There is a Place

Wishes in Your Eyes

※※※※※

Chanyeol debated a call. He had lain in bed, staring at the door. Curious whether Namjoo would make one of her unprecedented visits or not. She had been irregularly visiting this week. She may as well keep up her streak.

She didn’t.

He woke up alone, brushed his teeth in front of the computer while going through e-mails, catching up with his boss while drinking coffee and accidentally spilling it. Missing his laptop by a half inch. That was why, he chided himself, he should have just gotten a desktop office with two monitors. Life would be so much easier.

Sadly, a laptop was as affordable as it could get right now. With rising taxes and bills to pay, he’d rather be saving than spending right now. So, he sat on his for a whole eight hours before shutting the computer off, slid down from his stool, and stretched. Listening to his back crack painfully. A price to pay for being so tall and sitting hunched over his counter to stare into a blinding screen.

Grunting, Chanyeol rubbed his back stepping around the counter. He hadn’t bothered with the blinds. He never did. A part of his lazy bachelor nature.

“God, change the curtain or at least open them.” Namjoo had complained on numerous occasions. He never did just to feel like winning. He liked teasing and getting on her nerves. It came naturally he was discovering.

Like today when he spotted her walking down the opposite street. Unusually. Around this time Namjoo should be on the bus with the children, dropping them off at the stop sign. He wondered if she had cut work today. How unlike her.

He going north, she coming south. Offering him a total view of the morose expression on her face. Seemed like today she was free from the inferno that had been burning in her previously. Did that mean she and Sehun had made up?

Chanyeol bit his lower lip. As promised, Namjoo didn’t acknowledge him in public. Just kept strolling. At a slow, evenly pace. Her long, slender legs soon bringing her pass him.

A peek into the road and it was quiet. Just one car quite a few yards away. Not yet near enough to run him dangerously over. Chanyeol crossed the street toward her. Catching, finally, the movement of Namjoo’s eyes sliding in his direction then quickly focusing ahead. Pretending. Seeing it brought a coy smile onto his lips. So, she had noticed him too.

Shifting to walk alongside her, he tucked hands into his jeans. “Leave work early?”

“I have a headache. Go away.” she mumbled quietly.

“I have something that can help you.” He playfully leaned forward to peek into her face meeting with a gross, irritated sneer.

“I said go away.” Namjoo repeated more sharply underneath her breath.

Chanyeol breathed another smile. “Why? You’re worried someone will assume we’re a couple?”

He received a frigid frown. “Exactly, so go your way.”

“I don’t want to.” Chanyeol stubbornly held his head high. “Let’s walk together,” he leaned forward into her face again, “Namjoo.”

She glared. Shuffling to get ahead of him. Chanyeol laughed highly amused. He easily caught up to her. Namjoo sidestepped away. He stepped into her space until she had nowhere else to go but forwards or backwards.

“I thought you might come last night,” he said. “Was kind of disappointed you didn’t.”

Her brows knotted together. Said nothing.

Straightening, he asked, “Where are you going?”

The tree lined road was easing off, opening up to the grander central street where the markets popped up in neat buildings. Each structure sectioned off by a thin alleyway. A traffic of people littered the sidewalks. Men and women carrying their own reusable bags filled with grocery. All mindful of environmental waste after a campaign several years ago. The mayor had dragged a platform into the middle of the street, speaking into a horn, giving a popular speech about thinking green, and now everyone was. Seeing that Namjoo didn’t bring one meant she would pay for her own plastic bag at the counter.

“What a coincidence. I need to restock my fridge, too.” Chanyeol mused turning the corner with her.

Ignoring him Namjoo moved ahead. He just scoffed at her attempt to disregard him. Since her destination was near and walking away would be a waste of time, he kept behind her anyway. She grabbed a green basket by the doorway and went around, dropping fruits and vegetables into it.

Empty handed he followed her down an aisle. Watching humored as she stretched an arm up toward the top shelf to grab a 6-pack of boxed juice. Coming behind her, he reached up. Easily grabbing the selected item for her. Namjoo’s head turned brushing his shoulder and she hissed at him.

Chanyeol cheekily grinned. Pinned, Namjoo wheeled around bumping her head into the edge of a shelf.

He laughed and rubbed her head. “You ok?”

Namjoo irritably whacked his hand away. “I told you to go away.”

Bending down till their noses almost touched he enunciated, “I don’t want to.”

Namjoo’s expression contorted. Squeezing his shirt into her fist she shoved him away.

“Keep doing that and we might have to go back to my place.” He teased.

This time, she hit him across the chest. Rubbing the wounded area, he playfully pretended to be hurt. Namjoo’s face was still tightly drawn as she glared.

“Cheer up,” he tapped her under the chin. “I’m just joking with you. Don’t look so angry. It makes me feel bad.”

The tense frown lessened just a tiny bit.

“Namjoo?” A female voice made them turn. Chanyeol swiveled around to find a woman in a modest dress pushing a cart, staring curiously. “So it was you.”

“Oh…Miss Park.” Namjoo nodded, alert. She no longer looked aggravated. Suddenly beaming with calmness.

“I heard you weren’t feeling well. Are you ok? We were worried.” This Miss Park’s voice was too soft Chanyeol’s ears twitched.

“Better,” Namjoo broadly smiled.

Miss Park’s gaze flickered to him curiously, but she grinned as if aware what was up. Chanyeol smiled, all he could do.

“Well, then. I hope you have a good weekend.” The woman nodded before strolling past. Namjoo’s smile eroded as soon as the woman turned her back on them, and just as quickly she walked off into the opposite direction.

Chanyeol let her go, wondering why she could never look at him the way she did everyone else. Smiling big and all so pretty. Even if it was an act.

※※※※※

Anticipation fluttered through Sehun as he watched out for the bus quickly arriving. Eager to see Seulbi and also Namjoo. He didn’t want her to always be angry that he had returned.

They had always been closer than anyone, hadn’t they? Sehun just believed she would understand him in time coming. He wanted to go back to their special place of belonging. Where it was just them, a duo against the world.

If no one was, it was Namjoo who was always on his side. She was always his best.

Stretching his neck to look forward, Sehun eyed the door opening. A woman stepped out in a similar cartoon cut apron. But the apron was not yellow. It was a beige with two moon-eyed cats at the front. Her hair in a traditional braid ending at her mid-back. Not Namjoo.

Sehun knew Namjoo’s figure. This was not Namjoo. When the woman turned to greet a mother approaching Sehun’s feelings were confirmed.

Not Namjoo.

Where was she?

His eyes sought the bus, but only a flood of children hopped out.

“Daddy! Daddy!” Seulbi raced toward him, arms open.

“Hey,” he greeted giving her a hug, but his eyes still floated toward the bus. As if it was some trick. Namjoo would step out, say she was kidding.

No one.

Seulbi tugged on his hand. He wrapped his fingers around her small hand and started the trek home.

“What did you do today?” Sehun asked.

“Color,” Seulbi exclaimed. “Made gween dino.”

“Did you? Where is it?”

Seulbi’s eyes slid up, processing an answer.

“Did you leave it at school?”

“Uh!” She nodded.

“That’s ok. Next time bring it home. Daddy will put it on the fridge.” He told.

Seulbi nodded. “Daddy.”

“Hmm?”

“Miss Namjoo no anger.” She mumbled.

“What?” he glanced down at her.

Looking at him, his daughter repeated, “Seulbi tell Miss Namjoo no anger daddy.”

Sehun gave it a moment to mentally think it through. Beaming with a smile, he asked, “Did you?”

His daughter nodded. “Daddy no be hurt. I sad.”

He laughed happily. “Daddy’s not hurt.” He patted her head feeling all the love in the world. Times like these he believed he was the luckiest man alive. Seulbi who made him feel like he had everything in the world.

Sweetly grinning, Seulbi clutched onto his hand tighter. Skipping now as they neared the apartment. She stopped short of him. Her eyes planted on just exactly where Sehun’s attention was.

At the doorway where Namjoo awkwardly stood, clutching a store bag in front of her. Trying not to meet his eyes, staring off somewhere to the side. If he didn’t know any better, he would think she looked embarrassed.

The mere thought showered a smile onto his face. Holding Seulbi’s hand he moved toward the door, toward Namjoo.

Stopping as he approached, he transferred his hand to Seulbi’s back. “Say hello to Miss Namjoo. She’s your daddy’s best friend.”

Namjoo shifted as if the words had scorched her.

“Hullo Miss Namjoo.” Seulbi obediently greeted shyly.

“Good job.” Sehun praised. Taking out his keys, he said, “Why don’t you come in?”

“I just brought some juice.” Namjoo handed him the bag.

Opening the door, Sehun reiterated, “Come in.”

He waited on the doorstep with Seulbi staring up at her teacher. More so blocking her escape path. Her grip squeezed the bag.

“I’m not staying long.” Namjoo bargained.

Firmly smiling, he said, “That’s fine.”

Pivoting on a heel, Namjoo went inside. He turned to meet his daughter’s curious stare and grinned cunningly. At his heels, Seulbi impatiently tiptoed to peek into the grocery bag wondering what kind of juice Namjoo had bought.

“Looks like it’s all apple juice,” Sehun boringly said. “Sorry, Seulbi. Your favorite grape isn’t here.”

“It’s what they drink at the school,” Namjoo defensively cut in.

Seulbi nodded timidly to confirm the truth.

“Do you want one?” Sehun asked. His daughter eagerly bobbed her head. Sehun tore out a box and handed it to Seulbi, saying, “Ask your Miss Namjoo to poke in the straw for you.”

“What?” Namjoo frowned her hands together. “Why?”

Seulbi stared at him, lingering. Sehun gestured his chin in the direction of Namjoo standing with a foot in the open living room, the other in the corridor leading to the beds and bath.

Eager to have a drink and no choice, Seulbi shuffled over to Namjoo. Pausing in front of her. Holding out the juice box she waited for help.

“Open.” Seulbi’s voice was barely audible.

“Please.” Sehun said.

“Pwease.” Seulbi added.

Namjoo’s brows twitched ever slightly. Sehun knew she was accustomed to the demands of children. Being around them five days of the week she had known before he about how boisterous and needy they were.

Something trivial like this was natural for her. Sehun waited until Namjoo took the juice box from Seulbi. Removing the plastic wrapped straw glued to it she whammed it with a swift movement into her palm, freeing the straw. Inserting it into the box she handed the juice to Seulbi.

“What do you say?” Sehun asked when Seulbi excitedly put the straw in .

Peeking up at Namjoo, straw still in , she mumbled, “Thank yee.”

Before he might interrupt her Seulbi scurried into the living room immediately making herself comfortable on the sofa. She peeked at him once then away, as if to affirm he would leave her alone now.

“Stay for dinner.” He started. When she made a show of looking at her watch, he said, “It’s a Friday, where do you have to go?”

“I like to rest when I can.”

“Do it tomorrow.” Sehun suggested. “You can relax here, too.”

“I’m more comfortable at my own place.” Namjoo excused.

“Since when do you do anything?” Sehun wondered.

He knew her. She never did anything after work. Unless she was meeting him, she returned home immediately. Requiring time to recharge and be alone. Take up the entire couch in her flannel pajamas and too large shirt. A bowl of popcorn tucked into her arm while she flipped through the channels bored, but needing some entertainment until it hit o’clock and she’d need to sleep for tomorrow.

That was Namjoo.

He just wanted to spend some time with her. Sit down. Talk. Go back to that familiar space of theirs. The private zone that allowed them to just become no ones instead of somebodies society wanted to make of them. Act like giggly teens? Heehaw over a joke, a fart, something.

This was them. Sehun didn’t want her to be all weird around him, because he’d suddenly reappeared after four years. Couldn’t they be friends again?

“Are you avoiding me?” Sehun asked.

The way her eyes kind of drifted toward him stopping halfway kind of said yes. Namjoo looked guilty as hell. Standing slumped, unmoving. Awkward as a stranger. Like she was meeting him for the first time.

“Namjoo…” he tried.

She turned, as if the noise of her name made her ears hurt. “I just don’t know what to say. You were gone for a long time, you know. It’s not like you just packed up yesterday and said you were sick of being here.”

“I never said I was sick of being here.” He retorted. Very quickly glancing into the living room, overly conscious about his daughter’s presence. If she sensed the tension in his voice she might start crying.

Noticing, too, Namjoo in a breath to calm herself. “Just forget it.” Her arm rose midway then flapped down, slapping her thigh. Bitterly saying, “Welcome home, Sehun.”

Three steps and he caught her arm before she reached the door. “I’m sorry.” And he meant everything about it. “Stay for dinner, ok?” He pleaded, “Please.”

Don’t go.

Don’t go.

Don’t go.

Shrugging her shoulder, she shook him off. “I’m leaving after five.”

Breathing a quaint smile, Sehun sighed relieved. “Ok.”


***he introduced her not just as anyone but as my best friend the Miss heh

***and yet again Namjoo is still standing like half a room away from him