promises & luck

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been a few weeks since the others discovered about Hyewon and Minju’s newfound relationship, weeks since Yujin, Sakura, and Yena haven’t let Hyewon breathe whenever they are together. Constantly asking her about Minju, teasing her whenever Hyewon would check her phone – even if she was just casually scrolling through it.

It’s been weeks and the two of them stuck with the words ‘take it slow’, because they are literally taking everything slow. But no matter how slow it was, it seems perfect for Hyewon and Minju – especially with the fact that they both lead two busy lives way before they met.

Their pace was perfect, Hyewon thought that she would be overwhelmed and uncomfortable with their new relationship. But she never felt it, instead she feels like the two of them are walking together going to the same destination – as if this is where they were heading to from the start. Hyewon feels like everything is in place, slowly starting over since the day they went to the hill.

Their busy schedules were never a hindrance to begin with, it’s like nothing has changed – the only difference now is that Minju would sometimes pick up Hyewon at work, especially if she has a morning class the day after. Hyewon would have rejected the idea but one look from Minju was all she needed – the younger wouldn’t accept a ‘no’ as an answer.

Hyewon was currently in one of her late shifts and it was a full house – customers after customers are coming in, and thankfully they have enough people to handle everything. Everyone seems to be enjoying their food, and maybe it was the warm and light atmosphere in the restaurant that made Hyewon smile at every customer she serves.

But work is work, and she is expected to be tired. As soon as she entered the kitchen, away from all the customers’ eyes, she groans out of exhaustion and stretched – putting her tray at the table for a moment.

“It’s really busy tonight, right?” Wendy said, approaching her with a glass of water. “Here, you look beat.”

Hyewon smiled at the older girl and accepted the water, drinking it with big gulps – making Wendy chuckle in amusement.

“Thank you, I needed that.” Hyewon said, feeling all refreshed with just a simple glass of water. Just then, the kitchen door opened and revealed Yena – which of course is in the same state as Hyewon.

“Great, we still have 2 hours left before this shift ends.” Yena whined and grabbed Hyewon’s glass, pouting as she realized that it was already empty. “Unnie, can I have a – “

“On it.” Wendy cuts her off, grabbing the glass and walking away from the two. That’s the great thing about Wendy, she takes care of them like a mother would whenever they enter the kitchen. If it wasn’t a full house, they’re pretty sure that the older girl would give them a few foods that she cooked.

She’s just that amazing.

“Kwangbae, you seriously look tired.” Yena pointed out, looking at her friend from head to toe. It was very obvious that the girl is exhausted, it’s like Hyewon would pass out any moment. “Maybe you should take the front?”

Hyewon shakes her head slightly, “Chaeyeon is on that already”

“I’m sure she would understand Kwangbae,” Yena said, smiling at Wendy as she accepts the glass of water. “You also have an early class tomorrow, it’s fine.”

“But – “

“Take the front.”

The two of them looked at the direction of the voice only to see Chaeyeon standing there with Sakura. The former grabbing the forgotten tray that Hyewon laid on the table and gave the pen to the girl.

“I’m fine doing the hard job; I’ve been standing there for 3 hours now. it’s getting boring.” Chaeyeon said with a shrug, “Don’t worry, it’s fine.” She reassured Hyewon with a smile.

The girl returned the smile, accepting the pen from Chaeyeon. “Okay, thank you.”

“I’ll be going to the front now.” Hyewon said, leaving the three dumbfounded. Hyewon didn’t even put a fight, they were expecting for the girl to insist to do the serving for the customers. It was always like that before, as if Hyewon doesn’t want to accept small help from anyone – even if it was a little bit of help.

Sakura watches her friend walking out of the kitchen, the small smile that Hyewon was sporting as she walks pass her. It was then that she noticed that Hyewon has a certain glow in her, a certain change – though it was small and subtle changes, but it was there.

“Minju is a great influence on her, don’t you think?” Chaeyeon said out loud, earning a nod from the two.

“They’re great for each other.” Sakura said, “I’ve missed this Hyewon but…” She trails off slowly.

“But this is her starting over, a new yet old Hyewon.” Yena said with a hopeful sigh, “Never imagine that this day would come, it’s unexpected.”

“All the best things in life come in the most unexpected times.” Chaeyeon said quietly, catching Sakura’s look and sharing a sweet smile.

Yena groans out loud in disgust, walking in between the two to stop them from the staring. “Okay, that was a great line but that doesn’t give you the right to be disgusting with Sakura.”

The three laughed together but suddenly stopped when they heard the bell ringing, reminding them that they are still on the clock. Grimacing, they all went out together – smiling to the customers and serving them.

Sakura looked out at the front and saw Hyewon smiling as she gestures for the new customers to enter. She looks down at the younger girl’s hand and unlike before, she didn’t feel any sadness on the way Hyewon was tapping the table softly – as if she was playing a piano. Sakura feels hopeful that everything is finally going great for them – for all of them. With the way Hyewon was smiling as she stares at her own hands, the Japanese girl knows that her friend feels it too.

 

It’s been a long time coming, and finally they are seeing the light that they have been waiting for.

It was worth the wait – and they could wait much more to finally reach that light.

 

/

 

Hyewon closed her locker, all changed to her usual clothes as they just finished their shift. She couldn’t be anymore grateful that she accepted to switch with Chaeyeon for the remaining two hours. She feels really tired from everything – grabbing her bag, she walks out of the staff room and was welcomed with the sight of Minju talking to her friends, waiting for her like she said.

She approached them with a smile, with the others returning it with a tired smile except for Minju.

“All good?” Hyewon asked the others, Sakura and Chaeyeon standing up from the chair they were occupying.

“Yeah, we’re just waiting for you. You slowpoke.” Yena said with a teasing tone, but all of them could hear the hint of tiredness from the girl’s voice.

Hyewon then looked at Minju, the younger girl just standing there quietly waiting for her. “Did you wait long?”

Minju shakes her head slightly, “No, or I just didn’t notice it since they kept me busy.” She said pointing at the other three girls.

“Well, let’s go?” Hyewon said, gesturing for all of them to go out. Sakura then closed the restaurant, double checking everything before approaching the group. They would have done their usual ritual to drink the leftover alcohol but it seems like everyone is not in the mood – all of them are craving to just lay down and sleep.

“We’ll go now then, take care you two.” Sakura said hugging Hyewon and Minju, Chaeyeon and Yena did the same – mumbling their farewells to each other.

It was obvious that they are all tired as they didn’t even bother to tease the two – it’s not like Hyewon missed it though. She and Minju didn’t enter the car until they saw the three turning the corner, with one last wave, Minju unlocked the car and gestured for Hyewon to enter.

“How was work?” Minju asked the older girl, fixing her own seatbelt. She watches Hyewon doing the same before starting the engine.

“Tiring, it was really busy today.” Hyewon said, massaging the nape of her neck. She could already feel her body being sore the day after – maybe accepting Minju’s offer to pick her up was great idea after all.

“I could tell, you guys are close to passing out.” Minju said with a worried tone, “Can I drive you tomorrow morning?”

Hyewon chuckles at the question, knowing that even if she rejected the offer – Minju would obviously still insist. “And if I said no?”

“The more reasons I’ll drive you.”

“That’s your answer then.” Hyewon said with a laugh, “Come on, I want to go home and sleep.”

Minju frowns before driving away, it was only 5-minute drive anyway. “Be sure to wash up before you go to bed.”

Hyewon looks at the younger girl, not hiding the amusement in her eyes. “And if I didn’t?”

Minju glanced at the girl, rolling her eyes before returning her attention to the road. “I like you but don’t push it.”

Hearing the laugh coming from Hyewon, Minju couldn’t help but let out a chuckle as well. But if she was being honest, maybe she could spend a night even if Hyewon didn’t wash up – it’s not like the latter smells disgusting. But Hyewon doesn’t need to know that.

 

/

 

The past few weeks for Minju were full of meetings, deals being closed, negotiations being pushed through, tolerating entitled businessmen – it was stressful if she was being honest. The only time that she could enjoy herself is when Chaewon would suddenly visit her office to invite her for lunch or just to rest for a few minutes.

She has a very packed schedule and she expected to always go straight to her bed and doze off, but it seems like the exhaustion always go away every time she goes home. It’s funny how she never thinks her apartment as a ‘home’ before, but now that Hyewon is there – just the thought of going home to the older girl, it makes everything light.

A tiring day would be nothing as long as Hyewon would always be there to welcome her – spending the past few weeks with Hyewon was probably the best ones yet. With every blurred line now clear between them, it was the best thing Minju could hope for.

They did agree to take their relationship slow, and Minju doesn’t have any problem with that. Taking things slow would be the best thing to do, as this relationship is unusual – though it’s not like all relationships are the same. But this relationship is something that Minju holds close to her heart – she wants to make it work.

She wants to make them work.

Minju knows that Hyewon is doing her part – slowly opening up things about herself to Minju, accepting help not just from Minju but from anyone offering it whenever Hyewon needs it. She knows that it’s difficult for Hyewon to do some things, the older girl was so used to bear every weight and problem for herself – that asking for help seems to be adding another problem for her.

And Minju does the same – always staying at the older girl’s side, always ready to help and guide Hyewon whenever the latter needs her. Minju knows that Hyewon will not get rid of her habit of putting everyone’s need first which is why she promised herself that she would take care of Hyewon with the best of her ability.

Entering her office, she was not surprise to see Chaewon already there. With all of her meetings happening, Chaewon became the first person she would see every time she arrives at work. Always briefing her about her schedule for the day and whatnot.

“Drove Hyewon?” Chaewon asked, gesturing for the document she just put on the girl’s desk. Minju nodded in response, sitting on her chair and opening the folder in front of her. This has been her usual routine every morning – it but it’s not like she can do anything about it.

“Yeah, she was really tired last night from her shift. If I didn’t drive her, I’m sure she’d walk without any hesitation.” Minju answered, skimming through the pages of the document.

Chaewon looks at her friend with a small smile, despite having a busy schedule for a few weeks now, Minju has never complained about anything – the girl has everything in control. But what makes her genuinely happy is that she has never seen Minju this laidback. The Minju before was as plain and uptight as anyone could get, often talking about work, staying late in the office as if it was the end of the world.

The others are eternally grateful for Minju because of how she helped Hyewon – because of how she is helping Hyewon. But what they didn’t know is that Hyewon is also a great help for Minju, the latter has never been happier as she is right now. It was refreshing to see, to finally see Minju doing the thing that she genuinely likes – to see Minju liking, or even falling for someone.

But looking down at her tablet, Chaewon bits her lips – life will never be easy for her friend. “Your mom emailed me.”

That made Minju pause for second, before continuing reading her document. It’s weird for her mother to formally email Chaewon, she could just text Minju if she wanted to meet her – which means that whatever her mother is planning, it would be about business.

“Yeah? What did she say?”

“She and your father would be having lunch with you.”

Her father has been checking on her more frequently than before, but for her mother to join – Minju is getting skeptical with everything. “And Taeyong?”

Chaewon shakes her head, reading the email again just to be sure that the said guy is not mentioned. “No mention of his name, it seems like it would just be the three of you.”

Minju rolls her eyes, “Hooray for family bonding.” She said sarcastically.

Chaewon gave the girl a worried glance, deciding to ask her friend about one big issue – about something important. “Do they know about you and Hyewon?”

Minju stopped what she was doing completely, feeling the weighted question that Chaewon just threw at her. She looked up at Chaewon and just with her eyes, the girl knows that Minju realized and saw the bigger picture.

A beat.

“Does Hyewon know about you and Taeyong?”

Just like that, Minju feels like she would have a severe headache for the whole day. She was too wrapped up with her newfound bubble with Hyewon that she forgot the other people that are involved in her life.

Chaewon sighs before standing up, “Hyewon needs to know as soon as possible Minju.”

“But that engagement with Taeyong is not even – “

“But still,” Chaewon cuts her off with a sharp tone, “It needs to come from you, it’s better than keeping it a secret.”

With that, she took her leave – also leaving Minju by herself. The latter staring at the document she was reading earlier, and all she could see was gibberish words and numbers – she couldn’t understand anything at the moment.

Grabbing her phone, she quickly sent a text to someone – hoping for a reply. She smiles when in a few seconds, she received one.

I miss you.

Minju

Stop being clingy.

Hyewon

I miss you too, though.

Hyewon

 

 //

 

Sakura slowly blinks her eyes open, stretching her limbs and feeling another weight from her side. Smiling sleepily, she looks to her side to see Chaeyeon – still sleeping soundly. She doesn’t know why but it seems like everyone were really tired from their shift, glancing at the clock she saw that it was almost 10 in the morning.

Yeah, definitely tired. Sakura thought to herself.

Turning to her side, Sakura snuggled closer to Chaeyeon – the latter tightening her hold on the older girl’s waist. It’s always been like this for them since the day the three of them – she, Chaeyeon, and Eunbi talked. That talk was long overdue, Sakura thought that everything would be alright when Chaeyeon and Eunbi talk alone.

But it seemed like Sakura was also needed for that talk – though she knows that she was not involved with Chaeyeon and Eunbi’s problem, it seems much more proper for her to join the two. After all, Sakura is Chaeyeon’s girlfriend.

“What time is it?” Chaeyeon asked groggily, refusing to let go of Sakura. Their shift last night was hectic, it’s the typical full house shift but maybe it was the continuous work that made them all feel tired.

“10 in the morning.” Sakura answered quietly, feeling Chaeyeon nod against her neck.

“Did Hyewon manage to get up?”

Sakura frowns, remembering that Hyewon does have an early class that day. She grabs for her phone to see if the girl sent her a message – smiling when she saw one.

Got up and Minju will drive me. Don’t worry, have a great day!

Hyewon

“Yeah, Minju drove her.” Sakura answered before putting her phone down and quickly laying down again. Chaeyeon chuckled when she felt the older girl playing with her hair and snuggling closer to her.

“Hyewon is…” Chaeyeon trails off, remembering how Hyewon was for the past few weeks. Every time she thinks or notices the slight changes of the girl, she couldn’t stop the smile forming on her lips. For Hyewon to meet Minju at this time, it was indeed unexpected.

The news about Hyewon moving to a new apartment with a roommate, courtesy of Yujin, was a huge news for them. They didn’t expect for the girl to agree with it but what they didn’t expect is for Minju to slowly creep into their friend’s life – into their circle.

“Doing great.” Sakura finished the younger girl’s words, looking straight into Chaeyeon’s eyes – she smiled. “I’m really happy for her, I can’t explain it in words but I feel like everything is finally going to the right direction.”

“The right direction for all of us.” Chaeyeon said with a smile, because that was the truth. Every single one of them is doing great in life, Yujin and Wonyoung taking things slow with everything they have, Yena and Yuri still doing great in their relationship, Hitomi and Nako still their usual bubbly selves.

Her relationship with Sakura is stronger than ever but other than that, the most important thing for her is her friendship with Eunbi. After that talk – their talk, everything just became brighter, like a huge weight was lifted from her shoulders – a weight that she has been keeping for years.

“Eunbi is coming by the way.” Sakura announced, suddenly remembering the older girl’s message right before she went to sleep last night. “After lunch, she said.”

Chaeyeon widened her eyes, quickly sitting up and looking around – the room was a mess, and she’s sure that the whole apartment is in a complete mess. They haven’t cleaned anything for weeks since they were too busy – and of course, laziness played into account. But the thing is, everything is a mess and Eunbi is coming – they are surely going to get a good scolding from the older girl.

“And you just said that now?!” Chaeyeon exclaimed, standing up and started cleaning up – grabbing some wrappers and papers that were scattered around the room.

“We can clean later. We still have a few hours left.” Sakura whined, not wanting to get up from the bed.

“You do know that we haven’t cleaned anything, right? A few hours won’t be enough to actually clean the whole apartment.”

“Chaeyeon, please…” The Japanese girl continued which earned a glare from Chaeyeon.

“Clean or I’ll tell Eunbi-unnie how much of a slacker you are.”

“Slacker in what way?” Sakura pouted, sitting up from the bed.

“Oh, I don’t Saku-chan, maybe from the empty instant noodle cups all stacked on your computer table? Or the ramen bowl that you used 3 nights ago?”

Sakura gulped because there were indeed a stacked of cups on her table, grimacing at the sight because it really looks disgusting.

“I could go all day Saku-chan, but I’m sure Eunbi-unnie could do tha – “

“Alright, I’ll help now!” Sakura quickly stands up, helping the younger girl clean. Chaeyeon smirks in victory, it seems like Eunbi’s effect is still useful. They both know that if the older girl sees their apartment, they would hear her the whole day – and it’s not an ideal thing to have.

 

/

 

Minju’s mind has been working since the morning but the thing is, she couldn’t completely focus on her work – often thinking about her conversation with Chaewon. It just doubled because of the scheduled lunch she will be having with her parents – but she was not nervous. She’s not nervous about telling her relationship with Hyewon but rather she was worried how they would take it when she demands for her petty engagement with Taeyong to put into end.

They knew that Minju never wanted that in the first but she has never outright told them about it – which was something she regrets now. She should have been vocal about it but it is what it is, Minju should focus in the present – which is how to finally be vocal about it and say that she’s in a relationship with Hyewon. She’ll start doing that and at the same time, break the news to Hyewon.

She knows that there’s a huge chance that her parents – specifically her father, would object the idea. Which is why she needs to prepare herself – and her relationship with Hyewon as well. Chaewon was right, she needs to tell it to Hyewon as soon as possible – it would be much better to tell it herself rather than coming from someone else.

Rubbing her temple, she looks at the time only to see she has an hour before her parents arrive. Chaewon didn’t tell her any specific time, but she just assumed that it would be around 12 in the afternoon. Minju does not have any idea what will happen with their lunch but she hopes it would be a good one – after all, it’s been so long since the three of them spent time together.

 

/

 

“Why did I even join you two?” Hyewon asked as she stares unamused to the two taller girls in front of her. They were currently having a spare; it just so happens that Yujin and Wonyoung ‘coincidentally’ had the same spare as she has. Which is why she was dragged out of the campus to eat with the two.

She didn’t have any problem with it, none at all. But seeing how Yujin and Wonyoung act in front of her – they were sickeningly sweet to each other. Hyewon is not sure if they are usually like that, or Yujin planned it to annoy the heck out of her. Rolling her eyes, Hyewon looks round to see that the café is not that crowded – as expected since most classes would end around 12:30 and it was just 11:30 in the afternoon.

Fishing out her phone, she d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter