Soon

Wishes in Your Eyes

※※※※※

Shoving Namjoo behind him with his shoulder, Chanyeol stood like a wall in front of Haewon.

“I wouldn’t try that again if I were you,” he cautioned. “You’ll make two men mad.”

Taking him as a joke Haewon scoffed. “You again?” She coyly glanced at Namjoo then back to him. “Something going on between you two?”

The corners of her lips curved up in a conniving manner. Impishly smirking she backtracked and slid back inside her car. The entire time she wickedly stared them down then sped off with tires screeching.

Firmly pressing his lips together, Chanyeol turned to look at Namjoo who shoved past him and continued walking. Sighing, he followed her.

The only good thing about living in his crummy apartment was that he wasn’t a distance away from Namjoo. Coincidentally he’d been on a walk and caught her hurrying out of her apartment.

“She say something to you?” Chanyeol pestered.

“No.”

He needn’t worry. After all, it wasn’t like she had chosen him. Still, his eyes darted in the direction of her injured cheek.

“It hurt?”

Namjoo stopped so abruptly he almost crashed into her. When she spun around, he nearly backed up afraid she was angry. Instead Namjoo asked, “Want to grab a beer?”

So, they settled onto some available tables outside the convenience store. A bag of goods sat on the table. For Chaeri she explained while handing him a can and popped hers open. She gasped after a gulp, satisfied. Chanyeol spun his can around while waiting.

“I heard you were with him this weekend.” Chanyeol quietly murmured. He was jealous. Knowing definitely, she had a good time. Whatever it was she’d done with Sehun and his daughter.

“Chanyeol,” Namjoo solemnly called, and for the first time with that tone he didn’t know how to feel. “What do you think about marriage?”

“Well,” he uncertainly started off, “I’m not sure.”

“Right?” she asked as if he had just affirmed her restlessness. “It doesn’t seem that important, does it?”

His eyes slid across the tabletop. Curious why he was the so-called witness to this demeanor tonight. Usually they just took it to his apartment. Done and that. Supposing she couldn’t have this type of conversation with Sehun also made him feel important.

But really, he didn’t want to talk about this with her.

“Marriage is a life-long commitment, Namjoo.” Chanyeol said, and he wouldn’t remind her it was something she was constantly uneasy about. He didn’t want her despising him.

“It gets rid of temptation and loneliness, and gives you a companion to support you through thick and thin. Yaddy-yadda. I know all that.” Namjoo waved the sentiment off, as if he’d already lectured her. “That’s no different than putting two names on a piece of paper and claiming death do us part. If you’re already together, shouldn’t that be enough?”

“You’re not wrong,” he agreed. “Marriage is just like making a promise to love each other for as long as it lasts and then it’s over the second love ceases. That makes a loveless marriage, and everything that started it meaningless. Human emotions are uncontrollable, and love is one of them. It goes back and forth, it disappears. Then it’s better to forgo it.”

“I thought that, too.” She soberly said.

“But Namjoo,” Chanyeol went on, “it’s not that love ends and marriage isn’t always like that. If you made the decision to be together that’s also making a promise. Marriage is making a public statement. That’s all it is.”

Her lids fluttered and she looked at him. This time, Chanyeol couldn’t help offering a comforting smile.

“I just realized,” he cheerfully leaned back, “if I wanted a union, I would work really hard for it. I would invest all the time and effort possible to make us last. Whatever she wants, I’d support her all the time. I think that’s what it is. Considering each other’s feelings, refraining from being reckless. Committing to make a relationship work.

“Talking about that, there are many types of relationships, right? Like you and Chaeri. Arguing and making up; trying to make it last, because you share a bond that’s important. And…” he had to pause, hesitant, continuing, “like you and him. Coming back together, because neither of you could let go.”

Night was starting to fall when Chanyeol quietly walked back with Namjoo in the direction of her apartment. The only noise was the rustling plastic bag she was carrying. Truly he felt somewhat empty. Sad and melancholic, but on the bright side he had helped her.

That made him feel worthy. Perhaps Namjoo didn’t dislike him so much. He wondered if she’d really thrown his flowers away.

Must have. There was no reason for her to hold onto them. She already had a hand to cling onto. In what kind of light could she see him anyway? He wasn’t Oh Sehun. He was just someone in the background. Never to be noticed.

“Namjoo,” he stopped several steps behind her. When she turned and the round moon shone behind her she really did look like she’d fly away. “Between us, there was no commitment, right?”

He saw the movement of her lips pressing together. Chanyeol nearly prayed for her to give him what he wished.

Next came the solid answer. “No.”

He literally swallowed everything rising in his throat. Not to let the sheen in his eyes come through as he said, “I see. Then, good night.”

Sitting alone on the beach that night, Chanyeol laughed at his foolish self. A part of him had hoped.

Throwing himself onto the sand, he stared up at the glittering night sky. He was a loser.

※※※※※

Turning her face sideways Namjoo lightly trailed a hand over her cheek. It was sore from Haewon’s slap. At least it wasn’t reddening or bruised.

She didn’t understand what the woman had against her. Namjoo didn’t recall doing anything wrong. Did Haewon still have feelings for Sehun? Should she be worried?

“I’m leaving first.” Chaeri poked her head into the bathroom. Dressed already for her job at the bank.

“Have a good day.” Namjoo called after her.

Heaving a sigh, she gave herself a once over. Grabbing her purse, she exited the apartment. On the way to work she hoped Sehun wasn’t too upset with her. He hadn’t called last night. She had waited while watching a sitcom with Chaeri. Sipping on their drinks and snacking on the selected chips she’d bought.

Maybe he had things to think about. Namjoo didn’t know what, but she prayed that was the case.

She had been most surprised by the mention of marriage. They had just started dating. It probably made no difference since they’d known each other their whole lifetimes. Yet she thought he would have waited on that thought.

She was only discovering the mounting responsibilities dating him came with. Including Seulbi in their activities was not difficult. The sole fact that Namjoo was never personally involved with a child was new to her. It would take time adjusting, but Seulbi wasn’t a difficult child. For that Namjoo was insanely lucky.

But Sehun and marriage. She could still hear his voice telling her he wanted her to be his wife ran rounds in her head. Since when had he started thinking that far out? Spending a future with her. Even Namjoo hadn’t imagined it despite his promise to marry her. Someday she had assumed, but not so fast.

Did he worry because she was getting older now? Or was it for Seulbi, who needed a mother?

The questions were endless.

At the end of the day Sehun was waiting at the bus stop standing a breadth away from the group of chatting mothers. Namjoo glanced at him first before getting called away by a mother worrying about how her ill child had been at school. Once she soothed her concerns and helped the children off the bus, she finally confronted her own problem.

“Daddy!” Seulbi jumped happily remaining with Namjoo.

“Hi, kiddo.” Sehun greeted his daughter with a pat on the head. Looking at her almost somberly, he quietly asked, “Long day?”

“Same as always.” Namjoo curtly replied silently wondering why it felt like there was a wall between them. Did she have to be guilty for saying no to marriage?

“Any plans later?” Sehun asked. “If not, want to come over for a while?”

Sehun started on dinner preparations. Namjoo went to the couch, dragged by Seulbi. She didn’t argue, but peered into the kitchen where her boyfriend seemed to have drifted while his daughter her tablet.

He wasn’t speaking much to her. Did their argument that weekend weigh over him so much?

“Miss Namjoo, here,” Seulbi tapped her arm for attention. Sehun’s daughter wanted to play a game with her. Namjoo obliged.

Actually, being with Seulbi wasn’t hard. Her years of being around children with all sorts of personalities had readied her for anything unexpected. Or maybe it was the fact that Seulbi was not her own daughter that made this different.

Then it probably was. Having her own children was something she stopped planning. Namjoo had given up on it when she couldn’t find love. Tired of waiting for it to sneak up on her. Now the thought of it made her queasy.

Seulbi was everything lovely because she was not her own, and Sehun had raised her so well. Namjoo could accept that, but having her own was on a scale too great for her to reach.

When they sat down to eat dinner, Sehun didn’t fight to sit beside her. He let Seulbi steal the chair while he ate across from his daughter. Namjoo finally thought, that was it.

Sehun wanted to start a family. Give Seulbi a sibling. Provide her the benefit of a darling family. The perfect image of a dad and mom. Forget the perfect picket fence and brick home as long as they could reside together harmoniously.

That was his biggest wish.

Only she was a stubborn person that didn’t want any of it. Think of that. How ironic it was now between them.

“Don’t worry about the dishes.” Sehun said when she finished eating. Scooting his chair back, he asked, “Seulbi, are you ready? Let’s go take a bath.”

“I’ll wash her,” Namjoo offered.

Surprise lit his eyes. Seulbi exclaimed joy.

“Come on Miss Namjoo!” Happily taking her hand she attempted to pull her down the hall.

Namjoo took it easy this time. Playing with and teasing Seulbi as she washed her. Seulbi shrieked and accidentally choked on water. Then Namjoo dried her off and helped her pick out her pajamas for the evening.

“I show you!” Seulbi continued pulling her toward the bed. “Look! Daddy buy me!”

Patting the bed, Seulbi proudly showed off her Frozen bed sheet and matching pillow case.

“Olaf my favorite,” Seulbi cutely beamed.

“Is he?” Namjoo asked. “Then, who’s your daddy’s favorite.”

“Daddy don’t know.” Seulbi shrugged.

“I see,” Namjoo sympathized. “Then he is very bad, huh?”

Seulbi giggled. “Miss Namjoo stay?”

“Not tonight.”

“Tomorrow?” her eyes went innocently big.

“Not tomorrow either.” Namjoo said.

“When?”

“Soon. Maybe.”

“Promise?”

Breathing a laugh Namjoo patted her head. When she left Seulbi’s room and returned to the kitchen Sehun was sitting at the table. The dishes had been cleared, washed, and put away.

“She’s asleep?” he turned upon her approach.

“She’s on her tablet.”

He clicked his tongue disapproving. “She’s not supposed to.”

“Let her,” she said. Pulling out the chair beside him she sat facing him. “Are you angry?”

“She knows she’s not supposed to be on her tablet.”

“I mean at me.” Namjoo corrected.

Sehun jot his eyes to her. “No.”

“Really?” Doubting him, she pointed out, “You haven’t really said anything to me.”

“Nothing.” He lied.

“Sehun,” Namjoo urged, “let’s not do this.”

At this he partially narrowed his eyes. Finally dropping the bomb. “I don’t get why you don’t want to get married. Don’t you want to be with me? Haven’t we already gone in too many circles? How much longer are you going to wait?”

“Of course, I’d like it, but you’re going too fast. Seulbi doesn’t even know me and it doesn’t matter how much she likes me. She has to be ready, too, Sehun. Maybe I could change my mind later, but I still don’t want to settle down with you yet. We have other things to consider, like your ex, your parents, mine.” Namjoo explained. “Don’t you think?”

“But you’d marry me?” Sehun asked.

Namjoo almost wanted to throw her head back. Tell him he hadn’t heard her, but realized it was probably just what he needed to hear.

From the when he first returned, they had dawdled. Never talking it through, but Sehun had tried communicating with her. He still was.

“I said someday, maybe.” Namjoo reminded.

“Just say yes,” Sehun prompted.

“Fine.” She huffed.

“Yes.” He urged.

Rolling her eyes, Namjoo mumbled, “Yes.”

Grabbing her hand, he pulled her forward to sit on his leg. Cupping her jaw, he pulled her down for a kiss.

“Don’t take it back.” he warned.

“You’re so desperate.” She stared into his starry eyes.

“But you’ll marry me,” Sehun victoriously stated, “soon.”

“I never said soon.” Namjoo said.

“Fine,” he muttered, “but you will.” Then he added sneakily, “Soon.”

His warm breath landed on her chin when he laughed before kissing her again. Slowly then more passionately. Pulling her close until she wrapped her arms around him.

※※※※※

“So, what do you think?” Sehun asked.

“I like!” Seulbi gleefully exclaimed beside him.

Her crayons were spread out among the coffee table. White printer paper lying scattered all around. They were spending the morning coloring. Waiting for Namjoo to pick up grocery before coming over to eat with them.

Sehun had just drawn a house. Sharp, pointy grass at the bottom. The classic round yellow sun in the corner, hovering over the family below. A brown dog with four stick legs floated above the grass next to a big red house. A good drawing he was proud of. He was going to tell Namjoo to take it later and think of the family they could have in the future.

He was going to do everything to win her over.

“Seulbi,” Sehun changed his sitting position because crossing his legs now hurt, “who do you think these people are?”

“Mm…” she tapped her chin thoughtfully. Pointing at his animated characters one by one, “Daddy! Me!”

Sehun waited expectantly. “Yes, and who else?”

His daughter blinked. Thinking hard. Cocking her head then peering at him. “I don’t know.”

“Then,” he averted tactic, “who do you want this to be?”

Seulbi continued blinking. Her eyes went up, down, sideways, and landed back on him. “Miss Namjoo.”

Widely grinning he ruffled her hair. “That’s right!” and received her boisterous laughter.

“I like Miss Namjoo.” Seulbi drew her shoulders up cheerfully.

“Me, too, but you can’t like her more than me.” Sehun playfully said. “Seulbi.” He pointed at the other child he’d drawn. “Who do you think this is?”

Seulbi eyed the other child. At him questionably.

“Do you want a brother? A sister?” Sehun asked.

Gasping, Seulbi plastered her tiny hands over her oval mouth. Shaking with glee she shrieked, “I have sistah!”

Sehun laughed enthralled. “Seulbi,” he called calming down, “how do you feel about Miss Namjoo becoming your mommy?”

Seulbi sat quietly, absorbing his words. “Mommy?”

Shifting to face her, he patiently explained, “You know mommy’s not always around for you. And sometimes, we’re scared of her.” He her hair affectionately. “What if Miss Namjoo can become your mommy? I know she will love you so, so, so much.”

Right before Seulbi answered his doorbell chimed. Assuming it was Namjoo he got up to open the door not for his girlfriend, but someone he didn’t recognize.

“Your mail, sir.” A yellow envelope stamped with open immediately was handed to him. Then the man nodded before leaving and Sehun closed the door.

An ominous feeling trickled over him. Usually he got his mail on his own in the afternoons. No one personally sent him parcels. Peeling open the envelope Sehun pulled out a court mandate, ordering him to hand over Seulbi to her rightful guardian.


***My heart aches for Chanyeol I almost cried for him ;;;;;;; And now, Haewon is out to screw them over. Sometimes there are people that just wants to screw things over for others