Chapter 14

The Mafia's Doctor

Dara

 


I heard a phone ringing but I continued to sleep. I felt the weight on the bed shift, telling me that Jiyong was getting up to get it. I opened my eyes slightly to check if my assumption was right.

 

 

Jiyong was sitting upright on the bed. His , fit upper body was revealed as the blanket fell to cover his lap and legs. He
answered the buzzing phone and lifted the cellar device to his ear.

 


Guessing from the lighting in the room, it was early in the morning. I closed my eyes, wishing that night would last a little
longer. I was tired and didn't get to sleep much last night. Even certain parts of my body were completely sore.

 

 

"Ciao, papà," Jiyong said to his dad that was on the other end of the line. He went silent, listening to what his father had to say.

 

 

Jiyong rubbed his forehead as he began to talk in his mother tongue, stressed. "Alright. Bye."

 

 

I asked, "Is everything okay?"

 

 

"I have to go to Italy to meet my father."

 

 

"Right now?"

 

 


"Yeah, I should leave right now since its a 12-hour flight to get there."

 

 

Jiyong got off the bed and slipped on his boxers that were on the floor.

 


"I've never been to Italy," I stated.

 


"Nor will you today," He replied, catching my drift. "He wants me to go over there for some dangerous business. Besides, you are starting a new training session."

 

 

Jiyong gathered his clothes off the ground and neatly tossed them on the bed,organizing the clothes to make it easier for him to dress. Holding the blanket to my chest, I covered my self.

 

 

"With who?" I asked. If Taeyang was going to be a replacement for Jiyong, I wasn't going to even bother attending.

 

 

"Chaerin, I don't think she's busy."

 


"Okay." I said as I swooped for his suit coat, "I'm going to go take a shower." I secured the jacket on me, making sure I wasn't so exposed and walked to my bathroom.

 

 

In the middle of my shower, I heard my bedroom door open and close. Jiyong must have left to go to his room to get ready.

 

 

"Holy ," I said to myself as I stopped shampooing my hair.

 

 

He was gone and now it was time for me to freak out.

 

 

" me." I cursed.

 


He did me. Nothing close to making love, it was fast paced, rough even. Yet, the act was hot and heavy. I put my hands to my face as I cringed at myself, accidentally sending the shampoo into my eyes. Quickly to get rid of the burning sensation, I washed off the suds off.

 


I had put out on the first date. Where were my morals? I wasn't even drunk to make the mistake. Sure Jiyong said that he didn't plan on making us a one-time thing, but he didn't say anything about a relationship. He could have meant that he wanted the friends with benefits thing for all I know.

 


I pulled away from the shower. If I continue to flip out in there, the whole world will go through a drought. Fast, I changed into leggings and a loose extra large white tee shirt. I grabbed my phone from my purse and exited my room in my running shoes.

 

 

Down the stairs, I went to the dining room. The room was empty for people weren't usually awake at 5 in the morning. However, all the cold foods were already prepared. I grabbed four
finger sandwiches and stuffed them into my mouth, in a complete ladylike manner of course. It was delicious, just like all the other meals I had from the kitchen. The cooks never fail to satisfy my taste buds.

 

 

I grabbed a few more sandwiches and headed down the hall to the elevator. As I got in, I looked at my reflection. My eyes
widen as I touched my neck. It was all covered with hickeys.

 

 

Before the elevator could reach the fourth floor, I clicked the button for the 3rd floor to stop by my room to cover the purple,
blue, and red skin discoloration.

 


Jiyong

 


The dangerous errand was more fatal than you'd think. My father called me to get my younger sister back to Korea.
Apparently, Dami was bothering him in Italy. She loved to make our dad mad.

 

 

Dami claims that is how she shows her affection toward him. It doesn't take much to get our father all boiled up. He had
quite the temper.  I packed items into my suitcase. I tossed in clothes, shoes, cologne, sunglasses, watches, and weapons. Knowing that Dami was one stubborn sister, I was ready for three nights and four days. 

 

 

Before leaving my room, I checked my appearance in the mirror. I was dressed in sweats for the long flight. My hair was
slightly damp from the shower. I didn't bother to do my hair since it'll get ruin if I ended up sleeping. Ruffling my it to make
myself at least look presentable, I walked out with my suitcase rolling beside me. 

 


I stood in front of the closed elevator doors, waiting. When the elevator arrived, the open doors revealed Dara. A smile surfaced to my lips.

 


"You're done already?" Dara asked.

 


I nodded. "Yup, all packed." 

 


She stayed in the elevator as I entered. As Dara pushed the button to bring us to the ground floor, I noticed that she had put
makeup on. The even skin complexion at her neck and the foundation colored stain on the collar of her white shirt told me
she was purposely hiding my love marks. 

 


I grabbed her chin and lifted her head up.

 


"Where are my hickeys?" I asked, making sure that my hot breath fanned her neck.

 


I smirked when I felt her shiver. "Could have sworn I gave you some. Maybe I should try again." 

 


I leaned forward to put my lips on herskin but it was bad timing. We arrived on the ground floor and the metal doors slid open. 

 

 

Dara

 


We stepped out of the moving box. I was glad that no one had caught us, it would have been embarrassing to be caught in
an act of intimacy.

 


"Why are you hiding the hickeys?" Jiyong asked. He was still looking at my neck as we walked down the hall. Jiyong
his thumb and expanded his arm, trying to get my neck.

 

 

"I don't like how it looks," I answered, swatting his hand.

 

 

"I think it looks fine." Jiyong said, nonchalantly. He dropped his arm back to his side.

 

 

"Do you have your passport?" I asked in order to change the topic. At the same time, I was trying to shake off my arousal.

 

 

"I don't need one." Jiyong said, dropping the topic just like I hoped for.

 


"Huh?" I asked.

 


"It's a private jet."

 


I rolled my eyes. I assumed it would be."Wouldn't you still need it to get into Italy?"

 


"They'll recognize me." Jiyong said. He smirked cockily, morphing his face and becoming ier.

 


"Do want to get something to eat?" I asked as we passed the kitchen and dining room.

 


Jiyong shook his head. "I'll eat on the flight."

 


I walked Jiyong to the front door. In the living room, Top, Chaerin, Eric, and Taeyang were talking in the seating area.
They stopped conversing and got up to approach us.

 

 

"What is it about this time?" Eric asked.

 


"I need a ride." Jiyong told Eric.

 


"I knew I should have brought my keys." He said as he patted himself down, checking his pockets. "I'll be right back."

 


Right as Eric walked away, his back turned toward us, Chaerin, Tae, and Top usual expression turned smug.

 


"So... Jiyong... Did you wrap your foil before you checked her oil?" Taeyang said wiggling his eyebrows.

 

 

"Did you dress him up before you mess her up?" Top asked, joining in on the taunting.

 

 

"Did you cover your stone before you bone?"

 


"Did you bag the mole and then do her hole?"

 

 

The two went back and forth. I covered my face with my hand, not from embarrassment but because I was stifling my laughter.

 

 

"Did you leash your pet before you launch your jet?"

 

 

"Did you armor the tank before you enter the flank?"

 

 

Jiyong just stood, arms crossed as he leaned over the handle of the suitcase.

 


"Are you guys done yet?"

 


"Answer the question. Did you cover your pipe, you dumb wipe?" Chaerin chimed in, using a different tone than Tae's and Top's. Her seriousness ruined the joking mood.

 


"We plead the fifth." I said, smiling at Jiyong.

 


He winked back at me and I giggled.

 

 

Eric came back with his keys and everyone dropped the topic.

 

 

"What does your dad need you for?" Eric asked Jiyong.

 

 

"He needs me to deal with Dami." He sighed.

 

 

"Geez," Chaerin commented as she patted Jiyong's back in pity.

 

 

"Good luck, soldier," Taeyang said, saluting him.

 

 

Jiyong copied the gesture. "Thanks, man. I'll need it."

 

 

I didn't know much about Dami. Taeyang and Top said that she was hot and had a banging body, typical them. Jiyong described his younger sister to be rebellious and a pain in the . I wasn't
going to take his word for it until I meet her since Chaerin told me that she was great girl that was easy to get along with.

 

 

"Let's go." Eric opened the door and walked out. I waved to say goodbye, but Jiyong hesitated to follow Eric. As if he wasn't
ready.

 


"Did you forget something?" I asked.

 

 

Jiyong shook his head and I realized that he was closer than I remembered. He at his pink lips as he leaned in. Then he stopped, his face inches away from mine. His eyes moved from my lips to the crowd that was watching us.

 


Chaerin rolled her eyes. "Just kiss already. We already know you guys did the dirty deed."

 

 

Jiyong laughed. His eyes were set on my mouth once again and he leaned in, all the way this time. His hands were at my neck as we locked lips. Just like the first time, my knees nearly gave out.

 

 

He pulled away, only to give me one last peck on the cheek. "Bye."

 


"Bye," I said, breathless.

 


I watch Jiyong get into the car with Eric. After they drove off, I closed the door and turned to Chaerin, Top, and Taeyang.

 

 

"Who punched you?" Top asked, concerned and shocked.

 

 

"Huh? Where?" I touched my arms, wondering if Top was talking about the bruises he gave me from the time we sparred.

 

 

He pointed at my neck. My hand flew up to my neck to cover the
hickey. Jiyong must have rubbed off the foundation and concealer during our kiss goodbye with his hand. I felt a blush rise to my cheeks as I awkwardly chuckled. Chaerin shook her head.

 

 

"Its a hickey, you idiot."

 

 

--

 

 

Dara

 


"Give me an hour," Chaerin said as we walked into the dining room.

 


I grabbed another one of the finger sandwiches. "Sounds good."

 

 

Chaerin was whisked away by people who need to talk to her and I took the chance to head to my room. As I waited in the elevator to take me up to my floor, I unlocked my phone to check my notifications.

 


I found it odd that I didn't receive one text message. I expected at least Gummy was going to be my biggest problem. It was her that I was planning to meet on the day Jiyong basically kidnapped me.

 

 

She would have seen my car and noticed I wasn't around and probably would have freaked out if I didn't answer my phone.
I thought if I were ever to get my phone back that it would be filled by unread text messages and missed calls from Gummy
and I would have needed to come up with a crazy explanation to cover up the fact that I'm now in organized crime.

 

 

I made it to my room by the time I went into the message app. I laid down on my bed when I went to Gummy's chat. My jaw dropped as I read the lengthy conversation.

 

 

Gummy: I see your car but I don't see you. Where are you?

 

Gummy: Dara, are you okay? Where are you?

 

Gummy: Is it because you don't want to pay?

 

Gummy: I already ordered and paid for your drink. You can come out now.

 

Gummy: Sandara Park, this is not funny.

 

Me (Dara): Hey, sorry. My phone was on silent and in my purse.

 

Gummy: Where are you?

 


Me (Dara): Just when I got into the donut shop, I got a call from my mother. It was urgent and I had to go but there wasn't
enough gas in my car to take me so I called a cab.

 


Gummy: You're going to Busan??? What happened?? Is she alright??

 


Me (Dara): She is, but my dad isn't. He's in the hospital and the doctors don't know why.

 


I frowned. It looks like I didn't need a cover-up story since Aurelio got itcovered. I scrolled down reading the newest of the message, from three days ago.

 


Gummy: PROSTATE CANCER?!?

 


Me (Dara): I know! I can't believe it! What am I going to do?

 


I pinched the bridge of my nose as I sighed. Aurelio's creativity took it too far. His excuse as to why he couldn't pick up her phone calls was that he, pretending to be me, had caught a case of a sore throat when accidentally taking a drink of water that belonged to the passenger next to me on the train ride to Busan.

 

 

Seeing the Aurelio was meddling with my phone, I decided to look through my phone log. It showed that I had declined calls from my mother. Was Aurelio trying to get me killed? It's one thing to miss a call from my mom but it's another when I
decline them. I went back to my text messages and went to my mom's chat, hoping that he had given her a reason.

 

 

Mom: Why aren't you answering my calls?

 

 

Me (Dara): My phone is glitching. It won't let me answer any calls.

 

 

Mom: What is glitching?

 


Me (Dara): It's kind of like a malfunction.

 


Mom: Have you tried telling Siri to make it stop?

 

 

I chuckled. I bet Aurelio, being the savvy tech he is, got a laugh out of that. I got out of messages and went to my emails. Other than subscriptions, most of my unread emails were about the
Walking Patient incident.

 

 

Not wanting to bring my mood down, I left them unread and went on Instagram until Chaerin knocked on my door.

 

 

"It's open." I yelled out from my bed. Chaerin let herself in. "Get off the bed."

 


"Why?" I asked, getting off the bed.

 

 

Chaerin ripped the blankets off the bed and threw the pillows onto the floor. "We need to get these to the laundry room to
clean out the cooties."

 


I laughed. I haven't heard the word "cooties" since elementary school. Once my made bed was stripped down to the white mattress, we left my bedroomwith blankets and pillows in our hands.

 

 

Chaerin and I brought them into the laundry room. It was a large room filled with every type of laundry detergent for everyone's
preferences and 10 pairs of washers and dryers. The layout still made the room feel spacey event with all the stuff inside. Lined up against the wall, the washers stacked over the dryers. D

 

 

Dividing them from the next pair of machines were shelves that displayed the laundry soap and bleaches. In the middle of the walking space, a big and long island with a bunch of big sinks stood.

 

 

Chaerin shoved the blankets into one washer while I threw the pillows into another. After we got the washers washing, I walked further into the room and opened the two doors that led to the
big closet that consisted of bed sets. Bed sheets with matching pillowcases and blankets can be found in any color of the rainbow from vivid yellow to pastel purple.

 


"I'll call someone to get those to your room," Chaerin said. She looked at her watch, "We should get going. I have exactly an hour."

 


"What got you busy?" I asked as we walked out of the laundry room.

 

"I have some people to threaten." I nodded, leaving the conversation at where it was at.

 


Jiyong

 


I took a sip of my whiskey as I looked out of the plane's window. I was thousands of feet up in the air and no matter how many times I've taken a plane to travel all over the world, I'll never get used to turbulence. 

 


I took my phone out and looked at the lock screen. I have changed it this morning after I took the picture I had switched it to. Before the phone call, I got from my father, I was already awake and I had woken up to a beautiful sight. 

 

 

The screen showed Dara. She was fast asleep with her facing me. Her long brown hair draped over and down
her shoulders. Before taking the lovely photo, I moved the blanket to cover her lower half to keep her from being too
exposed. 

 


I grinned as I took another sip of my drink. Both the picture on my phone and the view outside my plane window were
comparably breathtaking. 

 


Dara

 


"Why aren't we going to the gym?" I asked as I buckled my seatbelt.

 


Chaerin smiled. "Today's training is special."

 


Instead of driving into the city, we drove in the opposite direction. As we passed Aurelio's house, the landscape of soft
rolling green hills changed into what looked like a camping ground.

 


"Training for surviving in the woods?" I asked.

 


Chaerin laughed, "No."

 


I let out a breath of relief as I heard the answer I was hoping for. Chaerin droved off the road onto a dirt trail that led to a gravel parking spot surrounded by dry, yellow grass and almost dead trees that barely had any green on them. We got out of the car and Chaerin went to the back of the car. From the trunk, she
took out a duffle bag.

 


"Am I burying a dead body?" I asked, mortified.

 

 

"Follow me." She said, tossing the bag over her shoulder. I worried since she ignored my question.

 

 

I trailed after her. "Chae, I'm not burying anyone."

 

 

"Calm down, notice that I don't have any shovels."

 

 

She led me to a path that brought us to a small clearing. A squirrel in a nearby bush quickly turned around, after spotting us, and ran away. Far ahead in the distance, I spotted some shooting targets. They varied from bullseyes to mannequins.

 

 

Beside me, Chaerin dropped the bag to the floor. She tied her hair with the hairband on her wrist. When she was done, she bent down to the bag.She pulled apart the flap, revealing a
variety of guns and ammunition. I spotted shotguns, rifles and other shooting weapons.

 


"I'm going to teach you how to use this bad boy." Chaerin pulled out a black pistol. I watched her quickly load it as if this was 100th time doing so. "You need to get used to shooting this because, other than me, it'll be your best friend. This guy
seriously comes in handy."

 


When she was done, she stretched her arm to hand it to me. I nudge her hand away. I made sure that I didn't touch the gun as I did.

 


"I'm a doctor. I save lives, not take them." I told her.

 


"But it's for self-defense." She said, trying to convince me. "And you'll be shooting at the targets today, not humans."

 


"Let's head back home," I told her, walking toward the direction we came from.

 


"Dara." She said, grabbing my arm and turning me to face her, "Mafia business is nasty. If you get put in a situation, you have to think it's either your life or their life."

 

 

Living with the mafia, so far, hasn't been as problematic as the people made it seem. Besides, I'm the doctor. It's not my role to do the dirty work. All I have to do is stay at the mafia house and wait for someone to get injured badly enough for them to come into my office.

 

 

If they decide to bring me to their meets, I'll just wait in the car until they need my assistance. In other words, learning how to shoot a gun was a waste of time for me. Even so, I don't think I have a strong enough mentality to pull the trigger. I shook my head, "There won't be a time for that. I won't have to shoot a gun."

 

 

Reluctantly, Chaerin gave in. She put the black pistol back into the bag and zipped it up.

 


"Okay, fine," Chaerin said, hoisting the duffle bag over her shoulder and walking past by me.

 

 

"I don't know how you are going to tell your boyfriend."

 

 

--

 

Hi! How are you guys? 🙂