Fifteen

What If?

 

BONUS - KAISOO BACKSTORY (haha I decided to write this on my own, nobody requested it as such).
PS. do note that the chapters aren't really in chronological order as it depends on the requests that come in, wihch are scattered in time frames. Yeah, some updates go hand-in-hand but most of them are inconsistent with the time frame.

 



'Stay still, why don't you?' Jongin groaned, hauling the soaking-wet Terrier onto his lap and towel-drying it. The dog barked and struggled in his hold, whimpering when Jongin's eyes glowed a dull green. The alpha smirked triumphantly and grabbed a blow-dryer.
'Good boy.'























'You stink of wet dog,' someone blanched.
'Just another day, I guess,' Jongin laughed.
'Oh, by the way... if you wanna hit the showers, forget about it - there are only two funcional stalls today, and both have a long line for them.'
' it, I'll go for lunch, then. Thanks for the heads-up, Kiseop!'
So saying, the Royal sprayed some deodrant on and changed into a simple shirt and a pair of shorts before heading out.


































', I forgot my wallet,' Jongin cursed, patting himself down once more, only to come up empty-handed.


After a few moments, Jongin made a call and tapped his foot.

'Yeah?'
'Kiseop! I forgot my wallet---'
'Guessed as much. I found Cookie playing with it--- don't worry, everything's fine. My break starts in ten minutes, I'll come there with it.'
'Thanks---'

Jongin bumped into someone, dropping his phone.
'I should stop walking around when I talk,' he sighed, bending down but the other male picked it up and handed it to him.

'I'm sorry,' a smooth voice apologized. Jongin took his phone and looked up, eyes widening as he took in the features of the male before him.
The man was shorter than him by a few inches and had petit shoulders, larde eyes and heart-shaped lips. The man bowed his head a little and smiled lightly.
'You're phone's okay - nothing's happened to it, that's a relief.'

'Yeah...' was all Jongin murmured. Suddenly, he was hyper-aware of everything around him - the other man's breathing, the blood pumping in his ears, the beats of his own heart, the buzz of people talking around them...

He saw the stranger frown weirdly at him and Jongin blinked.
'Nice contacts,' he whistled. 'That's a rare colour to find - my friend's been looking for green contacts for a while now, but she just can't seem to get them anywhere. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy them?'
Jongin blinked again.
'Oh, er... I uh... I bought them on a... trip to Japan,' he lamely said. The stranger nodded and said something - Jongin was too fixated on his features to pay attention - before bowing once more and leaving. The alpha snapped out of his daze and watched the man disappear through the backdoor of the restaurant when someone yelled out a "Chef Do! You're needed". He caught a glint in the restaurant's clean window and peered closely, eyes wide.

His eyes were glowing emerald, the golden shards in them twinkling almost mockingly.


Kiseop snapped him out of his daze by clapping a hand onto his shoulder.
'Here's your wallet,' he chuckled, pressing it into Jongin's hand. 'You owe me one - Cookie would have--- you okay, man?'
'Change of plans. Tell boss I'm taking the rest of today off - something important came up.'
Ignoring Kiseop's calls for him, Jongin power-walked to where his car was parked and drove away.



























Minseok raised a brow at his son, taking a sip of black coffee before clearing his throat.
'Are you going to tell me anytime soon, or what?'
'I'm waiting for dad to come, too.'
The older Royal nodded, leaning back in his seat quietly and studying Jongin's tense posture. The front door opened and they looked up, the older male smiling at his mate.

'I thought you weren't going to return till before dinner?' Jongdae asked, plopping down beside his mate and resting his cheek on the older's shoulder. 'And Jongin, what---'
'Help,' their son muttered, looking up with reddening eyes. Jongdae frowned and sat upright.
'What's going on here?'


'I don't... I don't know, I don't know,' Jongin pleaded, emptying his glass of water with one gulp.
'Tell me from the beginning,' Jongdae urged.


'W-Well... I was on my break and went out for lunch to that restaurant nearby. I... I don't know, I just feel drawn to that place. It's like... there's something pulling me to it. So I went there as I always do. Then I was just outside making a call to one of the guys when... when... dads, I think I've finally met him.'
Complete silence. Jongin looked up, an encouraging nod from his younger father spurring him on to continue speaking.

'I--- someone bumped into me and when I turned around and we spoke... I felt hot all over, all of a sudden. Through the glass' reflection, I could see that my eyes were changing colour... I... I don't know what's going on!'

Minseok silently stared at Jongin.
'Don't know or don't want to accept?' he challenged in a quiet voice, his eyes piercing into his son's. 'Tell me, son, what's your human age right now?'
'I... n-nineteen! W-Why?'

'Minseok, you don't mean...' Jongdae gasped incredulously.
'Make a call to Cheolyong-hyung,' Minseok instructed his lover, heading for their bedroom to change.

'W-What--- what's going on?'
Jongdae ignored the young alpha, busy on the phone.

'H-Hey, are you free for a bit? ... No, we're not meeting up for drinks right now--- it's an emergency, could we come over? ... Yeah, we'll be there in half an hour. ... Nachos? I--- okay, okay. We'll br--- hello? ... He cut the call,' Jongdae grumbled, pocketing his phone with a sigh.

'What's going on?' Jongin repeated.
'We're going to see Cheolyong-hyung.'
'Why---'
'Changsun-hyung was a human when Cheolyong-hyung realized they were mates,' Jongdae started, grabbing the forgotten mug of black coffee and downing it. He grimaced at the bitter taste and stuck his tongue out.
'I need to stay awake for this one,' he coughed. 'Anyway. He would know what to do - what you should do.'






























'You're kidding!' Cheolyong exclaimed, holding Jongin at an arm's length with a small grin. He squeezed the tanned male's shoulder and turned to Minseok.
'You may want to leave him with me for, let's say... a week. This is going to take a lot of time.'
'What do you mean?' Jongdae piped up.
'Well, since his mate's a human, it's going to take much more time. Humans don't just dive in, now, do they? They barely feel a mate's bond as strong as us. They need to be pursued, courted, all that jazz. To actually convince him that you're the one... let's just hope for the best.'
'What?' Jongin spluttered.

'It'll take from at least... I'd say... a few months to years, even.'
'What?! No, wait, how can we even be this sure that he's the one for Jongin?'
'It works differently with humans,' Cheolyong shook his head. 'With us, our eyes may not necessarily glow on the first meeting. Well, they would if we were caught off-guard like Jongin was.'
'Which is why our eyes glowed when we first saw each other,' Minseok thought out loud and Jongdae nodded. 'We weren't expecting to meet Wolves, let alone our mate.'

'Exactly. But here, it was unexpected so it wasn't controlled. Tell you what? Sit down, let's have a long talk.'



































That long talk led to Jongin driving early to the restaurant to milk information out of a waiter - "when does Chef Do arrive? When does he have his breaks? For how long? When does he leave?"
He also made peculiar requests almost every other day. "I'll have Chef Do's recommendation of the day," he'd say, leaving the waiter scratching his head. And ever since, Chef Do made it a point to come out and personally ask Jongin for his opinion on the pick of the day.

"The vegetables are a fresh pick", "This is the most popular dish in town right now", "I've taken the liberty to add a twist to this dish" and so on - Jongin honestly couldn't care less about what Chef Do did to the dishes as long as he was granted an audience.

After the sixth dish, though, they were accompanied with small notes.

"I hope you like today's pick! You seem to like chicken, considering what you order for starters."

"I mixed two recipes for this one - hope you don't mind..."

"Are you in a hurry? You've ordered for soup this time. Take it easy!"

"I'm sorry that today's order took longer than usual that I had to have it delivered to you - I saw that you'd dropped your take-out while crossing the road. While we don't really serve noodles on Thursdays, I decided to make an exception for you. Hope you like it - it's got chicken cubes in it!"



These were replied to through post-its stuck to the undersides of the restaurant plates. Jongin began to appreciate the little things Chef Do did for him, a small smile always on his lips as he awaited the day's pick eagerly.

But one day, Jongin's food came with no note, leaving him frowning.

He spied a waiter rushing to the kitchens just as he got up to leave.
'Weird.'



Jongin was about to cross the road, startled when he was pulled into an alley. A threatening growl left him, but he visibly relaxed when he saw who was gripping his arm.

'Good thing I caught you in time,' Chef Do grinned. His gummy smile elicited a turn of the lips from Jongin.
'This may sound crazy, but I want to get to know you and be your friend - if you'd like, that is. Nobody's ever... well... you're the first one to come this often and ask for my pick. Usually, people don't care - they just eat and leave. But--- anyway, would you be my friend?'
The alpha nodded, lips stretched into a wide smile.

'Great! Hi, I'm Do Kyungsoo,' the chef grinned, sticking a hand out to firmly shake Jongin's.
'I'm Kim Jongin.'


They awkwardly stared at each other, the alpha raising an eyebrow when he noted Kyungsoo's phone buzzing incessantly.
'Sorry, that's just my friend,' Kyungsoo waved off. 'My favourite actress is setting up a shoot nearby.'
'Ah, I see,' Jongin nodded. 'I know an actress myself, actually.'
'Really? Who?'
'Lee Sohee---'
Kyungsoo let out a sound of surprise, gushing over the name before looking up with wide eyes and a red face.

'I'm sorry, I just--- I love her, she's amazing.'
'Would you like to meet her?'
'R-Really? You'd do that for me?'
'I don't see why not,' the Royal shrugged, chuckling when Kyungsoo nodded quickly.
































After a rather eventful night with Sohee at the restaurant, Kyungsoo couldn't seem to thank Jongin enough and decided that a date would suffice, which is how the two found themselves balancing drinks and buckets of popcorn at a movie theatre.



Their first date led to the human having a great time, which led to one date per week. After three long months of movies, dinners and quiet late-night walks, the mysterious human had finally given consent to being Jongin's boyfriend. That night, when Jongin's phone had buzzed with a sweet text from the human, he had transformed right in his parents' living room and kept yipping and jumping around. Even though he barely looked like them in his human form, he displayed characteristics gained from his parents quite vividly once in his Wolf form - he was large and well-built like Minseok,  moved around a lot in his dreams and had a skip in his step like Jongdae; and looked like a perfect mix between the earthen-coloured omega and the snow-white alpha. 




































Jongin woke up to the smell of food being cooked. He stretched in bed and grabbed a shirt, lazily putting it on and padding towards the kitchen where his boyfriend was.
'You're awake! Dinner's almost ready,' Kyungsoo hummed, laughing when Jongin leaned against the counter beside him.
'What?' the alpha asked, cocking an eyebrow.
'Your shirt's inside out.'
'See if I care,' the taller male shrugged, helping himself to a glass of water. He leaned against the counter again and quietly stared at Kyungsoo while the other added some spices to the food. He brought the gas to simmer and looked up at Jongin, chuckling again at the inside-out shirt.

Without any warning, the Royal cupped Kyungsoo's face and brought their lips together for a short kiss, smiling when the human only grinned up at him.

'Took you long enough,' he hummed, leaning up for another kiss.























































Kyungsoo was starting to get frustrated.
Six months had passed since they'd started dating. Sure, they fooled around here and there but never went all the way, and it frustrated him to no ends.


It was just another day of them making out fervently on the couch, groping here and there to elicit groans and mewls. When Jongin's hand crept down to palm at Kyungsoo's , the human pulled away noisily and looked up with a small frown.
'What?'
'Are we going all the way this time?'
Jongin stared at Kyungsoo with conflicted eyes.

'Kyungsoo---'
'Why do you always push me away and walk off whenever I try to take things further?'
'I'm not ready for it yet, I'm sorry. It's not you, it's me,' the alpha rushed, not wanting to give the real reason. Kyungsoo visibly relaxed and ran his fingers through Jongin's hair.

'Take all the time you need, then. I'll wait,' he reassured, pressing a kiss to Jongin's cheek.






















Ever since the New Year had started, Jongin had been rather skittish and stiff around his boyfriend. Especially when February came around.
Although concerned, Kyungsoo didn't push the matter - if the taller male wanted to tell Kyungsoo, he would at his own pace and the older was fine with that.













'Jongin? Why're we here?' Kyungsoo asked, looking around at the forest cover. He was met with tense silence and frowned as the hand holding his began to shake. They entered a clearing, meeting up with Jongdae, Minseok, Changsun, Cheolyong and Sanghyun.

'No offense, Jongin,' Kyungsoo leaned up to whisper into his boyfriend's ear. 'But why're we spending Valentine's Day in a forest?'
Jongin turned around, his hands resting on Kyungsoo's waist.

'I need... to tell you something,' he croaked. The older's wide eyes unsurely looked around to the others before landing back on his boyfriend's, unanswered questions and worries swimming in them.

'I... what if I told you I'm a Wolf?'
The smaller male frowned and raised an eyebrow inquisitively. Jongin shook his head and pulled Kyungsoo closer.
'I mean it. What if I told you I am a Wolf? Like... like in that book I showed you last week!'
'About... about supernatural "races" and all?'
A nod. Kyungsoo pursed his lips and looked around again - everyone's faces were serious.

'I'd... say I need proof first. Because, as fascinating as it all is, I'd need to see it with my own eyes first.'

Jongin hesitantly pulled back, starting to remove his clothes quickly to get it over with.
'J-Jongin!' he heard his human mate stutter. The young alpha squeezed his eyes shut and crouched, wasting no time in transforming into his true form. Soon, there was a huge brown and white Wolf in his place, its emerald green eyes staring directly at Kyungsoo. The boy paled and he took a tentative step back, stumbling down and flinching when the Wolf towered over him. He felt hot and heavy breaths fan his face before something wet nudged his soft cheek - it was Jongin's nose. The Wolf let out a puff of breath that pushed the human's fringes back and Jongin raised a paw, slowly bringing it down to rest on Kyungsoo's thigh. The human followed the movement closely, his shaky hand resting atop the paw after a few moments.

Slowly but surely, the human began to Jongin's leg, his other hand around the scruff of Jongin's neck. His fingers threaded through the fur and he leaned closer, pressing his face into Jongin's neck - it smelled of fresh water, damp mud, and something musky that was entirely Jongin. Kyungsoo let out a loud sigh and lightly placed his lips on Jongin's muzzle, his grip tightening when he felt Jongin's tongue his jaw. He moved away to run his hands all over Jongin's muscles, even going as far as the tail that hit him in the chest when he poked the Wolf's side experimentally.


Jongdae and the others looked on silently. Changsun and Cheolyong were immersed in reminiscing while Minseok and Jongdae seemed relieved. Sanghyun was also visibly relaxed, but still ready to spring into action in case Kyungsoo would go into a panic attack of sorts.



Kyungsoo broke out of his reverie when he heard Jongin's whine and he scratched behind Jongin's ear, whispering for him to turn back. The young alpha pulled away and complied, presenting himself stark before his lover.

'Kyungsoo,' Jongin pleaded, his hands gripping the older's shoulders. Kyungsoo looked away with a dark shade of red painting his face and he squirmed, muttering for the other to wear his clothes. The young Royal hurriedly got dressed and tumbled down beside his boyfriend, his hand itching to grasp Kyungsoo's.

'Let's all sit down,' Minseok proposed. 'There's a lot we need to tell you.'


























Kyungsoo closed himself off to Jongin for the rest of the month, making excuses not to meet up and the like. The alpha was distraught but held himself back from chasing Kyungsoo.


















Jongin had finished his shift and was waving out to Kiseop, checking that he had taken everything before heading for the parking lot. He screeched to a stop in his tracks when a familiar scent hit him and he looked up, eyes glowing emerald at the figure leaning against his car.

'Stop that,' the figure sighed. 'Others will see.'
Jongin silently unlocked his car and slid in, grabbing Kyungsoo's face and smashing their lips together once Kyungsoo was seated in the passenger's seat.

'I missed you so much,' he murmured into the feverish kiss, not giving his boyfriend even a moment to catch up. Kyungsoo laced their fingers together and smiled, resting their foreheads together as the kiss broke off.
'I just needed some time... I missed you, too.'










































It was a rather warm day of June when Kyungsoo woke up to someone shaking him awake.
'What--- Jongin? How did you--- oh, the spare key.'
'Get up,' the alpha grinned. 'I'm gonna have siblings today!'
Kyungsoo sat up immediately, eyes wide.































'They're... they're adorable,' Kyungsoo breathed, cradling one of the females in his arms and staring at her with big eyes.
'Do you want to feed it?' Jongin asked, holding his other sister in his arms while Minseok tended to his son.
'Yes, please.'
Junmyeon handed the three of them milk bottles, instructing Kyungsoo on how to hold the pup.

The caramel-coloured pup whined, quietening down as she led on the soft nozzle of the bottle. Caught in a trance, Kyungsoo chuckled when she squirmed and planted her paws against his arm, scrambling for a proper grip.

'Have you decided any names yet?'
'The one Kyungsoo is holding is Jimin - your father and I had decided that long ago. We're yet to name the other two.'
'Jimin...' Kyungsoo murmured the name, the pup's pale belly with his little finger and chuckling when she let out a tiny whine.










Kyungsoo was completely taken by the three pups, often found at Minseok and Jongdae's house, tending to the pups whenever possible.

Whenever they went out for runs, he'd find himself slipping off of Jongin's back and making a dash for the yipping trio. The pups would bounce into his lap and fight for his attention. Zitao would always lie on Kyungsoo's chest, staring up at him with blue eyes and pawing at his soft cheeks. Jimin would playfully grip her jaws around Kyungsoo's arm, sometimes even holding his hand in her jaws jsut to make sure his attention is on her. Sandara would casually trot towards him and plop herself into his lap, often bringing along a plum blossom as a gift from the Prunus Mume they'd sit under.

































'You know you're the one who has to Turn him, right?'
'I-I can't,' Jongin frowned. 'I can't bring myself to hurt him like that--- isn't there another way?'
'He'll die a human, Jongin,' Seungho sighed. 'It's... look, it's complicated. He has to Turn, there's no other way---'
'I don't care that he's human---'
'You know Wolves live unnaturally longer than humans - do you want to spend the rest of your life without him once he dies a human?'
Jongin fell silent at that, lips pursed and brows knit together in a frown.
'If Cheolyong or Minseok do it, it will take longer and he... it will only be more torturous.'

Jongin gulped, thinking back to what Seungho and Changsun had told him about their own Turnings. He didn't want Kyungsoo to go through that pain, he couldn't bring himself to do it.

'You have to Turn him---'
'I'm not going to do that to him!' Jongin hissed. Just as Seungho was about to retaliate, Kyungsoo walked into the kitchen.
'Jongin? They're... they're calling us,' he said, somewhat aware of the added tension in the air.
'We have to, there's no other way,' Seungho whispered in a low voice. The human ran his hand along the expanse of his lover's arm, a solemn look in his eyes.
'Two years since you told me,' was all he said softly. 'I'm ready.'

Jongin pursed his lips and gave a terse nod.

















'We'll be out here on stand-by,' Minseok assured his son, squeezing his shoulder.
The door to the basement opened and three people stepped in - the tallest was Zitao, an omega that had inherited Jongdae's curly lips in human form and the same shade of fur in his wolf form. He was also the youngest of the trio. The next was Sandara, a short alpha who had taken after her younger father's playfullness but her older father's presence. She was the eldest of the three. The third of them was Jimin, a beta who loved to prank her siblings a lot.


'You'll do just fine; both of you will,' Zitao smiled as both his sisters gave Jongin short hugs.
Jongin looked around, his eyes finally landing on Cheolyong's figure. He approached the short-tempered alpha and looked him in the eye.
'Do you think I can do this... properly?'
'If you love him, definitely,' Cheolyong replied in an unwavering voice. Just as Jongin turned to leave, he pulled the younger back by the wrist.
'Don't hesitate, not even for a second. Just bite into his pulse and the rest will come naturally,' he reminded, finally letting the younger go. Jongin clenched and unclenched his fists before walking into the lower basement, pushing the heavy door shut behind him. Everyone immediately gathered to watch through the spy mirror with bated breaths. Byunghee clicked something on and they could hear the conversation the couple were having inside.








Jongin approached Kyungsoo slowly, collapsing into his lover's arms when the other raised them to embrace him. Kyungsoo his hair lovingly, trying to soothe the twenty-three year old in his arms. They stayed like that for a long time, and no words were exchanged. Kyungsoo linked his fingers with Jongin's and squeezed them lightly, smiling at the younger despite the nervousness in his own eyes. Jongin leaned in, tilting his head to press their lips together at the perfect angle. They shared a soft kiss, one where they both deemed the other fragile and delicate. Kyungsoo's hands were on Jongin's shoulders, the tanned male's hands cupping the other's face gently. He pushed him into the bed, afraid of deepening the kiss till the elder had wrapped his arms around his shoulders to pull him closer.

'Just in case I don't make it,' Kyungsoo panted against Jongin's lips, capturing them for a kiss when he heard a sorrowful whimper from the younger.
'Know that I love you.'

Jongin's eyes shone emerald and he hardened his resolve then and there - he wanted to hear those three precious words over and over again from those heart-shaped lips belonging to his Kyungsoo. With that in mind, Jongin lowered his gaze as the elder bared his neck. The Royal's lips sweetly kissed the skin, memorizing the fast pulse thumping below as his canines grew longer. Keeping their fingers intertwined, he pulled back and sunk his teeth in hard.



Almost instantly, Kyungsoo let out an animalistic howl and Jongin stiffened, shuddering at the piercing screams that followed. The older male writhed and screamed with agony, ripping his hands away from Jongin's to push at his shoulders and claw at his back.

Kyungsoo broke down into loud cries when Jongin didn't relent, both of them letting their natural instincts take over.
'Please, Jongin,' he sobbed incoherently. 'Please--- stop--- stop! Give me a--- please.'
His body began to convulse with shock and his eyes rolled to the back of his head.
Letting his alpha instincts take over completely, Jongin was unfazed and pinned the other down by holding his wrists over his head with one hand and wrapping the other arm round his waist.

Jongin bit in deeper, slowly feeling drained as he felt the transactions happen. He forced himself to remain fully conscious and pulled away many minutes after Kyungsoo had stilled and had gone perfectly silent. His fangs retracted and he wasted no time in at the wound. When he was finally done, he relinquished his grip on his limp lover and pressed a quiet kiss to his plush lips before dashing out of the room. 













He stumbled into a chair and panted, raising a shaking hand to his lips before registering the tears flowing down his cheeks.


































'Hey, Soo,' Jongin softly greeted, sitting on the chair in the corner. His emerald eyes shone in the dimly-lit room, focused on the frail figure curled in a corner. The sounds of chains rattling resounded before the figure faced Jongin, its posture silent and stiff.
'It's been almost a month... how are you? ... I miss you... The restaurant's been asking where you are - we've said you're still recovering from an accident. ... They've sent soup, coffee and flowers for you again...'
No reply. Jongin sighed, closing his eyes for a brief moment as he let fatigue catch up to him - he'd been staying up almost every night looking after Kyungsoo.

A meek croak snapped him out of his daze and he blinked.
'What was that? Did you---'
Kyungsoo croaked again, as if struggling to speak. Jongin immediately left the chair and crouched beside his lover, cupping Kyungsoo's face and tilting it.

'K-ill... m-me,' Kyungsoo let out, eyes hollow and skin sunken. His lips were dry and chapped, his skin was pasty and there were dried tear-tracks staining his once-full cheeks. Jongin felt his heart shatter into a million pieces and he pressed his lips to Kyungsoo's forehead, his breath stuttering.

'You'll be fine, we'll be fine,' he murmured.




























'Kyungsoo---'
A black Wolf stood before Jongin, its piercing emerald eyes looking up at him with golden shards twinkling brightly. Jongin chuckled and let the Wolf push him to the ground, lying down with the Wolf atop himself.
'You're too excited,' he noted, bringing his hands up to scratch at Kyungsoo's ears. The e closed his eyes and Jongin's hand, yipping and bouncing around while Jongin turned into a Wolf himself.

The Royal pushed Kyungsoo down and marked him with his scent, lightly nipping at his ear affectionately before letting the Wolf run around. Kyungsoo's high-pitched howl resounded, followed by Jongin's baritone.

A few seconds later, Kyungsoo bumped right into Jongin clumsily and nipped at his side. Jongin huffed with amusement when the gamma at him.

A rabbit nearby caught the gamma's attention and he stood still, staring at it before pouncing on it without a warning. Jongin growled - he was being careless - but calmly sat down and Kyungsoo eagerly dragged the rabbit to Jongin, his tail wagging furiously.

Jongin Kyungsoo's nose, forgetting the rabbit and pushing his mate down to nose at him lovingly.



All was well - they were fine.