17: Monster

Devil's contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If things are impossible to be settled by a simple and proper talk, Irene has no other choice but to go with her second option— stealing the contract. Her plan is simple, she has to sneak inside their chief's office, quickly search for the contract, steal it, and safely leave the premise. She has to move fast or else she'll be done for. The plan sounds pretty simple but it has a low chance of success rate, but failing is not an option for her today.

 

Irene's been lurking outside the building of their chief's office since the sun has set down. She's assessing the situation and waiting for the right timing to finally go inside and execute her plan. When midnight came, it's a cue for Irene to go in. 

 

On her way inside, she noticed a familiar figure sneaking in as well. She slowly approached that person and was shocked to see who it is—

 

Irene frowned " Joy? " the other Demon almost squealed, Joy's eyes were filled with terror but she eventually felt relieved to see that it was Irene " what are you doing here? " Irene confusedly asked.

 

Joy quickly put her index finger on her lips and carefully looked around " tone it down, will you? Do you want to get caught? " Joy annoyedly asked, still looking wary about their surrounding.

 

" what are you even doing here? " Irene asked again with her lowered her voice " and where have you been? " since their heated argument last time, Irene never saw Joy come home since then though she has already expected that to happen. It may not seems like it but Joy's pretty sensitive.

 

Joy subtly rolled her eyes and pouted " just... I'm busy with my client " she answered.

 

Irene nodded her head although she's not completely believing Joy's reason " are you here to see the chief? He's not here " 

 

" no... " Joy frustratedly scratched her head " I'm here to get that damn contract you're whining about " she added making Irene frown a bit, she wasn't expecting that from Joy.

 

" Why...? Why would you do that for me? "

 

" I don't know! Stop asking me damn questions that I have no answer for and let's just get this done, jeez " Joy annoyedly said and began walking inside the building.

 

The truth is, Joy saw and heard Irene and Seulgi's conversation that night. She doesn't really get why the two were acting like that, for a 'client and Demon' relationship, it's so odd to see that kind of intimacy. She doesn't get why Irene is acting that terrified, she was so confused to see Irene showing a lot of emotion with her eyes as if she's not a Devil at all. 

 

Despite not getting everything, seeing and witnessing that kind of scenario is enough to make Joy want to help somehow. Is it because of the friendship that I have developed with Irene and Seulgi? She isn't that certain if that's really the reason for her rash actions but Joy oath to figure out what's happening with her once they retrieve the contract.

 

The two Demons easily snuck into their chief's office— it was easier than they expected it to be. The place is dark and quiet making them somehow feel terror, adding the tension they are feeling about the possibility of getting caught. 

 

Despite feeling an enormous fear, they didn't waste any more time and began to search for the contract.

 

" why? " Joy softly asked as she rummages through some drawers.

 

" huh? " 

 

" Why are you so eager to nullify your contract with Seulgi? You can have your promotion after collecting her soul and you know the consequence you'll face, right? You'll either face a huge punishment or get terminated " Joy glanced at Irene who paused for a second due to the sudden curiosity of the Demon " so why are you willing to take risks? I don't get it. What can you get from foolishly doing that? "

 

" do you know what love is? " Irene asked.

 

" yes, of course. It's human's useless emotion that makes them vulnerable, fragile, and weak. What about it? "

 

Irene looked at Joy, giving the Demon a soft smile " it indeed makes someone weak, but it also makes someone do things they never think they could do. Love makes someone powerful as well "

 

" what are you saying? You sound as if you are fully knowledgable about that " Joy clowns Irene, a Demon, for giving her more insight about love.

 

" I am knowledgable because I am in love right now. I have been in love for decades with the same person " Joy frowned, she wanted to laugh and think that Irene's playing with her but the girl looks too serious to be joking right now " how much love can someone be capable of giving? I figured it all out when I met Seulgi " Irene smiled as she mentioned her love's name.

 

" wait... what!? " Joy exclaimed.

 

" you asked why I'm doing this, right? I'm doing this to protect Seulgi. I'm here to retrieve the contract so I can protect her properly, I can't safeguard her if I'm the danger. Nullifying the contract is one of the things I should do in order to secure her safety "

 

" what are you saying? Are you high right now? " Joy still couldn't believe what she's hearing.

 

" I know it makes no sense for you but I really do hope that you will learn the beautiful meaning of love— I wish that someday you'll meet someone who can teach you how to love, like what Seulgi did for me "

 

Joy subtly got lost in her thoughts after listening to Irene. The Devil made it sound like love is the most beautiful and fun thing in this world, it makes Joy question her perspective of fun and beautiful. Is love more beautiful than our promotion and stopping from collecting human's nasty soul?

 

" I found it! " Irene softly exclaimed and quickly pulled the contract out. She hid it inside her coat and hurriedly looked at Joy " let's go now " the Demon got back to reality and nodded her head.

 

The two were about to go when they sense footsteps approaching. They exchanged glances. One thing is for sure, once they get caught they are both going to be so doomed.

 

Joy courageously looked at Irene " I'm going out there and if it happened to be chief, I'm going to distract him. I'll do that while you find a way to escape quietly " she said.

 

" Are you crazy!? "

 

Joy chuckled " maybe I am. After all, I'm sacrificing my limb for that dumb love of yours so you better be sure that love is really beautiful like you're claiming it to be because if not, I'm the one who's going to tear off your limb " she shrugs " go " Joy sternly said and about to go out when Irene grabbed her wrist—

 

" Are you stupid!? I'm not leaving you here! Hold my hand and we're going to transport " 

 

Joy shrug Irene's hand away " oh, c'mon, using our power will just blow us up, even more, he will sense us. Just go, jeez " Joy rolled her eyes. 

 

Irene bit her lip, she's in no position to refuse Joy's help " thank you... I assure you, love is the most beautiful thing in this whole wide world and I'm sorry for saying things to you last time and for punching you "

 

Joy raised her eyebrow " what the are you saying, sounding like this is going to be our last conversation? I'm not going to die, for Pete's sake! " she shakes her head and bravely opened the door to see who it is. She shut the door close and looked around—

 

" miss... " 

 

" ! " Joy jumped out when someone suddenly approached her. It wasn't their chief, it was an old woman who's pushing a cart full of cleaning equipments " damn it old woman! " she shouted as she tries to collect her .

 

" Watch your language! " the old woman shouted back.

 

" jeez " Joy rolled her eyes and opened the door again, checking if Irene has escaped " that damned Demon,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter