18: Seulgi's Prayer

Devil's contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

" still not waking up? " Joy asked.

 

Seulgi weakly shakes her head. It's been two days since Seulgi almost lost her life and Irene killed that man and since then, she hasn't wakened up. It makes Seulgi feel worried to death, anxious about the possibility that Irene would never open her eyes again. Fortunately, Joy is there to assure her that Irene would be fine and will be waking up soon so there's nothing to worry about.

 

" Joy, why does Irene tried to steal the contract? " Seulgi asks " I heard what they were talking about that night and that man said that the contract that Irene has retrieved wasn't the original one " Joy tightly shut her eyes out of frustration, they got played.

 

" I'm not sure if I should be the one saying this to you but... Irene wishes to nullify her contract with you "

 

" why? " she confusedly asks.

 

" I don't know but she mentions about love, that she loves you and every risk is worth taking just to protect you " Joy softly laughed " a Devil confidently talking about loving someone, a human on top of it "

 

Seulgi was a bit taken aback when Joy mentioned love. Does Irene love me? She has never said that before to me...

 

" Joy, do you know anything about Irene? Something that I didn't know. That man has mentioned about things I couldn't understand, he mentioned Irene's memory and about how I'm the key to awaken something inside Irene " Seulgi's been pondering about what that man has said that night but even how hard she thinks about it, she couldn't perceive the intended meaning of it.

 

Joy smiled sadly " that ferocious Devil snapped at me a couple of days ago, saying that I don't know anything about her, not even a bit. I got mad over it because I've known her for hundred years now but I guess she's just stating the truth— " she looked at Seulgi " I don't know anything about Irene " she honestly said.

 

When Seulgi called Joy for help, the Demon immediately came running. Joy was in shock and couldn't wrap her brain to what just happened, she should be reporting the incident but instead of doing that, she chose to help Irene. If the words about the incident go out, Irene would face a huge punishment, and Joy's preventing that to happen.

 

" Irene sees you as her friend, she might not show it but she cares about you " Seulgi pats the Devil's shoulder " she might pretend like she doesn't care but deep inside she watches over you. And right now, she has no one else to rely on except you, Joy. We don't know who will attack us again, I'm not sure who to trust anymore "

 

Thinking about what happened that night, Seulgi can't help but feel paranoid every time. She couldn't even sleep properly at night, thinking that maybe someone out there is planning to harm her or Irene. In this kind of situation, she wishes she could do something, that she have an ability to fight back and not be just a mere human being that's a burden for Irene and Joy.

 

" that night, he told me that Irene's sleeping memories have been awakened and that I also have memories I couldn't recall. If that Demon calls me a key then it might mean that I have something in me, right? "

 

" what do you mean? " Joy frowns " did he really said that to you? " Seulgi nodded her head and told Joy about the things that Yunho has told her— Irene's memory, how he called their fate tragic, Irene being a monster, and how hell is planning something about Irene.

 

" It sounds like you and Irene are connected even before you met her as a Demon who can grant your desires— " 

 

" what if I'm not just a mere human being? What if I'm more than that? " Seulgi beamed, looking hopeful at Joy. If that's possible then maybe she could be as strong as Irene or Joy, if that's the case then she can protect Irene.

 

" What else could you be? A Demon like us? You can never be a Demon, you're too kind to possess evil nature in your soul " Joy shakes her head, disagreeing with Seulgi's theory.

 

" if I'm not evil then... an Angel maybe? " Seulgi slowly said, tilting her head as she looks at Joy's reaction.

 

Joy raised her eyebrow. She has been always thinking that Seulgi could be an Angel because of how kind she is and now that Seulgi's mentioning it, she couldn't help but get goosebumps. But Joy couldn't wrap her head to that idea, she was also considering the possibility that Seulgi heard wrong things and is just losing her due to what happened, after all, human's mental vulnerability is very fragile. What happened that night might have damaged her head. Oh, this poor creature.

 

" Can you look at it? Can you look through my head? Can you wake it up? " Seulgi grabbed Joy's arms and lightly shook it up, leaning her head towards Joy. 

 

Joy frowned and pushed Seulgi away from her " what do you expect me to do? Split your head open? Wakey, wakey, Seulgi's memories " she comedically said as she sighs " how do you think Irene recovered her memory? " screw this, entertaining the absurd possibility of Seulgi being a celestial being won't hurt. This might help Irene. Joy thought to herself.

 

Seulgi paused for second and started thinking so hard about the past happenings " there's this one time when Irene suddenly changed— especially her affection towards me. It was a few days after the fight between her and Wendy. I asked Irene to talk to Wendy to try and fix things and that day, when I came back home from the university I saw Irene at the couch unconscious, I thought she was sleeping. When she woke up, she suddenly hugged me and started crying and saying things I couldn't understand. She even mentioned a girl that she said that she loves " Seulgi subtly rolled her eyes when she recalls the girl that Irene's been mentioning that day.

 

" and that day, I never saw Wendy again " Seulgi looked at Joy with her eyes wide open " does Wendy have something to do with this? " she asks.

 

Somehow everything makes sense to Joy now. The reason why Irene is so sensitive about Wendy and how the Angel got suddenly captured after successfully hiding from her captors for a very long time. Maybe it's because she used her powers to awaken Irene's memory.

 

Joy looked at Seulgi with shock " oh my... could you really be... something "

 

 

" aren't we there yet? " Seulgi huffs, she's tired of walking. 

 

The two have been walking non-stop. Seulgi didn't expect that they are going to hike when Joy said that she knows someone that could help them.

 

" stop complaining and get moving. If we move fast, we'll be there before the sun sets " Joy nags.

 

" where are we even going!? " Seulgi asks as she stops for a second, catching her breath and letting her feet rest " I'm hungry " she added.

 

Joy rolled her eyes as she looks at the girl " stop looking for foods. Look at your belly, you look like 8 months pregnant, jeez— if I were Irene and I wake up to this " Joy looked at Seulgi from head to toe " I'd question myself about that love " she shakes her head.

 

" oh, wow, thanks, " Seulgi sarcastically said.

 

" you're welcome " Joy faked smile.

 

They started walking again. They are in the middle of nowhere right now, they are surrounded by tall trees, and the trail they are walking through is super muddy and slippery but not even once Joy has tried to help Seulgi. Joy would always just shout and nag at Seulgi for being slow and such. The Devil doesn't know the concept of being a gentlewoman.

 

After walking for an hour and a half, they could finally see a little cabin by the middle of the forest. 

 

" whose house is that? Do you know an Angel like Wendy that lives here? " Seulgi asks.

 

Joy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter