Chapter 7

The Mafia's Doctor

Dara

 

 

"Dream car?" He asked as we got onto the highway.

 

 

"Yes." I answered, "I always wanted one but with a red leather interior." Jiyong nodded, agreeing with my taste.

 

 

"Aren't you a Doctor?" He asked, referring to my salary.

 

 

"Yeah, but I'm sort of broke at the moment. I graduated last year and still have a lot of loans to pay off from medical school."

 

 

"What borrowing money from your parents?" He questioned as he punched in the address into the GPS.

 

 

"Please follow the highlighted route." It said. "Turn left in 1.5 miles."

 

 

"I'm really independent," I said as I turned left, following the instructions.

 

 

"My parents are all the way in Busan, and my brother, he's in California. Paying for two kids that went to expensive colleges was more than I can ask for."

 

 

Jiyong

 


"You're here in Seoul all by yourself?" I asked.

 

 

If her family is all the way on the other side of America, then who is she staying with? An Aunt? A friend? Boyfriend? 

 

 

"Yeah." She said as she stayed focus on the road, "When I was in college, my grandma lived here until she passed away at Seoul Medical Center. That's the reason why I wanted to work at that hospital."

 

 

Her face expression changed drastically. Her bright smile disappeared and her vibe lessened. Instantly, I felt bad since it was me who cost Dara her job. Quick to change the mood, she asked,

 

 

"Where are we going?" She glanced at the address I punched in.

 

 

"I live around there. Is it okay if we stop by afterward? I want to talk to my landlord."

 

 

"Sure."

 


Dara

 

 

The car ride wasn't entirely silent. Right as the conversation died between us, I decided to turn on the radio to listen to music. As I drove and hummed along to the songs, I've felt somewhat comfortable with Jiyong who had his eyes glued to his phone.

 

 

I glanced at him. He's been frowning as he tapped on the screen. Curious, I strained my eyes to see what's on the screen.

 

 

"Eyes on the road, Dara." He said, monotoned. Jiyong didn't even look up from his phone.

 

 

Immediately, I changed my gaze from the phone to the road. I felt my face heat up, embarrassed that I had been caught
trying to snoop.

 

 

"Sorry," I said. "Is everything fine?"

 

 

"Swell." He coldly said as he shut off his device.

 

 

Just because curiosity got the better of me, I had missed our exit. I looked at the GPS and it started to highlight a new route. I suddenly got curious about something else.

 

 

"Jiyong?" I asked.

 

 

"What?" he sighed.

 

 

"Why am I driving?" I questioned, cautiously, "Is it because you trust me?"

 

 

Jiyong

 

 

I raised my eyebrow and looked at her. As I thought about Dara's question, I was surprised to what my answer was. I mean, I don't see her as a threat. What got me shocked was that I felt the need to make her happy after seeing her down. This was the second time this happened.

 

 

I offered her a high paying job after I ruined her career and now she is driving Marcella's $300,000 car. Instead of answering her question, I asked her the same.

 

 

"Do you trust me?"

 

 

She looked at me, taking a moment to scan my eyes as if the answer was in them.

 

 

"It's too early to tell. How do I not know that you are making me drive to my murder destination?"

 

 

Suddenly, the feeling of me wanting Dara to trust me appeared. 

 

 

"I saved your life from Joon." I reasoned.

 

 

"If I wanted you dead I would have let him kill you." 

 

 

"Why don't you want me dead?" I asked.

 

 

"You guys were doing fine without a doctor and now you need one?"

 

 

"You saved my life," I explained. "Besides, we could use some medical help. I wanted to repay you. So, I gave you this job."

 

 

"What a job!" Dara said sarcastically, "A job that can put me in prison. A job that I was forced to say yes in order for me not tohave my brains blown into bits. I wouldn't have needed to if it weren't for you." I frowned.

 

 

"This is going to be better than that job in that uptight hospital. Being apart of a mafia as powerful as this one comes with many perks. You've seen the cars and the house. Don't lie to me saying that this isn't the best thing that happened to you. I brought you into a life of luxury."

 

 

"Okay," she agreed.

 

 

"But I don't seen freedom on the list." 

 

 

"That comes with trust. Once I know for sure you aren't going to run to the police, you can go anywhere you'd like to." I promised. 

 

 

"Well, in order for me not to go to the police," she defended, "I have to know for sure you aren't going to kill me." 

 

 

Dara

 

 

Jiyong went silent, thinking. Not sure if the conversation had ended, I decided to focus back on the road. In my peripheral vision, I see Jiyong shuffling around. Afraid that he'll snap at
me again for being curious, I focused on driving.

 

 

As I made a turn, I felt something dropped into my lap. I quickly glanced down and jolted up. Jiyong had removed his gun from the inside of his jacket and placed it in my lap.

 

 

"What are you doing?" I yelped.

 

 

"I can't kill you if I don't have a gun." Jiyong shrugged.

 

 

"What if it accidentally went off in my lap, Jiyong?" I yelled at him.

 

 

"The safety is on." He said, shrugging. Jiyong adjusted his seat, making it horizontal.

 

 

"Wake me up when we get into the city."

 

 

Although the gun terrified me, I thought of his sweet action. He wanted me to trust him. I looked at the passenger seat.
Jiyong was sleeping. He had his right arm over his eyes to shield the sunlight. I watched as his chest rise and fall slowly. He looked so peaceful.

 

 

As much as I enjoyed the view of Jiyong sleeping, the sight of the empty vast of Seoul's upstates was beautiful. Five
years of living in Seoul, not once have I drove to the upstates. Unlike the city, it was spacious, calming, and quiet. Once we got into the city, I took my own route to the destination. We got to the place with 10 minutes to spare.

 

 

"Jiyong" I said. I took one hand off the wheel to gently shake him away. The hardness of his arm made me wonder if he was flexing in his sleep. I stopped nudging him when he started moving to stretch. As he did, the bottom of his shirt lifted up, revealing his V line. Flustered, I looked away.

 

 

"We almost there," I said, after clearing my throat.

 

 

He only nodded as he messed with his hair which had moved as he slept. We were a street away from where the GPS said was our final location but Jiyong told me to stop.

 

 

"Park here." He said, pointing at a space big enough for us between two cars.

 

 

"It's down the street though," I argued.

 

 

"Park here. I can walk the extra distance." 

 

 

I did what Jiyong told me and turned off the engine. He checked his hair in the mirror one last time and reached at my lap. He grabbed the gun but his hand grazed my upper thigh, causing me to shiver at his touch.

 

 

"It'll only take me a couple minutes." He said after pocketing his gun back into his gun back into his jacket.

 

 

"Can I come with you?" I asked. I pushed the button to release my seat belt. As I did, Jiyong grabbed it and buckled me in again.

 

 

"No." He sternly said.

 

 

"Why not?" I asked.

 

 

"Because I said so," Jiyong explained with an unreasonable answer.

 

 

I frowned as I watched Jiyong get out of the car. Before shutting the door he said,

 

 

"Dara."

 


"Yeah?" Had he changed his mind?

 

 

"I'm trusting you to stay in the car."

 

 

Jiyong

 


I turned around to make sure that Dara hadn't followed me before heading inside the club. The lights that lit the place was set dimly to create the mood. Loud, not too overwhelming music, was being played for the people on the dance floor. Immediately, I was met with a group of half- girls. 

 

 

"Hello, Jiyong." Luna greeted me seductively. Her fragrance was alluring.

 

 

"Long time no see, Jiyongie," said Kristal as she swung her arms around my neck. She pulled my body into her, leaning in to give me a kiss on the cheek.

 

 

"What are you here for?" Victoria asked innocently. "A good time?" 

 

 

"Actually," I said, "I came to see Psy."

 

 

"That's what Lorenzo said too." Luna frowned.

 

 

The ladies' faces went glum, sad that we weren't here for them.

 

 

"Next time, ladies," I promised as I winked at them to lift the mood.

 

 

They swooned and then departed to look for men that were interested. Kristaloffered to lead me to Lorenzo. Grabbing
my hand and walking in front of me, she pulled me through the crowd of people.

 

 

My eyes trailed from her hand, that was intertwined with mine, up her arm and down her back. She wore lacey red lingerie that exposed her curves. Her  swayed from left to right as she walked. 

 

 

We reached Lorenzo. He was sitting at the bar with a girl on his lap, busy making out with a girl I regconized. Kristal raised our hands in the air and spun herself, turning slowly to give me a good look of all of her. She smirked confidently as she twirled into me.

 

 

Kristal playfully grind her hips. I moved my hands to her waist and she giggled. Gently, I tugged her off of me. Getting the hint, she got on her toes to whisper in my ear, "Until next time." 

 

 

My eyes lingered on her as she walked away. Her and her exit, I thought as I shook my head clear from fogged up thought. I turned back to Lorenzo who was handing the girl a hundred dollar bill for her service, whispering sweet nothings in her ear.

 

Sulli giggled as she got off from his lap and stuff the money in her bra. She finally noticed my presence and started to
approach me, looking y in her black, tight dress. When Sulli got to me, she ran her hand up from my waist to my chest. 

 

 

"I'm good," I said. Being rejected, she quickly got her hand off of me and left. 

 

 

"Was that Kristal?" Lorenzo asked me he wiped off the lipstick on his mouth. I nodded, sitting down on the stool next to him.

 

 

"She looks good with that new haircut." 

 

 

"I didn't notice," I shrugged.

 

 

"Where is the doctor?" Lorenzo questioned as he looked around.

 

 

A blond girl walking past us caught his attention and his eyes followed her. The girl felt his stare and sent a flirtatious wink.

 

 

"In the car," I answered. He raised his eyebrows in qiestioning why.

 

 

"Why would I bring a doctor inside this club?" I asked him.

 

 

"To give her the mafia experience, duh," Lorenzo said. I rolled my eyes and began to walk away. 

 

 

"We should head over to Psy's office." I said as turned around to see if he was following me.

 

 

Lorenzo and I slipped away from the crowd, down the hall which led us to Psy's office. He owns many clubs like the one we were in, including the one that Kyesang's men love to go. Today we were buying Psy's security footage in hopes of getting any leaked information from drunken men.

 

 

We stopped at the door that had a sign that read, 'pimps only'. I cringed as I avoid knocking on the sign. 

 

 

"Who is it?" Psy asked.

 

 

"YG." Lorenzo answered. 

 

 

The door opened and there was Psy, the drunk he always was. His black hair was messed up, his tie was uneven, and the smell of alcohol reeked from his breath.

 

 

"Jiyong!" He shouted, overly excited. "My man!"

 

 

Psy raised his arms to hug me but I pushed him away to get inside.

 

 

" move to switch up the time on me like that, Psy." I said, sitting down on the couch. Lorenzo followed and sat beside me.

 

 

"I'm a busy man." He hiccupped as he made his way to his desk.

 

 

"The USB?" I asked.

 

 

"Right here." Psy said as he patted himself down, trying to find the pocket where he placed the USB in.

 

 

Eventually, he found it in his back pocket of his suit. Uncoordinatedly, he tossed it in our direction. It hit Lorenzo in the stomach before plopping into his lap.

 

 

"All five videos you asked for." He slurred.

 

 

"It's all in there." I raised my eyebrows.

 

 

"Don't look at me like that Jiyong." Psy said, pointing his finger at me. "Kyesang's men might be great customers, but you and I make good business. Trust me when I tell you that I'm on your side on this one."

 

 

"Pay him," I told Lorenzo.

 


As Lorenzo pulled out wads of cash, I walked out of the office. I looked downat my watch to see that we spent half an hour in the club. I've left Dara in the car for too long. 

 

 

Dara

 


I was playing with the adjustment of my seat when I spotted Jiyong walking back towards the car. I unlocked the doors for him. He opened the door and sat in the passenger seat.

 

 

"Ready?" I asked.

 

 

"Yeah." Jiyong said, looking up after buckling his seatbelt.

 

 

"So, your place?"

 

 

"Yup." I nodded as I pulled out of parking.

 

 

As quick as Seoul traffic would let me, I made it to my apartment building.

 

 

"This is where you live?" He asked. Jiyong was examining the building I lived in through the window. "Looks nice."

 

 

"It was my grandma's apartment before she died." I explained, "She's good friends with the landlady."

 

 

I drove us into the parking garage. As I parked in my spot, I was reminded of my car. It was still at the donut shop. If not,
then it must have been towed. We got out of the car and I led Jiyong tothe entrance of the building.

 

 

Jiyong

 


"I live on the second floor so I just take the stairs." She explained as we climb to the second floor.

 

 

Her apartment was behind the first door of the hall. Attached to her car keys was her home key. After unlocking the door, she opened it for me. Dara closed the door behind us and placed her keys in a bowl on a shelf next to the door.

 

 

"Doesn't look like a grandma's place." I said.

 

 

It was clean just like the living room pictures in the magazines. I was welcomed by the smell of roses and vanilla. The place was theme white and gray with hints of bold colors. On her white couch, varieties of bright, solid-colored pillows were arranged. Pictures with colors of orange, yellow, and red hung on her white walls. Gray furniture contrasted with the dark brown colored floorboards.

 

 

"I did a lot of redecorating." She admitted.

 

 

Dara walked to the gray desk by the window. She set her purse down and turned to me.

 

 

Dara

 


"Do you need anything?" I asked.

 

 

"I'm fine." He said.

 

 

"You can have a seat on the couch while I go grab my stuff." I said.

 

 

"It's okay." Jiyong said as he started to walk around to examine the room.

 

 

"Okay..." I said, unsure of what he was planning to do as he waited for me.

 

 

"I was planning to grab my stuff to bring back to the mafia house before we talk to the landlady," I explained. "She lives on the first floor so it'll be all in one trip."

 

 

"Sounds good." He said.

 

 

I left him alone in the living room. I rummaged through my closet and found two suitcases. I filled one with clothes, shoes, makeup, and other womanly necessities. In the smaller bag of the two, I placed my laptop, medical books, and books for reading,

 

 

I was finished and zipping the suitcases close when the doorbell rang. I jolted up in horror. Who could that be? Gummy? Dong Won? The police? I ran out of my room and bolted for the door. Jiyong was already looking through the peak hole. I pushed him aside and looked for myself. I sighed in relief at the sight of the old lady. It was Mrs. Oh, the landlord. 

 

 

I opened the door and greeted her with a smile. I felt Jiyong move from behind the door to beside me.

 

 

"Mrs. Oh, why are you here?" I asked, "I was about to head over to your place."

 

 

Mrs. Oh chuckled, "I was looking at the security cameras and saw you walking with this handsome man and I had to check it out for myself."

 

 

I looked at Jiyong as Mrs. Oh sat herself down on the coach. She was referring to him and Jiyong looked pleased with the
compliment.

 

 

 

"Why did you want to speak with me?" Mrs. Oh frowned in worry, "Are you planning to move out?"

 

 

"No," I said, reassuring her. Jiyong raised his eyebrows.

 

 

I walked over to Mrs. Oh was and sat across from her. Jiyong also took a seat in a single chair.

 

 

"I'm planning on taking a vacation," I told her, making up a believable lie. I didn't want her winding up upon mafia affairs.

 

 

Mrs. Oh looked pleasantly surprised.

 

 

"Not once have I seen Dara bring a man up to her apartment! Never would I imagine her going on a trip with a dashing boy
like you!" She said happily as she turned towards Jiyong.

 

 

"What's your name, handsome man?" Jiyong chuckled attractively and introduced himself with a fake name.

 

 

"Kang Ji Chul."

 

 

"I was convinced that Dara was going to die alone or turn into a lesbian." Mrs. Oh yapped, her brown eyes gleamed with happiness behind her thick seeing glasses. 

 

 

"Mrs. Oh!" I shouted in hopes of shutting her up to keep me from getting any more embarrassed. I also don't want her
associating with Jiyong furthermore.

 

 

"So how long will you be gone?" She asked, getting back on topic.

 

 

Jiyong leaned forward, interested.

 


Jiyong

 


"About three months." Dara said unsurely. I raised my eyebrow, amused. Did she not know? If you join the mafia, you're in it for life. 

 


"I want to pay the money advance but I currently don't have the money for it. I'm planning on sending you the money when it's time to pay for rent."

 

 

"Of course you can do that." Mrs. Oh said delightfully. "Tell me, where are you guys going?"

 

 

The talk about money made me remember about the cash I had in the pocket of the jacket. 

 

 

Dara

 


I was about to answer with a tropical place but the movement of Jiyong reaching in the inside pocket of his jacket made me freeze. I feared that Jiyong was revealing his gun but instead he pulled out wads of cash. Hundred bills were stacked neatly and were nicely bundled.

 

 

"This should do for more than 3 months." He said, casually tossing the money onto the coffee table in front of us.

 

 

I grabbed his money and handed it back to him, "No. Absolutely not."

 

 

Jiyong

 


"Take it," I said, pushing the money back into her hands. 

 

 

"No." She stubbornly stood her ground. "I don't want to owe or be in debt to you."

 

 

"You don't have to pay me back." 

 

 

"Are you kidding me? You think I believe that you won't hold this over my head?"

 

 

She argued. "I saw what you did to Joon because he couldn't pay you back." 

 

 

"Fine." I said, snatching the money.

 

 

Instead of pocketing the cash, I handed it to Mrs. Oh. Dara wasn't the landlady. All I had to do was to convince Mrs. Oh to take the money.

 

 

"Dara likes to be independent," I said, acting hurt.

 

 

"Sometimes she doesn't understand that all I want to do is take care of her. Please take my money and go." 

 

 

Mrs. Oh clutched the money to her chest as she swooned over my words.

 

 

"The love I feel in this room between the two of you reminds me of my younger days." She said cheerfully as she got up. 

 

 

"No. Mrs. Oh, please give the money back to him. I can pay the rent myself." Dara begged. 

 

 

Mrs. Oh pretended not to hear and continue walking. Before closing the door behind her, she said.

 

 

"You couple have fun!" 

 

--

As promised, this is the update! What can you say? Also, Dara will be moving now to the Mafia's mansion!