reminders & suits

of missing pieces & bubbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju wakes up before her alarm, she just stayed in her bed not moving an inch. She doesn’t even know if she really got a wink of sleep, after she saw that last night. She tried to continue her sleep but all she could see is the silhouette of Hyewon playing the piano, crying silently. Minju cannot get the image out of her mind.

She tried her best – really, changing and flipping on her bed just to forget it, to get her sleep. But she just couldn’t. She even forced herself not to go to the older girl’s room and talk to her – she might be asleep, she thought to herself.

Minju decided to get up from her bed and take a bath, nothing will happen if she just lay there. Fixing her bed, she opens her door and started walking to the bathroom when she halted in her steps. She contemplated, but she still found herself in front of Hyewon’s door.

Just look inside for a quick second, see if she’s alright. She reminds herself.

Nodding her head as determination, she raised her fist to knock quietly when the door suddenly opened – revealing a very disheveled Hyewon. Minju stares at her while the other girl stares back – obviously surprise to see her.

Minju noticed the swollen eyes and she knew that the older girl cried herself in her sleep, making Minju to click her tongue – in annoyance? Disappointment? She doesn’t know. She discreetly glanced down at Hyewon’s hands, and quickly looked up.

“What are you – “

Minju quickly cuts her off, “I was just about to see if you’re awake already. Since you’re here I’ll take a shower now.” She quickly went to the bathroom, leaving a very confused and still sleepy looking at the bathroom door.

Hyewon just stares at the now closed bathroom door, frowning. Rubbing her eyes trying to wipe away the sleepiness she just mumbled to herself, “Okay, I’ll just make some breakfast then.”

Minju doesn’t know what has gotten into her but right after she finished her bath, she quickly went to her room and put on some clothes. When she went out of the bathroom, she could smell Hyewon’s cooking already – she didn’t rush to eat, well it’s a one of the reasons. But mainly, she just needs to talk to Hyewon.

But right now, Minju is sitting across the older girl who is already eating her breakfast – a simple scrambled eggs with toast. Minju got an omelette and a few cut fruits – she doesn’t even remember that they have fruits. She found herself slowly eating the food in front of her, while she stares at Hyewon – discreetly.

Or so she thought.

Because one moment, the older girl is focusing on her toast and then she is now staring back at her – which caught Minju by surprise.

“What is it?” Hyewon asked raising her eyebrows, and going back to her food. She continued talking without looking up. “You’ve been staring since you sat down.”

Minju quickly thought of an excuse – a plausible one. “Don’t you have class?” She mentally pats her back on the very great question. She then looks at Hyewon who shakes her head.

“No classes today.” Hyewon took the last bite and drank her water. Putting the glass down she looked at Minju and tilts her head. “How about you? Won’t you be late?”

Minju shakes her head taking a bite from her own food, now properly relishing into its flavor. “I can be late, but I know that Chaewon is tired from yesterday so I’ll make her day easier.”

Hyewon hummed in response she put her plates on the sink and washed it, Minju watches her for a second then continued on her food. She decided to ask something to the older girl.

“Did you get some sleep last night?” She asked nonchalantly when she heard the faucet being turned off. Minju knows she’s playing with fire right now, feeling the stare of Hyewon directed at her.

“Like a log.” She heard her say and walks out of the kitchen mumbling that she’ll take a shower. Minju just glanced at the retreating figure and shakes her head.

“Liar.”

 

/

 

Hyewon took her time under the shower trying to get the sleepiness away from her – for all she knows she just slept for a good 2 to 3 hours. Raising her head up, letting the droplets of water hit her face she raised her hands against the ceiling.

She stared at it for good few minutes, thankful for the water running down her face – hiding the tears streaming. Taking a deep breath, she turned the shower off – drying herself with the towel and putting on her used clothes. It’s still clean since she just slept on it.

She looks at the mirror and stares at her reflection, releasing an annoyed sigh she quickly the faucet to wash her face. After doing so, she grabbed her towel and opened the door to go to her room – only to stand face to face with Minju.

This is the second time of the day that this happened, and Hyewon is starting to get weirded out by her roommate. She looks at Minju expectantly – it seems like the latter wants to say something.

“Yes?” Hyewon asks hoping to encourage the girl to just spit it out. But Minju keeps fidgeting with her fingers and Hyewon is starting to get worried – the younger girl seems like she’s in a dilemma.

“Minju, are you – “

“I won’t be here for dinner.”

Hyewon blinks and made an ‘oh’ with , nodding slowly. “Okay?” She answered, though she knows that it sounds unsure.

“I mean I’ll be here, but I just – “

Hyewon steps forward grabbing Minju by her arm softly, drawing little circles on it. “Minju, breathe. What is it?” She helps the younger girl. Minju looks up from her hands and Hyewon stared at her – the former’s eyes shouting something that Hyewon doesn’t know.

“I just want to say that you don’t have to cook dinner.” Minju finally said properly. Hyewon nodded quirking an eyebrow, she let go of Minju’s arm and stepped back.

“And you couldn’t just text me?” She jokes. She then sees Minju’s mouth opening as if wanting to say something, but then closed it soon after.

“Minju, are you sure you’re okay?” Hyewon asked worriedly, “You don’t have to go to work if you’re not.”

Minju quickly steps back nodding her head at the older girl, “I’m fine, just a lot of things in my mind.”

Hyewon frowns but she knows not to pry. “If you say so.”

“I’ll be going now.” Minju said walking away. Hyewon just hummed and walked to her door, but right before she can enter it, she heard her name being called. Looking to her side, she saw Minju standing there with her purse.

“Yeah? You said something?”

Minju just stares at her and Hyewon just waits for her to talk.

“Call me if anything is wrong.”

Hyewon chuckled and nodded, “Will sure do.”

“When I say anything, I mean anything. Okay?” Minju said with finality and went out of the apartment quickly. Heywon just stared at the girl’s previous spot, not wanting to overthink she entered her room deciding to just spend her day not doing anything. Wait until her shift starts.

 

//

 

Minju just stares at the screen in front of her, it’s not like she has anything to do. She knows that all the important stuff has been done already – she doesn’t even need to go to work since Minju already finished a week’s worth of work.

She remembers how she was woken up from her sleep because of some sound she’s hearing outside of her room. How Minju slowly walks out of her room afraid to make some noise if ever there are burglars inside her apartment. Then only to be surprised that the sound is coming from her second floor.

The piano being played by her roommate, by Hyewon. Minju doesn’t know what to think nor what to do at that moment – all she could feel with Hyewon’s playing is pain. Like the latter is screaming for help, as if she’s drowning in pain for a very long time.

But Minju is too shocked to move, so she just stood there frozen. Only to be broken when Hyewon suddenly slammed the keys down, and the broken whisper she heard. Minju doesn’t know if it was the right thing to do – to just go back to her own and do nothing.

So now, here she is staring out of nowhere reprimanding herself for the way she acted earlier. Without thinking, she grabs her phone searching for Yujin’s contact to send her a message. She then puts it back on her table.

Let’s meet at lunch. You can bring Wonyoung. Not up for discussion.

Minju

Minju heard her phone chime soon after and glanced back to read the reply.

Sure? Won’t bring Wonyoung though.

Yujin

 

/

 

Sakura opens her apartment door, tired from her travel she just wants to go straight to her bed and sleep. Especially today since she has a shift later with Hyewon and –

“Saku-chan.”

Sakura’s sleepy eyes widened and looked at the couch. She didn’t expect for Chaeyeon to stay at her apartment, judging from the droopy eyes being sported by the girl, Chaeyeon didn’t get enough sleep from last night.

“Hey,” She called out with a smile, walking over the girl. “I didn’t know you’ll be staying here.” She says and hugged the girl by the waist. Chaeyeon just leaned to the touch and hugged her back.

“I wanted to stay with you there but I think it’s not a good idea.” Chaeyeon mumbles against her neck, “Did you tell Eunbi-unnie?”

“She knew.” Sakura chuckles when she saw the younger girl pulling away from her with wide eyes. “She noticed our little actions.”

Chaeyeon just sighed dropping her head on Sakura’s shoulders, “Do I need to talk to her?”

“I think you should.”

“Do you think the others know?”

Sakura just groans just thinking about the bigger picture, with that she just grabbed Chaeyeon by the waist and carried to her room making the latter squeal in surprise. “Let’s not think about that and sleep.”

Chaeyeon smirks at her raising an eyebrow, “Just sleep?”

Sakura sticks her tongue out and lays beside the girl pulling her closer.

“Yes. We still have a shift later, Hyewon can’t handle it alone.”

“Hyewon, would she be okay? It’s almost – “

“I don’t know.” Sakura sighs thinking about the girl. “Let’s sleep first, okay?”

With that said, Chaeyeon nodded and snuggled closer to the older girl.

 

/

 

Minju is just waiting for the clock to strike 12 to officially start lunch – all she did was for her to type her reports for the next two weeks, sign documents, talk to some investors, and stare into her wall. She’s currently doing the latter when she heard a knock coming from the door – revealing Chaewon.

“Wow, you’re not typing for once.”

Minju just rolls her eyes and turned to her monitor, clicking on some random folder which reveals some previous reports. “And I thought you won’t be annoying for once.”

Chaewon just ignored her and sat on the chair in front of her table propping her chin on her palms, “I forgot to ask what happened to your meeting with Taeyong.”

Hearing the name Minju released a groan and glared at the girl as if saying to immediately change the topic. Chaewon chuckles at the reaction.

“That bad, huh?” She then continued, “He called to schedule another so-called meeting.”

Minju stops and looks at the girl incredulously, “Please don’t tell me – “

“Hold your horse because I told him your schedule is already full.” Chaewon interrupts her, “But I don’t know how long will that hold him.”

Minju just said a muttered thanks and continued checking the document. Glancing from her phone from time to time, seeing if Yujin texted her.

“What did he say anyway? He seems really eager.”

“The wedding.” Minju deadpans.

Chaewon scrunched her nose, “Oh, he hasn’t moved on from that yet?”

“He’s too into it because he already got my father’s approval.”

Then Minju’s phone chimed, quickly getting it to see that Yujin already arrived at the café near her building. She then quickly grabs her purse making Chaewon look at her weirdly.

“Ditching me for a date?”

“It’s with Yujin, don’t be gross.” Minju said with a laugh.

“Oh, I thought it’s with Hyewon.” Chaewon teased and quickly walked over to her desk right before Minju could catch her. “Bring me something from the café! I’m craving sweets!”

“Whatever Chaewon.”

 

/

 

Hyewon has been staring up to her ceiling since she woke up from her 3-hour nap, enough for her to feel energized for the day. She knows what’s approaching her but even though she knows it too well she is not ready – she will never be ready.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter