surprises & warmth

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyewon stretches her body and slowly blinks her eyes, a yawn escaped from her before she sat up from the bed. She looks around for a moment and sighs, she realized that it was officially her birthday. Their birthday. Looking at her hands, she smiles sadly. Remembering her past birthdays with Sora, where the latter would always wake her up for Hyewon to play Sora’s favorite piece.

Happy birthday Sora, let’s see each other this weekend. Hyewon thought.

The sound of utensils falling to the ground, echoing inside the whole apartment pulled Hyewon out of her thoughts. She frowns and looks at the time, reading that it was already 9 in the morning. Hyewon gets up from the bed and goes to the kitchen, she found herself staring confusedly at Minju – the younger girl is still not in her work clothes.

“Hey, don’t you – “Hyewon was cut off from the toaster’s dinged. She looks at it and was impressed that it has a perfect set of toasts. She breathes out a laugh and sees Minju walking over the toaster.

“Consider me amazed.” Hyewon said and looks at the table, she chuckles at what she saw. Two almost perfect omelette, if not for the fact that it is slight brown. “You cooked too.”

Minju puts the toasts on the table and smiled awkwardly at Hyewon, she shifts her weight from her other foot and twisted the towel the was holding. She purposely woke up early to cook something simple for the both of them, especially since it’s Hyewon’s birthday. “It’s your birthday, I just wanted to do something for you.”

“You, making my toaster work is enough.” Hyewon joked with a small smile and took a seat, “The omelette is just a bonus.”

Minju could finally exhale a breath of relief, giving herself a pat on her back for a job well done. She didn’t realize that cooking a simple meal is this hard – well it was just hard for her because this was Hyewon she was cooking for. She needs to at least present a decent meal and by decent she means just an omelette and a toast.

She’s just trying make a simple breakfast as gift, not make a miracle and suddenly be a chef. This is why she sticks with take-outs before, cooking is such a hassle – and she just .

Minju smiles at the older girl, walking to the sink to wash her hands. She takes a seat in front of Hyewon, anticipating the girl’s reaction to her first bite. Minju knows that she didn’t nail the omelette, too busy listening to the video tutorial on how to cook it – yes, that’s how hopeless she was. It was too late when she realized that it started to brown a little, but it’s still decent looking.

Hyewon raises her eyebrows and chuckles to herself, grabbing her fork to take a bite on the omelette. She could see the anticipation on the younger girl’s face, and she just decided to take advantage of it.

Minju panics seeing Hyewon grimacing, it looks like the latter was about to choke. She quickly stands up and gets a water for the older girl. Minju is feeling embarrassed right now, with how she expected for her cooking to taste at least fine but her hope vanished the second Hyewon frowned.

“I’m so sorry! Here’s your water,” Minju slides the water for Hyewon to grab it, and she didn’t hesitate to get the plate of omelette on the table. “I shouldn’t have let you try it first! Gosh, this is embarrassing!”

Minju feels guilty and wants to throw the omelette away as soon as possible. To think that the worst scenario in her mind actually happened, she wants to bury herself 6 ft. from the ground. She was about to walk over when a hand pulled her back, and the plate she was holding was gone.

She hears Hyewon chuckling behind her, making her turn around and the older girl is obviously trying to stifle her laugh. Minju opens to say something when Hyewon suddenly gave her some omelette.

“I’m just joking!” Hyewon laughs, “It’s good, I promise!” She said and watches Minju slowly chew the omelette she shoved to the younger girl’s mouth. She grins at Minju and takes a seat again, ignoring the incredulous look Minju was giving her.

Hyewon just laughs and as if to prove her point, she gets another bite on the omelette while staring at Minju, letting the latter to watch her chew it slowly.

Realizing that the older girl was just teasing her, she glares at Hyewon and sits down with a huff. Minju grabs her own fork and takes a bite on the omelette, chewing it harshly as she didn’t move her glare from the older girl. She could see the older girl grinning at her, biting on her toast with a teasing smile.

“Isn’t it really good?” Hyewon asks wiggling her eyebrows.

Minju rolls her eyes fondly at the older girl, she shakes her head to herself. Biting on her own toast, shrugging her shoulders. “Be thankful it’s your day.”

Hyewon chuckles and tilts her head, remembering the fact that Minju is not a student like her. “Don’t you have work?”

“I have work, yes.” Minju answers the older girl and smirks, “Why? Don’t want to have me here?”

Hyewon rolls her eyes at the younger girl, taking a sip from her water before answering. “It’s already late, why are you still here?”

“I’m going to drive you to your class.” Minju shrugs her shoulders, and seeing that the older girl was about to protest – she quickly cuts her off. “No questions. I’m just trying to be a good roommate to a birthday girl.”

Hearing the finality in her tone, Hyewon just sighs – she knows she can’t change Minju’s mind now. But despite not liking the idea of Minju wasting her time just to drive her, she feels warm and light inside. Hyewon smiles slightly to Minju, the younger girl returning it with a grin.

“Happy birthday Hyewon.” Minju says softly.

Hyewon feels her smile growing wider, she doesn’t know why she’s suddenly feeling shy in front of the younger girl. But she didn’t let it show. “Thank you.” She says quietly, then biting into her toast.

Finishing their small breakfast, Minju quickly stands up to not let Hyewon wash the dishes. Grabbing and piling their plates and holding it, she turns around to walk over to the sink but when she takes another step, she felt like her foot got weak all of a sudden – causing her to trip.

Hyewon is thankful that she was near enough before Minju could fall, grabbing the younger girl by the waist with one hand and the other holding the plates. She looks at Minju with wide eyes, concern evident on her face. “Are you okay?”

Minju nods her head and lets the older girl help her to stand, she smiles at Hyewon gratefully. Minju stomps her foot lightly, “Yeah, foot just went numb.”

Hyewon looks at the younger girl for a second before grabbing the plates from Minju, she ignores the younger girl’s whine and proceeds to the sink. “I’ll do this, you might break it with your clumsiness.”

“But – “

“I’m the unnie here,” Hyewon glances at Minju, smirking a little when she made the girl speechless with her answer. “Now, go do whatever you want. I’ll be fine.”

She doesn’t need to look back to know that Minju just rolled her eyes at her. “Okay, unnie.” Hyewon couldn’t help but to chuckle with how Minju emphasized the word – Minju could be bratty whenever she wants to.

Hyewon could hear a loud sound and she glances to see that Minju is already lounging on the couch, watching some show. She smiles at the sight and continued with her task. She carefully washes the dishes, humming to some song quietly. Hyewon wishes Sora is there to meet Minju, she’s pretty sure her sister would love Minju.

After all, Hyewon is starting to get fond of her too.

 

/

 

With Hyewon's class starting around noon and Minju not backing down on her offer, the two of them are just lounging on the couch with their own devices. The sound coming from the television filling the apartment. Hyewon is just scrolling through the birthday greetings she received from her friends, knowing that they'll whine if she doesn't reply – that's just how dramatic they are, especially Yena and Yujin.

There are embarrassing pictures of her on their group chat making her roll her eyes at how her friends saved it just for this occasion. But nevertheless, she still thanked them one by one. The only decent picture is the one that Eunbi sent – the two of them smiling at the camera. She didn’t think that Hitomi and Nako would betray her like this – sending a picture of her sleeping with a drool, and full of foods.

I have something for you, I gave it to Yujin. Hope you like it!

Eunbi

Hyewon frowns, she said that she does not want to get any gifts during her birthday. But she doesn’t have any options but to accept it.

Thank you, what is it?

Hyewon

You’ll know.

Eunbi

Minju on the other hand is scrolling through her emails, just like the workaholic person she is. Chaewon reminding her of the reports that needed to be checked, and some documents that needed her sign. She’s eternally grateful that Chaewon agreed to work for her or else, she would be going insane right now.

Tell Hyewon happy birthday for me. Thank you!

Chaewon

Minju chuckles and looks at the older girl, the latter sporting a frown while she types furiously. She glanced on the phone to see her typing in some group chat that is full of pictures. “Hey, Chaewon said happy birthday.”

Hyewon stopped her furious typing and looks at the younger girl, “Oh, please say thank you. She’ll come to the celebration, right?”

Minju scrunches her nose, she has been forgetting to ask Chaewon about that. But she’s pretty sure the girl would come the moment she’d invite her, it’s not like Chaewon would be busy on the weekends – for all she knows, that girl would just be bored out of her mind.

“I haven’t asked her yet, but I’m sure she’ll come.” Minju said to Hyewon, typing in her phone to ask Chaewon about it. She might forget it later.

Hey, there’s some celebration of her birthday on the weekend. She’s expecting you.

Minju

Of course, she is. She won’t be disappointed. I’m going to be there.

Chaewon

Minju rolled her eyes and showed Hyewon her message, “She confirmed, sounding so conceited and confident.”

Hyewon leans closer to read the message as she was not wearing her glasses at that time, she chuckles reading Chaewon’s reply. “She’ll really get along with my friends if she keeps being like that.”

Minju scoffs, remembering the last that they hang out together. Chaewon really got along with them well, especially with Yuri. If the girl managed to spend time with all of them, she’s pretty sure that Chaewon won’t have a problem to actually belong in the group. Well, it’s not like the group is not welcoming either – they just blended so well.

“Wait, do you have any shift for today?” Minju asks Hyewon, and latter nods. “But isn’t it your birthday?”

Hyewon chuckles, sitting up properly. “I won’t have one tomorrow. I think I’ll end by 11 again.” She then looks at Minju with a smile, “Why? Have another surprise for me?” She teased the younger girl.

Minju blushed and rolled her eyes at the teasing tone, she didn’t know that Hyewon would be someone like this when she gets comfortable with a person. But she’s not really sure how comfortable the older girl is getting with her, but she hopes it won’t stop.

“In your dreams.”

Hyewon laughs slightly and tilts her head, looking at Minju softly. The first time she met the girl and moved in here, she thought that she wouldn’t last for a week. Mainly because of how Hyewon was, she knows that she is not the easiest person to handle – and she never actually saw herself getting close with Minju. But right now, here they are joking with each other, Hyewon even teases Minju – not something she would do to just some person.

Then out of nowhere, there was a knock coming from the door. Hyewon and Minju look at each other, it seems like neither of them are expecting anyone to visit. Minju stands up from the couch, waving her hand at the older girl saying that she’ll open it. She walks over the door and was surprised when Yujin and Wonyoung were there.

“What are you guys doing here?” Minju asked, crossing her arms. The two girls are just smiling innocently at her.

“We’re here for the birthday girl, not you.” Wonyoung said before pushing passed her, Yujin laughs and stuck her tongue out at Minju. Minju could only look at them in disbelief, closing the door. She walks to the living only to see Hyewon being suffocated by the two girls.

Minju had her jaw drop, she’s not surprised to see Yujin doing that to Hyewon – but what was surprising is Wonyoung doing that also. She looks like a koala clinging on Hyewon like that, and when did the girl became this close to Hyewon? Minju is the roommate here and she still feels awkward being like that to the older girl – well maybe it’s because she has feelings for Hyewon, but that’s beside the point.

Hyewon pats the two girls on the back, Yujin and Wonyoung are both giving her big hugs which she didn’t expect. She didn’t even expect to see the two of them there in the apartment. “Hey, guys. I need air.”

She could hear the two girls laughing before pulling away, having no other weight on top of her, Hyewon properly sat up looking at Yujin and Wonyoung.

“Happy birthday Hyewonnie!” The both of them greeted, and Hyewon laughs at how excited they are. She glanced at Minju who went back to her seat, with a raised eyebrow.

“Since when did you become this close with Hyewon?” Minju asked with her arms crossed, looking straightly at her younger cousin. The latter just grinned and walks over at Hyewon, hugging the girl tightly.

“It just happened.” She smugly said. Hyewon chuckles and hugs Wonyoung back, Yujin then sat in between the girls.

“I have something for you!” She announces, “I mean for the both of you, Eunbi-unnie gave it to me.” She giggles and pulls out something from her small bag. Two small envelopes and gave it to Minju and Hyewon. She and Wonyoung looks excitedly at the two, while the older girls look confused.

“What is thi – “

“Just open it!” Wonyoung cuts off her older cousin.

Minju and Hyewon looks at each other and shrugs, they wouldn’t know if they don’t open it anyways. Minju was the first one to look what’s inside, pulling it out. She choked on her own saliva and quickly whips her head to look at Hyewon. The latter seems to be staring at the picture – as if she’s not affected by it.

A picture of them sleeping, with Hyewon on Minju’s lap, and Minju’s hand is resting on the older girl’s cheek. She opens to say something but nothing just comes out – she’s too overwhelmed with the picture.

“Don’t you guys look so domestic?” Yujin smiled wiggling her eyebrows mischievously. “Thank Yena-unnie for that.” She snickers, and looks at Hyewon. The older girl still hasn’t said anything.

“What do you think Hyewonnie?”

The three girls are waiting for her to an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter