games & polaroids

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju was jolted awake from the loud voices coming outside her room – right, she just realized that she slept in her own. After they went home, the both of them are both tired – Minju offered that she can sleep with Hyewon again but the latter declined her telling her she should sleep to get her much needed rest – much to Minju’s disappointment.

“Hyewonnie make me some breakfast too!”

Minju frowns, that voice – what was Yujin doing in her apartment? She then started to panic and looked at the digital clock – Minju realizes that she’s late for work. She quickly stands up and went out of her going straight to the bathroom when Yujin called her.

“Unnie! Where’s the fire?” Yujin asks her with her usual loud voice – too much for Minju’s liking.

“Shut up Ahn Yujin, I’m going to be later.” She glared and was about to walk away when she saw Hyewon’s head popped out from the kitchen. The older girl looks like she was abruptly woken up from her sleep – judging from the scowl she’s giving to Yujin and her disheveled hair.

“Minju, it’s Wednesday. A holiday, remember?” Hyewon reminds her with a smile she then turns away to attend to the stove, “You can sit there, I’m almost done here.”

Minju suddenly remembers that she doesn’t have any work today, and all the adrenaline went out of her. She heaves out a relieved sigh and walked over to the kitchen, Yujin grinning at her.

“What?”

“You forgot, didn’t you?” Yujin asked in a sing-song voice, which annoys Minju more. As she was about to answer, Hyewon beat her to it.

“Yujinnie, go back and eat your toast.” Hyewon said as she turns off the stove, putting what seems to be like a kimchi fried rice on a plate.

“Why do I get a toast while Minju-unnie gets that?!” Yujin whines biting harshly onto her toast, Minju just took a seat sticking her tongue out to Yujin.

“Roommate benefits.” Hyewon shrugs and smiles at Minju giving her the newly cooked kimchi fried rice. The younger girl said her thanks quickly took a bite on it; she gives a grateful nod to Hyewon as she gives her a cup of coffee.

Yujin is observing the interaction of the two older girls in front of her with a raised eyebrow – she bites onto her toast slowly and cleared .

“You guys look,” She started and she feels herself smirking because she got their attention, “Domestic.” Her smirk grew even more as she got the reaction she wanted – specifically from Minju, who is coughing loud at the moment.

Hyewon quickly slides a glass of water to the younger girl to help her in her coughing fit, completely unbothered by what Yujin said – the latter just rolls her eyes at the older girl’s obliviousness.

“Because we’re roommates?” Hyewon answers nonchalantly sipping on her coffee, “We’re used to each other.” She shrugs.

“Right.” Minju nodded dumbly and gave Yujin a pointed look. The younger girl just grinned and shrugs her shoulders as if saying I didn’t say anything wrong.

“Why are you here?” Minju questions and remembers the time, “At 8 in the morning – which is a holiday.” She frowns.

Yujin just smiled at her, “We’re going together.”

Minju just looks at the younger girl, nothing is clicking inside her mind – where are they going?

“To Eunbi-unnie’s house.” Hyewon offers seeing that her roommate is still frazzled from her sleep.

Minju widens her eyes, now remembering the scheduled hangout with Hyewon and her friends. She then looks at Yujin who just smirks at her – and she finds that smirk absolutely annoying in that morning. Ignoring the younger girl in front of her, she just shoved a spoonful of kimchi fried rice in – absolutely heavenly.

Then so suddenly, the doorbell rang making Minju confused – who would visit her in the morning?

Yujin quickly got up from her seat and ran over to the door, Minju just looked at Hyewon and the latter just shrugged.

“Wonyoungie!”

Wonyoung?

“Chaewon-unnie!”

What? Minju whips her head to the direction and right there, Yujin is walking with the two said girls. Her cousin giving her a smile and her friend waving at her. Holy .

“Unnie! Are you surprised?” Wonyoung greets her running over to her and hugging her tightly. Minju taps her lightly and pointing at the plate in front of her. Wonyoung quickly released her smiling at her sheepishly, but her attention quickly transferred to the other girl in the kitchen.

“Hyewon-unnie! Nice to see you again!” She greets happily at the older girl and the latter just smiled at muttering a good morning.

“Looks delicious Minju-ah, did you cook that?” Chaewon asked which earned her a glare. Minju knows that the girl is just teasing her, Chaewon knows that she could not cook for .

“No,” She hissed, “My roommate cooked it.” She pointed at Hyewon.

“Chaewon meet my roommate, Hyewon,” She introduced, “Hyewon meet my secretary slash friend – unfortunately, Chaewon.”

Hyewon smiles at the girl, “Did you guys have your breakfast?”

Wonyoung smiles widely at the question, “Not yet. We were hoping to have our breakfast here.”

“Why would you hope that? Why are you guys here exactly?” Minju questions the two, and she noticed Yujin slowly walking backwards.

“Yujin said that you’re expecting us to be here in the morning because we will be going together to their friend’s house.” Chaewon said shrugging.

Minju looks at the two in disbelief, she quickly glares at the culprit. “Ahn Yujin, you come – “

Minju stopped from her scolding when she heard a chuckle from beside her, Hyewon then stands up nodding her head at Minju. “It’s alright. We still have enough to cook for them.” She says and started getting some ingredients.

Yujin quickly returned to the kitchen and points at Hyewon accusingly, “You said that you’re out of ingredients already!”

The older girl just rolled her eyes, “Yeah, because you kept calling my phone disrupting my sleep.”

“You liar!”

“Ahn Yujin.” Hyewon says with a tone and the younger girl quickly shuts up like a puppy being scolder by her owner. “Go to your seat and keep quiet.”

Yujin pouts and nodded, she then looks up and she could see the other three stifling their laughter.

 

As Hyewon finished cooking another serving of kimchi fried rice for the other three, she excused herself reasoning that she feels sticky from all the cooking and a shower is very much needed. As soon as they heard the bathroom door closing, Minju prays because she knows what is going to happen next.

“Holy Kim Minju. I know you have a roommate,” Chaewon exclaimed, “But I didn’t know that you have that kind of roommate.” She says with a dreamy tone.

“And what kind of roommate are you saying?” Minju questions, drinking her water since she is already finished with her own meal.

“Have you seen her? She has the looks, and damn hell she could cook!” Chaewon exclaims, and as if wanting to prove her point she shoves a mouthful of kimchi fried rice into and moaned.

Minju quickly slaps her for the inappropriate sound, “We have a minor here!”

Wonyoung just waves her hand dismissively, “I get her point. Hyewon-unnie is really good.”

“Unnie, you’re living the life right now.” Yujin says as she gobbles her food, “Hyewonnie is here to cook food for you while you work. How lucky can you be?”

Minju glares at the younger girl, “Don’t start with me Yujin, you still have some explaining to do.”

Yujin just smiled at her ignoring the glare, “I just thought it would be fun to go there together!”

Minju just sighed, “What time is it anyways?”

“5 in the afternoon.”

Minju shouts a really loud ‘what’, causing Hyewon to quickly open the bathroom door and they could feel the steam coming off from the room.

“Is everything alright? I heard Minju shouting.” She asked from the door.

Minju is surprised that the older girl quickly stopped her shower and asked for her, but it seems like she’s not the only one. Judging from the other’s face, they found it entertaining.

“Yeah, we’re just explaining things Hyewonnie! You go continue your shower, take care!” After hearing a muffled ‘okay’ and the door shutting, Yujin quickly looks at Minju with a knowing smirk.

The other two girls are sporting the same smirk and Minju just shuts her eyes for peace of mind.

“Tell me honestly unnie, do you like Hyewonnie?”

Wonyoung is really interested and she waits for her cousin’s answer as she was chewing, Minju could see Chaewon’s look.

She just scoffed, “No, we’re roommates. That is seriously not the ideal thing to do, right?”

Wonyoung furrowed her eyebrows, “Are you telling that us, or yourself?”

Chaewon coughed at the very good question, earning a kick from Minju. The latter just ignored her cousin and stood up, placing her plates in the sink.

“Finish your food and the last one to eat would wash the dishes.” She orders them and walked away, going to her own room. But she didn’t notice that someone was following her not until she turned around and saw Yujin closing the door.

Unlike earlier, the younger girl seems serious – all the playfulness is not present.

“Are you serious with what you said?”

Minju knows what Yujin is talking about, “Yeah, what about it?”

Yujin then stares at her a minute long and scoffs, “I told you you’ll be in her bubble.”

“What?”

“Be patient with Hyewonnie.”

Minju could feel the tensed atmosphere between them, “What are you – “

“She’s fragile.” Yujin cuts her off, “And I think you know that, right?”

Minju just nodded quietly.

Yujin nodded, “Good. I need to finish her kimchi fried rice, it’s not every day that I have Hyewonnie to cook for me.” And just like that, her playfulness is back as if it was nothing. Yujin then opened her room, the same time Hyewon is about to walk in her own – making the latter stare at Yujin then at Minju.

“What – “

Yujin quickly cuts her off, shutting Minju’s door close. Minju could hear their muffled voices from outside, but she couldn’t help but to think about what Yujin said. She is now perfectly aware that Hyewon has secrets, that she has this baggage that Minju doesn’t know of.

But what kind of baggage it is, to the point that Yujin would be really protective of her?

“It’s not something to look forward to.”

Minju breathes out, “Just who are you Kang Hyewon?” She whispers to no one.

 

//

 

Hyewon knew that it would be a stressful day the moment she saw Yujin’s contact in her phone, calling her in the morning, not even a hint of sorry for disrupting her sleep. It was a decent sleep – not as peaceful when she sleeps with Minju, as weird as that sounds.

Now, she is in front of the television watching some show that she has no idea of with Wonyoung and Yujin being cozy, and Chaewon looking around the apartment.

“Minju will be finished soon, you guys should separate.” Hyewon said without looking at the two girls. Chaewon glanced at them and rolled her eyes.

“I thought you guys are just friends?”

Wonyoung just sighed and nodded, “Yeah, we are.”

Hyewon didn’t even hide her chuckle, giving Yujin a quirking eyebrow. The latter just smiled sheepishly at her and shrugs her shoulders. They then heard the door opening and Minju walked over to the living room – making Wonyoung and Yujin scramble to their feet.

Minju noticed the act and glared at Yujin, “What did you do?”

Yujin keeps opening and closing , trying to find an excuse – and Hyewon decided to step in to help her friend. “Wonyoung tripped on something and Yujin caught her.” She nonchalantly said. Minju frowns, but just nodded her head since it was Hyewon that said it.

Hyewon mouths to Yujin ‘you owe me’ and the latter just gave her a heart, making the older girl chuckle. Minju then flopped beside Chaewon, grabbing the remote to choose something to watch.

“Hey! I’m watching!”

“My house, my show.” Minju says and ignored the whining girl.

Hyewon did not even bother to watch instead she just rest her head against the armrest on the couch, dozing off despite the noise coming from her surroundings. She really feels sleepy despite skipping her shift last night.

She didn’t know when she started to fall asleep but she found herself waking up for the second time when she smelled something very familiar – she has smelled that scent a thousand times every time she has a shift. She quickly opens her eyes only to be greeted by camera and a very distinct laugh. Chaeyeon.

“Chaeyeon?!” She quickly sat up, and suddenly felt dizzy from her action.

“Hey Kang-chan.”

She whips her head to see Sakura, “Kura-unnie?!”

“Hyewonnie, I’m here too!”

Hyewon looks to see Yujin waving at her jokingly, she quickly looks around and found Minju and Chaewon walking over to the living with pl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter