jams & money

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyewon opens her eyes, looks at the digital clock and reads the time. Six hours of sleep. Six hours of keeping her eyes closed. That’s enough. She stood up, fixed her bed and tied her hair up in its usual messy bun.

She heard the television outside, and she could tell that Minju is already awake. Hyewon hopes that the girl does not have any hangover, and she hopes that she forgot what she said last night – and hopes to not have any awkwardness. She’s too hopeful that morning.

Walking out of her room, she turns and saw Minju sitting on the couch doing nothing. They shared an eye contact and Hyewon nodded as a greeting, Minju smiles at her and continues watching.

“Did you have breakfast?” Hyewon asks.

Minju shakes her head, “We only have bread.”

Hyewon chuckles, walking over to the kitchen putting in some bread into her toaster.

“It’ll be finish quick; I’ll just wash up.” Hyewon announces and walks over to the bathroom.

Minju smiles turning the volume down of the television, and walks over to the kitchen. As much as she was hungry since she woke up, she never had the nerve to operate that damn toaster again. It looks normal in one’s eye, but it sure as hell only has one master.

So, having Hyewon to wake up at the right time and toasting some bread – Minju could not wait to eat her breakfast. She then heard the bathroom door opening, and Hyewon walking over to the kitchen. As if on cue, the breads are finished and Minju grabs it to put it on a plate.

Like clockwork, Hyewon gets the jam on the fridge. Pulling out the strawberry for Minju, and the too sad of blueberry – only few dashes left and it’s all out. Minju then walks over to the coffee, pouring her some and Hyewon – remembering her usual. 2 creams and sugar.

She walks over to the table, sliding Hyewon’s own coffee earning her a ‘thank you.’ As much as she feels hangover right now, Minju did not forget what she told the other girl last night. And for all she knows, it’s the alcohol talking.

One minute she’s about to enter her room, and by the other she’s waiting for Hyewon and asking her to call her if she ever needs her. Which is absurd. Minju feels like she’s stepping on some unwritten lines between them – like she’s overstepping her boundary as a roommate, can she even call them friends? They’ve already been roommates for a week.

So, she’s thankful that Hyewon didn't knock on her door last night – though she could not deny that there’s a tinge of disappointment accompanied by it. Because if Hyewon ever did it, Minju would not know what to do.

“What time are we going to do some grocery?” Hyewon asks, looking at her phone while sipping her coffee. And Minju frowns, how can the girl tolerate the scalding hot coffee as if she’s drinking water?

“Before lunch?” Minju suggests, “We can have lunch out.”

Hyewon nodded, “Sounds good to me.”

And the conversation ended, Hyewon picks up her mug, goes to the sink and washed it.

“You can have my toast; it seems like you’re really hungry.” Hyewon says and walks away.

And oh, Minu did not notice it but she’s already eating Hyewon share. She blushes and just continued munching on it, she suddenly feels awkward around her. Why did I even drink that damn wine?

Hyewon then walks out of the room holding another book, Minju looks at it and quirks an eyebrow. Unlike before, this one is a novel – Mitch Albom’s The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Hyewon sits on the other end of the couch, and starts reading. Minju just finished her breakfast and washed her own mug, walking over to the couch and sitting on the other end.

Not bothering Hyewon, Minju turns the volume up, enough for her hear and enough to not bother the older girl.

“You like reading?”

Hyewon looks up from her book, “No.”

“I hate it.” Hyewon clarifies.

Minju looks at the girl weirdly, “You always read a book.”

“It’s a requirement.” Hyewon deadpans.

“That also?” Minju asks, pointing at the book Hyewon is currently holding.

Turning a page, not bothering to look up anymore – Hyewon answers. “It’s worth the read.”

“So, you do love reading.”

Hyewon shakes her head, “Not this kind of things.”

Minju chuckles, entertained by the answers that she’s getting.

“You’re into novels, then?”

Hyewon lets out a laugh somehow, she doesn’t find it annoying – Minju asking her questions like these.

“No,” Hyewon laughs, “Letters are not my thing.”

And that earned her a confuse look, which made her chuckle.

“What?”

“This is worth the read,” Hyewon repeats, gesturing for the book she’s holding. “But letters are not my thing.”

“I only read if it’s a requirement or it’s worth the read.” Hyewon continues. “But all in all, it is just not my thing.”

Minju as always is now confused, how can a person read and hate books at the same time – and say letters are not their thing? Hyewon is too much of a puzzle for Minju to finish in one week, because the girl just keeps getting on confusing as time goes by.

And just like that, a comfortable silence surrounds them. Minju simply watching the television, while Hyewon turns pages on her book – both of them occasionally glancing on each other. But Minju did not miss how Hyewon also glances up, as if curious on the second floor. It’s just her office when she has sudden videocall meetings and the grand piano – that her father insisted to be put because it ‘suits’ the apartment.

Then Hyewon shuts her book, folding one of its edge – making Minju frown. Doesn’t she have any bookmark? To each their own. The older girl stands up, stretching.

“I’ll take a shower, it’s almost 11.” Hyewon says, smiling slightly and walks out of the living room and into her own room.

 

//

 

The two of them decided that they should eat lunch first, which is why they found themselves in some weird café located in this shady corner – Minju doesn’t know why she followed Hyewon, but the girl looks like she knows the place.

As they are waiting for their orders, the bell of the café sounded indicating there’s a new customer and to Minju’s surprise it was Yujin. She then squints her eyes, an awfully familiar figure walking beside the girl.

“Yujin!” Hyewon calls the girl, and waves. Yujin heard her and grins, hopping to the older girl pulling the girl she’s with – when she abruptly stops when she saw Minju’s glare.

“Minju-unnie!” Yujin says shakily.

“Yujin, fancy seeing you here,” Minju says lowly, “With Wonyoung, nonetheless.” And she shifts her glare to her younger cousin, sporting a scared look.

“You know each other?” Hyewon asked.

“Yeah,” Minju nods, “She’s my cousin.”

Hyewon makes an ‘oh’ with and nodded, then asked for the two to join them. Yujin and Wonyoung were reluctant, but when they saw Minju’s glare again – they don’t have any choice but to add two new chairs on the table.

Yujin and Wonyoung ordered their own meal, while Hyewon and Minju still waits for their own.

“So,” Hyewon says, trying to start a conversation. The atmosphere seems tense and she doesn’t know why. “I didn’t know that you were cousins.”

“We’re not close.” Minju deadpans, and drinks from her water – earning a slap from Wonyoung.

Hyewon chuckles at the whining of the younger girl, and quirks an eyebrow to Yujin.

“How did you know her?” She asked the girl, and that got Minju’s attention.

“Right, how did you guys know each other?”

Yujin gulped, wanting to bury herself. All she wants was to take Wonyoung and eat here in her favorite café – courtesy of Hyewon introducing it to her, but of all the time that could be there, they stumbled across the two at the same café.

“We share some classes together.” Yujin shortly says, looking at the napkin in front of her – finding it interesting.

Hyewon being the dense person she is continues to talk about the topic, “Oh, is that why you guys were talking in the hallway yesterday?” She asked nonchalantly.

And Minju suddenly wants drag Yujin out and talk to her.

Yujin gulps and prays for Hyewon’s well-being and denseness.

Wonyoung watches as the scene unveils in front of her.

“Right. Yeah.” Yujin mumbles.

“You were laughing so loud with her, I thought you’re going to die.” Hyewon adds.

And Yujin prays to God that Hyewon sleeps soundly at night.

“Why are you guys here, anyway?” Wonyoung decided to in, asking Minju – who seems surprise.

“What?”

“Why are you guys here?” Wonyoung repeated.

Hyewon digging on her nails answered, “We’re going to do some groceries but we decided to eat first.”

Wonyoung gasped at the answer, making Hyewon look at the younger girl questioningly.

“Minju-unnie and groceries? She lives off from take-outs and instant foods.” Wonyoung dramatically says, earning a glare from her cousin.

“Shut up Jang Wonyoung,” And shift her glare to Yujin, “Don’t you dare laugh Ahn Yujin.”

“Oh, I’ll do the cooking.” Hyewon points out.

And Yujin drops her jaw at the declaration, as if it is the most normal thing to do.

“You cook?”

“Uh, yeah?” Hyewon looks at her friend, “You know that.”

“That’s,” Yujin breathes out and smiles, holding Hyewon’s hand to stop her from digging her fingertips. “That’s great.”

Hyewon looks at the younger girl and smile – a smile that says she can manage, that maybe she’s going to be okay – in time.

And Wonyoung and Minju watch the interaction, like Yujin and Hyewon is in their own world – a private moment that the two of them can only understand. Only broken when their orders arrived.

 

Finishing their meal, all of them with happy stomachs – Yujin suddenly remembered something.

“Hyewonnie, will you go to Eunbi-unnie’s place? On Wednesday?”

Hyewon stops and remembers what Sakura told her, “Yeah, Sakura says it’s holiday.”

“Great, unnie is expecting you. She missed you.”

Hyewon rolls her eyes, “She missed someone

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter