Death of Flowers

Wishes in Your Eyes

After filling up on their desserts, they carpooled back to the school. Sehun stepped with her outside, “Daddy will be right back, Seulbi.”

“But I want go with you.” Seulbi pouted.

“Ok, come on.” He extended a hand for her. To the cab driver, “We’ll be right back, sir.”

Accompanying her into the school Seulbi hurried over to play with an abandoned block of toys. At the back of the room where they could keep a watchful eye on her, Namjoo slipped out of her apron.

“You didn’t need to come with me.” Hooking the apron onto the hook she felt the brush of his hand.

“Those the flowers?” Sehun’s attention passed over her shoulder. He scoffed, “What a waste of money.”

“You just despise him so much, don’t you?” Namjoo asked.

“With all my heart,” Sehun replied. “Throw them away.”

“I said fine.” Namjoo repeated firmly.

Swiftly glancing in Seulbi’s direction to make sure she wasn’t paying attention he stepped closer. Namjoo tensed uneasily at the heat of his body.

“How about you not go home?” Sehun asked skimming her lips with his mouth. “I miss you.”

“Don’t be overdramatic.”

Sliding back, he murmured, “You’re so cold.”

It was she who glanced at Seulbi this time. Tiptoeing to kiss his ear, she whispered, “I’ll come this weekend.”

Already grinning when she landed on her heels, Namjoo’s heart thumped. “Really?”

“Do you take me for a liar?” Namjoo asked.

Pecking her cheek, he said, “No, but now I can’t wait.”

Rolling her eyes, she stepped away to retrieve her purse. Hesitating before picking up the flowers. Sehun’s distasteful stare landed immediately on the roses.

“The security guard will lock up soon, we should go.” Namjoo informed.

“All right, Seulbi. Let’s go home.” Sehun beckoned her away from the toys. Obediently toddling after him, she grabbed his hand.

“We go home now?” Seulbi asked.

“Yes.”

They bid farewell outside again, but not without gesturing he’d call her later. Getting into her car she drove home. Regretfully staring at the too beautiful flowers. What a waste it’d be to just throw them away, especially the delicate pot it came in. There was most likely a dent in Chanyeol’s bank account now.

He was such an idiot.

Deciding to make a detour Namjoo headed straight for Chanyeol’s apartment. In the end zooming past the building cutting her eyes toward the second landing where his flat was. Uncertain she wanted to do it this way, so she sped down the street home.

Talk with him another time she presumed. She just started dating Sehun, she should be focusing on them firsthand. Why add Chanyeol into the picture? He wasn’t the worst of her worries.

Swerving into the parking lot designated for her vehicle, Namjoo carried out the flowers. Stopping at the bottom of the staircase at the sight of the shadow in front of her door. Didn’t take very long to recognize who.

The steel staircase rattled underneath her feet as she rushed up. “I told you not to come here!”

Chanyeol cocked an entertained grin. “So, you got it. You like it?”

“I said –” she continued adamantly.

Cutting her off, Chanyeol said, “Yes, yes. I’m not supposed to be here, but,” a shrug, “I couldn’t help it. I wanted to see you.”

Slightly turning aside Namjoo struggled not to go off on him. Chanyeol never took her word for word. Assuming she could never blow up.

“I heard you weren’t at work yesterday.” Chanyeol continued. “You sick?”

Swatting his hand away, she irritably said, “No.”

Studying her, he gestured, “You going inside?”

Biting her lower lip, Namjoo wanted to kick him out. Since it was like this it was now or never.

“Fine.” Huffing, she unlocked the door and waited.

“Ladies first.” He said.

Grunting deep within , Namjoo stepped inside. Following her in Chanyeol peered around curiously.

“I’m not offering you water because you’re leaving pretty soon.” Namjoo said finding a spot for the flowers on the table.

“Really?” Chanyeol asked. “Why is that?”

“Look, I know why you’re here,” Namjoo sighed from the other side of the wall partition.

“You’re going to reject me?” Chanyeol stepped up to the cut in the wall. “You’re rushing. Why?”

“Because I’m already seeing someone.” Namjoo laid it out flatly.

Chanyeol’s eyes glazed over her. Purely staring. Unmoving. Flummoxed Namjoo tried calculating her next move.

Breathlessly scoffing, Chanyeol didn’t believe her. “You, who repeatedly says, she doesn’t believe in relationships? You who is so adamantly against commitment, in love? Do you know what you sound like? A joke.”

Anger spurred through her that he was talking down on her. “Get out.”

“For as long as you’ve known him is also as long as I’ve known you, Namjoo. If you look around, maybe open your eyes some more, perhaps, you’d know I was here, too.” Agony s along his furrowed brows grating his eyes with sadness. “There was really no reason you kept coming back to me? None at all?”

Namjoo offered nothing.

“As much as you’ve endured without him,” Chanyeol piqued, “that hurts me the same, Namjoo.”

Trying not to feel or think anything, Namjoo trained her eyes on the wall partition.

As the doorknob rattled and Chanyeol’s melancholic eyes cut to the flowers, he resentfully said, “Throw it away.”

The door clicked open. The door clicked close. Signaling Chanyeol’s leave.

At last, shame engulfed her.

※※※※※

“Guess what?” Comfortably propped up in bed, pillow at his back, Sehun folded an arm behind his head.

“What?” Namjoo’s voice stirred his senses.

Night had fallen. Soon another day would begin. The new phase of their relationship would continue to deepen.

“I’m alone.” She giggled. He giggled. Sighing followed. “I’m so frustrated you’re not here with me. You honestly don’t want to come tonight?”

“I work tomorrow.” She seriously reminded for the nth time.

“I hate you.”

“Mmm…” He could taste the smile on her face. See her laying in bed. Was curious what her bed looked like; if it would fit the two of them curled up together. Or was it big enough that he could stretch out all his limbs?

“Tired? Should I hang up?” Sehun wondered.

“I’m not that tired.”

“Really?” Doubting her, he pried, “You sound like it.”

“Of course not.” She denied.

Smirking, he played, “Maybe if you come, I could bump up your energy level.”

“Seriously, Sehun?”

“We’ll just cuddle, promise.”

“Sure.”

“I mean it.”

He heard her laugh, amused. An hour more of talking and Namjoo fell asleep. Sehun continued mumbling drowsily before drifting off, too. His phone was dead when he woke up in the morning. Thankfully, he had another alarm. Seulbi.

“Daddy!” She screeched racing into his room, climbed onto the bed, and jumped around. “Wake up! Wake up!”

“I’m awake.” He grumbled, curling up, sliding his arm further under his pillow, and closed his eyes.

Finally making it to the stove he started his pot of coffee and rushed on breakfast. Breezing back to his phone. At 5% charge. Annoying. Full of desire to call Namjoo. Question what time she’d waken. Interested in her morning schedule, what she did after waking up, if she’d dreamt about him last night. Anything at all. Sehun really wanted to talk to her, hear her voice.

Seulbi stared at him inquiringly when he set down a half-assedly cooked egg in front of her.

“Sorry, that’s daddy’s.” He apologized switching the plates.

Stirring up her scrambled eggs and rice, she worried, “Daddy ok?”

“Yes, daddy’s ok.” Sehun smiled. “Eat up. We’re running late.”

“Why?”

“Because.”

“Why?”

Changing the course of topic, he asked, “Do you like sleeping by yourself?”

Seulbi rummaged through her head for an answer. Sehun nervously waited. Pleading for her to say what he most wanted to hear, so that this weekend he could sleep alone and wait for Namjoo to come. He was desperate for time privately with her. After waiting so long, Sehun really wanted to lay beside her. Like a man and a woman. Together.

Bobbing her head, she grinned. “Yes!”

Sighing relieved, he reached over to ruffle her hair. “That’s my girl.”

He waited out the day. Impatiently watching the clock tick. Leaving work right on the dot. Drove to the bus stop and anxiously waited for his daughter and girlfriend. Enthusiastically waving his arms at the sight of them. God, he loved them so much!

“Daddy!” Seulbi raced toward him.

Wrapping his arms around her he waited for Namjoo’s approach. “I waited all day for you.”

Placidly raising her brow, she asked, “I’m sure you did.”

Bumping her arm, he whined, “You could at least sound excited.”

Teasing him Namjoo shrugged.

“I really despise you.” He muttered.

Mocking him with a grin, Namjoo said, “I love that you do.”

Seulbi cooed at them. Cheekily giggling when they glanced at her.

Bursting with a laugh, Namjoo hit his arm. “Look what you did. Your daughter’s making fun of us.”

Pulling her down the street, Sehun said, “Good, it’s what you deserve.”

That weekend when Namjoo finally rang the doorbell he held a finger to his lips. The house was quiet. Down the hallway Seulbi was asleep in her room. He’d showered, shaved, brushed his teeth, changed the sheets, prepared everything. Gone through his list checking each box perfecting everything.

Locking the door as if afraid to be caught sneaking around by a parent, he took her hand and led her to his room. Namjoo frowned, but scoffed and grinned the entire way.

“So?” he asked once the door shut and dropped his arms.

Glancing around, Namjoo took in his most private room. “It’s boring.”

“I cleaned!” he exclaimed in a whisper.

“Well, I’m sure you have to. Can’t have a mess with Seulbi around, right?” Namjoo asked.

“It doesn’t smell nice?” Sehun shook his head, waiting for her impression.

“Oh.” Noticing, Namjoo sniffed. Nodding approvingly. “You sprayed air freshener. Lavender and peach blossom?”

Stepping toward the bed he threw over the blanket. “I hate that you’re specific.”

Namjoo laughed as he patted the area beside him. “Are you nervous or something?”

Laying down he shifted closer. “I’d be an idiot since we already did it.”

Namjoo cackled loudly. Covering just as fast. “Sorry.”

He just grinned happily. “I’m so happy that I’m jittery.”

“I don’t think we’ve had a sleepover before.” Namjoo reminisced staring at his ceiling.

“No. Times were inconvenient.” Sehun recalled the situation her parents had been in. “My dad wouldn’t have liked it. You’re a girl after all. And I think your dad would have hunted me down.”

Namjoo burst out laughing again.

“What?” he asked. “I’m serious.”

“He doesn’t care.” Namjoo said.

“Actually,” he softened, “I think he does, Namjoo.”

She glanced at him with the corner of growing, disbelieving. “You don’t know him like I do, Sehun.”

He thought about the last time he’d sat down with her old man. Coming out dejected at the mention of marriage. One look at Namjoo and he thought how he always waited for her to knock on his door. Come needing the comfort of him.

“I always waited,” he nostalgically started. “My bedroom window faced your house.”

“I remember that.” She nodded.

“I watched your house every night,” Sehun admitted.

“Ok, now that makes you sound like a creep.” Namjoo’s brow furrowed.

His laughter amplified. Turning to face her, he said, “So I could see when you left your house and know when I had to be up.”

“Creep.” Namjoo snickered.

Wrapping an arm around her waist, he edged closer. “Fine, I’m a creep, but creep still got you to come to his house in the middle of the night again.”

Namjoo’s legs curled up when his fingers tickled her. Catching her knee between his legs he kissed her lower lip, pausing their abrupt moment of glee. Passion welted at the lock of their eyes stirring the tension. Locking mouths, he pressed his hip into her. Blood rushing south at the speed of lightning.

Gasping, he clutched onto her shirt. “I don’t want to wait anymore.”

The same want glowed in the depths of her irises. Desperately kissing like it was the first and the last Namjoo’s hand swept down to the hem of his bottom. Where he was hard and needing. Their bodies colluded and moved into each other, synchronizing.

He touched her , gliding his hand down to her belly, down to cup her , urge her closer to feel her.

Tonight was it.

Tonight was going to be better than the first.

His urgent hand started drawing her sweats down. His heart drummed in his ears, pounded erratically in his chest. Anticipating what waited for him. Five, ten minutes was all he needed until dawn.

Then the doorknob twisted and the door creaked open. Next came the voice squeaking, “Daddy?”


*** xPPPPP