karaage & pizza

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After their talk Hyewon and Minju decided to just watch some show, not bothering to move from their position. Minju just lets Hyewon to lay down on her lap as they watch some anime chosen by the latter, they just let time pass by with silence with the constant sound coming from the television.

Minju now knows the story on why Hyewon has this bubble around her – the missing pieces that Minju sought to find has just been laid in front of her but she won’t stop there. She may not have voiced it out, but she will stay beside Hyewon as long as possible.

She realizes how strong Hyewon really is, that despite all of those things that she experienced – Minju has no sibling, but even she has one she couldn’t even imagine the pain of losing a twin sister. Just from the story Minju could tell that Hyewon loves Sora so much – her soulmate.

That despite losing her Hyewon is still here, there might be times that she just shuts down but she still goes through it and that is something admirable from the older girl. Minju looks down on her lap and sees Hyewon focused on the anime.

The fact that Hyewon decided to move to another apartment with a roommate – due to Yujin’s insistence, is a big step. Minju realized why Hyewon distanced herself from her during the first few days and Minju is thankful that the distance didn’t bother her – that in the end, Hyewon managed to open up to her.

“Hungry?”

Minju heard Hyewon asking her and she could now see that the latter is staring up to her, she realized that it is almost lunch, so she nodded. Hyewon just hums and pushes herself up from Minju’s lap, getting off the couch and walking over the kitchen but she suddenly stopped making Minju look at her confusedly.

Hyewon then turns around and seemingly want to ask something, “Do you want to cook with me?”

Minju just looks at the girl and thinks about it – the danger of her coming and doing something in the kitchen. “Are you sure? I don’t have a fire extinguisher here.”

Hyewon just laughs walking over to Minju and pulling her to stand up and to go to the kitchen. “That’s alright, I’ll guide you. Just don’t hurt yourself, okay?”

Minju wanted to protest but Hyewon seems eager and she really does want to help and somehow learn to cook some basic things, in the end she stands there watching Hyewon getting out the ingredients. She then saw Hyewon glancing at her.

“I could use some hand, you know?” She jokes, and Minju quickly scrambled off her feet and walked over the girl helping her.

Hyewon then grabbed a knife and all things needed and Minju just looks at her curiously. “What are we going to make?”

Hyewon hums, “Karaage and some stir fried vegetables.”

Just by the name Minju could feel her hunger, “What can I help with?”

“Wash your hands first.” Hyewon said and Minju quickly did it and walked over to the older girl.

Hyewon smiles giving her the things to do, just the simple ones like washing the vegetables and all that. But Minju being her overachieving self, wanted to do some cutting too after seeing Hyewon cut the vegetables professionally.

“Can I cut something too?” Minju asked like a kid.

Hyewon frowns looking at her, “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“I promise I’ll be good!”

Hyewon thinks about it, looking at the things on the table and then at Minju. She just sighs and grabs the chicken, dabbing it with tissue. “Cut this into bite size, okay? Don’t overdo it, and please don’t cut your fingers.”

The two of them are just silently doing their tasks, a comfortable silence surrounding them, but Hyewon decided to break it much to Minju’s surprise.

“By the way, where were you last night?”

Minju paused on her task and decided to just answer it honestly. “Had a dinner with my father and some other friends and relatives.” She hesitated if she should talk about Hyewon’s parents being there, not knowing if that would be a great idea or not.

Hyewon thinks about the first time she saw the man, “Say, what’s your father’s name again?”

Minju wanted to laugh at the question, it’s not always that you meet someone not knowing her father. It seems like Yujin is right when she said that Hyewon is not into their lifestyle.

“Kim Taewook.”

Hyewon made an ‘oh’, nodding her head. “That’s why he looks familiar.”

“What?” Minju frowns, but eyes still focused on the chicken she’s cutting.

“I met him once, in some party of some sorts.” Hyewon smiles and looks at how Minju is doing with her task, “That’s too small Minju.”

Minju just pouts and tried making it bigger. “Really? That’s weird, I never saw you in one.”

“I told you, I don’t really do well in attention.” Hyewon laughs and thinks about the chances if ever she met Minju that time. Then she thinks about how she’s Yujin’s friend and the time where Yujin wanted for them to meet that said friend.

“Hey, were you busy with your school at some point in your life?”

Minju thinks about the question, looking at Hyewon. Right, she was nose deep in her books at some point. “Yeah, there was this time Yujin whined about that.”

“Oh, so it’s you that she wanted to introduce to us.” Hyewon smiles. “She said that she has this friend that’s too busy with school that she feels neglected.”

Maybe Minju really overdid it that time. “Yeah, I guess that would be me.”

“Sora would have love you,” Hyewon softly said that made Minju look at the latter. She could see the sincerity in Hyewon’s eyes and it made her tingle inside.

“Really?”

“Yup, she loves anything that breathes. But you’ll guys will get along because she can’t also cook.” She teases earning a grunt from Minju. Hyewon just laughs at the reaction, looking down at the now decently cut chicken.

“That’s good already, I’ll heat up the pan.” Hyewon said smiling at Minju and turned around to get the pan and some oil. Minju just watches the older girl, contemplating if she could ask question about Sora – she really wants to know about her, not because she is curious. Because maybe if they really met each other, they would be friends.

But sometimes life doesn’t work that way.

“I can hear your thoughts from here, Minju.” Hyewon said not looking back at her, “You can ask questions, don’t worry.”

Minju bites her lips, looking at Hyewon’s back. “Are you sure?”

Hyewon just chuckles turning around and walking over to get the minced garlic and onions and other vegetables. She paused and looks at Minju.

Minju could feel her heart beating faster with how Hyewon is looking at her, she waits for the latter to answer but she could see the softness in her eyes. She remembers the polaroid on the violin case, and the similarity is really there.

“Just ask Minju-ah.” Hyewon said softly and turns around.

Minju doesn’t know what’s with Hyewon and saying her name like that, but her breath just hitched. She knows what she’s feeling, she is very much sure about it but she doubts that’s what Hyewon needs right now.

“What’s your favorite piece to play?” Minju asked, and she could hear the sizzling coming from the pan.

Hyewon thinks about it, her favorite piece to play. She’s not really sure, because anything she plays is her favorite – especially when she plays it with Sora but if she’s going to choose – “One Summer’s Day from Spirited Away.”

“The anime?” Minju asked, remembering how Yujin once asked her to watch it with her.

Hyewon nods, still focused on her task. “It’s Sora’s favorite. It became my favorite too.”

“You really love her.” Minju states with a smile. Hyewon’s love for her sister is something that she doesn’t see every day.

“Very much.” Hyewon said and turned around walking over to Minju, “Mind doing the honors to cook the chicken?”

Minju laughs nodding her head, and Hyewon guided her putting some seasonings on the chicken.

 

/

 

Miraculously, their lunch went better than Minju expected though Hyewon did all the heavy work while she watches from a far, too afraid of the popping coming from the chicken – but still, this is the first official food that Minju successfully cooked.

If she knew that having meals that you specifically cooked would be this fulfilling, then she would have learned to do it much earlier. She sees Hyewon standing up already finish with her own plate and going to the sink. Minju follows the girl up, grabbing her own plate.

“I’ll do the dishes.” Minju volunteered, “You already did the cooking.”

Hyewon just looks at her and Minju could see the teasing coming. It seems like Hyewon somehow became playful after their talk, and it is very refreshing to see – though Minju knows that there are still some things that the older girl is carrying, but this is better than before.

“I thought you’d never ask.” Hyewon said with a smirk and steps back letting Minju do the honors. The latter just rolls her eyes making Hyewon laugh. “I’ll take a shower then. Don’t break the plates, okay?”

Minju splashed some water to Hyewon’s retreating figure making her chuckle. “These are my plates and I won’t break them!”

Minu could hear a muffle ‘yeah sure’, shuffling, and a door closing which means that Hyewon is already inside the bathroom. She could only just shake her head and continues washing the dishes. But she couldn’t help but to think about something.

Hyewon’s parents are in Korea and Minju is sure that the older girl already knows it, and judging from the story, Hyewon does not have a very good relationship with them. She does not have any idea how long will they stay, and she thinks about the fact that they already know that Minju is living with Hyewon.

She frowns as she remembered what happened last night, when Yujin told them that Hyewon is living with her and they just straight up denied her existence. What Hyewon is experiencing is far different from Minju – in her case, her father never acknowledges her achievements but she has her mom to support her.

But for Hyewon, it’s different. She realizes how much Sora means to Hyewon because her sister is her only family. As she was deep in her thoughts, she heard something ringing. Minju looks back to see her phone ringing, turning off the water she walks over it to see Yujin calling her.

“Yujin, hey.” Minju greets as soon as she answers the call, “You okay now?”

“Yeah, Wonyoung went with me.” Yujin answered softly, “Is Hyewonnie okay?”

Minju hums in affirmation and she could hear the younger girl sigh in relief. “Would you want to come here?”

“If it’s okay with you and Hyewonnie.” Yujin answers.

Minju just chuckled. This is the first time Yujin thought about them when going to her apartment. “Since when did you ask our permission?” She jokingly said.

Yujin just groans on the other side, “Unnie!”

“You can come. You can also bring your friends, Hyewon would want to see you guys.” Minju answers, her tone reassuring. Yujin said that she’ll be arriving with them in a few and the call ended.

“Was that Yujin?”

Minju quickly turns her head and she could see Hyewon, unlike her outfits before, the older girl is sporting shirt and sweatpants. It’s just a simple outfit, but it is unusual for Minju to see the girl wearing something that now reveals some skin – not that it’s much skin to begin with.

Minju clears when she realized that she’s staring and Hyewon is still waiting for her answer.

“Yeah,” She looks away to act normal, “She said she’s coming and she might bring your other friends.”

“Oh,” Hyewon nodded slowly, “Okay.”

Minju looks at the older girl who is frowning, “Do you want me to tell them to – “

“No! Don’t.” Hyewon shakes her head smiling slightly, “I’m sure they’re worried. It’s fine.”

“Are you sure?” Minju asks, looking at the older girl to see any sign of hesitance.

But Hyewon just shoots her a reassuring smile with a nod. “Yeah, don’t worry.” The older girl then walks over to the couch grabbing the remote. “I’ll just watch some an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter