Fulfilling Wishes

Wishes in Your Eyes

※※※※※

Namjoo was a little more beautiful each passing day. Sehun loved looking at her for no reason at all. At how she moved through his kitchen to the next room to sit with Seulbi on the floor going through her toys with her. Waking up randomly and staring at Namjoo sleeping unbothered. Pull her into his arms and kiss her with heat at the end of the day, beckoning her into his bed where they neither worried about birth control nor protection anymore.

They were unworried these days. Freedom reigned over their skies as if they were young children again.

Namjoo was glowing so wondrously even if she’d woken up groggy and crabby. Enamored, he drew a finger across her temple brushing her loose hair away from her face.

“Stop.” She swatted his hand away.

“Why are you making a sandwich when we already ate?” Sehun asked. Seeing her cut it in half he asked, “Can I have a piece?”

Lifting the plate Namjoo took a humongous bite as she walked away, calling, “Seulbi, do you want to eat with me?”

“Yes!” Leaping up from where she was sitting staring at the television screen, Seulbi hobbled to Namjoo.

Sehun rolled his eyes annoyed when neither girl looked at him. As if he wasn’t there at all they sank into the couch together.

Late afternoon he watched Namjoo in the doorway as she prepared to go out. Mumbling, “You have to put makeup on? You’re just seeing him for half an hour.” He proceeded to nag, “Take off the lipstick, will you? You’re just going to smear it on the food you’re going to eat. You’re going to eat poison.”

Namjoo glared at him through the mirror. “You should actually be thankful Chanyeol helped the police find Seulbi.” Snagging her purse off the bed, she said as she passed, “Shake his hand when you see him and be nice.”

Sehun huffed complaining as he whirled around to follow her down the hallway. “It makes me jealous. Do you really have to see him?”

Ignoring him, Namjoo slipped into her shoes at the door.

“Come on, Seulbi.” He called following her. Namjoo was already down the sidewalk without waiting for him. Most likely irritated because he’d whined all morning. Closing the door, he shouted after her, “You better remind him that you’re my person now!”

“Daddy stop yelling.” Seulbi stared up at him. “You make Miss Namjoo sad.”

“Don’t be on her side, Seulbi.” Sehun took her hand. “Miss Namjoo is the bad person today.”

Seulbi drew her brows together confused.

Namjoo really didn’t say anything at all to him down the road. Approaching the diner where he was dropping her off, he reminded, “Five-thirty sharp I’m picking you up. No later. Remember.”

Fuming, Namjoo pushed the door and left the car.

Hissing, he unbuckled his seatbelt. “Seulbi, wait here.”

Just a yard away Chanyeol’s tall figure waited in front of the door. He sighted them immediately. Sehun really wished to wipe off the too happy grin on his pretty face.

“You didn’t have to wait outside.” Namjoo’s face lit up with a smile. Sehun grew petty because she hadn’t once smiled at him the entire way here.

Turning she glanced at him with warning. Forcefully putting on a face, Sehun extended his hand. “I heard your post online helped the police find my daughter. Thanks.”

Chanyeol accepted his handshake. “Welcome.”

Sehun sadly watched Namjoo disappear inside the restaurant with Chanyeol through the rearview mirror when he got back into the car and sped away.

“Who that?” Seulbi wondered.

“Miss Namjoo’s friend,” Sehun answered. “The uncle that helped you come home.”

“I want say hi!” Seulbi exclaimed.

Breathing a smile, Sehun said with no promise, “Maybe next time.”

“Where we going, daddy?” Seulbi stared out the window curiously.

“To see your mommy.” He received silence. Taking a quick peek into the back he asked, “Don’t want to see her?”

“Daddy,” Seulbi squeaked.

“Yes, Seulbi?”

“I don’t miss mommy.” Seulbi’s focus remained out the window. “I want stay with daddy foreva and eva and eva and eva.”

Smiling, he asked, “And Miss Namjoo?”

“Yes!” she excitedly screamed. “I like Miss Namjoo!”

“Seulbi,” Sehun started, “what about a little baby?”

She turned to stare at the front. “But I baby.”

“Of course, you are, but what if we have another baby?” Sehun asked.

“Can I have sistah?” Seulbi innocently questioned. He chuckled under his breath happy. After some driving, he pulled off to the side at a bus stop.

“Stay here.” Sehun stated. Stepping out he locked the doors and climbed onto the curb. On a bench available for waiting patrons he recognized Haewon’s hunched figure. A gold suitcase in a sparkly sheen sat at her feet. He offered nothing as he paused nearby.

“You don’t have to say it.” Haewon muttered.

“Don’t ever come back here.” Sehun said. “Seulbi and I are happier without you.”

She half-heartedly scoffed. “You put me through this ordeal and nothing I did was ever good enough.” Her eyes glazed angrily.

“That’s right.” he met her stare with the same intensity of anger. “You did nothing. So, Haewon, go on your way and leave us behind. If, maybe, you tried just a bit we wouldn’t have to experience this. We could have been a family, but you lost my daughter and proved yourself careless again and again. You’re just not fit to be a mother and Seulbi deserves better than what you can provide.”

“Where’s my daughter?” Haewon glanced up at him. “I want to see her.”

“She doesn’t want to see you.” Sehun said. He slightly turned at the hiss of the bus pulling over. Digging into his pocket, he handed over a wad of money. “Take it and let’s not see each other again.”

Haewon heatedly glared at him through narrowed eyes. Vehemently snatching the money, she shoved past and boarded the bus. He listened to her heels stab the steps and clatter across the floor, fading as she disappeared inside. Once the door shut releasing a loud gasp declaring Haewon gone for good, Sehun turned to witness the bus rolling away.

“Want to go eat ice cream?” Sehun asked when he returned to the car. “Let’s eat something without Miss Namjoo.”

Seulbi giggled gleefully. Starting the engine Sehun drove away from the bus stop. An hour later he picked Namjoo up from the diner and they drove home together.

※※※※※

“So, what did you two talk about?” Sehun crawled onto the bed and plopped down next to Namjoo.

“Work, life; the boring things.” Namjoo answered spreading lotion on her legs.

“That’s it?” he pressed. Sighing, he grabbed her leg onto his lap shifting her to face him. “Look at me, will you?”

Leaning back on her hands to remain sitting, Namjoo asked, “What do you want?”

Taking over the task of rubbing the lotion across her leg he noted, “You look bloated these days. You didn’t have noodles, did you? He’s such a cheapskate. He should’ve bought you steak at least.”

“In fact, we had pasta and seafood.” Namjoo told.

“The expensive stuff?” Sehun frowned disbelief. “I hate him.”

She rolled her eyes. “Where did you take Seulbi earlier?”

“Sent Haewon off faraway for good.” Sehun sheepishly grinned. Leaning over he peered into her face, “Sayonara to her.”

“You’re always so mean to her.” Namjoo commented.

“She deserves my atrociousness.” Sehun declared. Setting her leg down he dropped onto his pillow with a smack. “Let’s get some rest. We have places to go tomorrow.”

“I just want to relax.” Namjoo mumbled laying down beside him. “I work Monday.”

“I do, too.” Sehun reminded, his tone diva-like. “Do you think I stay home all day and do nothing, but wait for you to come home?”

Scoffing she reached over to hit his chest. “Shut up.”

Laughing he got up to turn off the lights. After eating breakfast next morning Sehun drove them across the coastal highway. High waters splashed against granite boulders hurling memories through her.

“We’re not going where I think we’re going?” Namjoo asked.

“Maybe we’re going where you think we’re going.” Sehun riddled. The urge to smack him flashed through her.

“I don’t want to see him, Sehun.” Namjoo grumbled.

“I want to. Let’s just go visit him quick then I want to take you somewhere good.”

“You’ve already ruined my day.” Namjoo thumped her forehead into the window.

“Oh, come on.” Sehun mulled.

Parking at the base of the street she waited as he let Seulbi out from the back. She dragged her feet as he took her hand and led her up the street. Seulbi, oblivious to her flurrying emotions, skipped on the other side of Sehun.

Outside the metal door Namjoo huffed and puffed with head turned to the side, like a daughter throwing a tantrum. Next came the deep heehaw, “Sehun! And oh! Seulbi, hello!” A moment of silence as her father peered the next person over, “Namjoo.”

Narrowing her eyes Namjoo let Sehun speak. “Can we come in?”

“Oh yes, certainly.” Widening the door her father invited them inside. It smelled the moment Namjoo stepped inside the house. For a while she hadn’t visited. Pissed off from their last meeting she hadn’t wanted to come back. If not for Sehun she wouldn’t know how her father was even living. Turns out, everything was still the same and nothing changed. His house was disgusting and littered.

Awkwardly laughing her father excused himself as they wound their way through the maze of emptied soda bottles and beer cans that flies buzzed around. Namjoo was embarrassed. Humiliated! This was her father!

She wanted to back out, run away with Sehun and Seulbi the moment they stepped into the living room. Her father’s wear was still draped over the back of the couch in the dozens. The curtain not even opened to let fresh light in. The room was pitted in darkness gloomily.

“Sorry, sorry.” Her father brushed past, gathered the first pile of his clothes, and did nothing but stack them onto the next in order to make space for them. Squeezing to the side he shoved the curtain open, barely.

Namjoo didn’t budge an inch. Sehun kindly pushed Seulbi forward. Namjoo refused to step inside, but Sehun pulled her arm forcing her into the room.

“Can I get you anything to drink?” her father wiped his probably greasy hands against his already greasy jeans.

“No.” Namjoo spat.

Sehun shot her a stare. Turning to her father with a smile, “Water would be nice. Seulbi, you want anything?”

His daughter hesitantly stared up at him.

“He probably only has water,” Namjoo cut in.

“I’ll see what I have.” Her father hurried away.

Wearily sighing, Namjoo hissed at Sehun, “What are we doing here?!”

He tugged her down onto the sofa. The cushion was so flat she felt the springs dig into her . Namjoo shifted uncomfortably and felt sorry for Seulbi. Her father returned shuffling into the room, placing glasses of water in front of them. Namjoo made no movement to drink unsure the cups were even clean.

“So,” her father sat down adjacent to them. Clasping his hands together unsurely, glancing from her to Sehun to Seulbi. “Is something going on?”

“I’m going to marry Namjoo.” Sehun blurted.

Namjoo’s eyes rounded at the unexpected. She turned to demand an answer from him, but her father shot to his feet surprising her.

“I already said no.” Her father grounded his reply.

“I’m not asking this time. I’m going to do it.” Sehun determinedly pushed on. “Please allow me to. I promise I’ll always be good to her.”

Clamping her eyes shut, Namjoo failed to repress a sigh. She massaged her temples with a hand, abruptly raising her head when her father crossed the space with a rolled newspaper.

“I said no! Why I ought to!” he shouted charged at Sehun.

Rising to her feet Namjoo slid to her left blocking Sehun. “Dad, are you crazy?!”

“Step away, Namjoo!” her father warned, arm raised. “I didn’t raise you to be with a divorced man!”

He pushed her aside and attempted to swat Sehun with the newspaper again. Running in to block again Namjoo screamed, “Dad, I’m pregnant! Don’t hit him!”

A moment of shock split the air minus Seulbi’s shocked shriek. Big tears dripped down her face from the scare of the attack.

“Really?” Sehun leaned forward to peek into her face.

Her father’s armed hand dropped to his side. His eyes went blank. Namjoo panted, relieved he’d stopped the madness.

Plopping onto the edge of the table, he sat slumped. “I should have split you two up long ago.”

“Why do you care?” Namjoo asked angry her father was throwing a seizing fit of disappointment when he never seemed to give a damn about her. “This has nothing to do with you, dad!”

“At least I didn’t want you to taint your future.” Her father stared up at her morosely. “You deserve better than a man who has already started his life. Don’t you get it, Namjoo?”

“You’re just incredible,” Namjoo huffed disbelief. “I get to choose the life I live. This is not your choice to make, do you get it?!”

“I’m still your dad!” her father’s grip on the newspaper trembled. “I’m your dad, Namjoo. I get to have a say.”

“No, you don’t.” Namjoo’s brows furrowed. “You never looked after me even once. I never got a warm meal from you. Not once.” And it hurt thinking of her mother who had left. “If I’m your daughter, why am I looking after you like I gave birth to you?! That’s not right, dad! Look at your house!” she flung her arm out. “You live in a landfill!”

“Namjoo.” Sehun touched her arm. Tenderly saying, “That’s enough.”

Seething, Namjoo fired a last glare at her father before pivoting to walk out. Seulbi was sniffing on their way out, gripping tightly onto her father’s hand. She had made it much farther down the street leaving Sehun to catch up.

“Hey,” he apologized, “I’m sorry.”

“Forget it.” Namjoo didn’t want to look at him.

Sehun sighed, but he grabbed her hand despite her fit. Sighing irate she let him sway her around in the opposite direction of the car.

“Cheer up,” he urged. “I promise the next place is going to be good.”

Giving him an eyeful, Namjoo muttered, “Seriously, Sehun.”

“I’m serious.” He still had the audacity to grin gallantly even after dragging her to her father’s.

Around the corner Namjoo’s eyes roved up the familiar church. Once more she sighed very heavily. Church service had ended, so the parking lot was empty this early afternoon. Everyone gone home or out for a nice lunch with their loved ones.

“What are we doing here?” Namjoo allowed him to pull her inside.

The eagerness shone on his face when he glanced behind him. The grin on his face was too broad spelling mischief. Namjoo didn’t trust him. She went with him down the aisle closer to the stage with the podium.

Finally facing her he gripped her hand. Gently smiling with all the endearment possible. Glancing at Seulbi. To her. “Marry me, Namjoo.”

Her tightly woven nerves loosened a notch. Every particle that made up her body melted slowly.

“Let’s start a life together. Become Seulbi’s mom,” Sehun smiled harder, “and my wife. We can have just one baby, I promise. I already know everything, so I’ll teach you step by step. I’ll help you with the baby, look after the house, and I’ll be the best dad, and you the best mom. We’ll have the best life together.” He made sure to touch Seulbi’s head. “And the best kids.”

Namjoo glanced down at Seulbi relaxed against Sehun. She couldn’t help feel the smile spread across her lips. She raised her head as Sehun lifted Seulbi into his arms, so they were all standing at the same level. His daughter giggled shyly.

“You answer me.” Sehun prodded. “Will you marry me?”

Breathing air Namjoo happily smiled and glanced at her feet then to Seulbi. At Sehun, “You’re such a loser.”

“Just say yes.” He grinned.

“Ok. Yes.” Namjoo laughed.

Cupping her face, Sehun gave her a kiss then pecked his daughter. Kissing her again, he asked, “Are you really pregnant though?”

“I feel sick and ugly bloated.” Namjoo told.

Pressing a hand at her back he pulled her closer, hugging her. “We’ll find out together.” Glancing at Seulbi, he said, “Right, Seulbi?”

Embarrassed she leaned into him to hide. Namjoo slid her arm around Seulbi and held onto Sehun, too. Sharing the joy as she peeked into Seulbi’s face, giggling herself.


***And he brought her back to the church she always eyed <333 

***Anyway, I wasn't sure what I intended about Namjoo's father here. Maybe he's on the road to making everything up to her, but also failing to complete his dues in the process. I noticed a parallel between Namjoo's father and Haewon; that they're failures to be parents. There are some people who just aren't mom or dad material, because they put themselves first. Perhaps there will be a chance in the future for Namjoo and her father to come to terms and make up, but for now that will be left open ended. And I suppose, that's why earlier on Namjoo also saw herself in Seulbi.

***Finale next chapter :DDD