epiphanies & wishes

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonyoung just finished fixing her clothes when she heard a knock on her door. It’s too early for someone to come to her apartment, frowning as she thinks who the person might be, she walks over to her door and opens it. To her surprise, Yujin was there standing in front of her with her dimpled grin.

“What are you doing…” Wonyoung trails off thinking about if she forgot something that she promised to the older girl.

She hears Yujin chuckling, and she looks at the latter questioningly.

“Let’s have breakfast?” Yujin asked her with a smile.

Wonyoung raised her eyebrows at the invitation, a very welcomed invitation since she still hasn’t had her breakfast. She was planning to get some on the way but since Yujin’s here, then it would be much perfect.

“Sure,” Wonyoung nods her head and gestures for a minute, “I’ll just get my keys and bag.” As she was about to enter her apartment, she was stopped by a hand. She looked at the older girl and Yujin is just grinning at her sheepishly.

“I’ll drive us. Just get your bag.”

Wonyoung nods her head and left the door open, quickly grabbing her bag and checking if her things are complete. She only grabbed the keys to her apartment before going out, Yujin waiting in front as she leans on the door frame.

“Come on?” Wonyoung asks, closing the door and Yujin smiles.

“Any cravings for the day?”

“Just be sure to include some coffee and I’m good.” Wonyoung grins and Yujin laughs at the straight up answer. The two of them then walks over to the elevator talking about their first class together for that day. Wonyoung feels happy to start this day with the older girl, especially now that they made things clear between the both of them.

Yujin then drove them to the nearest coffee shop from their campus, ordering two lattes and breakfast sandwiches for the both of them. Wonyoung was about to pull out her wallet when Yujin beat her to it, her money already going to the cashier.

“You didn’t have to.” Wonyoung frowns.

Yujin just waves her hand dismissively at Wonyoung, “It’s my treat, don’t worry.”

Wonyoung feels warm at the gesture and an idea popped in her head, “Well, next time it’s mine.”

“I like the sound of that.” Yujin grins and they walked over to one of the tables, their orders will just be served in a few minutes.

As they were waiting for their order, Yujin’s phone started ringing making the two of them look at it – Wonyoung could see Sakura calling. When Yujin is about to reject the call she quickly stops the older girl and nods her head to accept the call.

“It’s fine, she must have something important to tell you.” Wonyoung reassures and Yujin smiles gratefully at her.

“Thank you.” Yujin said before answering the call.

Wonyoung smiles and looks away from the girl to give her a sense of privacy, she looks around and she could see familiar faces on the shop. Just as she turned her head, she could see their orders being served and she smiles gratefully at the server.

Yujin ended the call as soon as their orders arrived, it was a quick call for one and Wonyoung could see the older girl smiling at her.

“Good news?”

Yujin chuckles blowing on her latte, “You could say that.”

Wonyoung bites into her sandwich, raising her eyebrows questioningly and Yujin gets it because she quickly answered it with a smile. “Hyewonnie’s birthday is coming up.”

“Oh,” Wonyoung thinks about it and looks at Yujin, realization hitting her. “That means…”

Yujin nodded slightly with a small smile, “Yeah,” Pursing her lips she thinks about their memories during the last celebrations they had. “It was hard at first, but Hyewonnie managed. We always go celebrate with her.”

Wonyoung nods understandingly, she’s not that close with Hyewon yet but she hopes she can be close to her soon. It seems like Hyewon is really a good person, and Wonyoung could tell that already.

“What are you planning then?”

Yujin then grins at her, her dimple showing already. “It falls on a Wednesday which is a bummer, but are you free on the weekend?”

Wonyoung nods her head, thinking about how she does not have anything to do on the weekend. “Yeah, I’ll just laze around the apartment like usual.”

“Great! Hyewonnnie will be really happy for you to be there,” Yujin exclaims, “I’m sure Minju-unnie and Chaewon-unnie would be there too.”

Then they continued their conversation with Yujin sharing what Sakura told her earlier from their phone call, and their plan. It was just a simple celebration nothing to fancy, just simple friends hanging around with each other. Wonyoung smiles because it seems like meeting these people are one of the best things that happened to her.

 

/

 

Hyewon is just sitting on the couch in the living room when she heard Minju’s door opening revealing the latter in her work clothes – her usual ones. With Hyewon’s class not starting until 10, she told Minju that she can just walk to her campus and that the younger girl shouldn’t just keep on coming to her work late.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to drive you?” Minju asks fixing her blouse as she glances at Hyewon.

The older girl nods reassuringly, “Yeah, I’m fine with it. Don’t worry.”

Hyewon could see Minju looking at her unsure if she should believe her words, this made her chuckle. Minju worries too much, it’s not like Hyewon didn’t walk before. She can absolutely manage but Minju suddenly had this urge to always drive her to her campus.

“I’ll just text you when I arrive, okay?” Suggesting that, Minju quickly smiles and nods her head. Hyewon laughed at the reaction.

“Seriously, I’m not sure if I’m the one older between us.”

Minju just sticks her tongue out at Hyewon making the latter shake her head in amusement, she then watches Minju grabbed some flats and heels making her raise her eyebrows.

“Spare flats?”

The younger girl looked at her and shakes her head slightly, “Spare heels. I hate those devil inventions.”

Hyewon laughs gestures the girl for a second, going to her own room and grabbing some bag where people can put their shoes. She walks out of her room and holds it out for Minju.

“Here, you can use this.” Hyewon said, grabbing the younger girl’s heels and putting it inside carefully. “It’s either you look stupid or just bragging about your wealth when you hold a pair of Louboutin.”

Minju rolls her eyes at the joke, it’s not her fault that her heels are like that – well, maybe it is, but that’s not the point. She grabs the bag now with her heels and wears her flats, grabbing her own bag she looks at the older girl.

“You text me okay?” She squints her eyes at Hyewon.

The latter nodding her head like an obedient child, “Yes ma’am.”

“Good, I’ll be going now then.” Minju said waving her hand and she could hear Hyewon’s soft ‘take care and have a safe trip’. She just smiles as the older girl never fails to remind her that every time she goes.

Now left on her own, Hyewon doesn’t know what to do to past her time. She already cooked dinner for Minju earlier because she would have another shift later, she was also finished with all of her papers already. Hyewon is not in the mood to watch something on the television which is why she’s just staring at nothing.

Hyewon glances up and stares at the instrument on the second floor, she contemplates on using it. She’s scared that she might break down and she does not know what she would do if she does so – especially having no one beside her right; not having Minju beside her right now.

She pursed her lips and closes her eyes, memories of her playing the instrument flooding inside her mind – she could hear it again and again, the very evident tune of the piano could also be heard. Hyewon tightly shuts her eyes, she would sometimes remember these moments and she hates how much life has changed her.

If not for her friends, maybe she would not be here anymore. Hyewon doesn’t understand why life made her go through with it all – to lose a twin sister, someone she considers her other half; it just hurts like hell. Her parents leaving her, looking at her as if she’s just a trash – she didn’t just lose a sister that night, but also her parents.

Hyewon did found a family with her friends, and she is very much thankful for them – she couldn’t live without them, literally.

But sometimes, a daughter wants to feel her parents love. Even just for a moment.

Opening her eyes, tears streaking down her face, Hyewon looks up and exhales. “I really miss you Sora.”

Standing up from the couch, Hyewon decided to take a shower already. It’s useless to do nothing at that time, and she’d rather have something to do than to be flooded with memories.

Memories of her past that always bring her happiness and regrets.

 

//

 

Hyewon was busy staring and possibly listening to her class, writing down notes here and there. The professor seems to be focusing on one thing for this lesson and Hyewon has enough of it, she’s just leaning her chin on the palm of her hands while she waits for the bell to ring.

It’s almost been an hour since the lesson started and this would be a three-hour class, it for her but she needs to go through with it. This is one of the reasons why Hyewon regretted to suddenly take up business, and not just go through with her music degree. But it’s not like she can do it anyways, she’s been broken.

Tapping her fingers to an unheard beat, she just lets her mind fly constantly glancing at the projected screen to see if the slide has changed. She rolled her eyes when her professor has been continuously talking about assets and liabilities and what not. It’s been ten minutes already and she could see other students not paying attention anymore.

Hyewon then felt her phone vibrate, glancing in front to see if the professor is not looking, she quietly fishes it out of her pocket to see Yujin has texted her.

Lunch? With Yena-unnie and Kura-unnie.

Yujin

She grins at the idea since does not have anything to do after this class, she quickly types a message.

Sure. Class will end in 1. Meet you outside?

Hyewon

Cool. I’ll wait you there, mine ends at 12:30.

Yujin

Hyewon could not wait for her class to finish and go eat out with her friends.

 

/

 

Minju was busy typing in her computer when her door suddenly opened, she frowned at the very obvious rudeness of the person and was about to stand up when she saw her father, being tailed behind a smirking Taeyong. Minju could see Chaewon looking at her as if telling her that she did her best.

Minju nods her head slightly, she could already feel the massive headache she is going to have in this talk. Chaewon bowed and took her leave, Minju then turns her head to look at the two man in front of her – Taeyong already sitting nonchalantly in one of the chairs.

“To whom do I owe this pleasure?” Minju asks and gestures her father to take a seat, just because she hates the man doesn’t mean she’ll be rude to him. She still knows her manners.

Her father smiles and took his seat, “I just wanted to see my daughter.”

Minju quirks an eyebrow and glanced at Taeyong, her father noticed it and just shrugs his shoulders. “He wanted to come.”

“Is he your son now?” Minju said in a tone, rolling her eyes at her father. But it seems like Taeyong didn’t notice it because he sat up and smiled sweetly at her.

“Son-in-law.” He proudly said.

Minju looks at the man incredulously and turns to her father and she could see her sighing. It’s good to see that her father seems like noticing the stupidity of Taeyong, it’s about time for him to see it. Minju shakes her head. “In your dreams.” She mutters under her breath.

“What are you doing here? If you don’t mind me asking.” Minju said not even bothering a glance at Taeyong but instead only looking at her father. That says something.

“Would you like to eat lunch?”

Minju leans back to her chair, “Yes of course I love to eat lunch. But I prefer to have a family bonding.” She said with a tone indicating that Taeyong’s presence must be eradicated as soon as possible.

She could see Taeyong about to talk at the side of her eyes, and she just turns to her monitor to continue what she’s doing earlier. Minju glanced back at her father and she could see the old man sigh, standing from his seat and grabbing Taeyong.

Minju watches how her father walked outside with Taeyong and maybe she could finally have a peace of mind now that they are gone. It was a fairly quick discussion and Minju is thankful for it – she doesn’t want to handle both Taeyong’s stupidity and her father’s attitude in one sitting.

But when she’s about to get in the zone, her door opened again only to see her father entering alone her room. He was smiling from ear to ear at Minju, and she could just look at him in disbelief.

“So, lunch?” Her father asked, “I miss my daughter.”

Minju blinks her eyes at the old man standing in front of her – she could not believe her eyes that for once, her father chose and listened to her. Minju slowly nods her head standing up from her chair and grabbing her things.

“Yes, I’ll just get ready.” She said quietly, still surprised.

“No heels?”

Minju looks at her father and she could see the man already looking at her heels on the side of her room, she decided to just wear flats the whole day since there won’t be any meeting she would attend to.

“Yeah, my feet started hurting from all the time I wear it.” Minju scrunches her nose and looks at her right foot, still feeling the pain as she moves it. She then looks up to see her father staring at her and glancing at her feet.

Nodding his head, he smiled slightly. “You should check it up if it continues.”

Minju just rejects the idea with a shake, “I’m used to it. It’s been happening since I could remember.”

With that she grabbed her bag and smiled, “Lunch?”

Her father returned the smile and gestures for her to lead the way. Minju does not know what her father is planning right now, but maybe a lunch with him won’t hurt.

 

/

 

Hyewon thanked her professor for being generous that he gave his last thirty minutes for them to just go pack up as the class has already ended. Hyewon knows Yujin is already outside the room since the latter just texted, she quickly pushed her notes inside her bag and walked out of her room.

“Hyewonnie!”

Hyewon stumbled backward with the sudden impact of the tall girl who seems like an excited dog for seeing her. She laughs at Yujin and hugs the latter back, patting her lower back. Yujin then pulled away from her, “I missed you!”

“You saw me yesterday, stop being dramatic.” Hyewon said fixing her bag.

“You rejected my offer to drive you, so I still miss you.”

Hyewon rolls her eyes and walks away from the door, giving enough space for other students to walk out of it. “I don’t want to mess up with your date with Wonyoung.”

Yujin coughed suddenly, making Hyewon smirked. “We, we’re not dat – “

Hyewon gives the younger girl a pointed look making her shut up. Hyewon knows the nonsense that Yujin is about to sputter out and she has known the younger girl for far too long. Yujin then sighed and just hooked her arms with Hyewon.

“Kura-unnie and Yena-unnie are already waiting.” Yujin said with a smile, “I’ll just talk to you guys about it.”

Hyewon nodded her head and fishes out her phone, already going to Minju’s contact and sending her the usual message. She didn’t bother to hide it which is why Yujin could see her texting.

“Minju-unnie?” Yujin asks with a teasing voice, “Didn’t know that you were that close.”

Hyewon scoffs and rolls her eyes, “She’s my roommate, of course we’re going to be close.”

“It seems like I’m not the only one with a story to tell.”

Hyewon was about to retort when Yujin pulled her to walk faster, the younger girl seems excited after she saw Hyewon sending a text to Minju. Hyewon just rolls her eyes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter