snacks & traditions pt. 1

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyewon and Minju are both at the train station since 7:45 AM as they are both aware that the call time is 8:00. Despite the station being only a 15-minute drive from their apartment, they still chose to be early since they both agreed that they feel uncomfortable for making the others wait. They expected that they’ll be waiting for a few minutes before the others start to arrive but it seems like they’re the ones who will do the waiting.

Thankfully, the station was not as crowded as they expected given that it was early in the weekend – there’s not much people using the train which is in their advantage. But that didn’t hide the fact that the others are late and when they say others, they mean the ones who lives nearby the station. It was a surprise that Eunbi got there first with Hitomi and Nako, though Hyewon already expected them not to be late since Eunbi is really responsible when it comes to this type of trips.

“Morning Hyewonnie,” Eunbi hugged her as she greeted the said girl and turned to Minju, “You too Minju. How long have you two been waiting here?”

Hyewon and Minju looked at each other, the latter answering for the both of them. “Well we’ve been waiting for 15 minutes already.” She chuckles.

Eunbi frowns and did some basic calculations and grimaced, “And the others?” She asked looking around, trying to see the other girls that are supposed to be there since it was already 5 past 8:00.

“What do you expect?” Hyewon sighs and was tackled by hugs from the other two Japanese girls, she chuckles and hugged them back – whispering a quiet ‘I miss you’ in their mother tongue. It was just a habit for the three of them, saying emotional words in Japanese – it seems more authentic especially when it comes from Hitomi, Nako, and Sakura.

Or maybe because Hyewon is used to it because that’s how she and Sora say things like those to each other – it just stuck to her. Minju watched the interaction from the side and smiled softly at the three, just with that simple interaction she knows that Hyewon deeply cares for the two girls – just like how a sister would.

“You know, I’ve known those two longer than Hyewon does,” Eunbi said while she looks at the three sweetly, remembering how easily the four – including Sora, got together and became close. “But maybe it was the fact that they spent most of their lives in Japan that made their connection much stronger.”

“You should’ve seen them with Sora,” Eunbi wistfully said, missing their friend all of a sudden. “Those twins would always baby those two, it’s like they’ll adopt them if they could.”

Minju wonders how it looked before, how this group of friends acted together when everything was fine – when Sora was still here. It was obvious that Sora became a vital part of the group by gathering these people and somehow, she wished that she was there to witness all of it. Because sometimes, she feels like an outsider when they talk about the violinist.

Maybe it was how Eunbi gave some comforting feeling to her, the aura of the older girl just screams that she’s understanding – making Minju admit the thing that she’s feeling quietly.

“Sometimes I do feel like an outsider,” She said as she watches Hyewon talk to Nako and Hitomi, the two girls showing her something in their phones. “Because I never knew Sora personally and I know she’s a big part of the group, it’s like I’m missing something big.”

“I’m not jealous or anything,” Minju quickly clarifies when she sees Eunbi’s worried face, “I just hoped that I was there when – “

Eunbi shakes her head softly, completely understanding where Minju is coming from. It was fair for the girl to feel that, it was valid and she’s not blaming her. But one thing is for sure – “Well, if Sora was here, I know what she doesn’t want you to feel.”

She smiles and hooks her arm with Minju, “It’s for you not to feel left out. She’ll accept you like a stray puppy. Trust me.”

She then looks up and sees Hyewon playing with Hitomi and her phone, Nako on her tiptoes to see what the two was doing and following Hyewon’s instruction. As if feeling their stare, the older girl of the three looked up and smiled at them before turning her attention back to the phone.

“I’m also sure that she’ll thank you.” Eunbi says softly, and she looks at the girl beside her.

“Why, what? For what?” Minju asked not knowing why the girl would thank her.

Eunbi chuckles, “For making Hyewon happy.” She shrugs her shoulders and remembers the time when Hyewon was completely lifeless and broken. But the Hyewon in front of her, it was different – a glow is surrounding her and she’s pretty sure it was because of Minju.

“I know Sora, and she just wants for her sister to be happy.” Eunbi continued and looks at Minju softly, trusting the girl as she stares straight into Minju’s eyes. “And you’re making her happy Minju. Please continue what you’re doing.”

“We missed this Hyewon.”

The said girl then walked over to them with Hitomi and Nako clinging onto her as if their life depended on her, she chuckles and just let the girls be. She could hear them whining about Hyewon helping Hitomi but not Nako.

“I’ll help you later Nako, don’t worry.” Hyewon said sweetly before patting the younger girl’s head making the latter beam at her, showing her own dimples. Hyewon then turns to the other two and raised her eyebrow at the hooked arms.

“Since when did you two became this close?” Hyewon asks, laughing slightly and tilts her head. It’s great seeing Minju getting along with her friends even with the short amount of time they spend together.

“Since you ditched her and played some games on the phone.” Eunbi sassily said and pinched Hyewon’s cheeks, “Ready for later? Better prepare your face.”

Hitomi and Nako jumped in excitement and started throwing questions at Hyewon, the latter just grimaced and shook her head covering her ears with her hands. Minju watched in amusement even though she doesn’t know what they are talking about.

“Kang-chan, where do you want it this year?!” Hitomi asked and giggled seeing Hyewon glaring at her, she just smiled cutely because she knows Hyewon won’t be mad at her.

“Should we just shower you with it?!” Nako asked and laughs as she and Hitomi hi-fived each other with the great idea.

Eunbi laughs and breaks the two, saving Hyewon from the stress that she might get. It was too early for her to handle their tradition but she knows it’ll come soon when the others decide to arrive.

“Okay, that’s enough. Hyewonnie needs a break. She’ll get that later.” Eunbi says and swings each of her arms on Hitomi and Nako’s shoulder.

Minju looks at Hyewon questioningly, “What are they – “

“You’ll see.” Hyewon cuts her off and looks at the clock in the stations, she frowns and fished out her phone from her pocket. “Where the hell are they? It’s already 8:20, and the call time is – “

“Kwangbae!”

Hyewon turns to the direction where she was called, seeing a panting Yena with Yuri holding some bag. She looked at them unamused and then slowly, the other girls following the couple from behind. She sees Sakura and Chaeyeon pushing each other probably arguing who will go and explain why they were late, while Yujin is walking with Wonyoung and Chaewon – the girl is grinning at her innocently as if she wasn’t 20 minutes late from the call time she just set with Yena and Sakura.

“And why are you – “

“Yujin!” Sakura and Yena shouts pointing at the tall girl who sported a surprised expression, quickly walking to the two and about to defend herself. Hyewon quirked an eyebrow waiting for Yujin to explain, but the girl just opened and immediately closed , looking at the ground guiltily.

“I accidentally put my alarm at 6.”

Hyewon frowns, that should be great then why is she still –

“In the evening.” Chaewon chimed in and rolled her eyes, she then looks at Minju. “I told you I should have just went with you two!”

“If Wonyoung didn’t went to her apartment she would be still asleep now.” Sakura whined earning a slap from Yujin from throwing her under the bus. Hyewon just shakes her head, looking at the paper bags that some of the girls are holding.

Chaeyeon smiled raising one paper bag, “It’s food for us, all bought by Yujin because it’s her fault.”

Wonyoung then pushed passed the girls and hugged Hyewon tightly, surprising not just the older girl but also her cousin.

“I missed you Hyewonnie!” Wonyoung exclaimed, “I can’t wait for the tradition!”

Hyewon frowns and looks at Yujin, feeling betrayed for telling the younger girl. She was about to give the girl an earful but Minju suddenly talked, getting her attention.

“What tradition?”

Hyewon quickly turns around and tried to pull Minju away before the other girls tell the girl, but she forgot that it was her against 10 annoying girls. It was obvious who will win.

“Oh, we’ll give Kang-chan all the kisses we can give her.” Sakura smiled widely, “But only when we arrive at the hill.”

“It’s really beautiful there!” Yena smiles and looks at Minju, “You’ll like – “

“She already went there.”

Hyewon said and rolls her eyes at the stares given to her, she frowns at Minju looking at her in surprise as if it was supposed to be a secret between them. “With me, during my day off.”

Then suddenly, the atmosphere became somewhat awkward for Minju but it seems like Hyewon didn’t feel it. But Minju is aware with the teasing looks she received from the other girls, and she suddenly wants to go home at that moment. Thankfully, Eunbi was there and decided to change the subject as she sees the train.

“Well, the train is here and we should start our trip or else we’ll be late for our agenda.” Eunbi said, pulling Hitomi and Nako. The other girls chuckled at how motherly Eunbi was and followed the older girl, Minju looking at Hyewon and the latter smiling at her.

Yujin and Wonyoung walking with Chaewon, the girl whining and threatening them to not be sweet with each other or she’d kill them. Yena and Yuri laughing at the girl, easing her and talking to her not feel like a fifth-wheel.

Eunbi waited for the train, and she noticed that Sakura and Chaeyeon are behind them and she just smiles slightly before quickly looking in front. But she didn’t m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter