violins & compositions

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They say that having siblings means that automatically having a group of friends that would annoy you until you guys die, having a support system in times of trouble, giving you some fact checks when no one has the guts to. They say having a sibling is a blessing in disguise.

But in Hyewon’s case she magically gained a twin sister – 3 minutes after she was conceived, another one followed.

Having a twin is not always the case for everyone – but Hyewon managed to experience it, it’s like you are each other’s halves. You could feel one of you is sad just with one look, you could feel happiness, you want to share all the good things and bad things to them first. A soulmate. That’s what having a twin feels like.

The first thing that Hyewon could remember in her childhood is being in a room with her twin – Sora, various instruments in front of them. Being only 4-year old at that time, they don’t know what to do. They could see their parents looking at them with anticipation. Hyewon just stares blankly, but she could feel how giddy Sora is beside her.

She then feels the warmth emitting from her twin leaving, she turns to look at the girl going somewhere and she just watches. Sora went to get a stick – Hyewon frowns, there are many sticks outside. She then looks up to see their parents looking at her, and then she saw the chair behind them.

Without thinking, she just goes over there and sat. Leaning her head and being surprised to hear sound coming from the white and black rectangles. Sora is suddenly beside her, still holding the stick and something on her other hand.

She giggles at Hyewon and said, “Again! Again!”

And so, Hyewon pushed the white key again and Sora giggles, waving her stick in the air.

That’s the first time they held their first instruments – a piano and a violin.

Hyewon just feels happy seeing the smile at Sora’s face, and so continues doing it – pressing keys that she doesn’t know of, producing sound that sometimes irks her but Sora’s giggles were enough.

She is enough.

They were five when they first got their lesson, Sora with the violin while Hyewon with the piano. They always have their lessons together inside the room – their teacher Henry and Seohyun respectively, are fine with it. Often giving them instructions how to play together.

“They’re a genius.” Henry said to their parents, Hyewon is busy looking at Sora who is teaching her how to hold a bow.

“You don’t have to worry. It seems like Hyewon has a perfect pitch.” And their parents just beamed at that.

But the two didn’t notice, lost in their own world. Hyewon frowning as she finds it hard how to hold the bow not seeing the difference between her and Sora’s hold.

“That’s not how you hold it dummy.”

“I don’t see the difference.” Hyewon sticks her tongue making Sora laugh. She smiles and she’ll be a dummy as long as she hears Sora’s laugh again.

Hyewon was 6 when she first had it – panic attack. It was during their first recitals, Sora just finished her piece and smiling at her wishing her a good luck. Hyewon musters up a smile and walks over the stage – she doesn’t know why their parents invited so many people just for them to hear them play.

It was just her and Sora – a pianist and violinist in the making. Nothing too special about two twin sisters.

But then she stares at the audience, their eyes full of expectations. Hyewon then turns to face the piano, her small fingers resting above the keys, and suddenly she couldn’t breathe. She tries to find something – to look at her parents, but they are frowning. Hyewon could read their eyes – disappointment.

And suddenly she’s at the back stage. With Seohyun helping her breathe, while Sora looks at her worriedly. But Hyewon is determined, she looks at Sora and said, “Play with me?”

Hyewon could see Sora smile widely and nodded. Seohyun steps back and watches the two sisters walk out hand in hand. Hyewon sat in front of the piano, Sora ready to start to play.

Audience watches in awe.

And Hyewon pressed the first key – a new composition was born. Made by a 6 -year old girl, and it’s amazing how the violinist knows how to keep up with her.

A prodigy.

The twin sisters are expected to be prodigies.

Hyewon was seven when she realized that she and Sora are different – wherein Sora could play and interact with others, while she chooses to watch from the side. Only going to see if Sora is hurt. Maybe that’s why she chose to be quiet all the time.

She promised to herself that she’ll protect Sora – being 3 minutes of an unnie to her, she will protect her. Hyewon prefers to be the light that could shine over her twin, because Sora deserves to be known.

It was winter when they first had their first friend who is older than them, it was actually an accident. Sora is being her playful self, throwing snowballs at Hyewon outside their house while she dodges it. Suddenly, Sora’s throw was too strong hitting another person. The both of them had their eyes wide, and Sora quickly ran to the person with her small legs.

Hyewon follows her, of course – something bad might happen to Sora.

That was when they met Sakura. A year older than them.

“Sorry, I threw it too strong.” Sora apologized in Japanese and the girl just shakes her head.

“It’s alright. But we can be friends if you want?” The girl suggested and Hyewon frowns, walking over to her sister protectively. Then Sora being her friendly self, nodded.

“Sure, I’m Kang Sora!” She introduced herself and points at Hyewon, “And this grump here is my twin, Kang Hyewon!”

The girl just smiled at them bowing, “Nice to meet you! I’m Miyawaki Sakura!”

They were 7 and it was winter when they first met Sakura.

They were 8 when Hyewon felt it again from her parents the disappointment. It was when they asked her to play at one of their parties that Hyewon doesn’t want to attend, but she refused to do so. Sora is just beside her looking at them, but mostly at Hyewon worriedly.

“It’s just a party, you need to show them your composition.” Her father told her but Hyewon just shakes her head in response.

“I don’t even want to attend the party,” Hyewon said, “Can’t we just celebrate your birthday as a family?”

Her father just sighed in annoyance – because if Sora always complies with their wants, Hyewon always refuses to do so.

“Fine if you won’t then I know Sora will. Right, honey?” Her father looks at Sora who just blinks, and Hyewon smiles at her.

Sora nodded at her father, “Can I play Wonnie’s composition?” She asked not at her father but to her sister. Hyewon just beams and nodded. “Of course, I compose for you.”

Their father left them to do their thing, and Hyewon started asking questions to Sora what kind of piece she wants to play. The latter happily answered.

Then the party came, people that Hyewon doesn’t know. Her hold on her sister not getting loose as they look for their friend Sakura – they invited her because they want someone to talk to. Soon they found the girl at the corner playing her console. They approached her and started talking together in Japanese, telling them about the new anime that she’s been watching.

Then Sora was called to perform, and Hyewon smiles at her sister. Giving her a kiss on the forehead wishing her luck. And everyone was in trance, the only thing that Hyewon can focus on is her sister and her music.

How beautiful and peaceful Sora looks at that moment.

“Is this your new composition?” She heard Sakura asked and Hyewon nodded.

“It’s good.”

Hyewon smiles and looks at her sister, who opened her eyes slightly to smile at them. “I composed it for Sora.”

And then out of nowhere she was called, her father holding her hand and a piano suddenly in the middle. Hyewon doesn’t know what to do, she shouldn’t have attended the party. Now, all eyes were on her – waiting for her to play. She looks around and suddenly she hears a violin.

She looks and saw Sora playing her piece and she smiles. Everything would be alright.

Everything would be fine as long she Sora is there.

Then the party was over, their parents dragging them to the music room.

“What was that Kang Hyewon?” Their father said and Hyewon feels scared – she doesn’t know what she did wrong.

“I played.”

“You and Sora played. Together.” Their mother said, “We were planning to show your skills individually! There are renowned composers in the party looking for prodigies like you, and you just panicked!”

“If it’s not for your sister, you would be a laughing joke.” Her father hissed, “Be thankful for her.”

With that they left. Leaving Hyewon staring at them at the empty music room. She then felt someone hugging her – Sora. She leans in to the hug and she cried.

“I’m sorry Sora.”

Sora just shakes her head, “No, you don’t have to say sorry.”

“Thank you for your compositions Wonnie. You’re really amazing.”

And Hyewon hugged her tighter.

Sora is there, everything will be alright.

 

//

 

They were 10 when they were asked to perform not for a party but for a classical concert. It was just then they discovered that their parents are famous composers – which explains why they are musically inclined. They have also been handling a company where they train future classical musicians. That’s where they got their teachers – Henry and Seohyun.

“You guys are going to perform.” Their father said and gave Hyewon a pointed look. “Separately.”

Without a beat Hyewon refused. “No.”

Her father looks displease but she doesn’t care. She will not perform without Sora – without Sora it feels like she’s drowning. Sora has always been her anchor.

“Did I ask for your opinion?”

Sora is now glancing at the both of them, waiting for an impending fight to happen. She walks over to her sister holding her hand and squeezing it.

“I won’t perform if I won’t have Sora.” Hyewon said with finality in her tone, not backing down.

The old man just laughs leaning on his chair, “Fine, we can just give it as a solo concert for Sora.”

And Hyewon is fine with that, after all, Sora deserves all the recognition that she could receive. She is a great violinist and she would be a proud sister for her.

“Then, can I have Wonnie to accompany me?” Sora meekly asked, and Hyewon’s heart melts.

Her father just gave them a side look and nodded, “Just one piece for the accompany, and it will all be yours.”

“Okay, thank you!” Sora said and quickly pulls Hyewon, running down the hall and going to the music room. It has always been their place – the way they understand each other through music, the way they speak to each other. The emotions they always convey.

A soulmate.

“You didn’t have to do that, Sora.” Hyewon said softly playing with her sister’s hair. But Sora just pouts at her.

“But I want you to play with me.”

Hyewon just smiles, “Should I make you some compositions in your concert?”

“Our concert.” Sora corrects her and Hyewon laughs.

“Okay, our concert.” Hyewon said, “I’ll give us three pieces, okay?”

Sora nods happily, grabbing her violin and bow warming up. Hyewon just presses some random chords on the piano, as she writes notes on the music paper. Sora stares at her sister and smiles.

“I wonder how you do it.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter