PROLOGUE: boxes & toasters

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju’s life is too perfect if you ask anyone. Living on a high-rise apartment, handling a company thanks to her family, everything is just too perfect. Until Hyewon comes along, courtesy of her best friend – Yujin.

“She’ll be a good roommate, I promise.” Yujin declares, with an amazing amount of determination in her eyes.

Minju looks at her, not sure if she should accept. “And if she’s not?”

“Trust me, she’ll be the perfect roommate for you,” Yujin snickers, “Your working hours would be nothing compared to her.”

Minju raised her eyebrows at that, asking an unspoken question to the younger girl.

“She’s older than you by 2 years, but she stopped for some time. So, she’s still in university and also works as a part-time.” Yujin explains.

Feeling like her best friend won’t take no for an answer, “Alright, just bring her to the apartment. But brief her to what and what nots.”

“Thank you, unnie!” Yujin beams and hugged the girl, “Do you have a toaster?”

“No?” Minju answers, confused.

“Great! She loves her toaster and has sentimental value over it. So, it’d be perfect!”

 

//

 

“You found me an apartment, in a high-rise building?” Hyewon deadpans, and stares at Yujin who is beaming at her like the golden retriever she is.

“Yes, you’re welcome.” Yujin rolls her eyes, “Now, come on.”

“You do know that I can live on my own, right?”

“No.” Yujin quickly shuts her down. “Don’t think about it.”

Hyewon just frowns, suddenly feeling small. She just hugs herself more to feel some sort of warmth that could be given by her jacket.

“I’m not broken Yujin-ah.” She softly says, “I don’t want to be a burden.”

“Minju needs someone to live with anyways. She’s too lonely for this life.” Yujin ignores the first thing that Hyewon said, as much as it hurts to hear. But she needs to do this.

“And this is not a legit high-rise,” Yujin air quotes, “It’s just too fancy.”

“Because only big-time people live here.”

“Minju is far from being big time,” Yujin laughs remembering the girl, “She’s too clumsy and dumb.”

Arriving at the door which reads 708, Yujin knocks on the door waiting for it to open. Hyewon just awkwardly stands and wait for it, not entirely sure if she should actually live there. Until it finally opened, revealing a girl – who according to Yujin is younger than her, but looks like she has lived about 3 decades already.

“Unnie! This is Hyewon, the one I’m talking about!” Yujin introduced as she gestures over Hyewon, who only mustered up an awkward smile and nod. She looks at the girl attire and can conclude that whatever she is doing, she is earning a huge amount of money. Who sleeps on a Gucci shirt?

Minju nods and just like what Hyewon did, looks over at her and her attire. As much as she wants to analyze the girl just like what she always does in her employees, she just could not get anything. Hyewon is, for the lack of a better word, too bland and normal. It’s like looking in a black and white paint, where an artist just simply splatters some paint and decided to sell it for millions.

Giving way for the two, Minju stares at Hyewon’s back as Yujin tours her around her own apartment. It’s not much of a difference, the younger girl practically lives there as she always stays there and do things while Minju is at work.

Hyewon listens to Yujin, and looks around. Of course, the owner would have a carpeted floor – because who would not, if you’re loaded then do it. A television on the living room, heck the living room of the apartment beats her old apartment as a whole.

Yujin then drags her to the rooms, telling her where she could sleep. Because of course, the apartment would have three rooms and two bathrooms. Should I just run because this feels too much?

As the younger girl finishes, Minju just waits for them at the living room – grateful that she does not have any work today. Yujin then arrives as she drags the very quiet girl, still observing the place.

“So, everything good?” Minju asked the two.

“Yeah, she lov – “

“A piano?” Hyewon blurts out, as she looks up. Because somehow, weirdly as it is, there’s a grand piano on the second floor. Why didn’t she even notice it when she entered the apartment, and there’s a second floor? What does that even have?

“Oh,” Minju frowns, “Yeah, my father wanted it to be put there last week.”

Yujin gulps, she absolutely missed that. She never knew that there’s this big grand piano on Minju’s apartment. She quickly turns to Hyewon who is already sporting a blank look.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter