comparing those to the wounds on Chanyeol’s face and Namjoo almost wanted to throw her head back to laugh.

Unbelievable.

“Do you know him?” Sehun asked.

“Why? Do you?”

“We share a workplace.”

At this Namjoo scoffed before thinking. “That explains your face.”

“I started the fight.” Was not what she expected to hear.

“You must be insane.” Breaking off her popsicle with her teeth she chewed on it.

“I don’t like the thought of him touching you.”

Namjoo choked. Slamming her fist against her chest she coughed surprised. To help Sehun pounded her back with his palm. The pain increased as the bit of popsicle she hadn’t finished chewing forced its way down . The icicle sliding slowly, slowly, slowly. She wheezed when the pressure passed.

Flinging his hand away she shouted perplexed, “Are you out of your mind?”

“What?” Sehun leaned back wide eyed. “You were choking.”

Clamping her eyes shut she sighed. “Why would you get into a fist fight over something so lame?”

“Lame?” he frowned perplexed. “It’s not lame. I just think you deserve better than that.” Namjoo’s eyes turned hard. Sehun hesitated before adding, “Or him.”

Namjoo wanted to choke him. Four years later and he decided to care about her decisions. But recalling how she’d regretted being foul toward him she thought better. She didn’t want to be the one planting the seed that made the gap between them larger. Choosing her begrudging emotions over their friendship was her loss.

Namjoo did not want to bear it.

Going that low was not her. At some point she had to grow up and accept the fact Sehun had left and had returned.

Hurriedly glancing at him, Namjoo mumbled, “So what’s with you coming back here? Your parents don’t even live in town anymore.”

“We stopped talking,” Sehun told. “I was really poor, you know. Maybe I embarked on a trip with a few thousand, but I didn’t plan on having a baby. What I had wasn’t enough. I had to learn to become an adult and a father with the money they leant me. I still haven’t managed to pay half of it back.”

Namjoo averted her eyes when Sehun glanced at her, realizing she’d been staring. He came off more pitiful than she wanted to admit.

“I miss home. I really enjoyed growing up here,” Sehun continued. “I want Seulbi to have the same.”

“Why would your parents stop talking to you just because you became a father?” Namjoo wondered. “Your mother doted on you like you were the only kid alive. She always fed you the steamed fishes before me.”

Breathing a laugh Sehun nudged her hard almost toppling her over. Namjoo pushed back, but he hardly budged. Not fair.

Scowling, Namjoo asked, “So?”

“Haewon used the money.” Sehun said.

“The ?” Namjoo raised her brows.

Sehun laughed a flustered sound. “You don’t have to go that hard.”

Namjoo scowled and stared ahead at Seulbi who was now chasing waves. Running forward as the water pulled back and screamed happily as it returned, lapping the shoreline.

She shouted surprised when Sehun ruffled her hair messing it up. Glaring at him bewildered she screamed, “Sehun!”

Palming the back of her head she felt several tangles. Sehun nervously smiled broadly. Briskly shuffling to his feet, he ran off. Namjoo screamed after him jumping to her feet. He wasn’t very far when she tackled and half leapt onto his back. Seulbi froze a quarter of the way and stared at them bug eyed. The wave came back weightlessly washing up her bare feet.

“Seulbi, help me catch your daddy!” Namjoo beckoned.

Her small oval mouth split into a delinquent grin. Running out of the water she naughtily jumped into Sehun’s arms, weighing him down till he dropped to his knees.

“Seulbi!” he cried out.

Removing herself Seulbi ran around to climb onto his back repeatedly slapping him. “Cawwy me! Cawwy me!”

“Ow! Seulbi!” Sehun gasped.

Standing aside Namjoo heehawed.

“Get her off,” Sehun twisted his neck to narrow his eyes at her.

Sticking her tongue out Namjoo pivoted to stalk off. Picking up the black bag they’d thrown their popsicle wrappings into, Namjoo headed toward the disposal area. Letting out a guttural sound when Seulbi’s tiny hand slapped the back of her head. Glancing behind her she saw no one. Wheeling around she spotted Sehun carrying Seulbi on his back racing several steps ahead; his daughter cheekily grinning and waving at her.

Namjoo glowered. The father daughter pair, when would she win against them?

※※※※※

“I said no.” Namjoo swiped her hand out, attempting to snatch the menu from him.

Dodging, Sehun leaned closer to Seulbi on his left. “What do you want to eat?”

“Mmm…” Seulbi roved curiously over the menu and pressed a finger at a picture. “This.”

“Ok.” Shifting back in his chair, Sehun beckoned for a waiter. “I’ll get the chicken nuggets with mac and cheese for my daughter and two grilled ham sandwiches.”

Namjoo was flatly eyeing him from across the table. They were already seated at a table on the porch outside of the beach house by the time she caught up. Surrendering, Namjoo sunk into the plastic white chair on the other side of Seulbi. The day was growing hotter. Though hidden at the corner of the house from the sun, he wanted Seulbi to dry up as best she could before they grabbed a cab home. He was definitely not carrying her all the way back. No way.

“Seriously?” Namjoo sulked.

“Hey, my daughter’s hungry.” Sehun stated. Softening, he glimpsed at her cartoon cut apron. Again, she hadn’t been given the time of day to remove it. Walking all the way here with him in that silly fashion.

“What?” Namjoo frowned. Tilting her head down to give herself a onceover. “Something on me?”

“Nothing.” He waved her off. “I’ll pay ok?”

Her frown deepened then vanished when the waiter returned. Setting Seulbi’s order in front of her, their matching circular plates in front of them. The cheese was oozing out the sides of their sandwiches. Melted to perfection as the ham was scorched the barest from the oven. They were the only ones at the beach house besides two other tiny groups. The atmosphere was lovely and quiet. Soft breeze coming, waters roaring, the hint of salt in the air tickling their senses. This was one of the best late afternoons he’d had since returning to Goseong.

“Yea,” Namjoo nodded satisfactorily, chewing hungrily on her sandwich, “you’re paying for this.”

Sehun scoffed. Turning to Seulbi he asked, “Do you like it?”

Holding a half-eaten piece of chicken nugget to , she quietly nodded. Smiling he took a huge bite out of his sandwich. Taking one more glance at Namjoo to find her doing the same. Butterflies fluttered chaotically inside his stomach, bumping into the walls of his organ. This side, that side.

Sehun accidentally bit on his tongue in the process, but forcibly covered it up by stuffing himself some more. Namjoo didn’t even notice. At least he would not look like a .

When Seulbi finished her meal, he paid and they headed toward the road. Sighting them an available cab pulled up for them.

“I’ll just grab another cab,” Namjoo suggested. “You guys go first.”

“Don’t be like that,” he tried. “We can carpool. It’ll save money.”

“I need to fetch my car at the school.” Namjoo reasoned. “We’re not even going in the same direction.”

“Then we’ll drop you off at school and reroute home.” Sehun simply countered.

“C’mon Miss Namjoo.” Seulbi stared up at her.

“See?” Sehun shrugged.

Scrolling down the passenger window, the cab driver leaned over, “Are you getting in?”

“Yes!” Sehun shouted back. Stepping forward he opened the rear door. Turning to Namjoo he asked, “Well?”

He noticed her sighing as she reluctantly stepped forward and slid inside. Seulbi went next then he. The entire way he and Seulbi shared an ear to ear smirk. Arriving at the school Namjoo eagerly shoved the door open.

Halfway out he said, “Seulbi will be at school tomorrow.”

“Bye Miss Namjoo.” Seulbi called out.

Namjoo gave her the barest smile. Fully sliding out she bid her last farewell before closing the door. Sehun turned around in his seat as the cab drove off, trying to get a last fleeting glimpse of her. Tasting the entire weight of yearning and longing. Feeling the afternoon had been cut too short.

Tilting her head back, Seulbi glanced at him. Giggling. “Daddy happy?”

Muffling a laugh, Sehun squeezed her. “You did well.”

Seulbi shrieked happily bubbling with laughter.

But he was the most joyful between them. Today, he and Namjoo had come to a truce. Sehun was ever more exhilarated.

“You want to run to the grocery store?” Sehun piped up when they left the cab.

Wide-eyed, Seulbi started jumping. “Yea!”

“Ok, kiddo!” Swiftly sweeping her into the air, Sehun raced with her inside. “Let’s get you changed first. We’re going to eat a lot of meat tonight.”

Seulbi was near hyper the moment they arrived at the grocery store. Seeming dazed at the sight of food and sweets. Sehun allowed her to choose a pack of candy of her choice as he went around the store. Cereal, sesame oil, grinded pepper, salt went into his cart along with other necessary meats. Arriving at the vegetable section he led Seulbi over to the greens. Debating what he wanted for tonight.

“Well, isn’t it Oh Sehun?” A high-pitched voice exclaimed.

Perking to attention Sehun looked right, left. Right again. Kwon Chaeri who had gone to the same university strode toward them with a basket hanging at her elbow. She was superbly slim still. Wearing clothes befitting her curvy shape that hugged her prominent female parts just right. Male passersby gawked at the sound of her heels. The only thing changed was perhaps the volume of makeup she donned.

“Oh…Chaeri.” Sehun greeted.

“Why, hello!” Chaeri leaned down to look at Seulbi who nervously froze in spot, hugging the bear shaped canister of candy to her tiny body. “Who is this?”

“It’s just aunt Chaeri,” Sehun comforted. “This is daddy’s friend. She’s my daughter.”

Seulbi shyly nodded a greeting.

“She’s adorable, Sehun.” Chaeri straightened. “Too cute to be one of yours. Seriously though?”

“Why are you doubting me?” Sehun bickered. “I have good DNA.”

She scoffed jokingly. “I heard you were back. Alone? Wife?” Her eyes dotted the area beside, behind, around him.

“We’re not together.” Sehun said.

“Oh…” Chaeri’s voice toned down. “Sorry.”

“It’s no big deal. We’ve been that way for a while,” Sehun explained. “You’re still in town?”

“Well…” her pitch went up then down again with a great deploring sigh speaking of disappointments, “yea…”

“Not married yet?” Sehun prodded. “Thought you would have settled down by now.”

“Why?” She suddenly sounded pumped up, offended.

“Then,” he decided to change direction, “not seeing anyone?”

Something in her expression transitioned. “No.”

“Well, there’s lots of time.” Sehun didn’t know what more to say.

“So, why are you back?” Chaeri wondered. “All of a sudden. We all thought you were gone for good.”

Subconsciously petting Seulbi’s head he said, “I missed home.”

Looking down he recalled every previous thought he’d had. The hope for a better life. To reunite with the peace he once had. Build a support base to guarantee Seulbi a safety net. Here she could enjoy growing up savoring the taste of the earth and nature. A freedom the cities were too clogged up to provide.

“That’s sentimental,” Chaeri commented. “I suppose becoming a father makes you think like that.”

Sehun mustered a smile. “I want to settle down here.”

“Seriously?” Chaeri raised her brows. “Here? In your hometown?”

“Yes,” he firmly answered. “I grew up here. It’s not a bad place. I always thought about it every single day that I was away.”

“Amazing. I guess you really did become a father.” Chaeri’s lips slanted into a grin.

“I missed you guys, too. Everyone included.” Sehun added. The old friend scoffed again. “I missed Namjoo the most.”

The grin on Chaeri’s face slowly disappeared. Until she was flatly staring at him with no light in her eyes.

“Don’t tell me that by settle down, you mean with her.” Her voice went raspy quiet.

“That’s what I meant.” Sehun verified.

Slightly turning she laughed exasperated, a sound stretching from irritation to dejection. Confused Sehun waited for her to collect herself.

Chaeri looked ticked off when she swung back around. “Why is everything about her these days? I’m sick of it.”

Sehun’s eyes went wide bewildered.

“Why does everyone want her now?” Disgruntled, Chaeri’s expression twisted. Turning on him, she demanded, “Why did you wait? You should’ve done it back then. Why did you wait like an idiot?”

“What are you talking about?” Sehun questioned, lost. “What do you mean everyone?”

Chaeri parted breathing a vexed sound. “You.” A beat passed. “That idiot she’s been secretly seeing when she knows I like him.”

Sehun felt his own jaw tense. Sensing, foreseeing the coming rush of scalding wind about to sour his beautiful day.

“Park,” Sehun rasped, “Chanyeol?”


***I managed to squeeze in a chapter before my work week. This really took 3 days to write, because I was not in the mood to do anything. But just in case anything comes up and I can't come back to this story I wanted to update. Now that they've made up, Chanyeol's spot in Namjoo's life is threatened & Sehun is threatened by Chanyeol's presence in her life. Haewon is out to get at Sehun and Chaeri is the ever unforgiving and jealous friend. We have a mix here that'll be fun soon. Have a good week everyone. I will see you 7/21