22: Calm After the Storm

Devil's contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been a couple of days since Irene lost control over herself and almost devoured Seulgi's soul. Seulgi is still unconscious while Irene is torturing herself every day over something that she has no full control of.

 

" how's Seulgi? " Joy asked Wendy. She came by to checkup on Seulgi.

 

It's been a while since the last time Joy has seen Wendy and unlike in the past, something in her refuses to act rudely towards the Angel like the way usually does. Somehow, Joy is glad to see Wendy back.

 

" still unconscious " Wendy shortly answered.

 

Since Joy has started working again, she already has her own place but instead of staying there, she decided to let Wendy and Seulgi stay in there for the meantime while she stays with Irene. Joy is anxious about Irene's state right now that she refuses to let the girl be all alone.

 

" isn't weird that she is still not gaining consciousness? Do you think something is wrong with her? " Joy worriedly asked, making Wendy a bit shocked about the amount of care she has for the girl, but instead of questioning it, she just answered Joy's question because after all, Joy is giving them a big help. At this point, Wendy somehow sees Joy as their ally.

 

" no, it's just natural because she's regaining every bit of her  memories of her past lives "

 

" wait... what!? Every single of it!? " Wendy nodded her head " how and why? " Joy added.

 

" she asked for it and I gave it to her "

 

" why would you do that!? I've read the details about her past lives, it was cruel. Why would you allow her to remember such things? Those memories could hurt her! Are you nuts!? " Joy continued questioning the Angel.

 

" she asked for it, I didn't force it onto her " Wendy defends herself " I can't select certain memories that she only wants to remember, that's over my bounds. She has to go through all of her memories if she wants to unveil a memory that she has been longing to know " she calmly added despite Joy being upset.

 

" you don't have to worry about Seulgi, she's a strong girl— such bad memories won't cripple her down " she assures the Demon and gave her a soft smile.

 

Joy scoffs " worried? I'm not worried " she strongly denies. Being associated with that kind of emotion that shows vulnerability doesn't sit right on Joy's mind.

 

" ok, sure " Wendy chuckled.

 

Joy took a deep sigh " I don't get half of what's happening right now, but I won't dig any deeper "

 

" I already appreciate your involvement right now about this matter, even you can just turn away from all of this " Wendy softly smiled at the girl who got taken aback the sudden sincerity " but I would advice you to stop at where you are right now, don't get yourself involve any further " she added.

 

Joy just nodded her head, she knows that Wendy has a point and she should not stick her nose any further to Irene and Seulgi's business. She has done more than enough for the two.

 

When Joy was about to go, Wendy stopped her to say, " thank you very much, Joy " the Demon could feel the sincerity of Wendy just from her voice and heck, Joy didn't know that her name would sound that beautiful not until the Angel has uttered her name.

 

Not sure of how to react, Joy resorted to just nodding her head as a response and left.

 

Throughout the day, Wendy spent her entire time right beside Seulgi, watching over the girl and waiting for Seulgi to finally wake up. She's not planning on leaving the girl's side even for a second, she wants to be there as soon as Seulgi opens her eyes because she knows for sure that the girl would need support from someone and Wendy wants to be that someone.

 

" Seulgi? " Wendy was alerted when Seulgi's fingers moved a bit, she quickly held Seulgi's hand tightly as she repeatedly utters the girl's name " Seulgi? Wake up... " she softly says.

 

Slowly, Seulgi began to open her eyes, and the moment she did, tears have quickly flooded on her eyes. She was gasping for air as if she just got back into life, her body is aching so bad but what's hurting even worse was her heart— every bit of her memories has come back into her, including her guilt and regret for every shameful action she has done.

 

" Seulgi... " Wendy cooed as she wipes Seulgi's tears away that seems to be endless " hush... I'm here " she assures the girl with her kind eyes. Seulgi garnered every ounce of strength that she has to sit down and rush inside Wendy's embrace.

 

" Seungwan " Seulgi sobs as Wendy gently rubs the girl's back to somehow calm her down " Seungwan... I'm sorry... I'm sorry for not recognizing you, for leaving you all alone... I'm sorry for everything " she repeatedly apologizes.

 

Wendy couldn't help but feel her heart getting filled, she felt alive more than ever. After all the decades she has spent all alone as she watches over Seulgi face multiple miseries, all of those lonely days and the hint of hatred inside her for being left all alone have quickly vanished the moment she heard Seulgi apologize and finally recognized her. All along, Wendy was just waiting for Seulgi to soothe her loneliness of feeling alone, and now that the time has come, she couldn't be happier than she is right now. 

 

" it's okay Seulgi, it's okay " she genuinely said as she held the girl even tighter, making up to all the years she couldn't hold her properly " it's all fine now "

 

Seulgi finally calmed down after her breakdown. Wendy tucked her back in bed as she caresses the girl's hair to help her go back to sleep once again. Seulgi needed rest after crying that much—

 

" Seungwan " Wendy hummed in response. The way Seulgi addresses her by that old name made her feel weird but in a good way.

 

" Everything that happened was all my fault. My foolishness has brought us into this situation, " Seulgi said, recalling the dumbest decision she has ever made.

 

" it's all in the past now, Seulgi. We can't do anything to rewrite things that have already happened " Wendy softly said, trying hard to ease Seulgi's mind and prevent her from torturing herself. 

 

Wendy isn't aware of what Seulgi is saying. Like Joy, she only knows parts of it, but despite that, she's willing to get fully involved in the situation. In this fight, Wendy is decided that she will be standing by Irene and Seulgi's side, she'll try her best to protect them and make sure she will do something this time unlike in the past.

 

Seulgi's tears began to build upon the corner of her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter