snacks & traditions pt. 2

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The group of friends were anything but peaceful, they were all in a mess playing with each other and teasing one another. Having a huge tree to shade them from the sun, the fresh air that breeze on them once in a while, and the amount of foods in front of them. They are having the best time of their lives, and everyone is contented.

No one felt left out within the group, everyone joined the fun and shared stories. Hyewon was watching Wonyoung telling a story about how Yujin did something funny in one of their classes together, with Wonyoung not completing her story without laughing first. She smiles at the two, seeing that Yujin is really happy with the younger girl.

She shifts her gaze to how Eunbi was taking care of Hitomi and Nako, the two girls fighting over one bread and she shakes her head at them amusedly. Chaeyeon and Sakura joining the three by claiming the bread, resulting in Eunbi smacking them. Hyewon hopes that everything would be alright between the three – Chaeyeon still needs to explain herself.

On her side, she saw Minju talking to Chaewon with Yena and Yuri. The four girls seem to be having a fun time together, talking god knows what – feeling her stare, Minju turned beside her and smiled at Hyewon. Offering the sandwich, she’s having to the older girl, which the latter gladly accepts. “Having fun?” Hyewon asked Minju.

“Yeah, I told you,” Minju chuckles and noticing some sauce on Hyewon’s side of lips and wiping it with her finger mindlessly – she didn’t notice how Hyewon stiffened. “It’s hard not to have fun with you guys.”

Hyewon, getting over her surprise released a weak chuckle and looks around. “Yeah, that’s an understatement but yeah.”

She then looks at Sora, reading the engraving over and over again. Somehow, the emotions she’s feeling at the moment are different from before, wherein she felt guilt, hopelessness, and an empty mind of only wanting to disappear. At that moment, she’s feeling emotions that she never felt in years – she felt happy, being with her friends. That unlike before, everything will be alright from there on – she’s not moving on in a sense that she’s going to forget Sora. Because she could never forget her soulmate, but she’s moving on in a sense that she’s going to live.

Because somehow, in the process of all the pain she felt – of the void she has been in for years, she found someone that made her realize things. Someone that made her open her eyes that Sora would want her to live – to enjoy life. Someone that made her wake up her passion from playing again.

With everyone surrounding her, the loud whining coming from Hitomi and Nako with Eunbi scolding Sakura and Chaeyeon, the latter’s unique laugh towering over all of the noise. With Yujin playing with Yena from one end to another by throwing rolled up tissues, with Wonyoung capturing it all in her phone – and lastly the loud laugh that made Minju lean on Hyewon’s shoulder, laughing about a joke that Chaewon and Yuri told her.

Hyewon looks down at Minju, the younger girl still trying to catch her breath from all the laughing – making her look up at Hyewon. The older girl smiled softly and brushed Minju’s cheeks slightly, removing the unsees dirt on her face. She then turns to look at Sora, feeling everything all of a sudden – hitting her all at once, wanting to say something then and there.

“Guys,” Hyewon called all of their attention, despite her voice being soft everyone turned to her. She then looks at them with a smile, because she knows this decision – it would be a start of a new chapter in her life. The chapter that she forcefully closed before, but it seems like it was the right moment.

“I’m going back into playing piano again.”

Then everyone dropped everything they were doing, all looking at her with wide eyes. Eunbi stopped scolding Chaeyeon and Sakura, the three of them looking at her. Hitomi and Nako having the same surprised expressions, Yujin and Yena stopped throwing tissues and Wonyoung lowering down her phone. She then turns to her side and all she could see is Minju – smiling softly at her as if saying that she’s proud.

Just like that, with Minju squeezing her hand, in a second Hyewon was tackled by a hug – courtesy of Yujin. Everyone followed the girl, all laying on top of Hyewon and shouting things – Hyewon hopes this day wouldn’t end.

I’ll play for us again, Sora.

“Okay, that’s enough. Give her a chance to explain.” Eunbi said and got off the group, pulling Hitomi and Nako away. Slowly the group dispersed from Hyewon, giving the latter a chance to finally breathe. She looks at Minju – the only person who didn’t tackle her, smiling at her proudly. It’s weird how Minju got into her bubble like it was the easiest thing to do, but Hyewon wouldn’t ask for any other thing.

“Is it true? Hyewonnie, you’re going to play again?” It was Yujin who asked her first, not beating around the bush. But Hyewon could see how excited the younger girl is, after all, she has seen Hyewon played before.

Hyewon nods her head, “Yeah, it’s just a sudden decision but,” She pauses looking down on her hands, seeing the stitches and scars on her wrist in the process. “But I never stopped wanting to play.”

“It’s always been within me, I just decided to ignore it.” She quietly admitted, using Minju’s words during the day she told the girl her life story. Hyewon glances at the younger girl, and slowly she discreetly grabbed Minju’s hand – away from the spectator’s eyes, just a silent moment between them. Hyewon smiles at how Minju squeezed her hand in reassurance, with her squeezing back as a thank you.

They then heard a gasp coming from Yena, getting all of their attention. Yena points a shaky finger at Hyewon, “So, does that mean you can play in our wedding?” She shakingly said and squealed, hugging Yuri who bowed her head in embarrassment.

This reaction earned a laugh from everyone, with Yena earning a smack from Yuri – muttering how embarrassing the girl is but everyone could see the blush on her cheeks. Hyewon chuckles and shrugs her shoulders playfully, “Depends if Yuri decides to marry you.”

“Kwangbae! How dare you say that?!” Yena dramatically grabbed her chest as if she was shot, “How can Yuri reject my proposal? I’m the greatest good she’s ever going to get.” She then turns to her girlfriend, puckering her lips to kiss the girl.

Yuri dodges it and scoots away from Yena, “I don’t know, you said that we’re only going to date and you won’t even marry me.”

Everyone laughed, the others explaining the situation to Wonyoung, Minju, and Chaewon – and they soon joined the laughter. Yena whining about how it was a joke and she’s really going to marry Yuri, and everything went on like earlier. Hyewon then turns and looks at Sakura – the older girl already looking at her, a soft look in her eyes just like before.

That’s what Hyewon has been feeling lately, like everything was from before – where everything is alright. But that wouldn’t change the fact that Sora is not there with them, but with the strong breeze that suddenly blew passed them – Hyewon smiles at Sakura, the older girl returning it.

Because in the end, Sora is there with them – looking at them happily.

 

-

 

It was almost 5 in the evening when they went to their next destination which was the shore near the hill, a 15 to 20-minute walk from it. Everyone was spread around with their respective partners, all laying down on the blanket earlier. Unlike the time at the hill, all the snacks are almost gone – save for the few chips and biscuits, which would also be gone soon. Everyone was just laying with their eyes closed, waiting for Eunbi’s instruction.

“Night has come,” Eunbi announced and continued, “Mafia, decide who you’re going to kill.” She smirked when she saw Hyewon and Minju opening their eyes – the latter glaring at her for doing this. Minju may have just gotten close to Eunbi that day, but the older girl specifically planned this for Minju to . Shaking her head, she looks at Hyewon pointing at Yujin – Minju looks at the younger girl.

She remembers how Yujin was adamant on killing her earlier, good thing that Minju managed to convince them that she’s not a mafia with her business-like tone. Minju nods her head at Hyewon, and the older girl grinned. The two of them looked at Eunbi and nodded their head, immediately closing their eyes soon after.

“Doctor, who are you going to save?” Eunbi asked and sees Yujin opening her eyes, the younger girl looking around before shrugging her shoulders before pointing at herself with a proud grin. Eunbi stifled a laugh and nodded her head.

“Police, look for your suspect.” Eunbi watches Sakura opening her eyes slightly, and discreetly pointing at Yena – Eunbi shakes her head and the Japanese girl pouted. She then waited for a few seconds before starting the round. “Day has come.”

“Did someone die?” Yena gasped sitting up and looking at everyone suspiciously, Eunbi chuckles before shaking her head.

“No one died.”

Everyone gasped and Yujin screamed dramatically, standing up and pointing at everyone accusingly. “You dared to kill me?!”

“I’m getting scared with this game!” Yuri exclaims and scooting over Yena, but the girl pulled away.

“We’re still in the game, you might be a mafia!” Yena said accusingly which earned a smack from Yuri. Everyone laughed from their antics and with Yena being paranoid, they then started to convince and accuse one another again.

“Hyewon.” Sakura said, nodding her head as if approving what she just said. “I’m certain she’s a mafia.”

Hyewon whined about not being a mafia, rolling her eyes at Sakura and Yujin for being certain that she is one. Well, they are not wrong but she needs to do everything to win. “I’m just a normal citizen, Eunbi won’t make me a mafia – “

“Because it’s your day?” Chaewon deadpanned, looking at her boringly. Hyewon learned that Chaewon could be savage at times, just with her expressions and few words she could make anyone shut up. But she didn’t waver and nodded her head.

“That, and I’m not good at being mafia. I always lose.”

Just then, she could hear everyone snickering making her gulp. Glancing at Minju and seeing the younger girl’s face looking at her unamused and in disbelief, Hyewon knows she screwed up – she groaned out loud and whined. But seeing everyone around her talking, she knows that they already decided.

“Sorry Kwangbae, but this is you losing.” Yena said with a smug smile, she then looks at Eunbi nodding her head, “We’ve decided.”

“Okay, Hyewonnie.” Eunbi announced and pats the said girl’s shoulder, looking at everyone. “To save or to kill?”

In a second, everyone shouted again with Hyewon pulling her hair out of her head. It seems like Minju didn’t get the memo that she should let go of her partner once the said partner is about to die – because with everyone voting to kill Hyewon, Minju was the only one who saved her. Eunbi laughed out loud, with Minju’s jaw dropped. All of the girls are laughing at her for her stupid mistake.

“You should have voted to kill me Minju!” Hyewon whined and lightly kicking the sand because they just lost the game, “I was alright being killed!”

“I thought someone would save you too!” Minju exclaims, hiding her face in between her hands due to embarrassment. Hyewon laughs out loud and pointed at the other girls as if for Minju to see.

“Is that the face of someone willing to save me?!”

And everyone laughed again with Minju slightly slapping Hyewon’s arms. Just like that, they finished their game and everyone started to disperse – saying that they want to take a walk. Some people just decided to stay on the blanket to relax, while the ones who went to the walk are those who ate almost all of the food they brought.

Eunbi walked with Nako and Hitomi, the two Japanese urging Eunbi to be their photographer – the older girl may have a scowl on her face but everyone knows she couldn’t reject the two. Yena and Yujin walked with their girls – though Wonyoung is still not her official girl, but everyone knows it will happen soon. It was a funny sight with the two younger girls towering over Yena and Yuri, and it’s obvious that Yujin is making fun of their height.

Chaeyeon, Sakura, Hyewon, and Minju are the only ones left sitting on the blanket, finishing off the leftover snacks. Sakura was softly brushing Chaeyeon’s hair, playfully tickling her nose with it. The two of them then looked over at the other two, Hyewon just casually laying Minju’s lap – the younger girl giving some chips for Hyewon to eat from time to time.

It was a sight that they never thought they would see, but something that is pleasing to the eyes. All of them know that Minju is one of the reasons why Hyewon decided to play piano again, just with that night after one of their shifts – with Hyewon admitting that she missed playing, Sakura knows that Minju made her realize things. It was something that Sakura was trying hard to do for Hyewon, but maybe it was never her that would make the younger girl realize it.

That’s why she’s thankful for Yujin for making the two meet, she’s thankful for Minju for accepting the offer and for Hyewon – for the latter to open up voluntarily to Minju. She then felt the weight on her lap being removed and she saw Chaeyeon smiling at her before nodding her head, standing up from the blanket.

The girl called for Minju to walk with her and Hyewon opened her eyes before pouting, but she still sat up and waved at Minju. Sakura smiles and sat closer to the girl, bumping their shoulders together. Hyewon chuckles before picking up the bag of chips and putting it in between them.

“Why the sudden change of mind?” Sakura asked without looking at Hyewon, the two of them just staring straight ahead. Watching the small waves from the sea, and looking at the sun that was about to set.

“Just,” Hyewon smiles and breaking the chip into two, “Things.”

“You really look happy Kang-chan.” Sakura said softly, looking beside her and she smiles when she sees Hyewon smiling softly to herself. She just knows that Hyewon is really happy – genuinely happy. “I missed that look. That smile.”

“I missed it too.” Hyewon looked up and stared at the sky, breathing in the air and could smell the hint of saltiness coming from the sea. “I’m sure Sora missed it too.”

“We all missed it.” Sakura said and pulled Hyewon closer by the shoulder, ruffling he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter