Twenty

What If?

Requested by SungJewel - where Moonbyul starts working at the same club Minseok used to work in, and confronts him about his past
 



'Well, I think it's pretty cool - bartending.'
'It doesn't pay that well,' Jongdae argued.
'But it's fun.'
'Life isn't just about having fun - you should also be able to sustain yourself.'
'Yeah - settle down,' Hani chimed in, shrinking into her seat when Moonbyul glared at her with emerald eyes.
'Just because you found your mate first, doesn't mean you get all cocky with me.'
'Don't start a fight again,' Jongdae sighed.

'Oh, please, daddy? We have enough money, anyway, because dad's a Royal. Why can't I?'
'There's more to it than---'
'I already spoke to Baekhyun-oppa and even helped him out for a week.'
'You what?!'

'I already knew,' Minseok added, entering the living room and plopping down beside Jongdae. 'Let her go ahead - I don't see anything wrong with it.'
'But---'
'This is way better than something else that can be paid for at the club,' Minseok whispered into Jongdae's ear, pulling away and nodding.
'Go ahead, Moonbyul.'
























'Hey, pretty girl,' a clubber whistled, winking at Moonbyul who only smiled as she poured a drink out for someone.
'How may I help you?'
'Do you have a twin by any chance named "Xiumin"?'
Chalking it up to the usual drunk talks she'd encountered in the past month, she politely shook her head.
'Who is this damn Xiumin? This is the fifth guy asking me this month.'

'Shame,' he hummed, leaning heavily against the counter to get a closer look at Moonbyul. 'I could swear you look just like him.'
'I'm sorry to disappoint, but I don't have a twin.'
'He was amazing,' the stranger went on, ignoring what Moonbyul had said. 'Hot body, firm muscles--- amazing moves. And the things that he could do with his hands... best night I've ever had at this club.'
'I see.'
The stranger fished for his phone, fumbling for a few moments. Taking it as a sign that the conversation had ended, Moonbyul turned to serve other people.

She jumped as a phone was right into her face and she leaned back, holding the man's wrist to steady the grip.
'Look! You look exactly like Xiumin.'
Moonbyul peered at the photo, eyes wide when she recognized the man in question.

'I-I... I don't think so,' she shook her head, completely in denial.
'Let me show you this video--- if only I could watch him dance once more'

Moonbyul grabbed the phone, her lips pursed as she watched the video. On one hand, she felt embarrassed and wanted to throw the phone away but on the other, curiosity gripped her tightly.


'I... could you please send this to me?' she finally asked, whipping her own phone out.
























A week had passed since then. Moonbyul replayed the video and stared at the picture every single night, the endless questions gnawing at her.

She jumped as Minseok squeezed her shoulder from behind, pouring out some coffee for himself before sitting beside her at the table.
'Did you make this? It's come out well,' he hummed, sighing happily and leaning back.

'D-Dad... I h-have something to ask you.'
Thrown off by Moonbyul's stammering, Minseok sat up and nodded. She pulled her phone out with trembling fingers before showing him the picture. Minseok's breath hitched and Moonbyul felt her heart beat faster as she played the video.

'I-Is this r-really you?' she asked in a whisper, afraid of her father's pale features. Minseok pursed his lips before giving a tiny nod, stiff as Moonbyul let out a choked gasp.
Jongdae walked in, humming a merry tune to himself. He screeched to a stop as he caught Moonbyul's tears and frowned.

'What's wrong, Byulie?'
'Both of you--- you knew!' she burst into tears, shaking as Minseok pulled her into his lap. She buried her face in his neck. Alarmed, Jongdae hugged her from behind and pressed comforting kisses to the back of her head.

'What are you talking about, Byulie?'
'Watch this.'
He took the phone and played the video, eyes wide as a blush crept up his neck.












'D-Dad... I just... why?'
'Let's just say I was reckless back then.'
'... Is that why you let me bartend?'
'What do you mean?'
'I... I don't know,' the younger alpha sighed, moving to rest her legs on Jongdae's lap as he massaged them. She hid her face in Minseok's neck and took in a deep breath.

'Does anyone know?'
'Other than Baekhyun, Lu Han, Jongdae and now, you? Nobody. And I never expected you to find out. How...?'
'You never asked what club I work at,' she weakly smiled. The three of them sat in silence, marred by Moonbyul's sniffles.

'Are you ashamed of me, Byul?'
'... N-No, I... no.'
Minseok let out a long exhale at that, pressing a firm kiss to his daughter's temple and murmuring an apology.

'I... do you ever regret having worked there? As a stripper?'
'I wasn't a stripper,' Minseok shook his head. 'Entertainer, not a full-blown stripper, and definitely nothing more... I don't regret having worked there - that's how I met your father.'
Moonbyul scrunched her nose up, and Minseok shook his hands urgently.

'I mean, it was never with anyone else, just him---'

'I don't need to know more, dad,' Moonbyul yelled in protest.

'Right. Sorry,' her father said quietly as a hush settled in for a few seconds. 



'... When did you quit?'
'A little before we had Jongin.'
'... Okay... do you ever feel like going back?'
'Not really. It was thrilling to work there, yes. But I'm perfectly comfortable with the way things are even now.'








Even though she had come to terms with her father's secret, Moonbyul decided to quit bartending a month later.

'What gives?' Minseok asked, nodding as Moonbyul handed him some blueprints.
'Shifting from a club to architecture - I guess it's in my blood,' she smirked, dodging the playful hit aimed at her.