shifts & take-outs

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyewon blinks carefully adjusting her sight to the light, she released a quiet yawn and looked at the digital clock. 8:00 AM it read. She does not even remember what time she really fell asleep, but judging from the stinging feeling from her eyes, she cried again.

She stood up, fixing her bed and getting her glasses on the table. As she was tying her hair up, she heard some mutters and curses and some words about ‘stupid’ and ‘toaster’. Hyewon just sighed and walked out of her room, walking straight to the kitchen.

Just like yesterday, her new roommate – Minju, is scraping the burnt side of the toast. Hyewon would have laugh at her but she’s not in the mood to talk, with her massive headache. She just walks over to the girl, grabbing the toast and throwing it again.

Minju just watched her and she just nodded her head to the fridge, gesturing for her to get the jam again. Hyewon then set the toaster at the right setting, it seems like Minju changed it – she doesn’t even know why.

“Are you okay?”

Hyewon turned around and saw Minju looking at her worriedly, she could only frown and nodded her head. Because why wouldn’t she be okay?

“It seems like you cried.” Minju points out.

Right, Hyewon’s eyes are swollen. She thought her glasses would hide that fact, but glasses are really not some great disguise. Now she wonders how Superman or Clark Kent hide his identity with just a pair of glasses, or are people just that plain stupid?

“Hyewon?”

That snapped her out from her thought, and quickly looked at the girl. Still waiting for answer. She wants to say that she’s alright, that it’s nothing to be worried about but instead.

“None of your business.” Hyewon winced internally, she did not mean that. It’s like an automatic response. To people. To everything.

And the way she saw Minju’s face fall, but changed quickly to a stoic face – Hyewon could not help but to feel guilty, something tugs in her heart. Of course, the girl did not deserve it. She wants to apologize.

Then the toasted released a ding.

Minju walked past her grabbing the bread, and went straight to the table. Not even sparing Hyewon a glance, she ate her breakfast.

Hyewon just breathed out, she does not know what to do. It’s too awkward for her liking, it’s too suffocating. This atmosphere is too heavy for her to handle, she wants to talk, to apologize, but she could not even do anything. She could only just walk away, enter her room and sit on her bed.

Why am I still here? Hyewon thought.

Then she heard the door shut, indicating Minju is already out. And Hyewon suddenly felt cold.

Maybe it’s just the air conditioner. Hyewon knows it’s not.

 

//

 

Minju does not know why but she is raging inside, she was just worried with the state of her roommate. Going out in her room with swollen eyes, but moving around as if nothing is wrong. Then the minute she asks the girl, she was just brushed off – as if she was just nothing.

She might sound petty, or too nosy even. But she doesn’t care, Hyewon could have just smiled and shook her head to say it was nothing, or tell her it was nothing. Not hissing at her telling her it was none of her business. Well technically, it is not. But who would not worry about your new roommate if she went out like that out of her room, after a night shift?

So maybe, which is why she is letting out all her rage to her employees – which is a douchebag move if you ask her. But she could not help it, she just hates rude people – especially if you’re living with someone. Why did I even accept Yujin’s suggestion?

So, when the afternoon came, she as visited by her secretary – which is also her friend, Chaewon.

“Can you please stop shouting at your employees?”

Minju just ignored her and continued typing on her computer, “Not now, Chaewon.”

“You need to leave.” Chaewon announced.

Minju stopped and looked at her, confusion in her face, “What?”

“We have those monthly maintenance going, they could not do it on the weekend.”

“And I just learned it now?” Minju hissed.

“I told you last week,” Chaewon rolled her eyes, “You said you were listening so I didn’t bother to repeat it.”

Minju just closed her eyes, this is one of the days where she does not want to go back to her apartment. But in the end, she complied – it’s not like she could control the maintenance team. She stood up from her seat, collected her things.

“What’s gotten into you anyways?” Chaewon questioned, curious as to why her best friend is suddenly so grumpy.

“Just a bad morning.”

Chaewon snorted, “Must be a hell of a morning to bring it to your own employees.”

Minju ignored her. She just hopes Hyewon has classes for the day, as much as she wants to respect the girl for being 2 years older – she just couldn’t do it. She is just plain rude.

 

/

 

Of course, Hyewon does not have any classes that day. Of course, she would be in the living room reading a book – because that is just how she is, is that book about business? Minju frowns, she didn’t know that she’s a business major. She scoffs internally to herself, with her rudeness, Minju doubts that the girl would have any future in the field.

Hyewon then felt her presence, glancing to the girl. Minju thought she would just ignore her, but to her surprise, Hyewon nodded to her – and Minju could only stare back at the girl, who quickly turned her head to read again.

Minju just went to her room and changed her working attire to a much more comfortable ones, she’s contemplating if she should go and stay at the living room but feeling her hunger – she knew that she needs food in her system.

She quickly padded to her kitchen looking for food when she heard a soft voice behind her.

“I cooked some food,” Hyewon said from behind, “I used some things in your kitchen and managed to whip up some soup and grilled some meat.”

Again, Minju was surprised. This is the longest thing that the girl said to her, and just at what she said, there are food in the table. Minju suddenly felt the hunger again, and nodded to Hyewon.

“Right, thanks.” Minju muttered, grabbing a chair and eating the food that was prepared.

Hyewon just walked away as if not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter