Could be Family

Wishes in Your Eyes

Father and daughter were still huddled in the corner backs to her after she finished washing dishes. A sense of suspicion vibrated from them. Namjoo didn’t trust one bit that they’ve learnt their lesson. Yet she was left no choice. Seulbi had begged from last night and she’d promised to play with her.

Drying her hands, she walked over extending her hand out. “Ok, Seulbi, let’s go play.”

Her boyfriend’s daughter reacted as fast as lightning. Brightening with a broad grin. Seulbi immediately dragged her toward her chest of toys, releasing her as she dropped onto both knees and dumped the entire container. Toys sprawled out on the floor in the dozen; a mix of dolls to blocks and ranger and cars. Namjoo’s eyes widened at the amount she had.

Blinking at her, Seulbi asked, “What you wanna play Miss Namjoo?”

“Oh…uh…” Namjoo was baffled. Before answering a blonde doll was toward her.

“Bella,” Seulbi introduced. “Daddy dress her. See?”

She showed off the mismatched blouse and skirt. Arching a brow Namjoo peered behind her to where Sehun had plopped down onto the couch to watch them. He shrugged.

“Ok. Bella.” Namjoo accepted the doll. Giggling happily Seulbi pulled out a plastic dog from the mess and began untangling the leash around its neck.

“We walk doggy,” Seulbi started.

Namjoo played along, toddling the doll next to the dog. Making up conversation with Seulbi about a fake stormy weather and then somehow, they moved onto stacking blocks to create a house for the dog, which Namjoo didn’t understand would work but did it anyway. She’d let Seulbi’s imagination run without imposing facts on her.

“And then we go shopping now, Miss Namjoo.” Seulbi eyed her.

“Ok, what store are we going to?” Namjoo asked.

“We go shopping.” Seulbi murmured tossing her collection of boys into the bin. Namjoo watched confused assuming they were doing play shopping. Jumping to her feet with the clap of hands, Seulbi yanked her by the arm. “Come on, Miss Namjoo!”

“Wha –” yelping surprised, Namjoo shot up to her feet so she wouldn’t be dragged. Seulbi moved faster than she anticipated. “Wait, Seulbi!”

They were already down the corridor heading straight for the bedroom. Seulbi didn’t release her grip till they arrived in the next-door bedroom where she’d spent the night with Sehun. Pulling a drawer out Seulbi pulled out some clothes.

“I wear this and this!” the daughter exclaimed.

Namjoo panted still trying to figure out what was going on.

“Well, are you going to help her?” A voice made her turn to find Sehun leaning against the threshold arms crossed.

“What are you…” Namjoo started then stopped. Breathing a huff, “Seriously. This is what you’re up to?”

Shrugging, he teased before walking away, “I’ll wait for you outside.”

“Se –” Namjoo began, but he already disappeared leaving her in the vicinity of his sneaky daughter. Seulbi’s eyes fluttered, waiting for her to help.

Sighing defeated, Namjoo took the clothes from Seulbi. Staring at the oddly coordinated clothes.

“Your daddy’s really bad at fashion,” Namjoo said searching through the dresser for something better. “Don’t let him embarrass you. Here, we’ll wear this instead.”

Helping Seulbi into a sleeveless blue top and white pants Namjoo led her down the hallway where Sehun was waiting by the front door.

“What happened to your clothes?” Sehun asked his daughter.

“Miss Namjoo said they bad,” Seulbi honestly replied.

When he eyed her accusingly, Namjoo retorted, “Your sense of judgment never fails me.”

He scoffed then asked Seulbi, “What is that about?”

His daughter shrugged while slipping into her shoes then scurried after Namjoo down the walkway toward the parking lot.

“I walk with you.” Seulbi told bumping into her side.

Catching up with them, Sehun stood on the other side of his daughter. “Stop trying to steal my daughter.”

Namjoo narrowed her eyes.

Unlocking his car, Sehun helped Seulbi into her booster seat in the back. As he buckled her in, Namjoo heard, “I want Miss Namjoo to sit with me.”

“She’s sitting with me up front.” Sehun stated.

“No!” Seulbi complained kicking her feet. “I want Miss Namjoo to sit with me! Miss Namjoo!”

“I said no.” Her dad scolded more firmly.

Namjoo spun around in her seat to smile at Seulbi. “Then, should I?”

At once Sehun’s glance flared. Just to get at him, Namjoo pushed the door open and entered the back.

“I’ll sit with you, Seulbi.” Namjoo widely smiled.

“Seriously?” he frowned unhappily, but Namjoo already zipped the seatbelt over her torso and shared a gleeful smile with his daughter.

Sehun literally grunted frustrated when he slid into the driver’s seat. In a half hour they arrived at the mall. Stopping first on the lower floor to browse at grocery. Seulbi laughed and giggled as she helped Sehun push the cart around. Running half around whenever they paused to look over snacks.

“So, we’ll have stir fry for lunch,” Sehun declared dropping ingredients into the cart. “What about dinner?”

“Dinner?” Namjoo asked.

“Of course,” he said matter of factly as if they’d already spoken about it. “You’re staying, so we need something to eat.”

“Oh no,” shaking her head, Namjoo excused, “I didn’t say I was staying.”

“I thought it was a silent agreement,” Sehun said. “Right Seulbi?”

His daughter who’d been tiptoeing to stare into the center aisle freezer turned to stare at them confused.

“See?” Sehun interjected.

“She didn’t say anything,” Namjoo countered.

“But you’re staying another night,” Sehun repeated and nudged Seulbi. “Right?”

“Yes!” Seulbi hurriedly nodded. “Miss Namjoo have bath with me and sleep with me and play with me tomorrow.”

Lost for words Namjoo merely half laughed. “Nuh-uh.”

“Please!” Seulbi begged.

A passing woman eyed them and Namjoo felt put on the spot. A part of her wondered if she came off like some uneager mom.

Taking her hand now, Seulbi pleaded, staring big-eyed at her. Slinking an arm lightly around her and the other pulling the cart, Sehun moved them out of the way of others.

“Come on, Seulbi.” He called.

“Seriously,” Namjoo hissed.

“I’ll buy you something to wear. Promise,” he whispered into her ear.

“You’re really annoying, you know?” Namjoo said.

“I love it.” he beamed.

They paid for grocery then rode the escalator to the upper floors where majority of the outlets were located. Strolling into a fashion store together, she left the cart to Sehun as his daughter wheeled her around happily. Across from the women’s clothes children’s wear hung off racks followed by a display of shoes. In the midst were mothers and children browsing. Namjoo couldn’t help staring.

Here was Sehun and his daughter. Some woman accompanying the father daughter pair, and she couldn’t help worrying if Seulbi felt like she was any different. Being raised by a single parent separated her from children who lived with both father and mother. At her age, did she realize this?

“What are you looking at?” Sehun followed her gaze.

Namjoo turned away to find Seulbi running through the racks of shirts, hiding between the clothes and laughing when she looked at them.

“Do you ever wonder if Seulbi wishes she was with her mother?” Namjoo quietly asked.

“But she has you.” Sehun said. 

“I’m not her mother, Sehun.” Namjoo reminded.

He grinned cheekily. “You could be.”

“What are you implying?” Namjoo frowned.

“Then take her.” Sehun shoved her forward. “Seulbi, want to go look at clothes with Miss Namjoo?”

His daughter halted and focused on her. Namjoo suddenly dreaded what was coming. Excited, Seulbi rushed toward her and grabbed her hand.

“We go, Miss Namjoo!” Seulbi ecstatically shouted.

“Wait!” Namjoo tried, but his daughter didn’t cease, as if the two had planned this whole trip through step by step.

Entering the children’s department Namjoo experienced a rush when other women curiously stared at her and Sehun’s hyper child. She did her best to awkwardly smile everything off.

“I like pink,” Seulbi stopped by hanging dresses. “It’s pretty!”

Namjoo looked over the selection. Realizing that despite working with children daily she really knew nothing about them; their clothes all the way down to their socks or their specific needs outside of the classroom.

She didn’t know what size Seulbi wore or what kind of shampoo and body wash she needed to use at her age. Whether she needed her hair styled everyday or if she even had to brush her teeth daily yet. Namjoo understood none of these.

And it occurred to her the things Chanyeol had spat into her face the other day. Truth was, she had been hurt and angry with him for spurring the facts into her face. It was what she had determinedly decided on. Not to have a family. Marry or fall in love. She had put herself at a distance, so she was never ready.

Now she truly felt it all the way down to her bones.

“I like this,” Seulbi pointed to a hanging dress.

Namjoo couldn’t do anything, but offer her most genuine smile.

Thankfully Sehun approached. “Did you decide yet?”

“Daddy, I buy this?” Seulbi jumped.

As if reading her troubled thoughts, Sehun went through the rack comfortably and unhooked one. Giving her a knowing glance as he handed it to his daughter.

Returning to his place Namjoo spent the afternoon watching cartoon with Seulbi while Sehun cooked. After eating they sat around the table coloring before boring and moved onto playing doctor where they each took turn playing sick. The hours waned with the pair. Horsing around till they tired and Sehun decided to put on a kids’ show for Seulbi. Heading into the kitchen Namjoo started on dinner. Garlic noodles tonight. Tomorrow morning, she would return home.

“Turn the vent on, you’re going to stink the whole house.” Sehun murmured coming up behind her to press the button above the stove. Relaxing into her he lightly kissed her temple.

Edging a shoulder into him, Namjoo said, “Stop, you’ll make your daughter uncomfortable.”

“She’s not watching.” Wrapping an arm securely around her he nuzzled into the crook of her neck. “You can’t stay the whole week?”

“I’m not.” She muttered.

“It’s not fair.” He complained.

“I think it’s fair enough that I’m staying longer than I intended.” Namjoo pointed out.

“You did it for Seulbi, not me.” he said.

“Same thing.”

“Let’s go on a date, Namjoo.” Sehun suggested. “Just you and me.”

“You’re going to leave Seulbi out?”

“I’ll find her a babysitter,” Sehun told.

“Who?”

“I’ll find one.” He sounded certain. Changing the topic, he said, “Are you done? Let me have a taste. I want to see how good you are.”

“Better than you.” Namjoo claimed. Grabbing a fork, she twirled the noodles and held it over her shoulder for him.

Sehun chewed for an unbelievably long time. “I could do better.” She scoffed. Letting go he turned around, “Seulbi, dinner’s ready. Come eat.”

Sliding off the couch his daughter darted into the kitchen and obediently pulled a chair at the table out. “I eat! I eat!”

“Here you go. Miss Namjoo made this just for you,” Sehun said sliding a plate toward her.

Seulbi gasped. “Thank you, Miss Namjoo!”

“You’re welcome.” Namjoo beamed satisfied when Sehun’s daughter took a greedy bite of her dish.

When Seulbi saw her bringing her plate to the table, she quickly said, “Miss Namjoo! Sit with me.”

“Ok.” Seulbi shook happily as she settled into the next seat. Namjoo lifted her head at the sound of a chair being dragged and noticed Sehun pulling a chair up on her other side. Rolling her eyes, she asked, “Seriously?”

“I’m going to sit by you, too.” Sehun claimed. Leaning over he said to Seulbi, “I’m not going to let you win.”

“Great.” Namjoo sighed defeated.

“Miss Namjoo,” Seulbi wittily said, “can you take a bath with me?”

“Seulbi!” Sehun rebutted.

“Please?” Seulbi asked.

Namjoo almost choked. Not sure whether Seulbi actually knew what she was boldly saying, because she was confident they hadn’t planned this argument.

“I don’t know Seulbi. Maybe your father should.” Namjoo said.

“Miss Namjoo will give you a bath,” Sehun told. “I don’t think she’s ready to bathe with you yet, Seulbi.”

Spinning around on her boyfriend, Namjoo’s eyes widened at his sentiment.

“What?” Sehun shrugged. “Just give her a bath. It’s not hard.”

“You’re her parent,” Namjoo whispered a hiss.

“And you’re her Miss Namjoo.” Sehun cunningly said. “There’s nothing wrong. You’re going to have to learn how to do it sooner versus later.” Leaning forward again, he said, “Right, Seulbi?” His daughter nodded as if she’d been listening.

She shouldn’t have stayed another night.

Sehun ushered her off after they finished eating. Going with her detail by detail in the bathroom how to wash Seulbi.

“Easy, right?” he asked.

Namjoo traced her attention over the tear free shampoo and baby wash Seulbi still used. Not very confident she could do this well.

“You’ll be fine.” He pecked her cheek. “Seulbi really likes you.”

She said nothing when he left and Seulbi toddled into the bathroom leaving the door wide open in the case should she need Sehun. Again, Namjoo thought she had never been prepared to try raising a kid or deal with one outside of the classroom. Turning the water on and checking the temperature she helped Seulbi out of her clothes. She shuddered under the shower water and hopped from foot to foot squealing. Taking a deep breath, Namjoo went to work.

By the time Namjoo showered and changed she dropped into bed exhausted. Sehun hadn’t changed the sheets in Seulbi’s room, so his daughter had joined them in bed. At this point Namjoo majorly assumed it was all their ploy to stick her in the middle.

“I sleep by Miss Namjoo,” Seulbi insisted when Sehun turned the lights off.

“Fine.” Sehun gave up when his daughter crawled onto her side of the bed. In fact, Namjoo really had been squeezed in between the pair, as if she was stuck there forever.

In the middle of the night when Sehun flipped onto his side and slipped an arm around her, he asked, “Asleep?”

“Almost.” She murmured eyes shut.

Snuggling closely into her, he asked, “Is Seulbi?”

Sehun’s daughter was curled into Namjoo and hugging her bunny. “She is.”

“You did a good job,” Sehun applauded kissing her behind the ear. “Seulbi was really happy today.”

“You think?” Namjoo gently traced her fingers through Seulbi’s shoulder length hair.

“I know.” He said. “I love you more than she does though.”

“Shut up,” Namjoo said.

He chuckled, his warm breath beating her cheek. “She’s my only competition. I won’t let her win.”

“That’s stupid.” Namjoo mumbled, but she smiled anyway before falling asleep holding Seulbi and in Sehun’s arms.


***she will never win xD