cafes & teas pt. 2

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyeon and Eunbi have been friends way before they met the whole gang, they were both in the same dance class that they always attend to since they were young. But despite that, they didn’t become friends that quick – it only happened when Eunbi approached Chaeyeon as the latter had a change in schedule and the girl was looking lost. Chaeyeon couldn’t help but to be grateful when Eunbi approached her when she was standing at the corner of the dance room, having no one to talk to.

Though Chaeyeon was timid and shy at first, especially knowing Eunbi is older than her and one of the people that everyone respects in the class, the older girl managed to make Chaeyeon slowly talk to her comfortably. It was a gradual process but it felt natural for them, with their similarities having motherly instincts with Eunbi being older taking care of Hitomi and Nako and Chaeyeon an older sister – it’s a weird bonding, but they made it work somehow.

They have similarities but there were also differences on the way but somehow, they managed to talk it out – hearing each other’s opinions and agreeing on one thing in the end. That made their friendship work and helped them grow, but with it comes one inevitable thing – it’s a connection that they had that not everyone has the privilege to experience. Which is why one of them is bound to fall for the other and in their case, it was Eunbi.

It was something that everyone had expected to happen, everyone surrounding them already knew that it would happen eventually – everyone but Chaeyeon. So, when the older girl confessed to her, Chaeyeon was overwhelmed by it. It happened after one late night dance class, Hitomi and Nako were not present because they have some friends asking for them to hangout – people who came from Japan they said, it was normal to navigate to people who you feel a certain connection with.

“Hey, Chaeyeon.” Eunbi said as she fixes her bag and putting the strap over her shoulders. They were the only ones left in the room; it was always like that for them since they started talking. Times like this would be when they would open about their worries and whatnot, things that they found random – meaningless conversations that only the two of them would know the meaning of. Which is why this is the perfect time for Eunbi to express her feelings for the younger girl.

Chaeyeon looked up from her shoes and nods her head, asking for Eunbi to continue. The older girl didn’t though, waiting for Chaeyeon to stand up before she says anything. She watches Chaeyeon checking her things inside her bag before standing up, taking a deep breath Eunbi gathers her courage. She just wants to express the things she has been feeling for the past months for the younger girl, it’s been eating her up and she knows this is the best route. Reciprocated or not, she just needs to do this – they are mature enough to handle this kind of things.

“Unnie, what is it? Are you okay?” Chaeyeon asked worriedly, noticing that Eunbi is trying to catch her breath. She sees the older girl nodding her head, and opening her eyes. Chaeyeon was surprised because Eunbi’s eyes are determined – like she would do something out of the ordinary.

And she did.

“Chaeyeon, I’m going to be honest here,” Eunbi says and there was a slight waver in her voice, but she ignored it and continued. “I like you.”

It was anticlimactic in her opinion, inside a dark dance room – no fancy words to start and went straight to the point. But it still made her giddy, Eunbi watches Chaeyeon and she could see the confusion in the younger girl’s face.  Before Chaeyeon asks her, she beats her to it.

“When I say I like you, I like you more than a friend.” Eunbi clarifies, her hold on her bag strap tightening hoping it will give her the strength that she needs to continue and explain herself. It’s funny how she doesn’t expect anything but at the same time, hoping for Chaeyeon to feel something.

“I can’t stop thinking about you, our talks every after practices. The things we disagree on but in the end, we would find a common ground, and that day when you transferred in our class.” Eunbi says quietly looking up from the ground, “I think approaching you that day was the best thing I did, because it made me feel things that I never imagined I would feel for someone.”

“I like you Chaeyeon,” Eunbi whispered, afraid that she might scare the girl off. “I like you and I just want to say it to you directly because you deserve to know it.”

Chaeyeon stood there frozen, she never expected for Eunbi to confess to her – it made her confuse with her feelings for the older girl. Especially since the thought of liking girls never crossed her mind – liking anyone never crossed her mind, maybe it was because she was really busy for school and dance that she never thought of it.

She thinks about everything that happened between them, the conversations the gestures – Chaeyeon thought it was all normal, she never thought of anything more than that. But seeing Eunbi’s nervousness and the sincerity in her eyes, she knows that the older girl mustered up every ounce of courage just to say that to her.

But the thing is, Chaeyeon does not know what to say – she’s not sure if she could reject Eunbi or accept her confession, because she’s not sure with her feelings herself. Instead, she said nothing but walked closer to the older girl and hugged the latter tightly – hoping it conveyed something that the two of them would understand. What she didn’t know that it was the worst thing to do to someone who just confessed to you – to not be honest and be confused. To not give a concrete answer to someone hoping for one.

Because with that hug and the days that came after, Chaeyeon didn’t realize that she led Eunbi on. She might have reciprocated the actions – the extra care, time spent together, the attention that Eunbi gave her, she all reciprocated it. She doesn’t understand it at first but she liked the extra attention that the older girl was giving her – it makes her feel protected, special, and warm. Maybe which is why she thought to herself that she likes Eunbi – but up to what extent?

One event made her realize that she might like Eunbi but not as much as the older girl likes her. Because with the way they act around each other, it is bound to be noticed by the people around them – specifically her parents.

It happened one dinner, it was a usual thing for them to converse as they eat – catching up to each other and sharing stories. But what Chaeyeon didn’t expect is for them to ask her about Eunbi, though they always ask about the latter but at that moment – just with the glint of their eyes, she knows that they know there is something going on between her and Eunbi. And Chaeyeon, she just got scared.

It’s funny how there was no silence after they asked that but Chaeyeon feels like there’s a pin drop silence surrounding them, or was it just her imagination? She looked down at her half-eaten rice, avoiding her parents looks.

“No, what are you talking about?” Chaeyeon said in the most casual voice she could muster, she feels her heart clenching not because of denying what she has with Eunbi but because she realized that she was confused – she confused her sisterly love for the older girl as something more. Because she realized that she may have like the older girl but it was not to the extent that she would see herself loving her.

“We’re just friends, we just really care for each other like that.” And when she glanced to her side, she could see Chaeryeong furrowing her eyebrows as if asking her what she was saying – her little sister was aware of everything even without saying it. Chaeyeon discreetly shakes her head and continued eating, thankful that their parents dropped the subject.

That’s how Chaeyeon started distancing herself from the older girl, it was a subtle change – but it slowly became evident, especially when Chaeyeon started going home as soon as dance classes end. She would make up excuses and she couldn’t bear to see the slight hurt forming on Eunbi’s face every time she says her excuses.

How the older girl’s eyes would dim a tad bit every time Chaeyeon would say the first word ‘sorry’ then proceeding to make up an excuse, hastily going out of the room. How Chaeyeon slowly started noticing how Eunbi also distanced herself though still cares for her deeply – never forgetting to give her water every after practice, how Eunbi would always look at her from across the room waiting for her to pack up.

Slowly, their distance between each other became too big that when they are hanging out with Hitomi and Nako and would be left alone, they will be left in an awkward silence – something that never happened before. Where before they have every random topic to talk about only to turn into the most awkward conversation the two ever had, and Chaeyeon appreciates Eunbi for trying – but she hates herself for doing this to the older girl.

Why can’t she just reject the girl right then and there?

She asks herself that again and again, and the only answer she could come up is because she’s scared. Scared of what? Of losing Eunbi, or hurting the older girl? A mix of both, she guessed.

Then one day, the two of them were invited by Hitomi and Nako to meet their friends from Japan and that’s how she met Sakura. It was not love at first sight but Chaeyeon was definitely sure she finds the Japanese girl intriguing – the aura she exudes and the care and close relationship she has with the twins. Starting from that day, their visits to Sora and Hyewon’s became a routine for the four of them and every time they visit, she will navigate through the room and find Sakura’s side. They were never close, but standing by the girl’s side just made her feel something.

Their conversations during that time was nothing compared to what she and Eunbi had – but somehow, she finds it special. Every single words and random things that the older Japanese says would leave a burning mark inside her mind and would stay there forever – a thing she wouldn’t want to forget.

“How did you guys meet?” Chaeyeon asked one day, the other girls are playing some Mario Kart while the others are out to buy some snacks with Eunbi.

Sakura glanced at her and smiles, “Me and the twins? Sora threw a snowball and it started there.”

Chaeyeon chuckles because it seems like a funny start of a friendship but it was a very great one. “Hyewon,” She says staring at the girl who is currently leaning chin on her palm, watching the game boringly. “She’s a hard nut to crack, isn’t she?”

“For others, maybe.” Sakura answers and smiles, “But she’s just selective of everything, she shows her cracks but it doesn’t mean she will flaunt it.”

“What do you mean?”

“She prefers to protect her friends than to be protected,” Sakura answers, “It keeps her living.”

“All of her friends but Sora, right?” Chaeyeon tilts her head and doesn’t even need to hear the answer because as soon as the door opened with snacks and the loud shout coming from the other twin – the bright smile forming on Hyewon’s face. Chaeyeon is sure that Sora is one of those privileged people to see Hyewon’s scars freely without any precaution.

“Everyone but Sora.” Sakura confirmed and nodded her head.

“Aren’t you jealous? You’ve been with them for so long but…” Chaeyeon trails off as she sees Sakura shaking her head.

“It’s hard to find a bond like that, you know? They’re basically soulmates in a form of twins.” Sakura chuckles and sighs wistfully, “I do feel jealous because I hope to find someone with that kind of bond, to just know what you’re feeling with one glance, to know that you’re down with one sigh. It’s, it’s a beautiful thing to have.”

“I think everyone is jealous because they hope to have something like that.” Sakura said nodding her head over the direction of the twins, Sora annoying Hyewon and though the latter is frowning, Chaeyeon could tell that Hyewon cares deeply for her sister. “May it be as a sister, as a friend, or as your partner.”

“To find a soulmate in someone,” Sakura chuckles and smiles slightly, “It’s a concept I’ve always hoped for.”

Just then, Sakura looked at Chaeyeon and maybe it was just the younger girl or maybe it was the both of them – but as soon as their eyes connected, it feels like they understand each other. A click of some sort, a connection – or was it just her damn imagination?

And Chaeyeon might have been too focus on the connection that she forgot one thing – a pair of eyes staring at them from the distance, and quickly diverting her gaze from the two. But it didn’t go unnoticed by Hyewon as she follows Eunbi who sat beside Nako and Hitomi, diverting her gaze from the older girl and looking at Sakura and Chaeyeon at the side.

She sighs and shakes her head, and she hears Sora whispering to her. “What is it?”

Hyewon chuckles and glanced at the girl, “I think you already know.”

“I thought it’s my imagination.” Sora said cheekily making H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter