changes & questions

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyewon wouldn’t notice it if she wasn’t as observant as she is, but she was used to listening and watching – noticing every little detail, the slight changes that people do hope that it will be left unnoticed. Subtle enough for it to be brushed off but not enough for those who tend to observe.

That’s why she noticed it immediately and at first, she brushed it off as something small – maybe Minju was just exhausted, maybe the dinner with her parents didn’t go well and she just needed time. But it didn’t come, the younger girl never talked to her about it.

But what made her restless is how Minju was changing – it wouldn’t noticeable, but they live in the same apartment and it is bound to be seen. For someone who has spent the majority of her life watching everything unfold, listening to every change in a piece – the slight change in pace and everything, Hyewon likes to think that it can also be used to people.

She knows that she’s good at picking up other people’s speech patterns, given that she was more of a listener than a talker. If someone doesn’t look at her while they are talking, their voice is her only clue to grasping what emotions they’re expressing through their words.

For one, she could pick up when a person is frustrated probably because it is the most obvious one. Frustration meant quicker words; every syllable has an intonation – a bite to show that they’re controlling everything. A warning of some sorts.

Anger is similar to it but much deeper, throatier than expected – every word would be whole, not strains will be heard. Hands shaking as the anger runs deep, like an animal growling during a fight or sometimes a hissing snake.

Happiness and joy were harder to pick up compared to the two, but that’s what she became accustomed to when she started living with Minju. Though she didn’t hear words spoke with those tones very often when she was still in Japan, it changed when she set foot in Korea.

They would be warm colors, happiness and joy feel lighter compared to others – something that a hug would feel like.

And that’s what she noticed because she has been hearing the same tone over and over again for the last few months that it took her by surprise to hear the slight change on Minju.

Minju doesn’t show it very much often, a control on her actions that Hyewon knows came from the way she grew up – after all, Hyewon lived in the same kind of society. But she knows the hardest thing to control is their voice, that why she noticed it almost immediately.

The younger girl’s voice default was soft, it wasn’t bright nor bubbly but it was soft – as if she has everything together. There would be times that Hyewon would feel her happiness through the way her words lilt at the end of every syllable, the way how Minju prolongs some words because of the smile forming on her face.

Sometimes her voice would be calm, it could be compared to the sound of the quiet pitter-patter of rain when a storm is about to end – the sound that’s refreshing to hear and you want to sleep on. When Hyewon hears that tone, she knows that Minju is tired – that’s what she mostly heard last night.

There would be instances that she would hear her sharp voice, not in an unkind way. It’s sharp in a way that is meant to direct, not cut – she always hears it when Minju is on the phone on what probably seems about work. She became familiar with it because it’s the same as her father’s, but at the same time entirely different.

A month living with Minju, Hyewon already noticed how the younger girl conveys everything through her voice – it changes with the day, with the topic, with the person she’s talking to, or the person she’s talking about.

Minju says Wonyoung’s name with a tone so tender, that a person would be blind not to see how much she cares for her cousin. Chaewon’s name like they are long-time friends that haven’t seen each other for years, it shows just how much Minju cherishes her friendship with the girl.

But Minju was careful when she’s with Sakura and the others at first but in the end, she managed to warm up. Now, she says their name softly – something that indicates that they would have a long-lasting friendship just like with Chaewon.

Lastly, Minju says her name quietly – carefully, as if savoring every syllable, every sound. Quiet enough just for them to hear, the sound full of love and adoration – careful enough that it wouldn’t scare Hyewon away.

So, when the younger girl called her name the morning after, it made her pause from cooking.

“…Hyewon.”

She said it carefully just like before, but that was just it.

“What?” Hyewon asked turning away from the stove, hoping that she would see Minju’s reaction – maybe it would give her something.

“I think I need to go to the office today, some work that’s needed to be done,” Minju said quietly, and right before Hyewon could see her face, she turns around and goes to the shower.

The older girl looks at the now empty space where Minju was once standing, shaking her head – brushing it off to the stress that Minju might be feeling with the sudden work she needs to do.

But it’s already been 2 days, two straight days since Minju started working that Hyewon started to worry. She wouldn’t be worried because it’s just the usual Minju who likes to work, to be ahead of everything – but that’s not the case. That’s not the case when little to no words are being exchanged between them.

“Are you okay?” Hyewon asked the first time Minju stayed in their apartment since the last two days – the two of them just on the couch as they watch something that Hyewon can only careless. But it’s like there’s a change in the way they are spending time together.

The way that small distance between them feels so huge for her, there’s just something wrong and Minju wasn’t telling anything to her.

“Hmm,” Minju hummed, completely avoiding Hyewon’s eyes. “Yeah, just work stressing me out.”

And that was it, there’s nothing more to it. Hyewon tries to catch Minju’s eyes, staring at the latter hard but it’s like she won’t break anytime.

“What happened with your dinner?” Hyewon decided to question, feeling that something happened big enough for Minju to act like this. “It’s obviously not just work Minju, there’s something more to it.”

And when Minju turns to look at her, it made her feel something – her heart just clenched at the sight of the younger girl, that she didn’t even hesitate to hug Minju. It’s like something is brewing inside the younger girl, and Hyewon is not aware of it – because as much as she hates it, Minju is good at hiding it.

“What is it?” Hyewon whispered to the younger girl, “Tell me, we’re in this together. Right?”

Minju looks at the older girl, lips quivering as she opens to say something but decided against it, opting to just hug Hyewon closer. She doesn’t know how to say it to Hyewon, how it would affect them – Minju’s hands are tied.

“You know I love you very much, please give me time.”

Hyewon sighs and tries to ask one last time, “What’s your problem? It’s affecting you and you’re hurting.”

Minju looks at her, clenching her jaw at how much she feels disappointed at herself – clearly seeing the pain and frustration on Hyewon’s face. The latter’s pleading eyes staring straight at her, and it was already at the tip of Minju’s tongue. An apology so big that it would ruin everything, but it was not the right time.

But that’s something she needs to know because she doesn’t know when’s the right time.

“Trust me, I’ll be okay.” She said quietly, “We’ll be okay.”

Hyewon looks down, deciding to just hold Minju’s hand and intertwined their fingers – deciding to trust her words. Prodding any further won’t give her anything if Minju’s really adamant not to say something. “I hope you’re going to be okay, I’m here.”

And Minju looks down at their intertwined hands, the way Hyewon is carefully drawing random patterns on the back of her hand just like she usually does. Minju couldn’t help but smile sadly, giving it a light squeeze before looking at Hyewon.

One thought in mind that she doesn’t want to know the answer to.

Until when?

 

/

 

Everything then went back to normal after their talk, it’s like they got their usual rhythm again – the silence between them not as heavy as before, it’s the one that they always had. The kind of silence where you can sleep through with a light heart, the kind of silence that makes one feel safe.

For the meantime.

That’s why when Minju asked her to go out for New Year, technically the 31st – Hyewon agreed to it, thinking that it has been long since they managed to go out of their own. Which is why she found herself at Yena’s apartment with the others – deciding to spend time with them as Minju is working in her office.

“She’s working?” Sakura asks, confused at what she heard – even the others are looking at Hyewon, not believing at she just said.

She just hummed in reply, “Yeah, she’s been working for the past 3 to 4 days I think.”

Yena stared at Hyewon, “She’s working…” She trailed off and looks at Yujin, and it seems like the latter knows what Yena is implying.

“On a New Year’s Eve.”

Hyewon sighed and sat up, Eunbi was there as well – just listening to her, not questioning her. The older girl smiling at her understandingly, but she could see the concern swimming in her eyes.

“Even Chaewon isn’t working, and she’s her assistant,” Yuri mentioned, remembering the last message she read from Chaewon saying that she’ll spend time with her family.

Chaeyeon felt alarmed, things are just not adding up – even with how casual Hyewon said it, they could all hear in her voice that there’s just something wrong. “What happened when you went out with your parents?” She asked.

“And when Minju did too?” Yujin followed, clicking her tongue as she feels frustrated that Wonyoung was not there at that moment.

Hyewon knows that something is wrong, she just feels it – it was painfully obvious when you know someone like the back of your hand. And the fact that she feels like Minju is hiding it from her, it makes her think that the younger girl needs time.

But she has an idea – an inkling of what’s the real reason why Minju is acting like that.

“My parents want me to break up with her,” Hyewon said quietly, she hasn’t said it to anyone not even Minju – but here she is saying it to them. Because she feels that it’s what causing Minju to act this way.

“Specifically, my father.”

Eunbi frowns, not clearly understanding why Hyewon’s father doing this to her – controlling her as if they didn’t leave her when she needed them the most. “Of course, you won’t do it.”

“That, or I go back to Japan.” Hyewon gulps and it made everyone stopped, staring at her with wide eyes. The silence too deafening that even she feels uncomfortable under it. “But I won’t do it, to hell with it.”

And Sakura knows where this is going, “And you think that…”

Hyewon nods her head, “I think he threatened her, just like how he usually does.”

Yena groaned out loud, feeling stressed for a relationship that wasn’t even hers to begin with – because why does Hyewon must have a ty father? She deserves the best in this world but why are they playing with her as if she’s an experiment.

“I say this with my utmost respect,” She said loudly and stared hard at Hyewon, “but him. Go live your life, Kwangbae.”

“Ditto.” Everyone said all at the same time which made Hyewon laugh, she couldn’t blame them – even she feels frustrated with her father. She just needs Minju to talk to her about it, open up whatever is eating her inside – and she hopes that it will be that night.

 

//

 

Hyewon and Minju are walking together hand in hand as they roam around the streets, deciding to just enjoy the cold breeze as they stroll around. It’s probably the most relaxed that Minju has ever been for the past few days – something that Hyewon hoped for, and it makes her smile.

It was the way how Minju says her name again – how Hyewon felt the tenderness back, the way the younger girl calls her name fondly when she laughs. Most people would say that something just bursts inside them when they feel this kind of fondness, but for Hyewon – she feels it going through her, spreading like wildfire, slowly and warmly.

Looking at their hands, there’s just tingling sensation to it – to walk and hold Minju’s hand with this new kind of understanding of her emotions. It feels like she’s screaming without actually screaming, telling to everyone that what they are for each other.

So, as they are walking around, entering from store to store – mostly just looking because nothing caught their attention, Hyewon just feels free. The meeting with her parents all forgotten, not bothering her any longer because how could her father say that to Minju?

Hyewon knows that what they have won’t be easy, she already realized that but for Minju to hurt her purposely?

She’s pretty sure that’s the last thing the younger girl would do to her, she just trusts Minju that much.

“You’re awfully quiet.” Minju points out as they are waiting for the stop light to cross the street, the bustling of other people – mostly families and couples beside them.

The older girl shakes her head, stepping closer to Minju – not because she was cold but because she just wants to feel her presence. “I’m just enjoying what we’re doing.”

“We’re just walking Hyewon.” Minju said fondly at the older girl, looking up at the stop light.

“Yeah, with you.” Hyewon replied, as if it was the simplest thing in the world – as if walking with Minju is a chance that never should be pass on and just the way she just said it. How quiet it was, the way Hyewon said it as if she was breathless – and Minju heard it as if they weren’t in a bustling street.

And just like that, everyone started walking thankfully Minju is still in her right mind as she tugged Hyewon forward, following the flow of all the people. That’s when they realized that there are too much people outside already, looking at the time they realized it will almost be New Year.

Few minutes before the start of another year, Hyewon quickened her pace with Minju matching her steps. Seeing that everyone was crowding a specific spot, mostly to see the fireworks – Hyewon pulled Minju to opposite way, hoping to find a secluded spot.

The thing is, they didn’t actually plan out anything for this it was an impulsive thing for the both of them and it seems like a great idea as well. Luckily for her, she found a perfect spot – just a little bit from a distance of the crowd but still a perfect place to watch the fireworks.

Lights from the still hanged up decorations giving it an effect that just makes it feel romantic, no one was around because most of them are where the crowd is. It was just the two of them, waiting for the countdown of the new year.

And there’s a comforting silence between them, watching everyone from afar – some were still walking around, others are frantic that they might miss the fireworks. Somehow, it’s like everything is in chaos while the both of them are just there feeling everything.

The sensation of having the warmth, of the presence of the person they love – the feeling that she and Minju are standing together as the whole country welcomes a new year.

“You’ve been reading a lot lately,” Minju said out of nowhere, remembering the times when she saw Hyewon always holding the same book. She might have been working but she still looks at the girl, she notices everything. “And it’s the same book since.”

“Hmm,” Hyewon hummed happily, “I’m just amazed at how those poets managed to write everything they’re feeling, and how it just touches their readers.”

“Read some to me. Do you have a favorite?”

Hyewon pauses for a moment, noticing how the street suddenly has less people than before – a few minutes more and the fireworks will start. She then thinks about two poems that she couldn’t get out of her mind since she read them. “I have two but I don’t trust myself that I could read them with and convey how the poet wants it to be conveyed.”

“Still, read some for me.” Minju said with a small smile, encouraging Hyewon to do it. “I think it would be still amazing.”

“Yeah,” Hyewon breathes out, “Maybe next time, when we’re not busy.”

Then Hyewon doesn’t know if it’s right but she just wants to make it clear to Minju, “Entering a new year with you is probably one of the best things that happened to me this year.” She declares, grabbing Minju’s hands and turning the latter to face her.

“And I just want to assure you, that whatever my father says it won’t happen.” Hyewon said to Minju, thinking that her father talked to the girl already which explains the way Minju was acting for the past few days. “I won’t leave you just because he says so. I don’t owe him anything, and I want to be with you.”

That made Minju freeze, surprised but quickly masked it with something that she hopes is enough – thankful for the slightly dark lighting. “He said that?” She whispered to Hyewon.

But Hyewon ignored it, “No matter what he says, I don’t care about it. You won’t hurt me Minju, not purposely of course. We will work things out.”

“And if we can’t?”

It made the older girl frown slightly, why was Minju being so pessimistic? It’s just unusual for her to do that, “Then it’s not the end for us.”

3!

“It’s not the same without you, I know that I still have things to work on.”

Stop, please. I’m not worth it.

“I know that it won’t be easy for us, but great things never come easy, right?”

No, this is not the thing that you would want to stay on. it’s different.

2!

“But let’s do it together, no secrets. So please Minju, trust me okay?” Hyewon smiles as she walks closer to the younger girl. The latter looking at her, as if catching her breath – and Minju opens to say something.

“I – I trust you,” Minju said quietly, whispering to herself because it was the truth – she does trust Hyewon. But what she doesn’t trust is herself. “You know that I won’t hurt you purposely, right?”

I’m sorry, I just need time. I don’t know what to do.

Hyewon nods, the distance between them almost gone as she smiles at Minju. “We don’t hurt the ones we love.”

But I know I’m going to, sooner or later.

1!

“I love you.” Hyewon whispered and Minju’s tears started rolling down, maybe it was because of how Hyewon declared a silent promise to her – of how determined she is to continue what they have. Or maybe because of what Minju knows that would happen in the future.

“Happy New Year Hyewon-ah, I love you. Please remember that always.” Minju whispered back and leans her forehead against Hyewon’s, the latter wiping her tears as Minju cries more.

Hyewon smiles at the younger girl, though worried for the number of tears coming from Minju she closes the distance between them as the light of fireworks started illuminating – the shouts of everyone drowning her ears.

But the only thing she could hear is how Minju repeatedly saying I love you to her and she kissed the girl softly, closing her eyes in the process. Hoping that this year will bring new memories for them, something that they can go through together – with Minju and her friends.

A year for them to grow.

As individuals and as partners.

A new year for them to know more about each other, to open more things – a year to be closer again and again.

I’m sorry, just – I don’t want to lose you but I don’t know how.

You can lean on me Minju, when things get hard. Please lean on me for strength.

 

/

 

Minju didn’t lean on her, instead she pulled away.

 

/

 

It started the day after New Year’s Eve, right then there Hyewon knew something was wrong – no one in their right mind would go and work on New Year. But Minju brushed it off, saying it was an important thing to be finish that Hyewon didn’t have the heart to protest. She’s not that kind of person anyway, but it still didn’t sit right with her.

She’s not the type to question a person’s action but that doesn’t mean she’s not thinking about, because it has been running in her mind since then. But she trusts Minju, she knows that there’s something bothering the younger girl and if Minju’s not ready yet, then Hyewon will wait.

But the thing is, Hyewon was never bothered when it comes to waiting – in a sense, she’s not bothered by it even when it comes to Minju, the latter doing the same for her when Hyewon has problems, especially when they accidentally met her parents at the hill.

The thing that’s greatly bothering her is how she notices every little unusual thing that Minju’s doing, and this is the second time that she hopes she doesn’t notice these things – but she still does.

The waiting is not painful for her, but it was the changes that’s happening between them.

No matter how subtle it was, Hyewon sees it – she’s not blind, she’s not dense. Especially not with Minju.

The first time was during one morning, it was a normal morning with Hyewon waking up early enough to make breakfast for the two of them. Only to be surprised that Minju is not there beside her, the empty space beside her not giving the desired and usual warmth.

She sits up only to be greeted by an empty space, it may be because Hyewon got used to the fact that she would watch Minju sleep for a few minutes before starting her day, or the way she waits for the younger girl to wake up. The sleepy and dopey grin that she’s greatly fond of, that it took her by surprise to not see it that morning.

Then there’s just twisting inside her, not that kind of where you can brush it as a good type but the thing that makes you restless. But maybe she was just overreacting, this is the first time after all – maybe Minju just woke up really early that day.

Then she hears the door opening and steps coming, she turns to see Minju – wet damp hair with only a robe covering her. Hyewon couldn’t help but smile at the sight which Minju returned with the same energy.

“Good morning, you’re up early today.” Hyewon said as she stands up from the bed and fixes her pillow. She turns to look at Minju, the latter occupied by looking for what to wear.

“It’s great to start early, I decided to just jump in the shower.” Minju replied and grabs what seems to be a skirt. “Breakfast?” She asks the older girl, in which the latter nodded in agreement.

“Are you in a hurry?” Hyewon asked, just in case Minju needs to go out as soon as possible then she wouldn’t cook a huge meal.

Then Minju looks at her before smiling and shaking her head, “No, I have enough time.” Then before Hyewon could reply, the younger girl turned around – indicating that she will be changing now, Hyewon’s cue to leave the room.

But she couldn’t ignore it, the way Minju’s eyes were glazing when she looked at her – the way her lips smiled.

She couldn’t ignore it but she decided to wait.

That was the first change.

And Hyewon should’ve thought more of it than she did so.

The second time was when Minju missed dinner, it shouldn’t be a huge deal for Hyewon – not entirely, things happen and she knows that Minju has been really busy. But the thing is, she bumped into Chaewon while she was on her way to pick up some missing ingredient in their nearest convenience store.

Surprise was probably evident on her face because the girl asked her if she was okay. Hyewon mentally shakes her head to compose herelf and answer the waiting girl. “Yeah, just surprised to see you here.”

Chaewon smiled at her, and now that Hyewon is looking at the latter she noticed something. Unlike Minju, Chaewon probably looks relaxed and laidback, a stark contrast on how Minju comes home.

“Yeah, we don’t really have much to do anyway,” Chaewon said in a light tone which made Hyewon frown, completely not understanding the girl. Chaewon noticed the frown because she immediately continued.

“Which is probably just me, but what are you doing outside?” She said, steering the topic away from what she just said. It’s like she could see Hyewon’s gears working double time.

“Oh, I was about to pick up something I need for our dinner later.” Hyewon said pointing behind at the convenience store, “How about you? On the way home?”

Chaewon shakes her head, “Going to Yena’s today, we’re going to play some videogames she just bought.”

“Oh, with Yuri?” Hyewon asks and sees the nod from Chaewon. “Well, take care on your way. I need to buy it before Minju comes home.” She said before waving at Chaewon.

The latter waves back, watching Hyewon before shouting at the girl – she doesn’t know why, but she feels like there’s just something bothering the girl when she said what she said earlier. “Don’t worry, I’m pretty sure she’ll be back soon! We don’t have much paperwork anyway, take care!”

Hyewon smiles at Chaewon before turning back, entering the store and directly going to the aisle where she needs to. Grabbing everything and other necessities that needs restocking, she quickly goes to the counter putting everything down and grabbing her wallet to get the exact amount.

That’s when she felt her phone vibrated, grabbing it from her pocket – she smiles at seeing Minju’s name on it, only for the smile to leave her face as she reads the girl’s message to her.

Sorry, I might be late and have takeout for dinner. Too much work. I love you.

Minju

Hyewon stares at it for a minute or maybe it was longer than that because she was suddenly pulled out from her thoughts when she hears someone clearing their throat behind her.

“You’re holding up the line, miss.” The old man said from her behind and Hyewon can only smile apologetically.

She looks up from her phone and sees the cashier, smiling at her – the polite smile that every clerk gives you out of protocol. “Will you still get that?” She asks Hyewon, looking at the other items that Hyewon is still holding.

Hyewon cleared and nods her head, quickly giving it to the cashier. Her phone still in her hand as she pays for everything, muttering a ‘keep a change’ before grabbing the plastic bag. Walking out of the store, she stares at the message again – reading it again and again and thinking about Chaewon’s words earlier.

She should have asked Minju what the work was, tell her that she would wait. Hyewon should have convinced Minju that she should take a rest because she’s been burning herself out.

Instead, she just replied a simple message.

Okay, I love you too. Please take care.

Hyewon

And it was the way how Hyewon clenched the plastic bag as she walks back home, the coldness suddenly seeping through with her very warm clothes. Staring at nothing as she continues walking, thinking and thinking – until she couldn’t come up with anything.

It was the way how she entered their apartment and suddenly realizes one thing, the warmth it gives changed the moment the new year started. She gulps the lump on , putting what she just bought into their right place.

In the end, she still cooked for two – putting the other portion in a container for Minju to eat tomorrow.

Then Hyewon felt it, the slight pain right around where her heart is – she feels the way her mind is working, how it’s obviously giving her a headache. Then she was done, she doesn’t have the appetite anymore. Standing up, she goes to the sink to wash the dishes – all quiet, and it was the first time it made her uncomfortable.

One thing on her mind, what changed?

And when Hyewon couldn’t express her feelings, she does the best thing that she can do to express it – though music.

Then as she sat in front of the piano, she takes a deep breath and carefully places her hand on top of the keys. Closing her eyes, she lets the music consume her for everything that she’s feeling for the past days – how she longs to talk to Minju, to ask the younger girl what’s wrong – just to hold her.

She presses the keys softly, carefully until she’s consumed by her thoughts – keys being pressed harder, faster, the pain in her hands all forgotten as she sways with the music. Chords after chords, harder and faster – then softly, then hard.

Hyewon plays it as if she was shouting.

Pressing the last keys, she opens her eyes – looking at her trembling hands. Love's Sorrow Kreisler

But no matter how much she was feeling, she remembers – she holds on to what Minju said to her.

“You know that I won’t hurt you purposely, right?”

“Happy New Year Hyewon-ah, I love you. Please remember that always.”

She stands up and goes to take a shower, a way to hide her tears. To numb the pain even for a while. She trusts Minju but that’s the thing about trusting – you’re risking yourself to be in pain.

The third time was the last time and it all went down – Minju completely pulled away, not physically but Hyewon could feel it emotionally. It was the way how the younger girl talks to her, the frequent banters lessened. The girl never shared anything anymore, opting to just say that work is tiring and she needs to sleep.

Hyewon doesn’t know if Minju is making her feel like because if she was, then the girl is successful.

Then it was the way when Minju said it, “I love you too, Hyewon.”

Just that, not a hind of fondness – and she stepped back before going out of the apartment. And Hyewon could only stare at the closed door, begging Minju with her eyes to come back to just talk to her.

No small smile playing on Minju’s lips when she said it, the usual smile she always has – nothing on her eyes.

Just that.

As if it was something she needs to say. Not a want.

Hyewon knows she should have confronted Minju about it, but she’s not sure where to start – because every time she talks to the younger girl, Minju immediately ends the conversation. Brushing it off only being tired from work, or that everything is fine – when obviously it wasn’t.

Not when she’s obviously pulling away, and Hyewon is trying her best for the younger girl to just tell what’s bothering her – she knows it has something to do with the dinner that happened. It was the only event that Minju didn’t tell her.

And it just pains her how the younger girl is keeping everything to herself despite promising each other that they’ll get through everything together.

Hyewon knows she should wait, but how long? Because as Minju pulls away, Hyewon doesn’t know it’s eating inside her as well.

Whatever it was, it’s destroying the both of them.

 

///

 

Minju knows that she’s hurting Hyewon with what she’s doing, she knows and she’s still doing it. But every time she wants to stop, to just one day wake up and tell Hyewon everything – she freezes. She cannot even look the older girl in the eye anymore, share the same space, anything – she just couldn’t bring herself to do it.

And she hates how she knows that Hyewon notices things, which she can assume already that Hyewon is waiting for her to talk. The latter even cornered her about it, asking her about the dinner, if Hyewon’s father talked to her – just anything that might explain Minju’s actions.

That’s the thing, about Hyewon’s father – the fact that he asked her daughter to stay away from her, it just means one thing.

He already knows.

“You know that I won’t hurt you purposely, right?”

Minju laughs at her own words, clenching the pen she’s holding – because that’s exactly what she was doing. She doesn’t want to lose Hyewon, yet here she is pushing the latter away – how intelligent.

But it’s not something that can be discussed in a snap, because even Minju couldn’t get her mind to it – she couldn’t even remember a thing. Until snippets of it started forming on her mind, and she realized that it was indeed true.

And she hates herself for it.

The loathing she feels for herself, and how she hates how the heavens are playing with her – with Hyewon. With them.

“Okay, seriously. What’s your problem?”

Minju looks up to see Chaewon sitting in front her, she didn’t even hear the door opening. Was she that occupied to be unaware of her surroundings?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter