toasts & coffee

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyewon opens her eyes, adjusting to the light. She then looks around only to remember that she moved out of her old apartment. Then just like that, she smells the burnt toast again.

Grabbing a hair tie, she combs her hair with her fingers before putting it in a messy bun. She didn’t bother to look for her glasses since she knows it’s still in her bag. Walking out of the room with her oversized hoodie, hugging herself with it she looks at the kitchen.

There, Minju is obviously used her red toaster. Hyewon watched as the girl scrapes of the black side of the bread with a knife, trying to salvage what can be eaten. As if feeling someone, Minju turns around only to be greeted by the very bored look of Hyewon.

“I, just wanted some,” Minju wanted to punch herself, she never in her life stuttered ever. Especially not because of this damn toaster. “Just wanted some toasts.”

Hyewon nodded, walking over the girl handing out her hand. Minju looks at it weirdly, and Hyewon gestures for the burnt toast. As if on autopilot, Minju gave it to Hyewon who quickly threw it in the trash. Grabbing some new bread and putting it inside the toaster, adjusting what is ever needed to adjust.

“It’ll be finish in 3 minutes.” Hyewon announced, “I’ve put some jams in the fridge, you can use it if you want.”

Minju nodded mutely, this is the first civil conversation she had with her new roommate. Perhaps, Hyewon is not that bad to live with. And as if on cue, the toaster dinged, signifying that it is already done. Hyewon then quickly put it on a plate, as Minju walks over to her fridge.

And just as what Hyewon said, there are some used jams in it. She just decided to go for strawberry. Putting it on the table, she went to the coffee she already made and put some in a mug. She then looks at Hyewon, sitting there on the table – very much still asleep.

“Coffee?” She tried to get her attention, which is successful.

Hyewon nodded with the offer, “2 creams and sugar.”

Minju nodded, and poured another one. Following the instruction, she walks over to the table and slid Hyewon’s coffee to her side as Minju sat down.

Hyewon observes the girl, and noticed that she is wearing some work attire. She frowns, suddenly thinking about the time.

“What time is it?”

“Quarter to 8.” Minju answers, as she looks at her wristwatch.

And Hyewon panics. How could she forget to set her alarm? She has a class in an hour, and she’s still having her breakfast. She quickly downs the coffee, not relishing on its hotness and taste. Standing up quickly, and putting her mug on the sink.

She quickly walks out of the kitchen and Minju could only stare at her. She then heard an incoming call from her phone, only to see Yujin’s contact.

“Unnie, is Hyewonnie up?” Yujin asked.

“Yeah, she just had her coffee.” Minju answers, “Why, is the – “

“She has a class in an hour.” Yujin exasperatingly said, “She forgot to set an alarm. Again.”

“Oh, so that’s why she walked out.”

“Anyways, how’s the first morning with her?”

“She’s good.” Minju mutters, not wanting to elaborate.

“I told you so,” Yujin laughs, “I bet you used her toaster.”

Silence. Minju just drank her coffee.

“Holy , you did!”

“I’m going to hang up, bye.” Minju said.

She then finished her own breakfast, and Hyewon is still not coming out of her room. Minju just washed the dishes and is already good to go when her new roommate appeared. A bag hanging from her shoulder, glasses hanging loosely on her nose.

“Sorry, I need to go.” Hyewon mutters and quickly walks out.

Minju frowns, and grabbed her own things. It’s not like they are going on a different way, so she saw Hyewon waiting for the elevator obviously cannot stand still.

“Hey, I’ll drive.” Minju said, “Don’t panic.”

“What?” Hyewon questions, confused with the sudden offer. Because as much as she remembers, the girl hates her because of her attitude.

“I’ll drive you.” Minju repeated, “Yujin called saying you have a class in an hour. It takes around 20 minutes to walk to your university, and you only have like 30 minutes left.”

“Oh,” Hyewon utters out, “Thank you.” She frowns suddenly feeling something heavy inside her. Gosh, I’m such a mess.

“Sure, come on.” Minju says, walking inside the elevator.

 

//

 

Yujin knocks on the door in front of her and was greeted by a hug. She then returned it as the other girl ushered her to enter.

“So, how was it?”

“I think it’d be good for her.” Yujin smiles.

“Kang-chan really needs to live with someone right now.”

“Kura-unnie, as much as we think of that she also does not want to be a burden.” Yujin sighed.

“But she’s not.” Sakura said throwing her head up to stare at her ceiling.

“Right, there’s one tiny bit problem though.” Yujin murmured, and Sakura turned to the girl frowning.

“What is it?”

“There’s that thing in the apartment.”

And Sakura does not need anything more than that, the look on Yujin’s eyes already says it. She doesn’t know what to do with the information – but one thing’s for sure, she hopes it won’t pull their friend down.

“Why are you ju – “

“I swear! I didn’t know about it!” Yujin whines out.

“Pray for your life Yujin, because if something ba – “

“I know, I know.” Yujin sighs, “Don’t you have a shift?” Wanting to change the topic of her being dumb.

“Nope.” Sakura answered, “My shift aligns with Hyewon tonight.”

 

//

 

Minju frowns at the document she is reading in front of her, everything is just wrong. Her morning did not exactly go great, but thanks to her roommate – surprisingly helpful, and the jam and coffee she had, it went okay for her.

And now this. She does not know why this incompetent document is there right in front of her, asking to be signed. She then glared at the man, who has been fidgeting for the past 5 minutes.

“Return this to whoever it is from, and tell them to revise it.” Minju hissed, “And tell that person to report all the things regarding that document, tomorrow 2PM.”

“Yes, ma’am.” The man, Minju did not even bother with his name, walks out of her room looking like he would piss his pants any minute.

“Damn, who hurt you this morning?”

Minju groans out and turned to see her friend, “Wonyoung, not now.”

“I’m bored.”

“Then stop skipping class, and study.”

“My classes are already finished.” Wonyoung sticks out her tongue, “Have you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter